Dollhouse -- Season Finale -- "Omega" -- 5/8/09

Old 05-28-09, 07:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dollhouse -- Season Finale -- "Omega" -- 5/8/09

Old 05-28-09, 07:39 AM
ATX

she shouldn't go on that crap show, it'll be cancelled after 3 episodes of season 2 hopefully

her agent should holler at ABC, maybe we can get her on LOST
Old 06-04-09, 03:39 PM

From Blast Magazine:
E3 2009: Blast EIC falls in love … err, interviews Eliza Dushku

BLAST: I want to talk about Dollhouse a bit. What was the most challenging thing about season one?

ED: Well if you asked me like three weeks ago I’d say the Friday night time slot. Because, you know, it’s Friday night, the people weren’t necessarily showing up and seeing it on their TVs on a Friday night, but then when they woke up we were the most DVR’d show in history or something.

I started realizing how many people were watching. Now it’s just kind of gravy that we get to go back and do anther season. We don’t have to worry sort of about what the numbers coming in on Friday are. We’re reaching our audience, you know?

BLAST: Does your producer role change your relationship with Joss Wheedon at all?

ED: Yes. We’re so serious. We’re so business oriented there’s no fun and games anymore. (laughs) Not even. I think I’m going to go back and bring them all pizza. He just texted me last night and said “we’re officially en fuego.”

BLAST: What’s been your favorite imprint so far?

ED: I had a lot of fun playing the assassin. I fought FBI agent Ballard and what was it, (episode) six, “Man on the Steet.” That’s also the episode where the show really picked up and found its voice. That was like a high episode.

It’s also cool in the end, “Omega,” where I played like 38 personalities at once.

BLAST: Do you ever feel that the show is too risque?

ED: No. I have three older brothers, and they saw the whole dominatrix opener one day and were like “really sis? Really?” but, you know, it’s part of the “we give the people what they want” on the show, and they want that.

BLAST: What are you looking forward to in season two?

ED: I feel like we really found a groove toward the end of the season and we just have so many stories that we want to tell and so many places we want to go and now we just get that chance and now we just get to make the show we want to make.

BLAST: Is there someplace new you want to go with the show in season two?

ED: There’s a little bit less of the dumbed down doll and a little more of this young woman now being able to figure out what she’s going to do.

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazin...-eliza-dushku/

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 06-04-09 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 03:53 PM

There’s a little bit less of the dumbed down doll and a little more of this young woman now being able to figure out what she’s going to do.
Oh thank you God. I'm really looking forward to the show now that they seem to have ironed out a lot of the issues (though not all). If they get back to Echo figuring it all out, and quickly, this could really take off.
Old 06-05-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They should cast Summer Glau as Topher's hot fraternal twin sister. That way I get my regularly scheduled Summer Glau fix and Topher's presence will be diluted by her hotness.

Oh and...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-05-09 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 07:58 AM

LA Times:
Emmys go to the serial tales, but longevity often goes to procedurals

Meanwhile, Joss Whedon emphasizes that his Fox show, "Dollhouse," is not a procedural -- though he admits it may have seemed that way early on. When asked if he was encouraged by the network to make his show a procedural, he offers a different situation than Abrams': "We were encouraged . . . if you can call shutting us down encouragement. The mission statement is 'do stand-alone, do stand-alone, do stand-alone' and 'as much as possible, make it easy on the audience; don't get involved.' But doing a straight procedural -- that's not something that occurs to my brain."

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/...tory?track=rss
Old 06-08-09, 08:53 AM

It certainly helps Joss that some new blood came in later in the season and were more on board with "proper" Joss stuff that filled the second half and seem to be backing that aspect. Hopefully it stays that way. And they bring Summer Glau on. I know Joss didn't want to use too many "regulars," but they're all incredibly underrated performers (only Fillion and Tudyk seem to get the proper adoration, while everyone else from Hannigan to Acker to Marsters is awesome as well) and he gets the best out of them. Plus, I want to see her play a "normal" person too.
Old 06-11-09, 04:16 PM

Maurissa Tancharoen Whedon's Tweet:
Fazekas and Butters are in D-house and they're awesome.

http://twitter.com/MoTancharoen/status/2107948408
IGN:
Reaper Creators Joining Dollhouse by Eric Goldman
Once again, Twitter tells us so much...

Ah, Twitter. It's the new source of so much time wasting, but also increasingly a place where morsels of news are coming from. The latter situation is the case here, as a new tweet from Dollhouse writer Maurissa Tancharoen informed us that the creators of Reaper, Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters have joined the writing staff of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse for Season 2.

To be specific, what Tancharoen actually wrote was, "Fazekas and Butters are in D-house and they're awesome." I checked with 20th Century Fox and confirmed that Tancharoen was not just hinting that the duo had stopped by for a scone at the Dollhouse writing office, and that they have indeed joined the series.

Fazekas and Butters recently signed an exclusive deal with 20th Century Fox – the same studio that produces Dollhouse. While that deal involves developing new projects, it's not unusual for writer/producers to first take a job at a pre-existing series when they sign new deals of this sort. Similarly, Bryan Fuller returned to Heroes when he signed his recent deal with NBC Universal, though he also will be working on new projects too.

I discovered that Fazekas and Butters have taken the slots vacated by Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain. Craft and Fain, another writing duo, left Dollhouse at the end of Season 1 to join Lie to Me, where they will be reunited with new showrunner Shawn Ryan, creator of The Shield. Craft and Fain worked on The Shield after their stint on Whedon's Angel.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/993/993990p1.html

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 06-11-09 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 10:34 PM

Entertainment Weekly:
Exclusive: Joss Whedon on 'Dollhouse' -- 'Back with such a vengeance' by Mandi Bierly

Joss Whedon is two weeks into breaking stories for Dollhouse's second season, and we're happy to report that he sounds like a happy man even without that season 1 budget. Whedon wrapped his top-secret horror film The Cabin in the Woods on May 29 and hit the Dollhouse writers' room on June 1. "I just wanted to die of tiredness," he tells EW.com exclusively. "About two hours after starting to talk to the writers about story, I was back with such a vengeance, and so energized and so pumped because we really understand the show now. We understand what works, and what didn't work so well or what we weren't so thrilled about. We don't have the onus of trying to be a big hit sitting on our shoulders. We can just be ourselves. And so the stories we're breaking are pure, and exciting, and everybody's on-board in the room, and it's never flowed better."

What does that mean for Season 2? "I'm really proud of the second half of season 1, and we're just expanding on that in a huge way: Finding out the different things that Eliza [Dushku] can be, at the same time as extending our mythology," Whedon says. "Really, just every meeting is like, 'What's the most fun we can have with this actor?' about the whole cast. All I can say -- 'cause I'm gonna be Mr. Un-Spoiler -- is that we're having a crazy amount of fun, and usually, that tends to translate onto the screen."

Speaking slightly spoilery, Whedon tells us that season 2 won't pick up right with "We've got to find Alpha!" but a little bit later. Alan Tudyk has a role on ABC's midseason series V, but Whedon hopes he'll be able to use the character sparingly: "Alpha will always be a part of the equation." Whedon's also hoping to work out a similar loan with the producers of ABC's Happy Town, who nabbed Amy Acker, aka Dr. Saunders/Whiskey.

Whedon says that Echo's last word in the finale, "Caroline," was the beginning of her season 2 quest. "Echo wants to find not just Caroline, but what's going on behind everything. She doesn't have all of the skills. [Laughs] But she does have this weird super power of becoming a different person all the time, so she might start using that more specifically to find out who Caroline was and what happened to her and why this place exists." So she still has all those past imprints in her? "Well, they're supposed to have wiped them out of there. But we'll see how well that went..."

Other burning questions: Summer Glau hasn't signed on for any episodes of Dollhouse yet. "We're still breaking the episodes," Whedon says, "but we didn't honestly go into the season going, 'Now how can we figure out how to service Summer?' when we already have a huge ensemble. I adore Summer and she's phenomenal, but I have to service the cast I have first. If something comes up that's good enough, my God, I'd hound her. But the rumors of her becoming a big part of the show are greatly exaggerated."

And, sorry, but don't hold your breath that Whedon might become involved in the big-screen Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot. "I believe [the producers] did ultimately reach out to my agent after the news broke," Whedon says. "I think that's something better left untouched by me. So, I wish them luck." (They'll need it: In a PopWatch poll, only three percent of readers planned on seeing the film if Whedon wasn't attached.)

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...llhouse-1.html

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 06-11-09 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-12-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, without Summer, I'll probably give the show 1 episode to check out. If I like what I see, I'll stick around.
Old 06-17-09, 11:27 PM

MTV Hollywood Crush:
EXCLUSIVE: ‘Dollhouse’ Star Eliza Dushku Reveals Gay Storylines, Possible Cameo By Nathan Fillion
By Terri Schwartz

With Joss Whedon fans ready to throw their arms up in anger over the expected cancellation of Fox’s “Dollhouse,” it was a more than a pleasant surprise when Fox announced last month that the show would be renewed for a second season.

Before the cult hit returns (filming begins next month!), fans can get their fill of the dolls at San Diego’s Comic-Con. The unaired 13th episode from season one, titled “Epitaph One,” will remain off FOX broadcasting channels, but fans will be lucky enough to see the episode — and Whedon and star Eliza Dushku — during a two-hour panel.

In a recent interview with MTV, Dushku said the episode, which is a flash-forward to an post-apocalyptic “different world of where the Dollhouse can and would evolve to,” will still have some continuity to seasons one and two.

“It’s still relevant and there are still pertinent points and pieces that people will be able to just sort of add to the backstory and a fast-forward story,” the actress says. “The Dollhouse is deep.”

Eliza said Whedon shot the episode in HD (no word yet on whether it will be presented in HD at Comic-Con) and it was intended to be a no-holds-barred mess of anarchy and destruction that would give the show a satisfactory finale if the show had been canceled.

“[It seemed feasible] looking at his past with Fox, what they were previously capable of doing,” notes Eliza, referencing Fox’s cancellation of Whedon’s previous series, “Firefly.”

Eliza wouldn’t give any huge plot points away about the second season of “Dollhouse,” but she did say that there would definitely be some storylines following gay and lesbian characters, and some storylines that would follow her own “adventures” she’s had traveling to Uganda assisting the rehabilitation of child soldiers.

“Last season we already had an idea for a Liberian child soldiers story and it just didn’t make it into the first 13. Now with the second season, we have a lot of stories that we’re looking forward to telling,” she says. “I sort of do my crazy adventures and come up and share them with him and they pop up in the scripts.… We aim to be socially and politically relevant.”

News has already broke that “Firefly” alum Alan Tudyk will reprise his role as Alpha next season, but Dushku did tease that “Castle” star and “Firefly” alum Nathan Fillion might be the next to join the team.

“We didn’t get Fills on [season one],” she said, “but you know, never say never.”

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2009/0...athan-fillion/
Epitaph One screencaps from Singapore:

Old 06-22-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So does that mean that Epitaph One is available through certain means that won't be discussed here? A simple yes or no is fine
Old 06-22-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix View Post
New season sounds gay.
How can Fillion guest star on a Fox show when he is starring in his own ABC one?
Old 06-30-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
How can Fillion guest star on a Fox show when he is starring in his own ABC one?
He hired someone smart to do his contract.
Old 07-09-09, 08:41 PM

Dollhouse writing staff hard at work on season 2:

The first episode of season 2, "Vows", airs on September 25th and will be written and directed by Joss Whedon:

http://twitter.com/EWAusielloFiles/status/2535432950

Casting details for the episode:

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/0...-201-vows.html

Joss talks about Comic Con:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3K_a...layer_embedded

A scene from "Epitaph One" featuring Felicia Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Ni-...layer_embedded

Limited edition Comic Con Dollhouse DVD/Blu-Ray set:

http://dollhouse-comiccon.foxstore.c...ep1?format=brd

The Boston Herald:
On July 22, Dushku returns to the set of “Dollhouse” to begin shooting the second season of the Fox drama. Dushku is delighted the show, from executive producer Joss Whedon, was renewed. She was returning from a trip to Uganda when she got the word.

“When I landed in Boston, I turned on my phone. The first message that popped up was from Joss and it said, ‘We’re back, kid.’ It was really kind of sweet to touch down and get the news.”

“Dollhouse” struggled in its Friday night time slot but did well in DVR and online viewing.

“It’s alive because of the fans and because people found the show. This show is back because it’s a new era. It’s not just a Nielsen world any more. We really feel like the show was starting to find itself. If we hadn’t gone back, it would have been such a mean little tease. We found our rhythm, and we know what worked, we know what didn’t work and now we get to really get dirty.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...&position=also
The Buffalo News:
Michele Fazekas, the Williamsville native who co-created “Reaper,” joined the staff of Fox’s “Dollhouse” with writing partner Tara Butters after the cancellation of her CW series. In an e-mail, Fazekas wrote that she and Butters signed a new overall deal with 20th Century Fox Studios and are consulting producers on “Dollhouse” while they develop new projects.

“Things are going great. We are humongous Joss Whedon fans so it’s very cool to be working with him,” she said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertain...ry/712985.html
The Hollywood Reporter:
Joss Whedon, creator/executive producer of Fox's "Dollhouse," is unhappy with the idea of creating content for the studios, whether it benefits his show or not. "New media for 'Dollhouse' means (Fox) just gets free writing and free acting," he says. "I'm not interested in addendums to existing shows. Sometimes they're beautifully done, but I'm interested in people getting paid equitably for work like that."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...13a9fb50e0e18c
The Baltimore Sun:
Longtime Joss Whedon fan finally gets to join his cast
'Dollhouse' actress Miracle Laurie among the sci-fi stars in Baltimore this weekend

Miracle Laurie didn't want to get a role on just any TV show. She wanted to be on a Joss Whedon TV show. And now she is, and Fox has renewed Dollhouse for a second season, and life just couldn't be a whole lot better.

"I auditioned for Buffy (the Vampire Slayer) at least a thousand times, I tried out to be a series regular on Firefly -- I auditioned for years for his stuff," says Laurie, who will be in Baltimore this weekend, signing autographs and posing for pictures with fans at the annual Shore Leave sci-fi convention at the Hunt Valley Marriott. "It was really a miracle, no pun intended."

Meeting her fans, she insists, is the icing on the cake. She and her boyfriend, actor Christopher May, attended their first fan convention in April, "and it was a blast. We had tons of fun. There were all kinds of crazy, cool people."

And many of them, she says with a laugh, had theories about her character's up-in-the-air future on Dollhouse. The series, starring Eliza Dushku, centers on a group of "dolls," men and women who assume whatever identities their employer wishes, then have their memories erased when the job is over and wait to be re-programmed. When last seen, Laurie's character, Mellie, had been released from life in the dollhouse, with the promise of leading a normal life with her FBI-agent boyfriend, Paul Ballard. But this being TV and all, here's betting that doesn't happen.

"All I know for sure is that I'm coming back next season," Orange County native Laurie says over the phone from Los Angeles, where she's enjoying a break until Dollhouse begins filming again in late summer. "I don't actually know in what form I'll be back. The writers are kind of teasing me…everybody knows but me."

She's prepared, Laurie says, to hear all kinds of fan speculation this weekend. "All the fans are giving me their theories and stuff. One is that I wasn't actually released, that the dollhouse is just using me to get at Paul. Another is that I'll be involved in bringing the dollhouse down from the outside. I think their love story will continue in some manner. We'll see who's right."

"I love meeting people, I love hearing their stories," Laurie insists, basking in the glow that of the TV spotlight. "I'm pretty much a happy girl."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,4253276.story
Old 07-09-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did anyone order the limited edition Comic Con Dollhouse season 1 set? It seems like a nice collector's item since there is only 5000 total produced (DVD and Blu Ray)

However, I just can't bring myself to paying full MSRP for it.
Old 07-09-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
He hired someone smart to do his contract.
Not when he is the star of another show on another network. It's not like he's a guest star or something. Curious to see what they will do with Amy Acker since she is on Happy Town.
Old 07-09-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Did anyone order the limited edition Comic Con Dollhouse season 1 set? It seems like a nice collector's item since there is only 5000 total produced (DVD and Blu Ray)

However, I just can't bring myself to paying full MSRP for it.
Its temping. The BD is $50 on Amazon or $75 if I get the exclusive at Comiccon...is $25 worth it for a letter and slip cover? I don't know yet. But they've only sold like 600 of the 5000 so I'm not too worried.
Old 07-09-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Count me among those that doesn't mind Topher. I don't understand why people seem to hate him so much.

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
ROFL, back on 9PM Friday nights. =FAIL=
Actually, I consider it a success. Being renewed, period, is a success. Staying in the same time slot is also somewhat of a success, given FOX's past habit of switching time slots so much fans didn't know when shows were airing.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I hope Fox will change their mind and air "Epitaph One" now that the show is coming back. I really don't want to have to buy the DVDs just for one episode.
For what it's worth, I think fans of the show should all support this release on DVD or Blu-ray. FOX took a chance really in renewing this show and a strong showing of DVD Sales would probably help it stick around. I'm going to buy it on DVD for sure.
Old 07-09-09, 11:04 PM

I think the Friday slot will mean less than DVR numbers and Hulu. Dollhouse and other Friday shows aren't the only shows moving toward increasing online viewing, and really whether you like DH or not, you have to admit it's great that they've finally acknowledged time-shifted numbers instead of the inane monopoly of the Nielsen system. Dollhouse pulled it downright impressive DVR and Hulu numbers, and if it can keep them and bump up Nielsen ratings a bit (I'm not expecting a drastic shift up) then it should come back after mid-season and/or for a third season.
Old 07-10-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Going by the pic, it looks like Jim Gaffigan is in the mix! Should be a funny season
Old 07-10-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Count me among those that doesn't mind Topher. I don't understand why people seem to hate him so much.
It's his line delivery. It's so forced and grating. When Alan Tudyk was acting like the system designer, he was essentially written just like Topher. However, Alan Tudyk was actually funny. Although I'd like them to tone down the character (he's been effective in very small doses), the problem is mainly with the actor.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-10-09 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-24-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/07/...to-return.html

Amy Acker will return for 3 episodes next season.
Old 07-24-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/07/...to-return.html

Amy Acker will return for 3 episodes next season.
Old 07-24-09, 07:26 PM

Too bad it's only 3. Still, any Amy Acker beats the hell out of no Amy Acker. I hope she has a bigger role on Happy Town than apparently the pilot suggests. If she has to leave the show where she was the most interesting person to play second fiddle smiling wife I'm going to be pissed. Unless it gets her in movies, in which case the winner is everyone.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.