Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09

Old 05-13-09, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09

Lost Cast

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Jack's decision to put a plan in action in order to set things right on the island is met with some strong resistance by those close to him, and Locke assigns Ben a difficult task.

Written by Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof

Directed by Jack Bender

Another Lost recap special called "A Journey through Time" airs at 8pm local time. Jesus, how many of these do we need? Do any of you actually watch them?

Anyways, looking forward to tonight.
Old 05-13-09, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09

I only watch the recap shows that air before the finale, usually the finale brings back a lot of old information and they usually show specific recap shows for a reason.
Old 05-13-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Grrrrr I hate working at 5am.....I'll have to wait til I get home.
Old 05-13-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for the finale.

for the 8 month wait afterwards.
Old 05-13-09, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait!!!
Old 05-13-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
I only watch the recap shows that air before the finale, usually the finale brings back a lot of old information and they usually show specific recap shows for a reason.
Same here. I skip them during the year, but they are usually pretty pertinent right before the finale.
Old 05-13-09, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh fuck yeah.

This season flew by... This should be one hell of a finale.
Old 05-13-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Can't wait."

Really ready to see where they will lead us tonight.

Doug
Old 05-13-09, 08:40 AM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
for the finale.

for the 8 month wait afterwards.
My feelings exactly!
Old 05-13-09, 08:48 AM

On a side note, pretty good list here regarding some Lost characters and their dangling storylines.

Link

Spoiler:

10) Sarah Shepherd

Granted, she was a pretty minor character. But Jack's ex-wife had an important mission, and she completely scrubbed it -- or rather, the writers did it for her. The story surrounding the dissolution of Sarah's marriage to Jack was supposed to give his character some insight into what made Jack what he was. And maybe it has something to do with the supposed plan in the original script to have Jack die in the first episode, but his whole backstory just seems... well, boring as shit. And his ex-wife, she of the miraculous spinal recovery, is no exception to this. It wasn't a problem with the actress, as Julie Bown is generally awesome; but her Sarah is given precious little to do, and even less to make sense of her actions and reactions. We get the vague idea that Jack ignores her, and that she's sad about that, and there's something in there about being unable to emotionally connect with each other. Which is ironic, that, given that this is the very problem with the whole storyline, only between viewer and character. Despite the fact that I'd watch a still photo of Julie Bowen for an hour and consider that hour well-spent, I was terribly glad when her disaster of a character on Lost departed for (hopefully) the last time.

9 & 8) Paulo and Nikki

A complete failed experiment -- the writers were thinking about introducing new characters from Flight 815, and pretending they'd been there all the time. "Yeah, remember when Paulo handed Sayid the water bottle that one time on the beach? No? Well trust us, he did." Yeah, but...no, he didn't. It was a ham-fisted attempt to shove characters into a storyline that hadn't previously included them, and it was obvious -- but who knows what Lost had planned for these two? We'll never know, since we fans bitched and moaned and got their asses killed ASAP. Happily, they got a kick-ass sendoff in an episode full of Hitchcockian awesomeness. And so that one episode stands out like a What-If episode of Lost; sort of the Marvel comics assistant-editors month episode, where the story takes place in the same world, uses some of the same characters, but has little to do with what's come before, and is never spoken of later.

7) Arzt

Leslie Arzt makes me feel badly for all high-school science teachers. Ninth-grade science must be a bitch to teach anyway, but to have a high-profile exemplar of your profession finally get on TV, and then proceed to become an exploding buffoon? Must suck. He was more or less a walking punchline, created about the same time as Nikki and Paolo, but not meant to last long (too bad, because he was ten times more interesting than Nikki and Paolo combined). First he blows himself up with dynamite in the middle of lecturing the main characters about how to safely handle dynamite -- an irony that at least is in keeping with Arzt's 9th grade teaching level, since it doesn't quite rise to the level of sophomoric. Sure, it produced one of Hurley's best lines ("Dude, you've got some Arzt on you."), but that's cold comfort to high school teachers everywhere.

6 & 5) Boone and Shannon

Boone was a great character, Shannon not so much. Boone had a great death -- an affecting death, for both characters in-story and the audience watching. Shannon didn't -- gut-shot by Ana-Lucia (another fine moment for that gem of a character), and after a bit of obligatory hand-wringing, no one but Sayid really cared. And speaking of Sayid, it was actor Naveen Andrews who had the idea to get Sayid and Shannon together, purportedly because he thought it would be interesting to shock American audiences by romantically linking the Iraqi torturer to the walking Barbie doll (I'm sure it had nothing to do with Andrews' motives that Maggie Grace was smoking hot). In any case, neither Boone nor Shannon (nor Sayid) was well-served by the storylines. Even though Boone's exit was dramatic, it killed off a decent character prematurely, and all we ever found out about him is that he occasionally had sex with his bitch of a stepsister. And Shannon -- well, she never really got the chance to redeem herself and escape from the tower of bitchiness in which the writers had been keeping her.

4) Ana-Lucia

It's not supposed to be telling that the episode in which Ana-Lucia and Libby are both shot dead is called "Two for the Road," but come on. If it's not an in-joke, it's a coincidence of Lost-ian proportion. Actresses Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros (Ana-Lucia and Libby, respectively) were killed off on the show after both were popped for DUI traffic offenses. The arrests and the character deaths are supposedly unrelated -- the whole post-hoc-ergo-proctor-hoc fallacy -- but the title of this episode seems to admit otherwise. Not much was made of Ana-Lucia's demise, since fans were at best ambivalent about her survival (and to be fair, the writers admit they made her too unlikeable), but still, just because she was a bitch doesn't mean she didn't have more story to tell. She did, and most of it -- like most of the Tailies' stories, none of which really amounted to more than a season-long tangent (with the exception of Bernard, who found his Rose) -- just dropped away like dead soldier beer bottles in the Hawaiian sand.

3) Mr. Eko

Arguably one of the most interesting characters on the show -- a powerful man with a dark past, trying to make up for it by doing the best he can. His brother was a priest kidnapped and killed about a heroin-smuggling plane that crashed "coincidentally" on the island. He was a great counter-point to the similar faithful but far less self-assured Locke. But Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje was perhaps the first person in history who disliked living in Hawaii, and thus asked to be prematurely written off the show so he could move back to the paradise that is London. And so, of course, Mr. Eko died. Too soon. There was a lot more that Eko could have done, aside from being the sacrificial lamb on the altar of shock-ending cliffhangers. The fact that it took an explosion, a polar bear attack, and whatever the hell the smoke monster is to do him in speaks to his physical strength. But his real strength lay in his intriguing storyline -- and one that could have, and should have, moved forward.

2) Libby

Libby was bound to be hear the top of this list, since unlike some characters, her storyline wasn't finished by the time she was offed. According to Cuse and Lindeloff, the writers realized that Ana-Lucia's death wasn't going to cause the emotional impact that they wanted to provoke in the audience, and since Libby's storyline hadn't proven itself to be all that dramatic, they went ahead and had her shot, too. This was problematic for two reasons -- for one, many fans liked the Libby-Hurley romance, which never really had the chance to blossom. More importantly, Libby did have an interesting backstory -- she gives Desmond the boat for the race that gets him shipwrecked on the island, and she was in Hurley's first loony bin, seemingly as a fellow patient. Was she working for Widmore? We might not ever know, because actress Cynthia Watros has no desire to play the character again, despite having been asked by Lost's producers to do so. Hopefully some other character will drop a few clues before the show ends regarding Libby, since Libby's not going to be able to.

1) Walt

Remember back in the first season, when Walt was, like, important? Maybe the writers are taking a long, slow, supposed-to-be-surprising curve around the main story, and they'll bring Walt back in the final season, and all the crap built up around him in the early going will make sense. But based on what we've already seen, I don't know that anyone would be all that surprised to find out that his recent sidewalk chat with Locke ("The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham") was his swan song. I hope it's not -- I hope the Walt storyline gets better closure, especially since his mysterious power and the Others-kidnapping it brought about was such a focus of the end of the first season -- but then, I hoped that Mr. Eko wasn't going to die, that Libby would get it on with Hurley, and that someone -- anyone -- would just start asking questions and demanding answers. So like most Lost fans (not to mention Inigo Montoya), I've gotten used to disappointment.
Old 05-13-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice list Stinkeye.
Old 05-13-09, 09:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

nobody cares about this stupid finale
Old 05-13-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
?
Old 05-13-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why you gotta be like that redrum? Why?
Old 05-13-09, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Banned
Old 05-13-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zqx2Bt5bnKE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zqx2Bt5bnKE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-13-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't wait!!! Squeeeee!
Old 05-13-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-13-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

What generally happens tonight:
Spoiler:
"All I will say is that it is time for the time travel craziness to end," he said. "And once it does end, something very, very surprising will happen in its wake. It is a little bit of a game-changer," [Damon Lindelof revealed.] Source: The Ausiello Files

The rest of tonight's spoilers. There are some juicy plot points in here, but I would rank them only YELLOW in terms of warning.
Spoiler:
# 05/08 -"People will find out why Hurley got on the plane and how he came to get that guitar case in his hands," [Jorge Garcia] said. [.... "] So you see me get the case by the finale, but I don't know that we will find out what's in it. It was hard for me to play because at first I did not understand why Hurley would have ever changed his mind about going back to the island, and I'm sure fans are thinking the same thing. So it will be nice to be able to give them that information." Source: The Ausiello Files
# 05/05 - Charles Widmore told John Locke that a war would take place on the island, and that if John didn't return, the wrong side was going to win. We're still a little unclear on who - and when - the sides will be (Hostiles vs. Dharma; Oceanic 6 vs. creepy Ajira survivors; Smokey vs. everyone), but it's clear that tensions are mounting all over, and will probably culminate in at least one shocking season-ending death. Other intriguing tidbits: The finale will introduce us to Jacob, the island's spiritual leader, and we'll see a wedding that takes place off-island. Source: TV Guide Online
# 05/05 - Look for another game-changing finale. Based on the rumors we're hearing about what happens, you may find yourself wondering how they could still even do the same show after this. [...] Sayid's wife Nadia is back in the finale. Yes, technically she's his tragically murdered wife, but still: whee! We'll also be meeting young Kate, young Tom (Mr. Friendly), young Juliet, young Rachel (Juliet's sister) and young Sawyer, and several of those sightings happen because a pivotal figure in the Island mythology wants to check in on our heroes in their youth, à la Richard Alpert's test visit ("Which of these are yours?") to John Locke. Source: Kristin on E!Online
# 04/13 - We will be seeing a 3rd Eloise Hawking. This time played by Alice Evans who will between the ages of the young and old Ellie. The Wedding scene is definitely that of Sun and Jin as has previously been reported and NOT that of Aaron and JiYeon that has been speculated on some sites. Jacob will be in attendance for the ceremony. Source: Lost Spoilers
# 04/05 - According to Crissy and Kanahina, on location now, they're recreating an L.A. street scene. A woman is lying in the road. Sayid comes to her aide. Considering recent reveals about someone visiting both Locke and Sawyer at pivotal moments in their history, and possibly Sun and Jin at their wedding, I suspect the same is happening here. Could this be Nadia's assassination? Source: The Transmission
# 04/05 - We will have a Charlie's-death-level emotional reaction to the character death at the end of season-there will be wailing, rending of garments and general grief. The writers probably had plenty of doubts about whether or not it was really a good idea to kill this particular character. [...] Charlie Pace and the major character that dies this season are polar opposites in at least one key physical attribute. Source: Kristin on E!Online
# 04/05 - Fact: Dexter alum Mark Pellegrino (he played Rita's abusive ex) has been cast on Lost in a pivotal role, multiple sources confirm to me exclusively. Unconfirmed scuttlebutt: He's playing Jacob in an off-island, circa-'70s flashback involving some very familiar faces! Fact: He turns up in the season finale. Unconfirmed scuttlebutt: One of those familiar faces is *a****! [...] We will come to learn that the dude who may or may not be playing Jacob bore witness to pivotal events in the pre-island lives of Locke, Sayid, and Sawyer. [...] An ABC insider confirms that Lost will begin filming a wedding ceremony later today that is slated to air during the show's two-hour finale on May 13. Who's getting hitched? Here are a pair of clues: Actors of Asian-American descent are being sought to play extras, and the wedding will take place on the mainland, not the island. That pretty much rules out Jack/Kate or Sawyer/Juliet. "One theory is that it's a flashback to Sun and Jin's wedding," whispers a Lost insider. "But the wild rumor is that Sun and Jin's daughter will marry Aaron in the future." Source: The Ausiello Files
# 04/05 - I saw them shooting a scene for (confirmed by crew member) the season 5 finale on Kalakaua Ave. Mark Pellegrino was reading a book on a bench outside a building when BAM!! Locke falls eight stories out of the window and lands behind him. While people cry out for help and to call 911, Pellegrino (Young Jacob?!) calmly puts a bookmark in his book and casually walks over to Locke's body in the grass and kneels down next to him. I wasn't sure who the guy was on the bench but after seeing his picture on the site, it was DEFINITELY Pellegrino. Terry O'Quinn was laying on the ground for a good amount of time with bloodied make-up and fake glass on/around him (I even went back and found some fake glass later!). [...] Rose, Bernard and Vincent will all be appearing in the finale. Source: Lost Spoilers
# 03/14 - Doug: Caucasian, 40s. Charismatic, soft southern accent. Strong and authoritative but knows how to deliver bad news smoothly. Deals bad news to his buddy with empathy. Young Jeff: Caucasian. 8 to 10 years-old, blonde hair, soft southern accent if possible. Hazel/Light brown eyes. Gone through much in his young life. Anger hides a deep pain. He's a tough kid with a wounded heart. Young Emily: Caucasian. 10 year-old, brunette. Green eyes. Cute, precocious and confident. Willing to bend the rules to get what she wants. Young Bob: Caucasian. 10 year-old, dark strawberry blonde, or reddish-brownish, blue/green eyes. Cute, nervous about breaking the rules but has an adventurous streak. Mr. Springer: Caucasian. 50s. Kindly but can be a hard-ass when necessary. Owns his own rural business. Worked hard to get where he is and provide for his family. Young Natalie: Caucasian. 10 year-old, blonde, blue-eyed. Strong personality and defiant. Her parents tell her they are divorcing, and Natalie becomes upset and strident. She doesn't want this to happen, and runs to her room crying. Young Donna: Caucasian. 12-year-old brunette. Natalie's older sister. Tries to act more grown-up and stoic. Can hide her feelings while Natalie acts out. Her parents tell her they are divorcing, and Donna is upset, quietly crying. Alice: Caucasian. Late 30s. Emotionally strong and tries to keep her feelings in check for her family. Unhappy in her marriage and tasked with telling her two young little girls that she and their father are divorcings. Source: Lost Spoilers
# 02/27 - Mitch: Any ethnicity, 30s. A security man with enough intelligence and physical menace to be good at his job, but he's not moving into management. Recurring. Jason: Any ethnicity, late 30s-60s. Former soldier. A leader of men. Smart but more than that - he is wise. Strong and straightforward. The words he says are always listened to and they carry gravitas. Guest star two episodes. May lead to recurrings. Looking for someone very interesting and very special for this role... Samuel: Any ethnicity, 40s-60s. A corporate raider looking to take over his next company. Powerful, devious and obtuse. He has a cunning intellect and a strong sense of danger. Guest star two episodes. May lead to recurring. Looking for someone very interesting and very special for this role... Source: Lost Spoilers

SERIES finale spoiler (not really anything, but something about Libby)
Spoiler:
Damon [Lindelof] said that when the show ends, "All of the character resolutions will be very defined. There is going to be no cut to black. The show for me and Carlton Cuse and J.J. Abrams and all the people writing it-it's not about the Island. The Island is where it takes place. It's about this group of people who crashed on the Island on Sept. 22, 2004 and how they influenced the history of the Island in some ways and had a very significant and pivotal role to play there. You're going to see that role play out, and their fates will all be resolved by the end of the series- that's the story that we're telling. In terms of every little bit of minutiae about the Island itself...There will be questions left unanswered after the show ends." Libby's story will not be wrapped up on the show. Said Damon, "I have learned that if you kill someone off the show, they are less likely to cooperate with you." Basically, Cynthia Watros is busy until further notice, and they can't explain Libby without her, at least not in any way that shows her story rather than annoyingly tells her story. What's the takeaway for us fans? Next time you've got Damon cornered, don't waste your breath asking about Libby. Instead, bust his chops about another very important blonde: Claire! Where is that little minx, anyway? Source: Kristin on E!Online
Old 05-13-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been thinking. I know a couple of us have thrown out the possibility of the show ending with the Lostie's fixing something on the island that causes Oceanic 815 to never crash. I'm almost wondering if they might have that happen tonight and then have next season be completely different than everything that's preceded. It wouldn't be the first time the show's done something in the finale to totally define the next season.
Old 05-13-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like they don't crash and next season we get to see each of them go on about their lives? Seems possible, but rather boring. Other than Kate's stint in women's prison.
Old 05-13-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm not sure where they'd go with it, but I'd guess they could come up with something interesting. At the end of season 3, I know a lot of people were saying the show wasn't going to be interesting now that we knew they got off the island.
Old 05-13-09, 12:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm thinking we are gonna be seein some people as kids next season
Old 05-13-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Like they don't crash and next season we get to see each of them go on about their lives? Seems possible, but rather boring. Other than Kate's stint in women's prison.
it seems possible and would be rather interesting -- until we realize the fact that somehow all these people need to get BACK to the Island again. Spending one season on that plot point is enough for me -- I wouldn't want to see that again.
Old 05-13-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

i'm thinking we are gonna be seein some people as kids next season
Spoiler:
From what I've read, you are right

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.