DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What Cable Channels have you stopped watching in the past 5 years? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/554361-what-cable-channels-have-you-stopped-watching-past-5-years.html)

lordwow 05-03-09 08:42 AM

Re: What Cable Channels have you stopped watching in the past 5 years?

"TruTV" (Court) after it stopped showing Forensic Files so often and started showing... terrible so often.

JMLEWIS1 05-03-09 10:56 AM

comedy central
game show network
court tv
hbo

TVFanatic 05-03-09 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight (Post 9422540)
AMC (except for Mad Men)- it's not just the commercials, it's the fact that they stopped showing interesting movies and have relegated themselves to newer fare (most of which couldn't be considered "classic").
A&E-remember when that stood for Arts & Entertainment
BBC America-not sure why. For a while I was enjoying the British soaps (Footballer's Wives, Bad Girls) but nothing has come along that has caught my fancy since. Still, wish they would broadcast in HD, that would get me back into the fold.

What type of Movies or programming does AMC show now? Don't tell me they are like TV LAND

bunnydojo 05-03-09 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TVFanatic (Post 9422793)
What type of Movies or programming does AMC show now? Don't tell me they are like TV LAND

If I'm not mistaken, they'll sometimes throw strange choices like The Searchers and Caddyshack in between their regular showings of classics like Miss Congeniality 2 and View From The Top. What's worse than the selection, though, is the amount of commercials... Right now they've got a 1:42 movie (which has assumedly been edited and had ts credits truncated) filling out 2:15.

FX
G4
A&E
TLC
VH1
TBS
MTV
AMC
Spike
Bravo
ESPN2
TV Land
UPN/WB/CW
ESPN Classic
Nick At Night
Disney Channel
Sci-Fi (except Lost repeats)
Cartoon Network / Adult Swim
The Family Channel / Fox Family / ABC Family
The History Channel - Whenever I turn it on, it's always shows about gangs, drugs, mobsters, aliens, haunted houses or lumberjacks. Where's the endless repetition of Mayans and Hitler I used to love? :)

Now that I think about it, I only watch about 6 channels, and there's still too much on most nights. :)

TVFanatic 05-03-09 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bunnydojo (Post 9422834)
If I'm not mistaken, they'll sometimes throw strange choices like The Searchers and Caddyshack in between their regular showings of classics like Miss Congeniality 2 and View From The Top. What's worse than the selection, though, is the amount of commercials... Right now they've got a 1:42 movie (which has assumedly been edited and had ts credits truncated) filling out 2:15.

FX
G4
A&E
TLC
VH1
TBS
MTV
AMC
Spike
Bravo
ESPN2
TV Land
UPN/WB/CW
ESPN Classic
Nick At Night
Disney Channel
Sci-Fi (except Lost repeats)
Cartoon Network / Adult Swim
The Family Channel / Fox Family / ABC Family
The History Channel - Whenever I turn it on, it's always shows about gangs, drugs, mobsters, aliens, haunted houses or lumberjacks. Where's the endless repetition of Mayans and Hitler I used to love? :)

Now that I think about it, I only watch about 6 channels, and there's still too much on most nights. :)

Wasn't there a time when AMC only showed black and white movies?

Rockmjd23 05-03-09 04:12 PM

Yeah my mother used to watch AMC every day because it showed stuff from the 30's - 50's. Now, Jaws 3D is an American Classic, apparently.

TVFanatic 05-03-09 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9423003)
Yeah my mother used to watch AMC every day because it showed stuff from the 30's - 50's. Now, Jaws 3D is an American Classic, apparently.

So basically all the Cable networks are copying each other by providing NEWER programming

dino88 05-03-09 04:34 PM

AMC is home to Breaking Bad, arguably the best show on television right now. So I can let anything else they air slide if they continue to air this, along with Mad Men.

MTV...jumped ship, same as everyone else. Although I do DVR a show on VH1...Free Radio (you guys have to watch this show if you haven't seen/heard of it, it's funny as shit).

E...After Howard Stern left I stopped watching and only recently came back to the channel when I started taping The Soup. Other than that show on my dvr I never turn on the channel.

USA/TNT...I know I used to watch these channels a lot in high school, now I'm not even sure if they still exist.

Achtung 05-03-09 04:35 PM

MTV hasn't shown regular music videos in over 10 years at this point. Not sure why so many here seem to have just realized this lately.

VH1 used to at least have music-related programming like Behind the Music, Legends, Pop-Up Video, but those went away about 3-4 years ago and were replaced by that "Celebreality" crap.

I still hate Comcrap for killing TechTV.

Agreed with whoever above said that BBC America needs to get with the HD. Same for Fox Soccer Channel.

DJariya 05-03-09 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9423039)
USA/TNT...I know I used to watch these channels a lot in high school, now I'm not even sure if they still exist.

USA is actually one of the better basic cable channels right now with Burn Notice, In Plain Sight and Psych.

Same with TNT they have The Closer, Saving Grace, Leverage and a few more new series this summer.

(I assume you have never heard of or watched any of these?) I would at least try Leverage season 2 this summer on TNT....It's a funny and addictive series.

I'm a big fan of both of those channels along with FX. Hell any channel that actually spends money on original scripted programming gets a thumbs up in my book.

dino88 05-03-09 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9423043)
USA is actually one of the better basic cable channels right now with Burn Notice, In Plain Sight and Psych.

Same with TNT they have The Closer, Saving Grace, Leverage and a few more new series this summer.

(I assume you have never heard of or watched any of these?) I would at least try Leverage season 2 this summer on TNT....It's a funny and addictive series.

I'm a big fan of both of those channels along with FX. Hell any channel that actually spends money on original scripted programming gets a thumbs up in my book.

I guess that explains why I've heard of most of those show but have never seen them. Even with FX I caught onto their original programming late. I watched The Shield seasons 1-4/5 on dvd before I started watching it live. That's when I found Damages, Sons of Anarchy, Nip/Tuck, It's Always Sunny (might be missing something).

Maybe it's time to find USA/TNT again.

NoDAK 05-03-09 08:56 PM

The ones that come to mind are...
MTV/BET/VH1
BRAVO
BBC America
SciFi
GSN
WGN

edit to add: G4TV. (I miss TechTV :()
Although, every once in a while I might stumble into the middle of an ep of Code Monkeys and watch it.

TVFanatic 05-03-09 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by NoDAK (Post 9423330)
The ones that come to mind are...
MTV/BET/VH1
BRAVO
BBC America
SciFi
GSN
WGN

How has WGN changed since 1997? That's the last time I had the channel when I was in college.

NoDAK 05-03-09 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9421807)
TLC - Haven't watched since it became the midget channel or whatever it is now. I used to like the older documentaries.

It seems like every time I surf thru, I'm seeing another "documentary" about family life with 10-20 children.

edit:

Originally Posted by TVFanatic (Post 9423335)
How has WGN changed since 1997? That's the last time I had the channel when I was in college.

Much like TBS, WGN was the only channel where I could find a few orphaned shows that were either old favorites of mine or recommended series that I'd unfortunately missed when they first aired. I stopped watching about 4-6 years ago. Gave them another go when I heard about that "Sword of Truth" series, which was really, really horrible.

Travis McClain 05-03-09 09:57 PM

Five cable channels I don't watch anymore? I'm pretty much down to USA, Cartoon Network and baseball. That's it. And outside of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I can't name anything in the last few years that CN has developed that I found interesting--and that extends to the [adult swim] lineup.

I earned my degree in history, and I'm disappointed that even the History Channel has lost my interest. It seems every time I surf over there, it's either something about UFO's or a reality show about an occupation that doesn't interest me. What happened to specials about presidents and wars?

Rockmjd23 05-03-09 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by NoDAK (Post 9423344)
It seems like every time I surf thru, I'm seeing another "documentary" about family life with 10-20 children.

Yeah that too. It's the midget and vagina clown car channel.

Troy Stiffler 05-03-09 10:44 PM

I dropped cable, too. Caught myself watching wayyyy too much TV over the past few years. And wayyyy too much stuff that I just felt guilty about afterwards (I mean, how many times can a 25 yr/old watch Fresh Prince reruns and the same damn SNL's and standup specials and junk). Dropped it last Early Fall and haven't really missed it. I just 'Hulu'...

The Office
30 Rock
Maybe a few Colbert or Daily Shows per week.
Family Guy
Scrubs (on ABC.Com)

Other than that, I'm all out of TV. I kind of miss Breaking Bad. I really want to sit down and watch some online episodes when I get a chance.

Rex Fenestrarum 05-04-09 03:37 AM

MTV - Although to be fair, I stopped watching that channel when they started showing The Real World and Road Rules, and that's almost 20 years ago.

BBC America - I hate that they cut their shows to fit into one hour US timeslots... plus thanks to the magic of the Internet, I can watch a show a couple of hours after it airs, not five years later.

Bravo - It's turned into the "Gay Channel". Which is fine if that's what the people in charge want to do, but there's just nothing there that interests me... except Flipping Out, which my GF turned me on to.

E! - Except for The Soup.

National Geographic - I still watch this on occasion, but it seems like every time I'm bored and flip over to see what's on, it's that damn Dog Whisperer show.

TLC - For all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. It seems like The Science Channel is the only one of those channels that actually shows interesting stuff these days.

jonw9 05-04-09 09:31 AM

It is sad, I think I probably only watch 1 show a week from the assorted cable channels I have.

I will 17th the MTV/VH1 channel
E! I only DVR "the soup"
CN only for South Park
HBO mostly the saturday movie "premier"
I don't watch any of the "news" networks.
FX only for Nip/Tuck
The Discovery/Learning/History/Nat. Geo. channels aren't any good any more
Basically stopped watching Food about a year ago. Now I only catch Diners, Drive-in & Dives.

I wish I could al-la-cart only the shows I want.

JuryDuty 05-04-09 10:46 AM

I've stopped watching all of them. As cable rates have risen, we decided to drop extended cable and just stick with basic (about 20 channels, most local). I can't say we miss much of anything, and we have more time on our hands. I'm very pleased and don't plan to go back to cable any time soon.

Charlie Goose 05-04-09 11:20 AM

I used to watch GSN all the time, but it seems that whenever I tune in now, it's showing Family Feud or the insipid Catch 21.

mike1977 06-23-09 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 9421161)
I stopped watching Comedy Central for anything other than the Daily Show; they used to have great original programming, I'm with Busey, American Body Shop, Halfway House, etc but they would always cancel them after a season.

Discovery was something I'd watch alot of, for the Monster shows and Mythbusters but it's a bit too formulaic so I weened off of it. And ESPN after the '03 and '04 baseball seasons became such a Red Sox/Yankees reporting network, it wasn't entertainment for me.

I think cable tv was really great in the 90's; E! had Kinnear and Henson for Talk Soup, Court TV was simply televised court cases with very good analysis, MTV/VH1 still had those "I love the 80's" weekend video marathons, Sportscenter actually reported on the game highlights and not on making news, and Sci-Fi, which I still watch, had fewer crap movies and more older stuff like War of the Worlds the Series.

Yeah, back then it was less money and you got more. Today, it is pay more and get less! Hour after hour after hour of the same freaking show on one channel all day long, just about every single freaking day. Like...USA should be called the Law and Order channel, and Spike should be called the CSI channel (I know they actually show different things, it's just that when I turn to those channels, 99% of the time, that is what is on!). Nothing wrong with marathons and those shows, but they should be done sparingly, and get variety back, a different show shown each hour on a channel for its regular schedule (with the marathons done sparingly). There's older stuff that can be brought back from hiatus without having the same show shown more than twice a day.

Zwerchfell 06-23-09 03:37 AM

stopped watching channels that are not HD a while ago, that's why I still haven't seen BSG.

I also miss TechTV :(

mike1977 06-23-09 04:02 AM

Yeah I miss Techtv too, and the scifi channel.

Jason 06-23-09 04:37 PM

The Learning Channel - stopped even checking it when it became reality central.

VH1 - ditto. Thankfully, VH1 classic has not yet been tainted.

CNN Headline News - used to be a quick recap you could catch anytime. Nancy Grace and crew pretty much killed that.

G4 - well, ZDTV/TechTV anyhow. I never watched a thing on there until I stumbled across Ninja Warrior. Other than that, it's crap.

Sadly, the History Channel will probably be next. Reality shows, paranormal bullshit, and dirt being portrayed as a "modern marvel" have pretty much wiped this channel out for me. History International is much better (for now).