5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 5/07/09

Old 05-08-09, 09:38 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 5/07/09

Maybe Coach's family is so used to him concocting wild stories about his purported adventures that they didn't actually believe he was on Survivor.
Old 05-08-09, 10:17 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Loved how stephen memorised the puzzle.

Jeff seemed equally impressed

INSIGHT: The Immunity Challenge – let me be clear about something. What Stephen did was jaw dropping amazing. We rehearsed that challenge several times. Our smartest guys practiced that challenge. Nobody came close to memorizing the numbers in one pass. Stephen was so far behind, much further than we even had time to show, that I wasn’t even paying attention to him. I thought J.T. had it in the bag. Stephen finally returns and like a mad scientist starts scribbling numbers down as fast as he can. I was checking my cheat sheet, I couldn’t believe he had it right. You can even see me double checking it again after he said he had it. I had to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Our crew was talking about that for a couple of days. Very impressive.
Old 05-08-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a moment, I thought Stephen and JT will blindside Taj. Glad they voted Debbie out. Can't stand her acting so fake. Who the fuck would tell anyone that they would have no problem being #3? What is the pointing of playing this game if you settle for #3?
Old 05-08-09, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Loved how stephen memorised the puzzle.

Jeff seemed equally impressed
Stephen's memorization was f'n amazing. I was impressed that he came up with a whole memorization scheme. It worked out well, certainly better than my and everyone else's strategy of running to the end, memorizing as many as possible and then repeating them in my head until I get back to the beginning.

Does anyone have the puzzle? It bothered me because it appeared that they were not following the order of operations. My first thought was that if I was in that challenge and did the math correctly, I would get the "wrong" answer. If someoone could post the puzzle I'd like to solve it to see what answer I get.
Old 05-08-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Meet Mitchell--Coach's Assistant:
<object width='400' height='300'><param name='movie' value='http://www.cbs.com/e/SaGsXukZ3Wcbtpq5NffgcFq4mYBFEo9w/cbs/1/'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><embed width='400' height='300' src='http://www.cbs.com/e/SaGsXukZ3Wcbtpq5NffgcFq4mYBFEo9w/cbs/1/' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>
Old 05-08-09, 02:48 PM

I don't think they were following the order of operation. Stephen basically did it from left to right, instead of doing the division and multiplication first.

Originally Posted by neilo13
Stephen's memorization was f'n amazing. I was impressed that he came up with a whole memorization scheme. It worked out well, certainly better than my and everyone else's strategy of running to the end, memorizing as many as possible and then repeating them in my head until I get back to the beginning.

Does anyone have the puzzle? It bothered me because it appeared that they were not following the order of operations. My first thought was that if I was in that challenge and did the math correctly, I would get the "wrong" answer. If someoone could post the puzzle I'd like to solve it to see what answer I get.
Old 05-08-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Coach is like a Ben Stiller character. Over the top ridiculous and totally un-self-aware: A level of obliviousness and self-delusion that is at once hilarious and jaw dropping.
Old 05-08-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It never ceases to amaze me to see how emotional these people get when reunited with a loved one after only being away from home for about a month, particularly the younger ones who are seeing a parent, sibling, or....assistant coach.
This gets brought up every year. Try travelling across the world and living with a group of people you don't know and can't trust and see how you feel after a month. You might just be a little choked up to reunite with your assistant coach.
Old 05-08-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
This gets brought up every year. Try travelling across the world and living with a group of people you don't know and can't trust and see how you feel after a month. You might just be a little choked up to reunite with your assistant coach.
Plus, keep in mind that by this time they're 1) living in constant paranoia, feeling they can't trust anyone and a family member gives them a HUGE refreshing break from that and 2) most importantly, they have NOTHING to do 24 hours/day every day but think about their lives and their family. Being away for a month for them would be like being away from your family for a year without so much as a word. For many people, that would be very hard.
Old 05-08-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by neilo13
I used a similar trick when I took an IQ test as a teenager. The tester would say a sequence of numbers and I had to repeat them back in order. As he said them I mentally pictured 3-digit numbers. Thus 2 8 4 9 2 3 4 5 became 284 923 45. I got up to 30 digits before I missed one.

He was pretty astonished.
Old 05-08-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i too would like to see an image of the puzzle. i think i saw JT's board with "PEMDAS" written on the side. i wonder if jeff said to solve the math from left to right, disregarding any order of operations.
Old 05-08-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I assumed it was left-to-right without regarding order of operation. Stephen seemed to working it left to right rather than prioritizing mulitiplication and division.
Old 05-08-09, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Plus, keep in mind that by this time they're 1) living in constant paranoia, feeling they can't trust anyone and a family member gives them a HUGE refreshing break from that and 2) most importantly, they have NOTHING to do 24 hours/day every day but think about their lives and their family. Being away for a month for them would be like being away from your family for a year without so much as a word. For many people, that would be very hard.
Sort of like being on ....jury duty?
Old 05-09-09, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Funny thing to mention. I looked up Coach's (Benjamin Wade's) Bio where he coaches at (Southwest Baptist University) and it doesn't look like he works there anymore.

http://www.sbuniv.edu/athletics/wsoc...hes/index.html

Seems like you either have to quit your job, be unemployed or self employed to be able to spend 36 days away from Home.
Old 05-09-09, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...ben_wade_fired
Old 05-09-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Seems like you either have to quit your job, be unemployed or self employed to be able to spend 36 days away from Home.
Or you could be truthful with your manager and obtain an unpaid leave of absence in good standing.
Old 05-09-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Meet Mitchell--Coach's Assistant:
<object width='400' height='300'><param name='movie' value='http://www.cbs.com/e/SaGsXukZ3Wcbtpq5NffgcFq4mYBFEo9w/cbs/1/'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><embed width='400' height='300' src='http://www.cbs.com/e/SaGsXukZ3Wcbtpq5NffgcFq4mYBFEo9w/cbs/1/' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>
Old 05-10-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Stephen's solution

Lucky for Taj not to have Eddie George come to camp

"Y'know what they call me? The dragon-slayer." Who besides you? (though then Taj brought it up at council)
Old 05-10-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Or you could be truthful with your manager and obtain an unpaid leave of absence in good standing.
Once you are casted, you have to sign a confidentiality agreement and not reveal to friends, family or co-workers where you will be going. That's why so many previous contestants either have to quit their jobs or lie about their whereabouts in order to compete in this show. Same applies with the Amazing Race.
Old 05-10-09, 02:52 PM

Once you are casted, you have to sign a confidentiality agreement and not reveal to friends, family or co-workers where you will be going. That's why so many previous contestants either have to quit their jobs or lie about their whereabouts in order to compete in this show. Same applies with the Amazing Race.
That must suck for Carolina and the likes who quit their jobs just to be voted off first. Those who make it to the jury may gain a little celebrity off of it, but the ones who don't make it to the merge have a lot to lose from this experience.
Old 05-10-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd have to see the agreement for the specifics because you can ask for an unpaid leave of absence at your workplace, but you don't necessarily have to reveal "why" you need the time off.
Old 05-10-09, 04:49 PM

What about the case of Denise Martin from Survivor China?

Douglas Public Schools superintendent Nancy T. Lane released a statement about Denise Martin:

“…stated that she was demoted from her position as a cafeteria worker upon her return from taping the show. This statement is false. In fact, Mrs. Martin held a full-time position as a custodian prior to her participation in the series, and she returned to this same position upon her return from China. Mrs. Martin was granted — at her request — an unpaid leave of absence so that she could participate in the ‘Survivor’ program. We were pleased and excited to support Denise, and have enthusiastically cheered her on throughout the duration of the show.

Last edited by monkyskunk; 05-10-09 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And don't forget about all those family members and friends that show for the family reunion episodes (plus, how about Jonny Fairplay using his friend to share with him the death of his grandmother).

I would guess the signing of a confidentiality agreement (disclosure to family and friends, employers) has more to do with WHERE the contestant is going and how well or poorly they did in the game, but not whether that they have been cast to be on a season of Survivor, in order to protect the secrecy of the results throughout the game.
Old 05-10-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I would guess the signing of a confidentiality agreement (disclosure to family and friends, employers) has more to do with WHERE the contestant is going and how well or poorly they did in the game, but not whether that they have been cast to be on a season of Survivor, in order to protect the secrecy of the results throughout the game.
Yep. I assume all the confidentiality applies once they leave for the game site, not the mere fact that they are participating in the game. Family and friends obviously know given the letters/messages/visits that have taken place every game.

Everyone knows the general area they are going to from the finale of the previous Survivor anyhow.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-10-09 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 09:58 PM

That makes sense. I remember in Taj's intro video she mentioned Eddie telling her not to come back unless she'd won the million dollars. She also said that SWV was performing in Africa during the time the show was taped and I'm certain that they knew where she was.

Last edited by mraw; 05-10-09 at 10:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.