DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   So You Think You Can Dance - "Vegas Week / Top 20 Revealed" (6/3-4/09) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/556096-so-you-think-you-can-dance-vegas-week-top-20-revealed-6-3-4-09-a.html)

Goldberg74 06-03-09 08:43 AM

So You Think You Can Dance - "Vegas Week / Top 20 Revealed" (6/3-4/09)

"Vegas Callbacks #1" - Wednesday, June 3 - 8/7c - 2 hours

The search continues tonight for America's Favorite Dancer when SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE lands in Las Vegas for callbacks. See what happens when the best dancers skilled in everything from ballroom and ballet to salsa, jive, hip-hop and krumping try to strike it rich in the "Vegas Callbacks #1" episode of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE airing Wednesday, June 3 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

"Vegas Callbacks #2 (Top 20 Chosen)" - Thursday, June 4 - 9/8c - 1 hour

The search for America's Favorite Dancer continues tonight. See what happens when the best dancers skilled in everything from ballroom and ballet to salsa, jive, hip-hop and krumping go for broke and a spot in the Top 20 in the "Vegas Callbacks #2 (Top 20 Chosen)" episode of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE airing Thursday, June 4 (9:00-10:00PM ET/PT) on FOX.

<div style="width: 500px; padding: 20px; border: solid thin black; margin: 20px;">Links for Season 5!:
So You Think You Can Dance (The 1&O Season 5 Auditions Thread - 5/21-22, 28/09)
</div>

Goldberg74 06-03-09 09:18 PM

Re: So You Think You Can Dance - "Vegas Week / Top 20 Revealed" (6/3-4/09)

Wow.

Some surprising cuts.

But I'm glad...

Spoiler:
Evan and Ryan are still there at the end!

Bring on the Top 20 tomorrow! It's gonna be fun...

Patman 06-03-09 09:52 PM

Pretty grueling Vegas episode. There are plenty who have gotten no love from the producers so far. Why didn't Natalie get to dance for her life? Ah well, they even sent home Fantasia (Bianca).

Mary Murphy had some work done on her face between the auditions and Vegas week.

Timber 06-03-09 10:07 PM

I wish I could remember names but I really like the sister (younger sister got cut) so I'm pulling for her at this point.

Rainmaker 06-03-09 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=Goldberg74;9484426]Wow.

Some surprising cuts.

But I'm glad...

Spoiler:
Evan and Ryan are still there at the end!

[QUOTE=Goldberg74;9484426]

But in the preview for Thursday's episode...

Spoiler:
Evan and Ryan are up on stage receiving their final verdict together, making me thing they may be the last two guys to find out the news and one gets in and the other doesn't. That would be pretty cruel, but it seems like something that the judges would do.

Heat 06-03-09 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 9484504)
I wish I could remember names but I really like the sister (younger sister got cut) so I'm pulling for her at this point.

Caitlen Kinney. Her sister Megan Kinney was the one that was cut. Caitlen also had hip reconstructive surgery - pretty good doctor since she is moving so well now.

As for the Kasprzak brothers, I'm hoping that it's the older one who goes through. I'm assuming that just one will go through since they are so much alike.

The ones that impressed me were the girl of the Japanese couple (though the guy was cut), and the Asian guy who was in the Miami ballet.

Had a music question - when they were showing snippits of the final solo dance (at the end of the show) there was a version of the Rolling Stone's "Gimme Shelter" playing. Any idea who was doing the cover?

Patman 06-03-09 10:37 PM

Megan has dead mouth, no star quality, just comes off a little dopey from the neck up at times. Caitlen has much better lines (rockin' bod, too), but probably can't do the contemporary stuff well enough.

I'm already tired of Lil' C.

PerryD 06-04-09 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 9484539)
The ones that impressed me were the girl of the Japanese couple (though the guy was cut), and the Asian guy who was in the Miami ballet.

Yeah, the girl they keep calling "Oscar", at least that's what it sounds like. I'm pretty sure it should be pronounced "Ah-soo-ka" (Asuka).

Flave 06-04-09 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 9484539)
Had a music question - when they were showing snippits of the final solo dance (at the end of the show) there was a version of the Rolling Stone's "Gimme Shelter" playing. Any idea who was doing the cover?

Group called Pawn Shop. For some reason they felt the need to rename it "Shot Away":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk1lUYfJw-4

Goldberg74 06-04-09 09:12 PM

It's gonna be a good Top 20.

I was hoping that...
Spoiler:
... Ryan would have been the brother to go in. But Evan is good... and I hope Ryan comes back for Season 6.

Timber 06-04-09 09:32 PM

Excellent, Caitlen made it and the unitard chick with the insane body made it as well. Going to be some eye candy this season.

Patman 06-04-09 09:53 PM

I was really sad that Alex couldn't be let out of his contract, hopefully he'll either be back in the fall, or next summer. That bit got me to shed a tear at his pain of learning he has to go back to the ballet dance company until he's done with his contract.

I might have enjoyed seeing more of Deena, who got no airtime until the very end in this episode, because she could definitely dance with attitude. Not surprised that Ricki (Asuka's partner) got cut.

Not too shabby in the eye candy department for the gals, but it feels like a weak field for the guys, maybe a good 5 out of 10 all-around dancers with some personality.

I am not quite sold on unitard chick having an insane body, but Caitlen does, as does Kayla, and one of the brunettes (besides Janette). There was one brunette with a Jay Leno chin, though.

Timber 06-04-09 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 9486761)
There was one brunette with a Jay Leno chin, though.

I think you're talking about Paris, from the bits they've showed of her I think she's fairly attractive, but just looking up a picture of her she does have quite the chin.

Shilex 06-04-09 10:31 PM

I'm really not feelin that tall lanky guy who wears the suit (hip-hop?). I never thought he was that great. And they kept giving him second chances.

It was a bummer that Alex couldn't get out of his contract. All that hard work in Vegas and he would've made the top 20. I was looking forward to seeing him dance. :(

It's weird because half of the top 20 we've never even really seen dance at all. It's kinda unfair that they didn't even get a few seconds of screen time.

Heat 06-04-09 10:35 PM

Not a bad group.

Sad to see that Alex couldn't do it - hopefully he comes back for next season, I think it was clear that he would have been in the Top 20 if he could have been.

And I too was hoping that Ryan was one to get in. Oh well.

I haven't watched this show since Season 1 and can't remember the format - is it like American Idol used to be in that four people go home for the first three weeks leaving a top 12?

DWilson 06-05-09 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Heat (Post 9486827)
Not a bad group.

Sad to see that Alex couldn't do it - hopefully he comes back for next season, I think it was clear that he would have been in the Top 20 if he could have been.

And I too was hoping that Ryan was one to get in. Oh well.

I haven't watched this show since Season 1 and can't remember the format - is it like American Idol used to be in that four people go home for the first three weeks leaving a top 12?

The group is broken into couples chosen by the producers, and they stay in those couples until they become the Top Ten. Each week the public votes and decides the bottom three male and bottom three female dancers. Then each dancer gets to do a solo for the judges. The judges then send one male and one female dancer home. When they reach the Top; Ten, its strictly the veiwers who vote off the dancers...

PerryD 06-05-09 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shilex (Post 9486822)
It's weird because half of the top 20 we've never even really seen dance at all. It's kinda unfair that they didn't even get a few seconds of screen time.

Yeah, this is also my pet peeve with American Idol. This stuff is taped weeks ago, they could easily edit the finalists into Vegas week to get some more balanced exposure.

seisui 06-05-09 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9485005)
Yeah, the girl they keep calling "Oscar", at least that's what it sounds like. I'm pretty sure it should be pronounced "Ah-soo-ka" (Asuka).

No they pronouncing it right, it is "Oscar" just without the "r" at the end.

Patman 06-05-09 12:02 PM

It's like she's got a silent "u" in her name.

seisui 06-05-09 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9487197)

Originally Posted by Shilex (Post 9486822)

Yeah, this is also my pet peeve with American Idol. This stuff is taped weeks ago, they could easily edit the finalists into Vegas week to get some more balanced exposure.

Its always been like this, half will be ones we've followed from audition and the other half we barely know at all.

Personally, the extra face time makes to difference to me. I've found that dancers who I loved from audition to Vegas week are not the ones I end up rooting for. Case and point, Will and Kourtni from S4. I thought their auditions were aaaaamazing but I ended up rooting for Mark who only really had the 30 sec Bohemian Rhapsody solo screen time. Will & Kourtni has the technical ability but I never connected with them emotionally.

zuffy 06-05-09 09:26 PM

Just want to point out what a pretentious and a fucking annoying bitch Mia is.

Suck to see Alex locked down by a contract. It kind of pisses me off that they like the put some folks in to the top 20 each season because they have "growth" protential... like that hip hop dude from this season and Ivan from like season 2.

Renee 06-05-09 09:57 PM

^ Agreed.

She seemed to be pointlessly rude to a few contestants (most notably Brandon). The other judges apparently talked him up to the point where her expectations just weren't met, but that isn't necessarily his fault. If Mary hadn't started bawling over his initial audition, I wonder if things would have been different.

Patman 06-05-09 10:07 PM

I sort of get what Mia and Lil C are talking about when they speak of Brendan, as he's a very powerful dancer, but lack a certain intangible that connects emotionally to viewers or dance aficianados. It's one thing to be able to do fantastic moves, it's another to interpret the dance (the whole package: music and choreography, and the character required for the dance) and hit people's emotional core. For Mia and Lil' C, it just ain't happening for them yet. I think for Brendan's naysayers, his dancing is all sound and fury, yet signifying nothing.

Original Desmond 06-05-09 10:18 PM

good vegas week, really enjoyed it

Top 20 look solid, should be a good season

DJariya 06-06-09 05:07 AM

I really liked this Top 20.

Why the hell would Alex audition for this show if there was even any uncertainty if he could compete or not? Suppose Nigel and the judges chose him to be in the Top 20, so what was he expecting to do? I think he just wasted his time and all the judges times. Was he hoping that Nigel could talk to his boss to let him off?

I really don't have any issues with Mia's harsh criticisms. There is definitely more to being a dancer than being well built, fit and powerful on the dance floor. You have to connect with the audience on an emotional level. Everything that Patman just stated above is what I thought about Mia's criticisms. I think she's probably harder on him because Mary overhyped the shit out of him in the auditions.

I don't know how much of Cat's persona is her TV personality, but to me she really seems like a genuinely nice person who cares about the show and these contestants.

The only problem I had was how blatantly scripted it was to have the 2 brothers as the final 2 guys being decided for the Top 20.

I don't get the pronunciation thing was Oskah, Asuka or whatever they are trying to pronounce it as.