DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/554954-lost-2-hour-season-finale-incident-5-13-09-a.html)

Matthew Ackerly 05-13-09 10:09 PM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09

Originally Posted by awil1026 (Post 9442709)
I don't think they'll go that route. My guess: I think that was the incident and the 77'ers just got shot to the present.

That's my guess as well.

Jacob said "they're coming", I would guess referring to them.

Arthur Dent 05-13-09 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 9442711)
So what is everyone else's specualtion on the Jacob vs. Faux Locke bit? I guess we know why Jacob interacted with the younger Losties as to prepare them for their final destiny. He knew he needed them on his team and that is what he means by stating "they're coming". I still don't understand the whole loophole thing he was referring to and where does this leave Jacks' dad and Claire?

I assume the loophole was in reference to the beginning of the episode: that guy wanting to kill Jacob but being unable to.

Torchur317 05-13-09 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 9442706)
Worst season of Lost ever. Yeah, I said it.

I've been saying this the whole time, I agree with you....

Jimmy James 05-13-09 10:10 PM

I feel I have to give this an incomplete because I see a bunch of ways for them to screw this last season up and relatively few ways for them to deal with it in a satisfying way. They can't just hit the reset, but they can't make it as simple as some flash in time and nothing happened. Effectively explaining what we saw is going to be a challenge, and I hope they're up for it.

PopcornTreeCt 05-13-09 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026 (Post 9442709)
I don't think they'll go that route. My guess: I think that was the incident and the 77'ers just got shot to the present.

How does that even make sense?

I see only 2 options:

They're dead

or

They're at the airport

MoviePage 05-13-09 10:11 PM

I still don't understand the whole loophole thing he was referring to

I'm guessing that the loophole was that the other guy ("Locke") couldn't kill Jacob himself, and had to get someone else to do it.

dsa_shea 05-13-09 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026 (Post 9442723)
I assume the loophole was in reference to the beginning of the episode: that guy wanting to kill Jacob but being unable to.

So did this guy just spend the next several hundred years sitting around waiting for a body/identity to use to have someone else do his dirty deed?

DthRdrX 05-13-09 10:12 PM

So what is everyone else's specualtion on the Jacob vs. Faux Locke bit? I guess we know why Jacob interacted with the younger Losties as to prepare them for their final destiny. He knew he needed them on his team and that is what he means by stating "they're coming". I still don't understand the whole loophole thing he was referring to and where does this leave Jacks' dad and Claire?

My take:

The two guys at the beginning are Jacob and his enemy. (I missed the guys name) They are the original power struggle on the island. The enemy has been using dead people to further his goal against Jacob all along. Locke was nothing more than a pawn, and is dead now. This guy controlled the smoke monster, and made Ben follow faux Locke to kill Jacob.

BTW: Who wants to bet that Jacob saved Sarah for Jack when she was paralized in the hospital?

goofee girl 05-13-09 10:12 PM

Did anybody else notice that Jacob touched all of our losties in the flashbacks except for Hurley? Am I wrong?

Jimmy James 05-13-09 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026 (Post 9442723)

But WHAT *IS* the loophole? That's the question. What makes Ben the loophole? The fact that somebody who isn't the leader got to come in? The fact that it was Ben? What about Ben? Does this signal that Ben is like Desmond in that he is one of the few people who seems to have some degree of "free will"?

dgmayor 05-13-09 10:12 PM

The living Locke is some kind of reincarnation of the guy at the beginning of the episode that said he wanted to kill Jacob. Jacob indicated he couldn't due to whatever rule and there was talk about finding a loophole. At the end of the episode, Jacob said something to the effect of "looks like you found your loophole" and Locke said "I guess I did" or something like that.

goofee girl 05-13-09 10:14 PM

New Kids on the Block lunchbox. *giggle*

dsa_shea 05-13-09 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 9442736)
But WHAT *IS* the loophole? That's the question. What makes Ben the loophole? The fact that somebody who isn't the leader got to come in? The fact that it was Ben? What about Ben? Does this signal that Ben is like Desmond in that he is one of the few people who seems to have some degree of "free will"?

The fact that Ben was able to be influenced to kill Jacob which his enemy couldn't directly do himself.

Arthur Dent 05-13-09 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 9442736)

Well, clearly we are meant to be asking that question now! :)

He said he didn't understand it-- and clearly he shouldn't.

goofee girl 05-13-09 10:15 PM

I'm creeped out by the faux Locke.

Pharoh 05-13-09 10:15 PM

It appears that the yang to Jacob's yin was the reincarnated Christian Shepard. Not sure how Claire fits in yet.

Who now is the "candidate" to replace Jacob? Jack?

And I don't like the apparent loss of John Locke as a character, but I guess I have to wait eight months.

Overall, a so-so finale. It was way too transparent.

BlackCapTen 05-13-09 10:15 PM

I thought perhaps this other guy at the beginning who wanted to kill Jacob was smokey. Smokey as Alex told Ben to follow Locke. Locke perhaps is a form of smokey and told Ben to kill Jacob. Maybe there's other stuff that backs this up as well.

I would assume Juliet could even flash, if that is what they really did at the end.

flagstone 05-13-09 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by maingon (Post 9442708)
well that wasnt the final epsiode of the series, theres one more season.

that sucks about Juliet, liked her character, hopefully it wont be the last we see her, Great twist with Lock, it sucked seeing it end like that and then seeing 2010. thats a long wait to find out what happened. Good episode, though not great. the twist with Lockes body though was freaking awesome.

Given that the actress is moving on to another show (V), that may be the last we see of Juliet - although not definitely, given the re-appearance of Abaddon even after Fringe started up.

Sean O'Hara 05-13-09 10:15 PM

So what is everyone else's specualtion on the Jacob vs. Faux Locke bit?

Faux Locke is the guy Jacob was talking to at the beginning.

Speaking of which, if Jacob is from the Black Rock era (or earlier), why does he have an American accent?

goofee girl 05-13-09 10:16 PM

Season 3 was the worst season by far.

Jimmy James 05-13-09 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 9442741)
The fact that Ben was able to be influenced to kill Jacob which his enemy couldn't directly do himself.

But what was special about now? Is it that Richard was so easily duped but somehow wasn't that stupid before? Is it something about Ben in particular? It's a real puzzler in my book.

Arthur Dent 05-13-09 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 9442741)

The enemy at the beginning reminded me of Richard Hatch for some reason.

BlackCapTen 05-13-09 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by goofee girl (Post 9442734)
Did anybody else notice that Jacob touched all of our losties in the flashbacks except for Hurley? Am I wrong?

I think he did touch Hurley in the cab.

dsa_shea 05-13-09 10:17 PM

It makes you wonder now if the Jacob in the cabin was the real one or an apparition created by the enemy to breed a hate of him in Ben. It makes sense now that Locke was able to see him and actually helped him in an indirect way. What wouldn't make sense is for that to have been the real Jacob in the cabin surrounded by the black powder while simultaneously living free in the foot of the statue. And who the hell are the other passengers from the Ajira flight?

Matthew Ackerly 05-13-09 10:18 PM

I hope we haven't seen the last of Desmond.

Seems like his story might be over.