DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Unit--Cancelled. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/555360-unit-cancelled.html)

uteotw 05-20-09 10:30 AM

The Unit--Cancelled.

It was mentioned on another thread, but it deserves its own thread.

This royally sucks.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/...ng-nbc--1.html

flashburn 05-20-09 10:31 AM

Re: The Unit--Cancelled.

Fuck.

edit: Correction, Fuck CBS and their 20 different versions of CSI.

RocShemp 05-20-09 10:41 AM

Well that certainly came out of nowhere.

chris_sc77 05-20-09 10:45 AM

Huh. I thought this show did well in ratings. I own the first 3 season on DVD but have never seen an episode. Oh well.

Deftones 05-20-09 10:48 AM

not terribly shocking. i mean, it still got very good ratings on Sundays, but it looked as though it cost a shit ton of money to produce. at least we got a fair amount of closure. wonder what Shawn Ryan is going to do now. I know he's the show runner for Lie to Me, but I think he should do another show.

TGM 05-20-09 10:55 AM

so, will it get some sort of chance for a decent "wrap up"?

DVDGamer 05-20-09 10:56 AM

9.6 million viewers and still got cancelled. This is my favorite shows and one of the few remaining shows that I still buy on DVD even after I follow and watch the series regularly because of its replay value. I hope ABC or some other Network picks this up.

Thos19 05-20-09 11:21 AM

I am very pissed. :(

Thos.

uteotw 05-20-09 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DVDGamer (Post 9455741)
9.6 million viewers and still got cancelled. This is my favorite shows and one of the few remaining shows that I still buy on DVD even after I follow and watch the series regularly because of its replay value. I hope ABC or some other Network picks this up.

It'd be GREAT if someone would pick it up, but I have no clue if that's even a realistic possibility. (FX?)

We're really left to conclude with entire series with Molly strolling away. UGH. :down:

This really was consistently among my top shows. !@)(#)(!@*#)(!*@)(

Thos19 05-20-09 11:40 AM

Hmmmm. F/X? Well it is a Shawn Ryan show (The Shield). That would be actually an upgrade....

(hoping uteotw is right)

Thos.

RichC2 05-20-09 12:39 PM

I mentioned it another thread but since it is a Fox production, it could be teamed up with 24 just fine or thrown on FX.

But I doubt it will, while it drew strong ratings even in the shit time spot, apparently its median age was 55, which skews older than they want.

CBS is such a boring, predictable network that it really isn't much of a surprise (I've seen a handful of their procedurals and had my fill, how they've run so many of them, and so many terrible ones, is confusing to me.)

NORML54601 05-20-09 12:55 PM

Bummer

nemein 05-20-09 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9456023)
But I doubt it will, while it drew strong ratings even in the shit time spot, apparently its median age was 55, which skews older than they want.

Maybe the Military Channel will pick it up :lol: That probably fits their demographic nicely... doubt they could dump that much money into it though

DJariya 05-20-09 01:00 PM

Guess Shawn Ryan knew the writing was on the wall when he took the Lie to Me gig. I feel bad for the 225 people who work on the show (from an article I read a few weeks ago) who are now unemployed. That sucks.

What baffles me is an LA Times article a few weeks ago mentioned the show only costs about $3M an episode. Guess the license fee was the nail in the coffin and the fact that the average age of people who watch this is 55.

starseed1981 05-20-09 01:10 PM

I'm not surprised. Upset, but not surprised.

DJariya 05-20-09 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 9455857)
It'd be GREAT if someone would pick it up, but I have no clue if that's even a realistic possibility. (FX?)

We're really left to conclude with entire series with Molly strolling away. UGH. :down:

This really was consistently among by top shows. !@)(#)(!@*#)(!*@)(

There is no chance anyone picks this up. Most networks seem to be focusing on developing shows in-house as opposed to outside studios. Even though this show was produced by FOX, it was overseen and developed by CBS.

uteotw 05-20-09 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9456124)
There is no chance anyone picks this up. Most networks seem to be focusing on developing shows in-house as opposed to outside studios. Even though this show was produced by FOX, it was overseen and developed by CBS.

That blows.
There really is no other show out there like The Unit.
R.I.P.

GCS 05-20-09 03:03 PM

F&*K!

That really blows.

mrhan 05-20-09 03:05 PM

CBS sucks. This was one of the few series I really enjoyed.

clckworang 05-20-09 03:14 PM

This was one of my uncle's favorite shows. I never got around to it, but I know a lot of people were very loyal visitors. Too bad.

stingermck 05-20-09 03:20 PM

I thought this had been mentioned somewhere else, but anyway:

'The Unit' to live in syndication
Show cleared in 56% of country
By Nellie Andreeva

May 19, 2009, 06:48 PM ET
Tuesday was bittersweet for the producers of CBS' drama "The Unit."

Hours after the network canceled the 20th TV-produced series after four seasons, the studios' syndication arm Twentieth TV announced that the show has been sold in syndication for a fall 2010 launch.

The military drama starring Dennis Haysbert has been cleared in 56% of country, including the Fox Television stations and, ironically, CBS stations for Fall 2010 debut.

The series from David Mamet and Shawn Ryan has been sold in all top 15 markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas and San Francisco.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...05790a72e1e68e

Rypro 525 05-20-09 03:58 PM

wait, does this mean that they'll do new episodes just on syndication form (ie check your listings) or it has enough episodes to make it into syndication

stingermck 05-20-09 04:24 PM

Hmm upon further googling, sorry I thought it was one of those Check your Local listings things:

Today certainly wasn’t a good day for fans of The Unit. CBS cancelled the show after four seasons on the air. For producers of the series however, today’s dark cloud also had a silver lining.

Though there won’t be any new episodes featuring Dennis Haysbert, Regina Taylor, Robert Patrick, Scott Foley and company, the show will return to the airwaves next year.

The show’s studio, 20th Century TV, announced today that the military drama has been sold in syndication. According to the Hollywood Reporter, The Unit has been cleared in 56% of the country, including Fox and CBS stations. It’s sold in all 15 of the top markets, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Dallas.

Because only 69 episodes have been produced, the stations are likely to run episodes only once or twice a week. While several series have been saved recently because of potential syndication profits, there’s seemingly no interest in continuing The Unit. This likely stems from the fact that hour-long dramas aren’t as popular in syndication as half-hour sitcoms.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/t...ion-good-news/

WallyOPD 05-20-09 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9456124)

I thought I remember reading some article recently that talked about networks actually branching out more from their in-house studios. If a show flops then both the network and the production company are out big, and so they can spread the risk around if both companies aren't under the same umbrella. Of course they also lose out on the potential rewards if the show is a big hit.

Michael Corvin 05-21-09 07:56 AM

This is disappointing, but not unsurprising. I missed 3-4 episodes because of sports(I presume). The tivo ended up recording Cold Case, or whatever hell show is on before it. So it was to a point where I personally didn't care. If I catch it, great, if not, oh well.

When I left off the new guy had proven himself and I watch the first uninterrupted one last night and
Spoiler:
he turned on everyone but is still working under Ryan, according to the closing minutes?
Okay... I actually watched two episodes and Charles "Betty Blue" Grey was nowhere to be seen. Did I miss something big?