DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/554954-lost-2-hour-season-finale-incident-5-13-09-a.html)

DarkestPhoenix 05-20-09 03:25 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09

Originally Posted by XavierMike (Post 9443748)
I'm thinking that Jack is going to replace Jacob. Or, maybe Jacob's body that we saw is actually some who died pre-black rock that he is inhabiting. Perhaps he will animate another body now? Faraday?

Wow, awesome...even moreso if he reanimated Locke! Locke vs Locke.

Wild.

dsa_shea 05-20-09 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix (Post 9455244)
Neither did Kate's horse.

Maybe the horse is a look alike from a once thriving western civilization on the island.

The Bus 05-20-09 10:13 AM

Ancient civilizations on the island? That's ludicrous.

Flave 05-20-09 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mordred (Post 9454905)
Simple explanation: You can't train a donkey to walk down a ladder. Any more questions smart guy? ;)

Pffffftttttt...have you seen Shrek?! Donkeys can do almost anything.

Flave 05-20-09 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9455620)
Ancient civilizations on the island? That's ludicrous.

How about future civilizations then?

Jeremy517 05-20-09 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 9452469)
That would make it the world's crappiest bomb. She was a foot and a half away from it and had about 5 tons of metal on top of her.

Unless you think that Jack, Kate, and Sawyer are dead also, then one's proximity to the bomb probably isn't relevant.

Kmical 05-20-09 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 9454357)
I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but in case not, the creators actually confirmed that this theory is false.

Are these the same creators that confirmed (during Season 1) that everything in the show can be explained by science? ;)

DarkestPhoenix 05-20-09 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by moonraker (Post 9444201)
I'm interested in this: why can't Jacob and his enemy kill each other directly? In other words, who or what is imposing/enforcing this rule? Why couldn't Jacob's enemy simply haved picked up a large rock and bashed Jacob's head with it during the opening scene of the season finale? I hope this gets explained in the final season (i.e., instead of just telling us they can't, I want to know *why* they can't). Because if these two guys really are the reason behind all the events we have seen, this question deserves an answer.

I don't know, but I think it would have something to do with the fact that Fake-Locke probably can't touch people, just like Christian. Remember, Locke wanted to be helped up, but Christian denied him. I think he did that because he CAN'T, not because he won't. Killing Jacob may have made contact now possible, because as soon as Ben stabbed the shit out of him, Lockeness was able to kick him, when they hadn't touched previously.

Christian confuses me, though...if he isn't really Christian, but a body-snatcher replacement, then why does he still care about his children and blurt out things like, "Say hello to my son"?

Palaver 05-20-09 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix (Post 9455963)
Christian confuses me, though...if he isn't really Christian, but a body-snatcher replacement, then why does he still care about his children and blurt out things like, "Say hello to my son"?

Since he probably has Christian's memories, he is using them to manipulate people close to Christian to further whatever agenda he has.

Michael Corvin 05-20-09 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kmical (Post 9455956)
Are these the same creators that confirmed (during Season 1) that everything in the show can be explained by science? ;)

It's lame but the 'dream' and or 'it's all happening in someone's head' angles could easily explain everything. Maybe it's like the movie Identity where
Spoiler:
the characters dying off are multiple personalties of an insane person.

I know that theory is as hated as purgatory(I'm no fan of any of them myself) but everything could be explained by science in all those scenarios.

Kmical 05-20-09 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9456012)
It's lame but the 'dream' and or 'it's all happening in someone's head' angles could easily explain everything. Maybe it's like the movie Identity where
Spoiler:
the characters dying off are multiple personalties of an insane person.

I know that theory is as hated as purgatory(I'm no fan of any of them myself) but everything could be explained by science in all those scenarios.

I actually enjoyed that twist in Identity. At the conclusion of two hours, it was a cool revelation.

Doing this after 6 seasons, 100+ episodes, and 4 DVD season box-sets is more of a big "screw you" to the loyal viewers :mad:

dsa_shea 05-21-09 12:00 AM

I can't believe that this thread almost made it off of the front page.

DarkestPhoenix 05-21-09 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Talos (Post 9445337)
It's easy to write off the whole past of the show with something as game changing as the rivalry of superpowers going on that was never suspected. However, the show's characters clearly are important to Jacob. We were carefully shown that he visited them one by one, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Jack, Sayid, Hurley, etc. Jacob has/had a purpose in mind for them and what we have seen over the last 5 seasons is his plan playing out. JJ Abrahms is all about mystery and that's what I love about it. It doesn't matter to me if this is all planned out or not, once it's complete that will be the story. So I don't judge the show by whether episode one is completely congruent with episode one-hundred, but rather how much entertainment I get out of each episode.

True enough.

I don't think George Lucas has an idea for Empire when he made Star Wars, but it doesn't change the fact that Empire still kicks major ass.

calhoun07 05-21-09 06:37 PM

A friend of mine just caught up with the season finale and had an interesting theory that I don't know if it's been mentioned or not (I haven't gone through all the pages yet and for some reason when I try to do a search for the terms all I get is a white page) but the bomb didn't go off...it was a time jump. Which makes sense...the Losties accomplished what they went back in time for, and that was to cause the incident that leads up to their own crash, and it took everybody to get it done, which is why they had to wait three years to get to that point.

Aphex Twin 05-21-09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9458950)
A friend of mine just caught up with the season finale and had an interesting theory that I don't know if it's been mentioned or not (I haven't gone through all the pages yet and for some reason when I try to do a search for the terms all I get is a white page) but the bomb didn't go off...it was a time jump. Which makes sense...the Losties accomplished what they went back in time for, and that was to cause the incident that leads up to their own crash, and it took everybody to get it done, which is why they had to wait three years to get to that point.

I wonder why no one ever considered that yet

DarkestPhoenix 05-22-09 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9447117)
It was well done, and now if it's revealed they were "Adam and Eve," I think it will be a bit more satisfying now. It gave their characters some closure on the series.

But what will happen to Vincent?

Adam, Eve and Thanksgiving Dinner.

DarkestPhoenix 05-22-09 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 9447108)
Ah, somebody else saw it too....this what I think as well. And the more I think about it, the more I think Jacob is the evil on the island. He is responsible for every bad thing that happens on it (from what we have seen, anyway) and the guy in black is the good force and the protector of the island and desperately wants to make things right again.

I would like this more, but the problem is that then that makes Ben kinda good by default, which doesn't seem right, though he is a character one could kind of empathize with at times. Only problem with this theory is that Jacob said that someday they would come to the island and live in complete peace...hmm.

DarkestPhoenix 05-22-09 01:23 AM

Quick thought...why would Jacob save Locke if he knew Locke's survival would result in his own demise?

Jacob seems to be able to predict the future or know it if he's contacting people as kids who will be instrumental figures on the island someday in the future.

GenPion 05-22-09 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kmical (Post 9456141)
I actually enjoyed that twist in Identity. At the conclusion of two hours, it was a cool revelation.

Doing this after 6 seasons, 100+ episodes, and 4 DVD season box-sets is more of a big "screw you" to the loyal viewers :mad:

It won't be. Damon Lindelof was asked in an interview a year or two ago if it was possibly something similar to multiple personalities to a single character - or if it was all in someone's head. He responded by saying he'd seen the movie Identity and "Let's just say I did not like that film." In other words, he hated that twist. As did I. So you really shouldn't worry about that one. No matter what they do it will NOT be "It was all a dream... " etc.

DarkestPhoenix 05-22-09 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 9448133)
I was wondering about this too. Faux Locke knew where Jacob was, so he could have just said, Hey Ben, lets go kill Jacob. Faux Locke asked Richard to take him to see Jacob.
It seems he wanted to bring Richard and the rest of the Others to the statue.

No, Lockeness had to go to Richard to ensure Real Locke would have the bullet taken care of and leave the island to die.

Then, he had Richard and the Others come to the statue. I think the loophole may be that the leader of the Others can be given access into Jacob's sanctuary, but only Richard can provide that access.

DarkestPhoenix 05-22-09 02:08 AM

Oh, and another thing...when are we going to find out what the hell this thing is:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcHaa6PbKsw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcHaa6PbKsw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

spainlinx0 05-22-09 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix (Post 9459556)
Quick thought...why would Jacob save Locke if he knew Locke's survival would result in his own demise?

Jacob seems to be able to predict the future or know it if he's contacting people as kids who will be instrumental figures on the island someday in the future.

When did Jacob save Locke?

Disneyboy 05-22-09 07:22 AM

I don't think that that scene needs to be explained more, they needed a way for Michael to find out his gun wasn't loaded, so they used that bird. The producers said in an interview that the bird is a real bird in Hawaii and the sound it makes sounds a lot like "Hurley", so they worked it into the script for fun.

Michael Corvin 05-22-09 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kmical (Post 9456141)

Agreed. I loved the movie twist, but for this show it would be a huge cop-out and piss off nearly everyone. However, it would kind of explain how people die off only to return later albeit, slightly different, ala Pet Sematary.

Palaver 05-22-09 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9459736)
When did Jacob save Locke?

When Locke fell out of the window during a flashback.