DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/554954-lost-2-hour-season-finale-incident-5-13-09-a.html)

cracksky 05-14-09 11:09 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
I'm seriously getting pissed at all the Dark Tower talk here. It's like a 10,000 page, 7-book series spanning 25 years. Not everyone has fucking read it. STFU!

On a related note, JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof will adapt The Dark Tower upon completion of LOST.

Groucho 05-14-09 11:09 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen (Post 9443698)
Anybody have ideas on who Adam and Eve are now that the season is over?

Alex and Horace

Flave 05-14-09 11:10 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9443696)
:lol:

I've never seen Fringe and am not a Trek fan. Sounds like I should check out both.

Definitely! Fringe has become my new fave and the new Trek movie is the best one yet. And the nice thing about the new Trek movie is that you don't need to know the whole mythology as it's essentially a reset for the franchise.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 05-14-09 11:11 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen (Post 9443698)
Anybody have ideas on who Adam and Eve are now that the season is over?

Jack and Kate

s}{ammer 05-14-09 11:15 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen (Post 9443698)
Anybody have ideas on who Adam and Eve are now that the season is over?

Rose and Bernard?

I seriously think Flave has me on ignore. :)

Deftones 05-14-09 11:17 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 9443504)
It means he's a San Fransisco c***-****er, you hooplehead.

rotfl

penguin42 05-14-09 11:24 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
I think it's clear that Miles was right about the Losties actually being the catalyst for 'the incident'. I don't think they died, but with the release of the electromagnetic energy from the core along with the electromagnetic energy from the geological formation (along with a heavy dose of mumbo jumbo pseudo science), the Losties will be magically transported back to 2007....

where they will have to dead with fake locke and the shadow of the temple people.

I don't think that Jacob was necessarily 'good', he used and manipulated people just as much as the fake locke entity.

XavierMike 05-14-09 11:28 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
I'm thinking that Jack is going to replace Jacob. Or, maybe Jacob's body that we saw is actually some who died pre-black rock that he is inhabiting. Perhaps he will animate another body now? Faraday?

funstan 05-14-09 11:34 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443715)
Rose and Bernard?

I seriously think Flave has me on ignore. :)

I 2nd Rose and Bernard

MoviePage 05-14-09 11:42 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist (Post 9443552)
I've watched every frame of the show since it first aired.

And now I've decided LOST is (or, more aptly, has become) just dumb silly pants.

It was cool when the characters arcs and backstory controlled the tilt of the show, but now its just mainly them running around in convoluted hokum.

Fully agreed. Which is why I said earlier that this has been the worst season of Lost. Sure there was some suspense, tension, and mystery, but that's mainly because of what has been built up in previous seasons -- most importantly, characters we care about. This time around there has been no character development or consistency whatsoever - just plot, plot, plot, regardless of anything else, including logic.

Ok, maybe season 2 was worse.

cracksky 05-14-09 11:44 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
Anyone else think the body in the pit with the Horace name tag on it is now Sayid since he was wearing his uniform when he was shot?

I think Radzinski will go right back to what he was doing and fill the hole in with concrete and build the hatch around it like it always happened. Stuart will be the first button-pusher since it was his insane project and there's so much danger with all the radiation (hence the Quarantine on the door). Kelvin comes in later and eventually the radiation starts to dissipate.

I think Faraday's original assessment was correct. Things cannot change. Free will doesn't matter. We saw Sayid use his free will to try and kill young Ben then Kate's will stopped it. Everything happened as it did.

Remember, Richard said he saw them all die. The last time we saw him he was underground with Eloise. I can't imagine that bomb destroys everything, leaving only Richard. That must mean something else kills them afterward.

aJOHNymous 05-14-09 11:45 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 9443040)
Or could Jacob be Jacob and the other guy his brother Esau?

From Wikipedia (paraphrased and bolded for importance):


Esau is the brother of Jacob in the biblical Book of Genesis. Esau was the oldest son of Isaac and Rebekah and the grandson of Abraham. Jacob and Esau were fraternal twins; Rebekah bore Esau first and Jacob was birthed second, holding onto Esau's heel. Thus, this subsequent occurrence traditionally entitled Esau to inherit the wealth of his father after his death.

Esau's name in Hebrew means "hairy", and, according to Genesis 25:25, it is a reference to his hairiness at birth.
The statue's remaining foot could be a referecne to the heel thing and you can't argue with the scruffy appearance of the other character when he walked up to Jacob on the beach.

This is just from the very beginning of the article. The rest goes on to talk about issues of selling one's birthright, a mother's lover for one versus a father's love for the other, the brothers' attempts to kill each other and/or reconcile, and more. Interesting stuff for sure.

Groucho 05-14-09 11:49 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by cracksky (Post 9443780)
Anyone else think the body in the pit with the Horace name tag on it is now Sayid since he was wearing his uniform when he was shot?

No, because we saw Horace die during the purge (which was many years after the events in tonight's episode).

MoviePage 05-14-09 11:56 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by XavierMike (Post 9443748)
I'm thinking that Jack is going to replace Jacob. Or, maybe Jacob's body that we saw is actually some who died pre-black rock that he is inhabiting. Perhaps he will animate another body now? Faraday?

Jacob will return in the body of Nikki, while his rival will assume the guise of Paulo. The final season will focus on the battle of wits between these two intriguing figures.

madcougar 05-14-09 11:59 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by cracksky (Post 9443474)
All dark tower comments need to be spoilerized.

Not everyone in the world has read these novels.

This is a lost thread. Respect the topic.

That's right bitches! Do what Cranky says!

maxfisher 05-14-09 12:10 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
I wonder if the appearance of Rose & Bernard is important or if it was just a throwaway to all the fans who've been bitching and moaning. During the exchange at the beginning, anti-Jacob says something to the effect that these people won't be any different, they'll just come here and kill each other. It's clear Jacob's hoping for another outcome. Rose & Bernard might be whatever it is Jacob was waiting for. They seem perfectly at peace just living on the island and have no intention of harnessing its power or fighting with others over it.

dsa_shea 05-14-09 12:18 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
The Purge still will not take place until the early 90s if even at all. This is 15 years or so after the "incident" took place. The incident couldn't been that big of an accident if there are still people living on the island, Dharma and the Others, for subsequent events to take place.

Pointyskull 05-14-09 12:19 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
A nice summary of the episode appears over at Televisionary

outcastja 05-14-09 12:21 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 9443776)
Fully agreed. Which is why I said earlier that this has been the worst season of Lost. Sure there was some suspense, tension, and mystery, but that's mainly because of what has been built up in previous seasons -- most importantly, characters we care about. This time around there has been no character development or consistency whatsoever - just plot, plot, plot, regardless of anything else, including logic.

Ok, maybe season 2 was worse.

How much more character development is needed for the major characters? By the end of season 3 there's really nothing new to learn about the major characters. We pretty much get their motives. Once the creators got the heads up it only had 3 seasons to wrap everything up, they just moved the story along, instead of dragging the season with more flashback episodes.

I'm just curious what you wanted this season. Because this and last season to me has been great because it answers and explains things that we questioned in the earlier seasons.

Flave 05-14-09 12:21 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443715)
Rose and Bernard?

I seriously think Flave has me on ignore. :)

Seriously, I don't have anyone on ignore. But I admit I haven't read the entire (way too long) thread so I may have missed your posts. Did I repeat something you said?

dino88 05-14-09 12:25 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 9443394)
It only showed him cutting one filet, but then he put two on the rock in the fire. I'm guessing they just didn't see the need to show him cutting the meat off both sides, but it makes logical sense there would be two.

Yes I also thought of the logical explaination. But if this were the case there would have been no reason why they would show a close up of him cutting one and then another close up of 2 on the fire.

DthRdrX 05-14-09 12:26 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly (Post 9443329)
I have a feeling that both Widmore's story and Dharma's story are finished and the final season will just feature the original losties.

Even Desmond's story might be finished.

Henry Ian Cusick got paid for a full season but was only in a few episodes this year. Some have speculated that his character is a goner, given the sexual harassment suit filed against him and ABC. It wouldn't surprise me if he only has a few scenes in season 6.

JohnSlider 05-14-09 12:31 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9443846)
Yes I also thought of the logical explaination. But if this were the case there would have been no reason why they would show a close up of him cutting one and then another close up of 2 on the fire.

What is that quote Josh keeps posting about Zebras and whatnot?

cracksky 05-14-09 12:34 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 9443851)
Henry Ian Cusick got paid for a full season but was only in a few episodes this year. Some have speculated that his character is a goner, given the sexual harassment suit filed against him and ABC. It wouldn't surprise me if he only has a few scenes in season 6.

Desmond is too important a character not to have in this show no matter what conflict may arise.

DthRdrX 05-14-09 12:38 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by cracksky (Post 9443780)
Anyone else think the body in the pit with the Horace name tag on it is now Sayid since he was wearing his uniform when he was shot?

I think Radzinski will go right back to what he was doing and fill the hole in with concrete and build the hatch around it like it always happened. Stuart will be the first button-pusher since it was his insane project and there's so much danger with all the radiation (hence the Quarantine on the door). Kelvin comes in later and eventually the radiation starts to dissipate.

I think Faraday's original assessment was correct. Things cannot change. Free will doesn't matter. We saw Sayid use his free will to try and kill young Ben then Kate's will stopped it. Everything happened as it did.

Remember, Richard said he saw them all die. The last time we saw him he was underground with Eloise. I can't imagine that bomb destroys everything, leaving only Richard. That must mean something else kills them afterward.

1.) We Saw Horace wearing it when Ben closed his eyes at Dharmaville. We also saw Locke take the map to JAcob's cabin from his pocket. I'm more interested in the dharma guy laying next to Locke, who took what looked like a bullet to the head.

2.) Richard wasn't even at the Swan site when they blew the bomb. How did he 'see' them die? There is certainly more to meets the eye here.

3.) If that bomb went off and nothing changed timeline wise, everyone on that island in 1977 probably died. No way does a hydrogen bomb not destroy the majority of the island. In the very least, they certainly didn't kill Jack, Sawyer, Juliet, Kate, Hurley, Sayid and Miles off before the last season. Better yet, Chang and Radzinsky certainly would have died as well, which can't be the case if Whatever Happened, Happened.

This is obviously not the case as Richard is alive in 2007. My belief is that everything that happened in 77 was shown when 316 crashed on the island. This explains the radio tower broadcasting the Dharma transmission of the numbers.

DthRdrX 05-14-09 12:40 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by cracksky (Post 9443869)
Desmond is too important a character not to have in this show no matter what conflict may arise.

He was important enough to have one episode worth of scenes this year? He was even left out of the finale!

Jadzia 05-14-09 12:40 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
Mod note:

Please do not post spoilers from other media: TV shows, movies, or books unless they are spoilerized and labeled with what the spoilers are from.

Thanks.

DthRdrX 05-14-09 12:46 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by XavierMike (Post 9443748)
I'm thinking that Jack is going to replace Jacob. Or, maybe Jacob's body that we saw is actually some who died pre-black rock that he is inhabiting. Perhaps he will animate another body now? Faraday?

That would kinda suck, but I have to admit it was genious if it turns out Locke was working for the 'bad guy' all along. He was used by almost everyone until the very day he died. Nothing special about him at all.

I also believe it probably takes the most evil individual possible to put one over on Ben.

Michael Corvin 05-14-09 12:48 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
Guys, I'm sure Horace owned more than one jumpsuit.


Originally Posted by cracksky (Post 9443702)
I'm seriously getting pissed at all the Dark Tower talk here. It's like a 10,000 page, 7-book series spanning 25 years. Not everyone has fucking read it. STFU!

On a related note, JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof will adapt The Dark Tower upon completion of LOST.

Sorry... all the alternate reality/planes shit is introduced in book two of the series published in 1987(even hinted at in the first from '82). I think the statute of limitations for spoilers on that ended about 15 years ago.



Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 9443880)
Mod note:

Please do not post spoilers from other media: TV shows, movies, or books unless they are spoilerized and labeled with what the spoilers are from.

Thanks.


mphtrilogy 05-14-09 12:53 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by Flave (Post 9443699)
Nobody else see the Jesus Christ symbolism here? Jacob = Jesus, other guy = Satan, Ben = Judas, and Jacob dies to redeem our sins?

I like it

DVD Josh 05-14-09 01:02 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by John Slider (Post 9443862)
What is that quote Josh keeps posting about Zebras and whatnot?

See sig (also for proper credit) :D

s}{ammer 05-14-09 01:11 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 9443887)
That would kinda suck, but I have to admit it was genious if it turns out Locke was working for the 'bad guy' all along. He was used by almost everyone until the very day he died. Nothing special about him at all.

I also believe it probably takes the most evil individual possible to put one over on Ben.

I think Jacob summed it up last night when he basically told Ben he was nothing special. Locke is no different as he was laying in a box on the sand.

Also, as for locke working for the bad guy all along...
Remember it was Abaddon who sent Locke to the walkabout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaddon_in_popular_culture

tlwizard 05-14-09 01:19 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 
Regarding the post earlier about Jacob being a god, which explains why he says to Ben "what about you?" What does that say about Locke (faux or no)? Richard was willing to take Locke (unknown as faux) to see Jacob. Or is that only because he badgered Richard and if Ben had badgered him about it he would have done the same?

Also, if the evil is taking on the form of Christian, doesn't that also mean it took on the form of Claire there in the cabin? So is Claire dead? Or was that real Claire who followed Ghost Dad (faux <s>Bill Cosby</s> Christian Shepard) back to the cabin and was hanging out?

s}{ammer 05-14-09 01:26 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by Flave (Post 9443839)
Seriously, I don't have anyone on ignore. But I admit I haven't read the entire (way too long) thread so I may have missed your posts. Did I repeat something you said?

Not that you repeated what I said, but simply missed it.

The Jesus in Christianity is based off of Horus from the Egyptian mythology. In lost they pounded into our heads last night that the mythos they are working with is Egyptian. Christianity is supposed to be a monotheistic religion, whereas in Egyptian mythology there were many gods. However, because the Jesus we know of today is so similar to Horus it will feel Christian to people not looking at it from a non-monotheistic point of view.

Jacob uses people as pawns just as much as the "bad guy" and he lets us know what he thinks of his pawns when he tells Ben what about you. So Jacob is not the good guy and his enemy the bad guy, they are just two different gods that have always and will always be at war with each other.

Another interesting thing I noticed in re-watching it that I missed the first time, the completed statue is a statue of Seth(Set) I believe. Also, Jacob knows it eventually will end but that he must keep pushing people so they will progress to the end. As he stated early on, "There is only one end, everything else before that is just progress." He also tells Jack that it just needed a push, which actually tied right in with what Christian did to Jack in the OR.

dino88 05-14-09 01:26 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by John Slider (Post 9443862)
What is that quote Josh keeps posting about Zebras and whatnot?

Yes because it's crazy to assume that Jacob is meant to be Jesus-like. Don't know where I got that? I don't think Jacob healed Locke either, he obviously had a defibulator implanted in his hands.

s}{ammer 05-14-09 01:30 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 9443959)
Regarding the post earlier about Jacob being a god, which explains why he says to Ben "what about you?" What does that say about Locke (faux or no)? Richard was willing to take Locke (unknown as faux) to see Jacob. Or is that only because he badgered Richard and if Ben had badgered him about it he would have done the same?

Also, if the evil is taking on the form of Christian, doesn't that also mean it took on the form of Claire there in the cabin? So is Claire dead? Or was that real Claire who followed Ghost Dad (faux <s>Bill Cosby</s> Christian Shepard) back to the cabin and was hanging out?

I would think Claire is dead. The bad guy got rid of Claire so that Kate would take the baby and leave the island, then she would have a reason to come back. If she had got off the island and went to prison she couldn't have come back to finish the game.

s}{ammer 05-14-09 01:34 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9443977)
Yes because it's crazy to assume that Jacob is meant to be Jesus-like. Don't know where I got that? I don't think Jacob healed Locke either, he obviously had a defibulator implanted in his hands.

I just don't get how you can look past all the Egyptian theology and see Jesus. Jacob obviously predates Jesus. When you consider that the struggle between Jacob and this other guy fits perfectly within what we have seen of lost so far I just think those people who think Jesus are trying not to see the very answers to the questions they have been asking all along.

dsa_shea 05-14-09 01:36 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443997)
I just don't get how you can look past all the Egyptian theology and see Jesus. Jacob obviously predates Jesus. When you consider that the struggle between Jacob and this other guy fits perfectly within what we have seen of lost so far I just think those people who think Jesus are trying not to see the very answers to the questions they have been asking all along.

I don't see Jacob as Jesus, but rather see him and his compadre as living forms of the battle between God and Satan. At this point we don't know who is on what side if there are any sides. But there has to be sides since they introduced them to us way back in the first episodes.

Shinobi 05-14-09 01:42 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443975)
The Jesus in Christianity is based off of Horus from the Egyptian mythology.

You keep saying this as if it were true. This is not the time or place for a religious slapfight, but just know that while it is an interesting theory, it is hardly fact. :)

dino88 05-14-09 01:44 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09
 

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443997)
I just don't get how you can look past all the Egyptian theology and see Jesus. Jacob obviously predates Jesus. When you consider that the struggle between Jacob and this other guy fits perfectly within what we have seen of lost so far I just think those people who think Jesus are trying not to see the very answers to the questions they have been asking all along.

I never said he IS Jesus, I said Jesus-like.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.