Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dollhouse -- Season Finale -- "Omega" -- 5/8/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dollhouse -- Season Finale -- "Omega" -- 5/8/09

Old 05-18-09, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- Season Finale -- "Omega" -- 5/8/09

Count me as one who also likes Topher. Never got the hate. He delivers his smarmy dialogue well, and I think we'll get a lot more background on him next season that will hopefully smooth over the hatred toward him.
Old 05-18-09, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
How to fix Dollhouse.

4. Hire another hot female lead WHO CAN ACT. Keep Dushku, and if you want to keep the asian alien lady then fine, but let's get some more eye candy on the screen people!
It seems to me that Eye candy is not one of this show's problems.
Old 05-18-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by James Lafleur
Count me as one who also likes Topher. Never got the hate. He delivers his smarmy dialogue well, and I think we'll get a lot more background on him next season that will hopefully smooth over the hatred toward him.
He really doesn't bother me. I think the actor is doing his job by portraying a smart ass brainiac that constantly needs to project that he is smarter than everyone else. I actually thought the whole birthday sequence really added some depth to the character and showed just how lonely he is deep down.
Old 05-18-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I might like Topher if I liked the actor playing him.
Old 05-18-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread but am I the only one that got the impression that Whiskey was Topher's ex or former best friend that he now has to create every year on his birthday?
Old 05-18-09, 12:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

ROFL, back on 9PM Friday nights. =FAIL=
Old 05-18-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
How to fix Dollhouse.

1. Kill off Topher.
2. More secret ops/military type missions, less hooker/child therapist/midwife missions.
3. Kill off Topher.
4. Hire another hot female lead WHO CAN ACT. Keep Dushku, and if you want to keep the asian alien lady then fine, but let's get some more eye candy on the screen people!
5. Kill off Topher.
6. More Ballard.

~fin~

I don't hate him so much as think he just belongs in a different show. He is a more a Zander type but he just doesn't fit with the show.

I do agree that Dushku is the weak link here.
Old 05-18-09, 05:33 PM

The Hollywood Reporter's James Hibberd:
Rescued fan favorite "Dollhouse" returns on Fridays, but with a modest lead-in from new comedy "Brothers" and utility player "Til Death" that seems unlikely to reverse its ratings woes. (And, yes, "Terminator" is canceled).

Explaining the pickup of "Dollhouse," Fox executives said the show allows the network to keep scripted programming on Friday nights, which pleases advertisers. Also, Reilly admitted there was concern about the perception of re-launching Friday with an entirely new lineup of scripted programming.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/foxs-...schedule-.html
Joss Whedon talks 'Dollhouse' renewal

Joss Whedon talks about the "Dollhouse" renewal, how budget cuts may change the show and his plans for season two.

Q: This must have been a roller coaster for you these past few weeks.

I’ve been busy working on a movie in Canada and just sort of let it happen. I know everybody has been on tenderhooks, but I go to a very Zen place during times like this because what are you gonna do? I sort of assumed they were going to tell me I wasn’t going to do more. It looked pretty grim there. I prepped myself so well that when I heard I felt more like Zero Mostel in “The Producers” than anyone else -- “What?!”

Q: How much was making that 13th episode on a shoestring budget part of the renewal?

We had talked about shooting on digital, shooting faster. We still want to make some classical looking “Dollhouse” pieces, but I think there’s ways to do that faster and cheaper and of course Fox had some other ways to make things cheaper -- but not exactly like Episode 13, which had a very specific, hand-held monochromatic look to it. I like that kind of challenge. As a producer I’ve never had enough money to put my shows on and I make them look as good as they could be. So it doesn’t frighten me. It will give us a nice energy.

Q: Some fans will wonder, “Will we notice not as much money is going into the show?”

My hope is “No.” In the fifth year of “Angel” we cut our budget significantly, yet we built a completely new set, we had an episode set on a submarine in the ‘40s. Nobody felt like it was a cut back. Ultimately if the stories aren’t involving and somebody is going, [snobbish voice] “This doesn’t look as expensive as the last episode,” then the person has strange priorities.

Q: You pitched season two as being more like the last few episodes of the season, can you talk about that?

The last few episodes we got to play "the man behind the curtain" a lot. We did less of, “And this week, she’s a neurosurgeon!” Which we’ll still do to an extent, it’s part of the fun. But we got into what makes the place tick, what makes it wrong. It was less, “Murder She Was Imprinted to Write.” The episodes were more satisfying and the network responded to that. And we also responded to their ideas about pacing and it being more of a thriller and a conspiracy so they were seeing what they were hoping for when we got the aspect we were looking for.

Q: Isn’t that a little ironic though since Fox's initial desire was to be very episodic an stand-alone?

Mm-hmm. Every studio or network will always ask for more episodic because episodes rerun better. But some shows are not built that way. This one seemed like it was more than it actually was.

Q: And given the flash forward of the 13th episode, how will that influence on how second season picks up?

My feeling is we will be paying that off around the – the flash-forward in the 13th episode took place long after where we are right now. So we can be moving toward some of those events which are unexplained. We have a few years where we can do anything we want before it would be weird if we didn’t start paying them off.

Q: They’re returning "Dollhouse" to Fridays, lead in is the sitcom “Til Death.” We you hoping for a different time period? Do you think the show can still pop?

We’ve never had much luck with our lead ins. Obviously the “Til Death”/”Dollhouse” conflux has a huge fanbase. [dryly] There’s a lot of cross over between “Til Death” and “Dollhouse.” It couldn’t be a more perfect match, really.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/joss-...e-renewal.html
Fox Flash:
DOLLHOUSE ranks #1 in its Friday 9pm time period among Adults 18-34 and Men 18-34 and #2 with Adults 18-49, Adults 25-54, Women 18-34, and Men 18-49/25-54.

DOLLHOUSE delivered FOX’s highest-rated Friday series premiere in over four years (since 1/14/05) among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.

DOLLHOUSE delivers an educated audience, surpassing its Total U.S Adults 18-49 average in “Adults 18-49 with 4+ Years of College.”

DOLLHOUSE averages a +40% increase from Live + Same Day to Live + 7 Day, making it the #1 most time-shifted show on network television.

http://www.foxflash.com/div.php/main...63z1z8&ID=4934

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 05-18-09 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

I would watch this show if Eliza Dushku could act. I couldn't stand her on Buffy and Angel either. My least favorite character. Hell, I would take more Dawn over the Faith character.

Summer Glau is free now. Why not pull a soap opera and do a "and for now the role of Echo will be played by Summer Glau?"
Old 05-19-09, 04:52 PM

Ballard as Echo's handler?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1I1r9J9p6Y
Old 05-19-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mountain_dew
I would watch this show if Eliza Dushku could act. I couldn't stand her on Buffy and Angel either. My least favorite character. Hell, I would take more Dawn over the Faith character.

Summer Glau is free now. Why not pull a soap opera and do a "and for now the role of Echo will be played by Summer Glau?"
She is great playing a Faith type character but her range is limited.
Old 05-19-09, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
Thank you! I couldn't post that clip before so I'm glad someone did.
Old 05-19-09, 06:02 PM

Eliza mentioned, in a few interviews, that she had to speak Russian for an upcoming episode. The only episode it would seem to fit is "Epitaph One" directed by Joss Whedon yet on the clapperboard I can make out "D. SO" (David Solomon?) and "A. CHA" (Andrew Chambliss?).
Old 05-19-09, 06:44 PM

I was nervous about the budget cuts, but Whedon's point about Angel Season 5 (my favorite season) put my fears to rest.
Old 05-19-09, 07:35 PM

I thought of Angel's 5th season (not just my favorite of that show but my single favorite season of TV ever) when they announced a smaller budget, and I think it'll cut out a lot of the Doll mission activity that really just hasn't been engaging. Hell, the only one that was really used well was when they imprinted Dolls to investigate...the Dollhouse (That one where the old woman got to solve her own murder was an interesting concept but was executed poorly; shame, as Dushku was actually good in it). I like the fact that he's committed to getting down and dirty with what's going on inside and leaving the engagements to the fringe where they belong.

I just hope it turns enough profit through ratings and time-shifted nos. to make it past mid-season and maybe get a better slot.
Old 05-20-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I hope Fox will change their mind and air "Epitaph One" now that the show is coming back. I really don't want to have to buy the DVDs just for one episode.
Old 05-20-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I hope Fox will change their mind and air "Epitaph One" now that the show is coming back. I really don't want to have to buy the DVDs just for one episode.
Renting it would work.
Old 05-20-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went looking to see if this had been addressed in the past two months since the video was posted. Given those of us just seeing the video for the first time have the benefit of having seen the finale where it seems a certaintly Ballard will be Echo's handler, it's easy to forget what seeing that video would have been like April 1st.

All the comments have the fans going apeshit because "OMFG! HOW COULD FOX RELEASE THAT BIG OF A SPOILER! OMG MY LIFE RUINED!!1!ONE1" My guess it was just one big joke to get some fans riled up, an insiders April Fool's joke inside of an April Fool's joke for the public. Only Whedon would take a stupid Fox concept and then get fan's all riled up believing they'd seen something they shouldn't due to it. Obviously the ridiculous dialogue is proof it was shot strictly for public consumption as an April Fool's joke.

And on another note, I do hope we all realize this show will last all of three episodes into it's second season. Til Death as it's lead in? Seriously? What the fuck? The show hasn't even *aired* since Oct 8th!!! How was it even renewed when it's been 8 months since a single episode has been shown and several are listed as unaired, meaning Fox didn't even want to blow them at any point in the season? A show that obviously is going to set records for fewest viewers of the 09 season that has absolutely not a single crossover viewer with Dollhouse is Dollhouse's leadin? I couldn't be more excited when I heard this incredible show was renewed, and unfortunately now I couldn't be more disappointed since the future is rather obvious.
Old 05-20-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mountain_dew

I'm as much disappointed by Eliza Dushku's acting abilities as anyone else, but it does little to complain about it anymore. She's Echo and that's that. With the friendship between her and Joss, it is a virtual impossibility that this will change. Let's just be thankful that Season 2 got approved and hope Joss builds her character so that Eliza fits into it without requiring a lot of acting range. I'm sure she's doing the best she can. I already got the sense that the "supporting" cast will take on much bigger roles in the next season. Hopefully not Topher though. Unless Joss can pull off another Xander transformation.
Old 05-20-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Renting it would work.
No one around here rents out seasons that I know of, unfortunately.
Old 05-20-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

There are always torrents.
Old 05-20-09, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by hahn
I'm as much disappointed by Eliza Dushku's acting abilities as anyone else, but it does little to complain about it anymore. She's Echo and that's that. With the friendship between her and Joss, it is a virtual impossibility that this will change. Let's just be thankful that Season 2 got approved and hope Joss builds her character so that Eliza fits into it without requiring a lot of acting range. I'm sure she's doing the best she can. I already got the sense that the "supporting" cast will take on much bigger roles in the next season. Hopefully not Topher though. Unless Joss can pull off another Xander transformation.
Agreed. Claire Kramer (Glory Buffy Season 5) is a terrible actress; makes Dushku look like Streep, in the Whedon written episodes Kramer was tolerable sometimes downright great in the role. I have faith that Whedon will write better stories for her.
Old 05-21-09, 02:06 AM

From TV Guide:
Now that Amy Acker's Happy Town pilot has been picked up by ABC, what does that mean for Dollhouse's Dr. Saunders? — Lynn

MATT: I ran your question by Eliza Dushku when I chatted her up at Fox's upfront party, and while the Dollhouse lead/producer is unsure just yet Acker's Happy news will impact Dr. Saunders'/Whiskey's presence in Season 2, she said that at the very least, "I hope Amy will pop in and grace us now and then." Beyond that situation, sources assure me that snipped Season 2 budget or not, the Dollhouse staff will suffer no casualties.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/MegaBuzz...Y-1006199.aspx
From Entertainment Weekly:
Question: Since Amy Acker's show Happy Town has been picked up, what does that mean for Dr. Saunders on Dollhouse? Is she headed for the attic? --Mike W.

Ausiello: Not if puppetmaster Joss Whedon has anything to say about it. He tells me he'll be "sending [Happy producers] chocolate and flowers," he laughs. "We're desperate to have her." As such, he is disinclined to put another doctor in the d'house. Only if "we find out that we're not going to use her for the bulk of the season" would he do that, he says. "[But] everyone is not going to be in every episode, so it's perfectly possible that there will just be stories that don't involve Dr. Saunders."

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/...siello--2.html

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 05-21-09 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 08:58 AM

Since HT doesn't come out until midseason, maybe they can at least get Amy's stuff done for a few episodes. She's too good and her character's too interesting for them to just write her out of it so soon.
Old 05-27-09, 10:40 PM

From Entertainment Weekly:
Question: With Sarah Connor Chronicles canceled, please tell me there is a possibility of Summer Glau making an appearance on Dollhouse! --Jenn

Ausiello: The noise you're about to hear is the sound of the Whedonverse exploding. Joss confirms to me exclusively that, well, he's one step head of you. "If anybody thinks [bringing Summer onto Dollhouse] hasn't occurred to me already then they have not met me," he says. "I mentioned it to her before [SCC] was canceled. I was like, 'You know, we should get you in the 'house.' But first we have to come up with something that works." And casting her as a doll would not work, insists Whedon. "Summer would be perfect to play an active, but she's done that [type of role] a lot," he says. "I'd rather see her play someone who talks too much. The most fun I have is when I get somebody who's good and comfortable at doing something, and then I make them do something else. Summer said to me, 'I would like to play a normal girl before I die of extreme old age.'"

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/...siello--3.html

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 05-27-09 at 10:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.