You're shaking my confidence daily
Whoa, Cecilia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home
Old 05-05-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Right Place Right Time" -- 05/04/09

Ausiello:

Just got off the phone with [...]executive producer Carter Bays!

Is Stella the mother?
CARTER BAYS: I won't say whether she's the mother or not, [but] we were definitely very careful in the wording of the narration. Obviously, we're not going to say, 'Okay, here she is! Show's over."

Was it an intentional fake-out?
BAYS: Nothing's a fake-out on this show. We established very early on that this is a very windy, twisty story, and the message of the show is there's a ridiculous series of events that has to happen before this guy meets the woman he marries... I will say this about the next two episodes: Everything will be made clear and it will move the ball forward.

You certainly got people talking.
BAYS: We freaked out a ton of people. We've never really kept a big secret from the audience. And what secrets we do have we usually tell people and there are usually spoilers floating around. And this kind of felt like, "Let's try and do something that takes everyone by surprise and really blow people's minds." And I think we did it.

What kind of reaction have you been getting?
BAYS: It seems to be split 50/50; some people loved it but a lot of people really hated it. And I certainly don't want to tell you that I like it when people hate my show, but knowing where the next two episodes go, I feel like those are both legitimate reactions and both what we were going for.

Does the yellow umbrella belong to Stella?
BAYS: I can't say one way or the other.

Can you give me a preview of next week's episode?
BAYS: We'll reveal why Ted running into her again is such huge moment. He already ran into her once before and didn’t do anything, but this one has more meaning and we'll find out why next week.

Is it your plan to hold off on definitively revealing who the mother is until the final episode of the series?
BAYS: That's always been the plan, but obviously we have a lot of options at our fingertips.
Old 05-05-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This episode was just so bad. I ended up fast forwarding to the end after watching only the first 10 minutes... then I see the return of Stella whom I do not care for and if she is the mother I just have to shake my head in disgust.
Old 05-05-09, 06:11 PM

I was almost on the floor when I realized what the Cecilla chart was. It was pure genius.
Old 05-06-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

(Just got around to watching last night)

Originally Posted by hahn
Why isn't Stella the mother? I thought he was telling his kids that's how he bumped into their mother - right place, right time.
well, that's pretty easily explained. There's already been a whole storyline about Stella. Unless somehow they are able to convince us that the kids do not know their own mother's name is Stella, she can't be the mother.

Of course, They could always pull off a "Definitely, maybe" twist where Ted is using a fictional name to obfuscate the story. Also worth noting is the fact that while the others are referred to as "Uncle Marshall", etc., There hasn't been a mention of Stella being part of the groups future in any way.

So, could she be? Possibly, but I think it would be cheap and hope the answer is no, even though I like Chalke.

-jason
Old 05-06-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah, i'm of the thinking that bumping into Stella somehow leads to him meeting the mother. He never told the kids "if i hadn't done this, i wouldn't have met your mother." He said things like, "you might never have been born."

also, that cecilia chart reminded me of the email/sites going around for some time - rap songs represented by charts and graphs.

http://www.jamphat.com/rap/
Old 05-06-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I have to go back and check but I believe in the episode where Ted turns 30 it's revealed that Barney is also 30. I can't be sure of that but I am pretty sure he isn't more than 1 year older than anyone in the group and the rest of them are just hitting 30.
This week, Lifetime reran the season two episode "Columns"

In it, Barney said he was 31.

Since it aired in January 2007, nearly 2.5 years ago, I'd say he's between 33 and 34.
Old 05-06-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was an episode last season called "No Tomorrow". In it, Ted and Barney went out to the bar to celebrate St. Patty's day.

Ted had said that the mother was there. The yellow umbrella made an appearance. It was brought by the mother and Ted picked it up and took it home when he went looking for his lost phone the next day.

I always assumed the mother was a gal he bumped into. Ted said he was sorry and she said it was o.k. and they kept going their own way. It always seemed like the show was making a point of that brief encounter since it seemed out of place.

Check your dvd and let me know what you think. 13:45 of the episode.

End of the episode lists nicole muirbrook-wagner as 'woman'.

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 05-06-09 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
There was an episode last season called "No Tomorrow". In it, Ted and Barney went out to the bar to celebrate St. Patty's day.

Ted had said that the mother was there. The yellow umbrella made an appearance. It was brought by the mother and Ted picked it up and took it home when he went looking for his lost phone the next day.

I always assumed the mother was a gal he bumped into. Ted said he was sorry and she said it was o.k. and they kept going their own way. It always seemed like the show was making a point of that brief encounter since it seemed out of place.

Check your dvd and let me know what you think. 13:45 of the episode.

End of the episode lists nicole muirbrook-wagner as 'woman'.
I actually addressed that when that episode first aired. Either they have a bad continuity editor (which we know they don't) or the "bump into" girl is not the same as the one in the line.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/8573679-post30.html

-jason
Old 05-07-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^Yeah I agree. In the beginning of the episode Ted mentioned how the mother was there that night. I think the show just wanted to throw us off a bit and let us think that she was the mother. The writers knew that fans of the show would see it as a bit out of place. Of course that doesn't mean that she isn't the mother, because the yellow umbrella right now is in Ted's possession so the yellow umbrella he gets at the club may not be the same yellow umbrella that the mother has.
Old 05-07-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show almost had to leave it vague of who was under the umbrella since they can't really pinpoint someone 2 years prior to writing the character into the show. Casting would be a nightmare.

I can just see the meeting: "We want you to make a brief cameo but leave your schedule open two years from now in case our show lasts that long and we can finally bring you back to play the role."

If the gal is available when they need her then fine, they can flashback to the episode. If not, they just make it someone different under the umbrella that Ted didn't run into that night.

I'm doubting it is Stella. He's already met her, so this would have been "How I met your mother, almost married her but broke up with her because she got back with her former husband, but then remet her on a street corner" or "How I Remet Your Mother" for short.

The way the episode was going, I'm guessing because Stella is there, he meets the mother. Whatever delay was caused by running into Stella somehow leads to him meeting the mother. Just like the bagel shop, magazine stand, $1 homeless guy, etc.
Old 05-07-09, 12:15 PM

I was wondering: Does Ted know about Robin and Barney sleeping together?

If he didn't, he did look at Barney's list of 199 names.
Old 05-07-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^He knows. He found out towards the end of season 3.

I can only imagine how Robin felt seeing her name among 199 other women.
Old 05-07-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, too, was surprised that they didn't play up Robin on the list.
Old 05-07-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
I, too, was surprised that they didn't play up Robin on the list.
Yeah, when she was going over the list, I expected her to say "Hey you forgot to list me!"
Old 05-08-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah, i thought that would have been better than having him list a number twice. like have him leave her off for some "noble" reason. Then she notices she's not on there.