Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody worried about JON AND KATE PLUS 8?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anybody worried about JON AND KATE PLUS 8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Anybody worried about JON AND KATE PLUS 8?

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Good one!

But I admit - I'm a dude, and I still watch this show. Why? Cuz I got 2 kids and it's hard enuff as it is - I like to see how they do it.
I've got twins myself (age 4).

I used to like the show a lot. But since they've become popular with bigger bank accounts, the edge isn't there anymore. A whole show focused on how to get all the kids to a 4th of July parade is much more interesting than seeing Jon get hair implants, or watching them appear on Oprah.

I think Kate gets a bad rap. Earlier episodes showed she is a woman of good character. (Of course, this is just TV...how the hell does any mere viewer know?) I also thinks she's pretty hot (especially in her younger, pre-marriage days).

It really is unfortunate, however, to have the kids witness the public spectacle of their parent's fallen marriage. But that's what we get for being famous.
Old 05-26-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomsDave
I doubt there was ever an affair. Just a creation of our rumor-loving media these days.

Kate being bitchy is over-hyped, she's not that bad. I've seen worse, and she seems to truly do the best for her kids. The comparisons to Octa-Mom are unfair, IMO. She's wasn't trying to have 6 kids at a time, unlike the other freak.

The show's more about the kids anyway, who are adorable. If you don't think those kids are cute, you're dead inside.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 05-26-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I found it interesting that Jon quit his job to stay home and watch the kids but when Jon wasn't around and Kate had to do it all she did was complain. I also loved the jabs that Jon through in about not being able to speak right and not knowing how to breath correctly.

Looks like Jon is in it for the kids at this point. "Married at 22, twins at 23, and sextuplets at 27." plus a wife that's never at home. Not hard to see why things are going the way they're going.
Old 05-26-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched the ending of season 4 and obviously the premiere last night. I think Jon told Kate he wants nothing to do with this show anymore and he wants it to end. She doesn't want it to end. He gave her the ultimatum. I don't think either cheated. I just think Jon told her to pick her family or the show, and she thinks she can have both. He finally grew a pair and decided to walk off.

Jon will get his wish. This show won't last past this season (assuming it stays this way). You can't really watch this show with your kids anymore, unless they ignore the issue and just make it "fun", but then you're nto really "reality" anymore. So they lose viewers there. Plus, the show last night was too depressing for people to keep watching.
Old 05-26-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JoeBoo, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Thinking back to last night's episode, you could deinitely see it when she bitched and moaned that she had to do the party stuff all by herself and how he was not helping her. Back in the day she was not quite like that and she seems to be stretching herself thin now trying to do it all. It seems like this was Jon's way of saying you want help fine but I am not going to do it with them around anymore. I especially liked how he "hammed' it up for the camera when she barked orders to him to get the other bouncy ride dried up for the kids. It seemed like he was really mocking the whole thing and whenever he did interact with the kids on camera he seemed to me at least to be more genuine about it and have be between him and the child and not be look at me with my kid(s).

And to compare them to the Octomom though is a joke to say the least. Not even close as others have said in that they had jobs and last I checked were not living with her parents. If you can compare any of these families to the octomom which I still feel you cannot it would be the woman in the "table of 12" or whatever that show is. She kind of like the octomom has a bit of a screw loose when it comes to thinking. In her case like Jon and Kate had issues right away having kids. So to start they had twin boys and in her words stated that she would like to have a girl though. So they try again and lo and behold get lucky and this time have a boy and girl. Now you would think some sort of satisfaction but "NO" would it not be nice to have another girl. That is where you lose me of let's try one more time and then they have 6 more and end up that the one child I believe has cerebal palsy. That's when I get upset that knowing you already have had not one but 2 sets of multiples that you got to figure you try again you will have multiples and are older yet you go ahead and run the risk of something like that happening is beyond me and the fact not being satisfied. Enough of that long rant, back off my soapbox for now.
Old 05-26-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I agree, Jon just seems like he has checked out completely and Kate is at least trying to keep things normal (as normal as they can be for that family). He had already checked out previously but now he's really taking a backseat to raising the kids. To me he's just being selfish and probably wants to be a bachelor again. He seemed to be better when he had a regular job, but when he quit that he realized being a full time dad wasn't for him.
He was an IT dude, so he probably made, what, $65K/year in PA? They make $75K an episode. He's irrelevant.

As incredibly nutty as Kate is, I think she's handling the fame and the problems that come with that well. I don't see her as only doing the show for the money; I'm sure that's a terrific side effect but nothing about her behavior tells me she's only doing it for the money.
Nothing? You mean like complaining to the camera about your hard luck life, all the whilst having that camera - the thing that's actually causing all the grief - record everything? Oh, the irony burns.

I'm not sure what show you watched. What's the first thing Kate did when she started talking to John? Ordered him around! So Kate-like. She's not even all that bitchy, contrary to what some people around here believe (oh, I've met much worse. Much worse.). She's simply lost all perspective.
Old 05-26-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IT dude in Central PA makes 50k if they are lucky, at 75k per show I would be a full time dad myself.
Old 05-26-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lateralus
IT dude in Central PA makes 50k if they are lucky, at 75k per show I would be a full time dad myself.
I'd blow my brains out being a FTD with 8 kids while the wife flew around the country signing autographs.
Old 05-26-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I'd blow my brains out being a FTD with 8 kids
Fixed.
Old 05-26-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
He was an IT dude, so he probably made, what, $65K/year in PA? They make $75K an episode. He's irrelevant.

Nothing? You mean like complaining to the camera about your hard luck life, all the whilst having that camera - the thing that's actually causing all the grief - record everything? Oh, the irony burns.

I'm not sure what show you watched. What's the first thing Kate did when she started talking to John? Ordered him around! So Kate-like. She's not even all that bitchy, contrary to what some people around here believe (oh, I've met much worse. Much worse.). She's simply lost all perspective.
Thanks for jumping down my throat for stating my opinion.

My point about Jon working was that he seemed to do better when he had something else going on in his life other than his family and the show. He could get away for a while. Now that he's a full time dad, he doesn't seem up to that challenge, at least not with the cameras around as well; it's hard to judge how he might do if it were just him and the kids without several camera people and a producer walking around the house all the time.

Read what I wrote again:
nothing about her behavior tells me she's only doing it for the money.
The word "only" is the important qualifier there. I didn't say she's not doing any of it for the money, I just don't think she's only doing it for the money. Do I think she would put up with the craziness of the show if she weren't getting paid? No way. But I think she recognizes that people are genuinely interested in her family (this thread being a prime example), and as long as the kids have some semblance of normalcy, I don't think she sees the harm.
Old 05-26-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I used to adore this show - A couple with 8 kids, struggling to make ends meet, and seeing how they manage with such a large family.

Now with all the freebies, tabloids, accusations, etc. - the illusion is gone. Multi-million dollar house, endorsement deals, etc.

The reality show has jumped the shark. Anybody watching the season premiere this Monday?

Summed it up PERFECTLY for me. In fact, I've said exactly the same thing. The show is completely different now than it used to be. We have 5 kids and used to like watch the struggles of life w/8. Made us feel better, but now it's just private showings of this and private days at that and the huge mansion--Ugh. Can't really relate to that.

And sorry, but I'd be the same as Jon if I was stuck at home with no job with 8 kids while my wife jetted all across the country on media tours, book signings, etc. Not to mention when she is there she can be awfully belittling. I watched last night, and it was truly painful, but I'm done now.
Old 05-26-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I watched the ending of season 4 and obviously the premiere last night. I think Jon told Kate he wants nothing to do with this show anymore and he wants it to end. She doesn't want it to end. He gave her the ultimatum. I don't think either cheated. I just think Jon told her to pick her family or the show, and she thinks she can have both. He finally grew a pair and decided to walk off.

Jon will get his wish. This show won't last past this season (assuming it stays this way). You can't really watch this show with your kids anymore, unless they ignore the issue and just make it "fun", but then you're nto really "reality" anymore. So they lose viewers there. Plus, the show last night was too depressing for people to keep watching.
This.

That's the impression I get as well. She's too selfish to quit, so she made her "choice" as Jon said.

I couldn't stand the part where she was preparing for the party. I wanted to smack her! She wants pity for doing it by herself, but yet does she ever even stop to think "hey, this is probably how it is for Jon when I'm out on tour..." Nope. Selfish witch. My guess is Jon has a nanny or helper when he's home with the kids, but obviously Kate wants to martyr herself and "do it alllll alone."

It really bothers me that these two consider themselves Christian, but she hasn't once mentioned that perhaps their faith could help them reconcile.
Old 05-26-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I couldn't stand the part where she was preparing for the party. I wanted to smack her! She wants pity for doing it by herself, but yet does she ever even stop to think "hey, this is probably how it is for Jon when I'm out on tour..." Nope. Selfish witch. My guess is Jon has a nanny or helper when he's home with the kids, but obviously Kate wants to martyr herself and "do it alllll alone."
That's what got me. She made it a point to say Jon had "help" when she was away but she was making it seem like she had to do it all on her own.
Old 05-26-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsoos
^
At least Jon and Kate had jobs.

Man talk about uncomfortable, watching tonight's episode was awkward. I think Jon just wants to stop what they're doing and live like normal people. They should really stop the show, for the sake of their relationship and their family.
I can't believe I watched this with my wife. I'm not real familiar with the show, but I'm familiar with the allegations. I have to say I got really tired of Kate saying she was doing all this and that by herself. Obviously she's gone a lot with her book tour and whatnot and Jon stays home. At one point during her rants I turned to my wife and said maybe if she stayed home and worked on fixing her family instead of touring and worrying about the tv show she wouldn't be looking into the camera saying she didn't know what to do.
Old 05-26-09, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I can't believe I watched this with my wife.
Did you at least get a kick out of those fake flash bulbs that were added into the show during post-production? OMG I WAS RIDING THE LOLLERCOASTER. I didn't know they made camcorders with flashes, just like I had no idea that the paparazzi utilized the flashes during the middle of a sunny day. I guess the channel is living up to its name, because I just learned a couple of things.

And as if we needed further proof that Kate is a crazy bitch, she has her kids referring to the paps as "The P-People." Send them to school talking about how they're supposedly being chased by "The P-People" and everyone in their class will cease utilizing the potty.
Old 05-26-09, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Honestly, do you think that Jon would have even had a party for the kids if it had been left to him? It looked like he could barely be bothered to show up. Say what you will about Kate, but at least she was willing to do something special for her kids during all this.

And what about the previous 4 years when Kate stayed home alone with the newborn kids while Jon worked, and without the help of the high dollar nannies and helpers they can afford now? How long has Kate been on the book tours and interviews, maybe 6 months? And Jon chose to quit his job, when he realized that they make a ton more money just doing the show. Again, his choice to be a FTD.

Kate's no angel, but Jon's no innocent victim here either. If he's checked out on his kids and would rather live the single life now, he's a 1st class dick.
Old 05-26-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Honestly, do you think that Jon would have even had a party for the kids if it had been left to him? It looked like he could barely be bothered to show up. Say what you will about Kate, but at least she was willing to do something special for her kids during all this.

And what about the previous 4 years when Kate stayed home alone with the newborn kids while Jon worked, and without the help of the high dollar nannies and helpers they can afford now? How long has Kate been on the book tours and interviews, maybe 6 months? And Jon chose to quit his job, when he realized that they make a ton more money just doing the show. Again, his choice to be a FTD.

Kate's no angel, but Jon's no innocent victim here either. If he's checked out on his kids and would rather live the single life now, he's a 1st class dick.
I'd bet if it was up to John, they would have had had cake and pizza at home ... the way it should be! They could have had that party at home (even with the bouncy tents, etc.) but instead she chose to have it at a PUBLIC park and then bitch when the paparazzi showed up!? Yeah, he wasn't real happy to be there, back in front of the cameras, after she made him run away from the party several times (pick up the cake, go home and get her phone, etc.). And just how much of the work did she do? All I saw her do was totter around in high heels and a skirt ordering around the production assistants.

And your "Kate did it all alone for years" is crap ... yes, he worked full-time in an office trying to support a large family, but he came home at night and helped! She is gone-baby-gone, jet-setting, signing autographs, and staying in 5-star hotels! That was a lame attempt at trying to draw sympathy for her.

As a parent of 4 (no multiples) I can understand some of what he is going through. My wife and I hit a patch much like this a few years back. We were on opposite pages at all times -- when I tried, she didn't. When she tried, I had given up. We separated for a year and eventually worked things out -- although some days it feels like we are headed back down that same path. I get a kick out of watching the show with my wife, because she does many of the same things that Kate does (of course she doesn't see it).

The only way this will have a "happy ending" is if the show goes on hiatus and she takes her ass back home to work on her marriage.
Old 05-27-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And what about the previous 4 years when Kate stayed home alone with the newborn kids while Jon worked, and without the help of the high dollar nannies and helpers they can afford now?
Oh you mean the neihborhood people they had helping them out? The people they had coming over doing the laundry and folding the laundry? The other "assistants" they had in the early years of the show that she didn't want on TV because she didn't want to share any money with them? They've had continuous help with the kids since they had the sextuplets
Old 05-27-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I heard he's kind of flakey and has a problem with getting fired/laid off from jobs
Old 05-27-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't have any sympathy for Kate. She talked the entire show about how hard it was on her to work and be at home. Her work is going on the road talking about her kids.

Jon said it right in his interview: "Our children have become a business. And that's not right."

And he looked terrible during the interviews. It seems to me he wants out of the show, or at least out of the whoring of his children.
Old 05-27-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Report: Kate Gosselin Gave Jon a $5 Allowance.

Jon and Kate Gosselin
Jon & Kate Plus 8's Kate Gosselin reportedly kept a tight financial leash on her husband, Jon, limiting him to a daily $5 allowance, Us Weekly reports.

"She used to give him only $5 to spend, and if he was out and needed more money, she would give him hell," David Rothermel, Jon Gosselin's former employer at Style Craft Corp., tells the magazine.

Rothermel tells Us he witnessed Kate "raising hell" one day when she, then pregnant with the sextuplets, stormed Style Craft's offices to complain that Jon's father had not delivered her lunch. "She got up out of bed rest to come in and yell at anyone who would listen!" he says.

The magazine, citing an anonymous source close to Jon, also said Kate was ungrateful to her father-in-law after he gave the family a 14-passenger van.

Though the Gosselins have said Jon was let go by Style Craft because the company wouldn't insure the sextuplets, Rothermel told Us Jon was fired for misusing company resources. Jon spent the bulk of his day surfing the web for freebies for the sextuplets, Rothermel says.

A woman who answered the phone at Style Craft, which specializes in cabinetry, told TVGuide.com that Rothermel is not doing more interviews. She declined to give her name.

On Monday's Season 5 premiere, which drew a record 9.8 million viewers, Jon said he quit working to become a stay-at-home father. Later in the episode, Kate said she's aware she's been hard on her husband and expressed remorse. The couple, however, remained unsure about their future together after the difficulties in their marriage amid a media frenzy.

TLC had no comment on the Us report.
Old 05-28-09, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Jon said it right in his interview: "Our children have become a business. And that's not right."

And he looked terrible during the interviews. It seems to me he wants out of the show, or at least out of the whoring of his children.
I saw something on Fox News that says Jon wants himself and the kids out of the show's contract, but they're not sure if the contract can be broken w/out a penalty. If he is not able to get out of it, I'm sure TLC will get some kind of media backlash.

Kate's brother and sister-in-law (who used to be on the show regularly) said on a tv interview that the show should stop b/c its harming the kids.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1077848
Old 05-28-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TLC just doubled this seasons order from 20 episodes to 40 EPISODES! Sheesh.
Old 05-28-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

probably because w/ the whole media explosion, it got the best rating's it's ever had.

[edit] yup. it scored more than double it's previous high, which was the finale last year. 9.8 million viewers. that's better than most of the shows on NBC.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...te-plus-8.html
Old 05-29-09, 10:13 AM

Here is the interview w/ Kate's brother and sister-in-law:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...e=search_video

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.