Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Scrubs - "My Chief Concern" (5/5) "My Finale, Parts 1 & 2" (5/6) Season/Series Finale

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Scrubs - "My Chief Concern" (5/5) "My Finale, Parts 1 & 2" (5/6) Season/Series Finale

Old 05-06-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Scrubs - "My Chief Concern" (5/5) "My Finale, Parts 1 & 2" (5/6) Season/Series Fi

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish View Post
Colin Hay!

Have to admit, I choked up a bit at the end.
His appearance, along w/ the TCW, brought a ginormous grin to me face.

I choked up a bit too at the end.
Old 05-06-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Scrubs - "My Chief Concern" (5/5) "My Finale, Parts 1 & 2" (5/6) Season/Series Fi

I thought this was a fantastic finale. Loved the end sequence going down the hall and even the future fantasy.

However, I can't help but think that this played as more of a "goodbye JD" instead of a series finale. This could easily pick up next season without Braff and this finale would still work.

Regardless, this was a solid finale. Good to see that they gave plenty of closure and still left us with the "life goes on" feeling.
Old 05-06-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They still managed to keep the drama and the comedy well balanced with JD leaving and also having one of his last patients diagnosed with Huntington's Disease. To add more salt to his wound, the son wanted to hold off on getting tested just so he could control his own destiny. I loved the future sequence as it showed that the core characters would be fine despite the fact that we will never see them again.

Thumbs up to ABC for the best "promo vs broadcast" switch!

For those who have yet to enjoy this episode:
Spoiler:

The promo last night showed Kim doing the walk across the hall. In the actual finale, it was TCW/Drama Queen (Amy Smart)!

I was looking for Brenden Fraser to pop up but I guess he still was not available. How fitting the last person in the "line" was Hooch in a straitjacket.
Old 05-06-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
I was looking for Brenden Fraser to pop up but I guess he still was not available.
Brendan was more closely tied to Perry in the show, not JD, so I wasn't surprised to not see him in that final walk down the hall.
Old 05-06-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Holy crap! I had no idea that Peter Gabriel recorded a version of the Magnetic Fields' "The Book of Love." Awesome!
This is a fantastic recording - hadn't heard it before. Beautifully used in the finale.

I had no idea Scrubs was doing this tonight (to be honest I haven't watched it in probably a couple years). I've seen most of the first few seasons... and only caught the last 20 minutes tonight... but I thought it was great.

We all know finales aren't easy to do well... I think Scrubs succeeded.
Old 05-06-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme View Post

We all know finales aren't easy to do well... I think Scrubs succeeded.
I agree. Loved it. Loved the final walk down the hall.
Old 05-07-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was looking for Brenden Fraser to pop up but I guess he still was not available. How fitting the last person in the "line" was Hooch in a straitjacket.

Hooch IS Crazy

I was disappointed not to see Tara Reid... I always thought she was JD's best girlfriend. There were a few others missing, but all in all it was great, especially considering the budget they had to work with this whole season.

Damn, as if Dr. Cox's speech about John Dorian wasn't enough to make me well up, they go and hit me with the walk down the hall and the future home movies scenes. Had me going just about as much as Six Feet Under's finale.

FAREWELL SCRUBS!!
Eight incredible seasons is quite an accomplishment in this day and age. You will be missed dearly.
Old 05-07-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it overall, but I'm apparently in the minority here...I thought that was a bit high on the cheesy scale (the hallway walk and screen segment in particular). Maybe it'll be better on repeat viewings. I know that in the back of my mind, I kept thinking about the possibility that the show is going to get another season and that this may or may not actually be the series finale, so maybe that affected my enjoyment of it. I can definitely say that Bill Lawrence's cameo would have held more emotional weight if he hadn't been on the show just a few episodes ago as a completely different character.
Old 05-07-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
Brendan was more closely tied to Perry in the show, not JD, so I wasn't surprised to not see him in that final walk down the hall.
True but Cox trusted JD to help treat Ben. It goes back to what Elliot said one time, JD is Cox's goto guy. I can see why it was so hard for Perry to say his goodbye because he has always had emotional issues. It was such a wonderful speech by Cox to Sunny. I do feel sorry for her though, the next day is going to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hell.
Old 05-07-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I also liked how the ending was more about television shows in general and the feelings Bill Lawrence and Co. had for the fans who have supported them these last 8 years. Classy and touching.
Old 05-07-09, 07:23 AM

Two lines of the night for me:

Carla: Tell me my husband loves me more than you.
JD: Its about the same

And HOOCH!
Old 05-07-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True but JD was going down a group of characters he associated with at Sacred Heart. Eventhough Bredan Fraiser was more of Cox's story, he would have fit perfectly in this. Obviously he was unavailable but I'm sure Bill Lawrence would have loved to have him walk in front of JD and snap a picture.

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Hooch IS Crazy
Best part of that scene. I thought it was a great way to end a highly emotional scene. And the look in Hooch's eyes when he said he was crazy was awesome.
Old 05-07-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gonna chime in here; I thought this finale was fantastic. I'm going to miss this show a lot (one of three shows my wife and I watch together, and we've been watching the entire series on DVD for the past few months), and I'm happy to see it go out on such a note. A show the caliber of Scrubs, though, deserved more fanfare along the lines of Friends and Seinfeld. Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I think Scrubs should go down as one of the finest half-hour network shows in recent memory (not saying much, I know).

I was also surprised at the ability to pull off the SFU-style ending (of sorts) w/o completely cheesing out. That was well-done.

If this is it, great. If not, I'll of course jump back on next season. While I feel like ABC screwed the pooch on the airings this season I'm glad they let them go out with some bit of dignity.
Old 05-07-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony View Post
I liked it overall, but I'm apparently in the minority here...I thought that was a bit high on the cheesy scale
I agree with you on this....
Old 05-07-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want a copy of that pleather bound book of Dr. Cox Rants.

That would be aaaawweessooooooommeeeeee!
Old 05-07-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Always good when a show goes out on its own terms. I'll probably check it out if it comes back next season, but without JD, I don't really think it's Scrubs.

Fantastic finale, which is always hard to do.
Old 05-07-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As soon as JD gave Dr Cox the book of rants and Cox started to recite one, I told my wife that he was going to mention Hugh Jackman. I would have been disappointed if he didn't.

I really enjoyed the episode, but the commercials seemed abrupt. I am going to rewatch it tonight to see if I missed anything.
Old 05-07-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
I am going to rewatch it tonight to see if I missed anything.
I just rewatched it on Hulu... it was great! I need to watch it again.
Old 05-07-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I don't understand wishing for the show's demise when some of the (admittedly major) cast leaves. If the show ends up not being to your liking, it's not like anyone will be forced to watch. And if it turns out to carry a spark of the original or be OK in it's own right, cool. And what brilliant 1/2 hour replacement show is forced to sit on the bench if they do try?
I certainly am not burning candles so the show is permanently canceled, but as you suggest, I won't watch it anymore should it return. There have been very few shows that have been able to survive once a major cast member leave (in this case it would be more than one). Most shows become shells of their former selves once that happens.

I don't see how you can have Scrubs without the person who has been it's soul and literally - voice - for its entire run. You just can't. If it comes back it will be one and out. Count on it.

And man do I HATE the new interns...
Old 05-07-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
And man do I HATE the new interns...
Even Sunny Day? Even the Janitor er I mean Tommy likes Sunny Day.
Old 05-07-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordwow View Post
"I didn't kill her"
Dr. Mickhead. Also there was the former chief surgeon Doctor Whenn and Cornel Doctor and Doctor Beardface.

Disagree. JD was most certainly close with Ben in his own way and certainly taught him a lot.

Thumbs up to ABC for the best "promo vs broadcast" switch!

For those who have yet to enjoy this episode:
Spoiler:

The promo last night showed Kim doing the walk across the hall. In the actual finale, it was TCW/Drama Queen (Amy Smart)!
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
I was disappointed not to see Tara Reid... I always thought she was JD's best girlfriend.
Yes and also maybe Julianaa Margulies or Heather Graham or Rick Schroder (Nurse Flowers) or Michael Weston (Pvt. Brian Dancer) or Heather Locklear (Julie Keaton) or Mandy Moore (Julie Quinn) or Keri Russell (Melody O'Harra) or Michael J. Fox (Dr. Kevin Casey)?

Michael McDonald (Mike Davis) was cool. Sucks that NBC forbade Masi Oka and Sarah Lancaster from being in it.
Old 05-07-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hooch: "Hooch is crazy!"

Scrubs did a fantastic job with the season/series finale. The walk down the hall with all the characters that were important to J.D. and the future fantasy was perfect. It hit me pretty hard and I'm really going to miss Scrubs. If it does come back for a ninth season I will be watching, but it won't be the same. Scrubs has one of the best ensemble casts in the history of television if not the best ever and it will be a different show if it comes back for another season.

I'd love to get a copy of that pleather bound book of Dr. Cox Rants.

Thanks for eight seasons of outstanding comedy!

The Scrubs DVDs will always be watched over and over again.
Old 05-07-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just rewatched it on Hulu... it was great! I need to watch it again.
Huh? Not on Hulu this season. http://abc.go.com
Old 05-07-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu finally picked up ABC, so Scrubs and Lost and stuff like that are now starting to show up on the site...although they link to the abc.com player for the time being, but it's a start.
Old 05-07-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh the irony of catching a show for the first time on its possible series finale. I only caught the 5/6 show, but thought it was really solid and loved the balance of comedy and drama. I like Braff in most of the stuff he has done and this seems no different. So, just had a few questions, did the series always have that good comedy/drama balance? I know that finales in general usually raise the stakes, but if I check out this series on dvd are there any seasons that stand out or good to just start from the beginning?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.