Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 14" (7/1-2/09)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which 3 couples do you think deserves to be in the bottom three?
Jeanine Mason & Phillip Chbeeb
0%
Melissa Sandvig & Ade Obayomi
11.11%
Kayla Radomski & Kuponohi'ipoi "Kupono" Aweau
44.44%
Randi Evans & Evan Kasprzak
55.56%
Caitlin Kinney & Jason Glover
77.78%
Janette Manrara & Brandon Bryant
0%
Karla Garcia & Vitolio Jeune **NEW**
88.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-09, 08:00 PM

Received 835 Likes on 546 Posts

NOTE: I started this thread tonight so that the poll closes right before the "Results Show" on Thursday. - GB74

"The Top 14" - Wednesday, July 1 - 8/7c - 2 hours

The top 14 dancers perform on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, the series that has America on its feet. Dancers must impress the judges with their moves and rigorous routines in order to remain in the competition.

"Results Show" - Thursday, July 2 - 9/8c - 1 hour

It's elimination night on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and two dancers will be sent home.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-30-09 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 08:02 PM

Re: So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 14" (7/1-2/09)

THE TOP 14 COUPLES

Jeanine Mason
CONTEMPORARY
Phillip Chbeeb
POPPING/WTF

Kayla Radomski
CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ
Kupono Aweau
CONTEMPORARY

Randi Evans
JAZZ/CONTEMPORARY
Evan Kasprzak
BROADWAY

Caitlin Kinney
CONTEMPORARY BALLET
Jason Glover
CONTEMPORARY LYRICAL

Janette Manrara
SALSA
Brandon Bryant
CONTEMPORARY

Melissa Sandvig
CLASSICAL BALLET
Ade Obayomi
CONTEMPORARY

THE NEWEST COUPLE
Karla Garcia
CONTEMPORARY JAZZ
Vitolio Jeune
CONTEMPORARY

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-02-09 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay! I just got caught up on my DVR of all the shows. I'm kinda rooting for Ade & Melissa at this point. They seem incredibly versatile and I enjoy watching them.

Disappointed with Caitlin & Jason. I really wanted them to be better than they turned out. I was originally rooting for them, but that's sort of waned since the past episodes.

Anyone have a heads up on who's doing what tonight?
Old 07-01-09, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shilex
From the Television Without Pity forums:

Guest Judge:
Spoiler:
Mia Michaels

Dances:
Spoiler:
Brandon and Jeannette - Cha Cha by Jean Marc - Said Mia loved him, and that it was amazing.

Kayla and Kupono - Jazz by Sonya - Vampire theme, judges loved it.

Evan and Randi - Broadway - Judges were dissapointed in Evan, ouch.

Jason and Caitlin - Pop Jazz by Brian Friedman - Caitlin is an alien trying to impregnate the last human; Mary thought it was wtf.

Phillip and Jeanine - Hip Hop by Napoleon and Tabitha - Song was love lockdown and they were chained at the ankles, said it was awesome.

Melissa and Ade - Pas De Duex - To Romeo & Juliet Im thinking she meant the Two Households monologue that they used on SYTYCDAU but Im not sure.

Karla and Vitolio - Quickstep by Jean Marc - Said Karla did a quick change in the middle (thats a magic trick where they change clothes really fast) and said that it was entertaining.
Old 07-01-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shilex
Yay! I just got caught up on my DVR of all the shows. I'm kinda rooting for Ade & Melissa at this point. They seem incredibly versatile and I enjoy watching them.

Disappointed with Caitlin & Jason. I really wanted them to be better than they turned out. I was originally rooting for them, but that's sort of waned since the past episodes.

Yup Me too. I think Caitlin is an amazing dancer---when she does her solos. She loses something dancing with a partner. No connection at all. No performance quality to her at all.

My fave couples are Melissa and Ade...)they are emotionally connected and have rocked every dance so far. I think they have the best technique and performance. She is amazing.) and Evan and Randi.. so much joy and energy in their dance.
Old 07-01-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
judges loved it...
said it was awesome...
Judges were dissapointed...
When is the show recorded? I had assumed it was live with the exception of maybe the guest performances & maybe the group dance.
Old 07-01-09, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
When is the show recorded? I had assumed it was live with the exception of maybe the guest performances & maybe the group dance.
From what I understand, the Performance Shows are taped on Tuesday nights and aired the next day.

The Results Show is live on the East Coast (Eastern and Central) and tape delayed on the West Coast (Mountain and Pacific).

Sometimes the musical performances on the Results Show are pre-recordered (like the Veronica's last week).
Old 07-01-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought I'd hate it, but the hip hop was great.

Cha-cha and quickstep were ok.

Pas de deux was good.

Yeah, the pop jazz was crap. Weirdo stuff like that hurts the ratings.

I know I liked the broadway but I can't remember it. And I don't remember the contemporary. Wish I recorded it. -edit: checked rickey.org. Remember them now. Both were good.

Last edited by Ranger; 07-01-09 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-01-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

Loved Melissa and Ade, I actually picked up the phone and voted for the first time ever. I think my girl Caitlin may be going home tomorrow, I just can't see that dance getting votes and her and Jason being in the bottom 3 three weeks in a row is going to be the death toll for at least Caitlin, I think Jason will stick around.
Old 07-01-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bottom 3 (tough to choose 3, but bottom 2 are easier)

Jason and Caitlin - Pop Jazz by Brian Friedman - Caitlin never sold her part of the number, and it showed repeatedly on her face. Jason wasn't memorable in the dance, either. But Caitlin's body was bangin' in the pleather outfit.

Evan and Randi - Broadway - Lacked pop and pizzazz. Needed more energy and technique.

Phillip and Jeanine - Hip Hop by Napoleon and Tabitha - I was too distracted by the chain to appreciate the number.

But since Philip is so popular, it'll mean that Vitolio and Karla will most likely be in the bottom 3.

Karla and Vitolio - Quickstep by Jean Marc - Not totally polished, but Karla was the weaker of the 2 performers, plus Karla's body language during the judging towards Vitolio wasn't all that convincing of new-formed chemistry.

Solid numbers:

Brandon and Jeannette - Cha Cha by Jean Marc - So far, all their numbers are fast-paced, wonder how Jeanette will handle the slower, more controlled dance genres.

Kayla and Kupono - Jazz by Sonya - Visually the most interesting number of the night.

Melissa and Ade - Pas De Duex - This was right in Melissa's wheelhouse, and Ade rose to the challenge to sell his role, while making all the lift look effortless, and Melissa was having a ball in this dance.
Old 07-01-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was pretty funny hearing the judges after the alien impregnation dance. I have never heard Nigel *not* praise a choreagrapher. And Cat's dress -- I didn't realize that she has no breasts. Not even an "A" cup.

As far as the performances go, last week I said that Melissa would not make it to the Top 10. After that performance she will though I'm not quite sure who she will replace - possibly Randi.

Originally Posted by Patman
Bottom 3 (tough to choose 3, but bottom 2 are easier)

Jason and Caitlin - Pop Jazz by Brian Friedman - Caitlin never sold her part of the number, and it showed repeatedly on her face. Jason wasn't memorable in the dance, either. But Caitlin's body was bangin' in the pleather outfit.

Evan and Randi - Broadway - Lacked pop and pizzazz. Needed more energy and technique.

Phillip and Jeanine - Hip Hop by Napoleon and Tabitha - I was too distracted by the chain to appreciate the number.

But since Philip is so popular, it'll mean that Vitolio and Karla will most likely be in the bottom 3.
I came up with the same bottom three. Of course, over the past two weeks, I am 1 for 6.

Anyway, my prediction of who will be sent home is... Karla and Vitolio. I liked Karla, too bad she got stuck with Vitolio.
Old 07-01-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as the performances go, last week I said that Melissa would not make it to the Top 10. After that performance she will though I'm not quite sure who she will replace - possibly Randi.
The top 10 girls is fairly easy to figure. Randi, Melissa, Jeanine, Janette ad Kayla are locks. Some because of their partners and some because the judges love them.

The men are a little more wide open. Ade, Brandon, and Phillip are locks. I'd go with Jason but he's just not connecting with the audience for some reason.
Old 07-02-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I kept on looking at the list of participants in the second post thinking "this can't be right". It's missing Kayla and Kupono:

Kayla Radomski
CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ
Kupono Aweau
CONTEMPORARY
Old 07-02-09, 12:56 AM

I kept on looking at the list of participants in the second post thinking "this can't be right". It's missing Kayla and Kupono:
You're right. I fixed it.
Old 07-02-09, 12:59 AM

My picks...

Bottom Three Couples:
  • Kayla & Kupono
  • Caitlin & Jason
  • Karla & Vitolio

Going Home:
  • Caitlin & Kupono

New Couple:
  • Kayla & Jason
Old 07-02-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,067 Likes on 880 Posts

Was Melissa's outfit anything like last week's?
Old 07-02-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here’s a good “from the audience” report of the Top 14 show:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20289063,00.html

It’s interesting reading about the things that didn’t make it to TV or little tidbits like how they tape fans standing up with signs before the show while audience members around them cheer – thus after the dancers perform the clip of the audience may be from the earlier taping.

Apparently the judges talks / critiques are cut way down for TV which is kind of funny because normally I listen to about fifteen seconds of Nigel then skip to the next couple. The judges talk *way* too much, especially the guest judges. C’mon guys, at the start of the show just say “we’d like to thank all of the choreographers, except for the guy who had that stupid Alien impregnation dance” – that would save about four minutes minutes of airtime right there. And limit the guest judge to maybe 20 seconds tops. Actually, the whole show should be either a 60 or 90 minute show with only seven dancers.

Anyway… take a look at the above report if you want to read about what it’s like to be in the audience.
Old 07-02-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Loved Melissa and Ade. Very classy and beautiful number.

I actually liked Jeannine and Phillip's number. Personally I think Napoleon and Tabitha create some of the most unique Hip/Hop dances compared to Dave Scott, Shane Sparks and Dan Karaty. I thought the chain was very cool and I was amazed they managed to stay in sync without screwing up or even tripping.

Hated Brian Friedman's number with Caitlin and Jason.

Some people here have mentioned how they don't like Mia and she comes across as a bitch. But, I actually like her. I think she is very articulate and offers very sound advice to the contestants.
Old 07-02-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Hated Brian Friedman's number with Caitlin and Jason.

Some people here have mentioned how they don't like Mia and she comes across as a bitch. But, I actually like her. I think she is very articulate and offers very sound advice to the contestants.
Agree on the Brian F. routine - it was bad.

I think Mia did a TON of backpeddling with her opinion of Brandon. Talk about a spin Dr.! I wouldn't be surprised if she hired someone to write that little speech about "I'm hard on you because you are so good." It was painfully clear she was ragging on him in audtions, and did not like him or his danicing - but when she realized she was freaking crazy, she had to do something to save face.
Old 07-02-09, 08:25 PM

Re: My picks...

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Bottom Three Couples:
  • Kayla & Kupono
  • Caitlin & Jason
  • Karla & Vitolio
Two out of three ain't bad (3rd week running).
Old 07-02-09, 08:58 PM

Spoiler:
Karla and Vitolio
Old 07-02-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

THE COUPLE LEAVING TONIGHT
Karla Garcia
CONTEMPORARY JAZZ
Vitolio Jeune
CONTEMPORARY

The other two couples in the bottom three were:

Kayla & Kupono
Karla & Vitolio

I was only one for three on picking the bottom three couples, but I did predict the two who would be going home correctly. Woohoo! Hot tamale train!

Last edited by Heat; 07-02-09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem with who went home. The voting is strange this season though, seems like there is a hip-hop backlash this season. Has there been a hip[hop number that hasn't resulted in a bottom 3?

Glad I get to look at Caitlin and Jeanine for another week.
Old 07-02-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And am I the only one that's bothered that Cat says "Let's hear it for IT's Kayla"?
Old 07-03-09, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
And am I the only one that's bothered that Cat says "Let's hear it for IT's Kayla"?
Well, that isn't what she's saying, but yes, I'm still bothered by it. What she is saying (in this example) is "let's hear it for her, it's Kayla." But the "her" or "him" usually comes out as "er" or "im", and tends to run together with the "for". Why can't she just say "let's hear it for Kayla"? It's almost as bad as saying "jidges", which they apparently won't let her say any more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.