DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/554954-lost-2-hour-season-finale-incident-5-13-09-a.html)

Son of Odin 05-14-09 04:01 AM

Re: Lost -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "The Incident" -- 5/13/09

I can't see how some think season 3 was the worst. it had 3 of my top ten episodes. "flashes before your eyes" was the best desmond episode. "the man from tallahassee" was excellent. "the brig", easily in my top five lost episode, when sawyer finds the guy he has been looking for his entire life. then "through the looking glass" which has been said to be the best finale of lost so far. the season started out slow with the cages but it picked up steam and hit it's stride once they got off hydra island. my favorite seasons are 5, 3, 4, 1, 2. season 2 being last because it introduced all new characters from the tail section, gave us flashbacks of them, and then killed them all off. what a waste. season 2 could've been told in half the time.

Aphex Twin 05-14-09 04:04 AM

What happened to Mikal (sp? The eye patch dude who killed Charlie).

dino88 05-14-09 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9442726)
How does that even make sense?
I see only 2 options:
They're dead
or
They're at the airport

Really, only 2 options? How long have you been watching Lost?

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin (Post 9443096)
What happened to Mikal (sp? The eye patch dude who killed Charlie).

He died killing Charlie. He set off the grenade that led to Charlie drowning.

dino88 05-14-09 05:16 AM

Did anyone notice that Jacob put one piece of fish on the fire, but when he offered it to fill in the blank there were 2 pieces? And would it just be a coincidence that this miracle is written about in the Gospel of John?

atlantamoi 05-14-09 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 9442706)
Worst season of Lost ever. Yeah, I said it.

This might have been my favorite season of them all. I like being confused.

DthRdrX 05-14-09 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 9443073)
I doubt it will carry over but I did notice it. Definitely a hint as to what happened and what we may see next year. I'm guessing Lost: Season One and perhaps beyond played out differently and with the information we know now.

Whatever Happened, Happened was not entirely true in the end. Maybe proof of this was the original numbers still being broadcasted when 316 landed on the island. We shouldn't have heard anything as the losties turned the transmissions off at the tower in the S3 finale.

During the one of the last podcasts they mentioned that the scene where Faraday explains his bomb theory to Jack and Kate was around 10 mins long and needed to be cut down. They really liked the scene though.

The original shot shows him throw a little stone into the creek they were at, and then he mentioned that nothing really changed at all. He then picked up a huge rock/boulder and threw it in, which resulted in a bunch of new streams. I think this is where they are going with the story but whatever plot elements changed we most likely were shown when 316 crashed.

HotThang 05-14-09 05:40 AM

GREAT Finale! I'm rewatching it tonight to see what I missed.

BTW - Weren't we supposed to see young Tom (Mr. Friendly)?

DthRdrX 05-14-09 05:53 AM

It would have been cool to see him, or Claire/Walt show up. What can you do?

Another thing that I thought was interesting was the Kate/Sawyer 'flashbacks'. I wonder if they were also proof that Jacob changed things, in smaller ways? Sawyer never finished his revenge letter in the 70s and Kate gets helped out of that situation at the store before she runs for the first time.

dino88 05-14-09 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 9443035)
2010 couldn't get here soon enough!

Of all the things that upset you Gen, I'm surprised you weren't saddened by the most depressing of them all....Hurley will never be credited with writing The Empire Strikes Back.

TheKing 05-14-09 06:08 AM

I think this finale is the most thought provoking that Lost has ever had. I think the first four finales all gave a pretty good idea about where the show was heading next. Season 1 told us that season 2 would be about the hatch. Season 2 told us that season 3 would be about The Others. Season 3 told us that Season 4 would be about the Flash Forwards. Season Four told us Season 5 would be about time travel and going back.

What the hell did this finale tell us? For the first time, the finale doesn't really give us any idea on what direction things are headed next. Is it going to be an overall battle of good vs. evil? Is it going to be about erasing the past? Is everyone dead? Is Locke dead? For the last season finale, they decided to give us no clear direction, instead they just put the Oceanic group in the most impossible situations they could, and Season 6 will be about how they get out of it.

I'm glad we got to see how Chang lost his hand. Nice to see the Hurley and Sayid stories filled in. Nice to see the surgery that Jack talked about in the pilot after all this time. Great to see that the statue actually does have a great deal of importance.

But jeez, who's dead? who's alive? Where the hell are they? When the hell are they? So many questions. And yeah, I think the closing blurb being inverted color wise is significant. That's what the cover for the season 5 DVD looks like, so I'd say that's pretty important.

chanster 05-14-09 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443009)
That's what I got too. I think many folks here are getting the history mixed up in a way to try and figure out how tonight fits in.

Since this anomaly is sucking all the metalic objects in, and presumably getting stronger at this sucking the longer it leaks it's energy, could the blast from the bomb simply end up enhancing the effect since the bomb is really just a release of energy?

The story of jacob and his enemy would probably make more sense to you guys if you stop thinking in a monotheistic viewpoint. It should be obvious from this episode that jacob and his enemy are simply two Egyptian Gods. Perhaps they are stuck on the island since that is the only place left where people follow them anymore. So the other guy isn't evil, think about how many people jacob has sacrificed, they are just two rival Gods. My guess is this is Horus and Seth (isn't that his main rival god, been awhile since I read up on this stuff) and it feels right to label the other guy evil since christianity is largely based on Horus. However, you must not look at good versus evil here, simply as two gods fighting for all eternity.

Actually, I think the Egyptians on the island were similar to the Black Rock folks and the Oceanic crew, they were brought to the island - but they are not related to Jacob.

kaze0 05-14-09 06:27 AM

Not-jacob was "locke"d in the cabin at some point and kept in by the ash around it. Did we ever see who disrupted that? He eventually got out and is able to transform into all of the dead people who have appeared on the island. He has been trying to influence everyone on the island towards the goal of killing Jacob. The only way for him to get to Jacob would be to be able to become a dead leader and then bring someone else, in this case Ben, to do the dirty work. Locke may have been the first opportunity is so many years where it was doable, since Locke died off the island.

Pointyskull 05-14-09 07:03 AM

I enjoyed the finale as much as I'm going to enjoy next eight+ months of theorizing!

Get out those clue notebooks!!

Pointyskull 05-14-09 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by goofee girl (Post 9442734)
Did anybody else notice that Jacob touched all of our losties in the flashbacks except for Hurley? Am I wrong?

Wrong.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ull/Hurley.gif

majorjoe23 05-14-09 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 9443035)
The Incident stuff was awesome. Frankly, the only thing that confused me was the fact that in the video doesn't Pierre Chang say that a computer must not be used for contact with the outside world or else another incident would occur? If so, I don't see how that's at play on the show at all. Hmmm....

The incident was caused by outsiders, my guess is Chang doesn't want the outside being contacted for fear that more outsiders arrive and possibly screw up the experiments. That could explain the whole quarantine thing.

Groucho 05-14-09 08:07 AM

This episode was the bomb, yo!

RichC2 05-14-09 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Son of Odin (Post 9443095)
I can't see how some think season 3 was the worst. it had 3 of my top ten episodes. "flashes before your eyes" was the best desmond episode. "the man from tallahassee" was excellent. "the brig", easily in my top five lost episode, when sawyer finds the guy he has been looking for his entire life. then "through the looking glass" which has been said to be the best finale of lost so far. the season started out slow with the cages but it picked up steam and hit it's stride once they got off hydra island. my favorite seasons are 5, 3, 4, 1, 2. season 2 being last because it introduced all new characters from the tail section, gave us flashbacks of them, and then killed them all off. what a waste. season 2 could've been told in half the time.

I agree Season 2 was easily the worst. They had no idea where they were going and were still on the mindset of "lets see how much we can stretch this out.", that season had a reasonably cool finale though. (FWIW, my ordering would be along the lines of 1, 5, 4, 3, ..., 2.)

Rob V 05-14-09 08:15 AM

IMO this show is a recurring series of events. All the things we have seen keep happening over and over until a "resolution" finally presents itself for the main character (whether that's Jack, Jacob, Jacob's nemesis, etc). The characters evolve in small ways with each iteration but never quite achieve their "goal" -- this is what I took the "loophole" to mean.

The Dark Tower series of books is a perfect example of this (and possibly the Matrix too). My guess is that the very last episode of the series will see the Losties crashing on the island just like we saw in the very first episode.

kaze0 05-14-09 08:20 AM

I think similarly, but I think the start of next season will be them crashing on the island again. Followed by new event slightly changed by Daniel, Jacob, whoever else.

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 9443293)
IMO this show is a recurring series of events. All the things we have seen keep happening over and over until a "resolution" finally presents itself for the main character (whether that's Jack, Jacob, Jacob's nemesis, etc). The characters evolve in small ways with each iteration but never quite achieve their "goal" -- this is what I took the "loophole" to mean.

The Dark Tower series of books is a perfect example of this (and possibly the Matrix too). My guess is that the very last episode of the series will see the Losties crashing on the island just like we saw in the very first episode.

flagstone 05-14-09 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by tcoursen (Post 9442858)
and if that is the case, then Richard was right and that Locke wasn't special. So then at least in the recent episodes Richard got punked also.

On another forum, it was pointed out that it was actually Fake Locke that told Richard to tell Real Locke to bring everyone back to the island while he was removing the bullet, and that Real Locke was going to have to die to do it. So if somehow the person being impersonated (Locke, Christian) has to be dead for it to work, Fake Locke set up that part of the condition himself.

And punked Richard into helping him out. Presumably part of the whole "loophole" thing.

Groucho 05-14-09 08:31 AM

If Fake Locke and Fake Christian are one and the same -- what happened to Real Christian's body?

Matthew Ackerly 05-14-09 08:37 AM

I have a feeling that both Widmore's story and Dharma's story are finished and the final season will just feature the original losties.

Even Desmond's story might be finished.

flagstone 05-14-09 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9443317)
If Fake Locke and Fake Christian are one and the same -- what happened to Real Christian's body?

Used to make fish biscuits?

Palaver 05-14-09 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by s}{ammer (Post 9443009)
The story of jacob and his enemy would probably make more sense to you guys if you stop thinking in a monotheistic viewpoint. It should be obvious from this episode that jacob and his enemy are simply two Egyptian Gods.

I think it would be a mistake to assign any particular mythology to these characters. I think what we will end up seeing is that these characters may be the basis for many religions that originated in that area of the world.

Egyptians may have based their gods on them, but so may have Judaism, or any of the other Mesopotamian based religion. I doubt that any one mythology will give us a 100% accurate view of these characters.

kaze0 05-14-09 08:53 AM

I think people in theUS will flip out if they try to make these characters the origin of most any religion