TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Harper's Island -- Episode 4 -- "Bang" -- 5/02/09

Old 05-01-09, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harper's Island -- Episode 4 -- "Bang" -- 5/02/09

Harper's Island

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Henry and the groomsmen go fishing and discover something shocking while Trish and her bridesmaids hang out with a psychic.

Death Chart:

Spoiler:

Ben
Uncle Marty
Reverend Fain
Lucy (the BBQ'd Bridesman)
Kelly
Hunter

Hope I'm not breaking rules or anything, using djariya's pics and all but this episode (and remainder of the series will continue it seems) aired on Thursday night @ 10PM on Global in Canada.
Old 05-01-09, 09:45 AM

Re: Harper's Island -- Episode 4 -- "Bang" -- 5/02/09

Now on to my thoughts about the episode:

Spoiler:

Decent episode with only one death if I recall correctly, Joel accidentally shot himself when dropping the gun found near Hunter's body as Malcolm scared him off. Kind of a stupid death but really given the whole situation with the money the guys found around Hunter's body it was pretty obvious something was going to happen. I'm happy it wasn't the typical scenario where the person needing the money (Malcolm) kills the one carrying it. But who know if Malcolm's intentions were to kill Joel or simply spy on him and see where he'd hide the money.

I like that Trish found out her brother in law, Richard I believe, and her stepmother Katherine were having the affair. Not dragging this out created options for them and the odd conversation between Richard and Henry. Also, the ending was interesting as I didn't expect Trish to drown, it was obvious something was going to happen. Now is Richard's intervention to save her life an actual message to Henry and Trish to keep quiet about his affair?

I didn't care much for the whole psychic thing, very cliché to have the woman freak out when touching Abby's necklace and the warning she gave her to leave the island.

I wonder how Malcolm will explain Joel's death, and how the guys will try to find the cash now stolen by Malcolm. I also wonder how long it'll take until the folks start founding all those dead bodies.

Anyone thinks this is going to turn up like Clue and there's gonna be multiple killers? It seems to me that having a single killer isn't necessary the only alternative.
Old 05-01-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We didn't get the episode. It's airing Sat. night.
Old 05-01-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is lame. i stayed up last night to check this out and saw that they changed the remaining episodes to saturday at 9.
Old 05-01-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's cool Luds. Surprised that Canada is still getting them on Thursday nights.

Anyways, I can't wait for that whore Trish to meet the grim reaper soon.
Old 05-01-09, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
That's cool Luds. Surprised that Canada is still getting them on Thursday nights.

Anyways, I can't wait for that whore Trish to meet the grim reaper soon.
Haha! Isn't it a failure on the writer's part to make the Bride into such a tramp, surely even the target demographic for this show would prefer her not to question her love for her future husband and to tell the ex to F off? Or at what age is it not just about who is hotter, assuming we're supposed to believe or think that the ex is hotter?
Old 05-01-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they are all too anoying to me. it could only be outdone if they were in a summer camp that way it would be pure 80s cheese. How old are all this people supposed to be? they all act like frat boys or college freshman and its supposed to be a wedding.
Old 05-01-09, 03:51 PM

I can't even begin to express how much it is starting to annoy me that no one is missing/noticed the missing bridesmaid. I mean MAYBE I can understand her going unnoticed for a day or two, but at the bachelorette party?? *gaah!!* lol
Old 05-01-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes last night.

It isn't horrible, but it definately has issues.

I agree with the previous poster about the characters acting like it is one big frat party.

I guess my biggest issue so far is the apparant lack of intrest in the growing number of MISSING people. Seems to me that the character that got offed at the end of Ep. 1 should be missed by now no? They better start to miss and wonder about the missing people soon.

I do like the concept of the show. Having a set limited number of episodes for a mystery type show is something that I hope does catch on.
Old 05-01-09, 11:36 PM

The missing dead do bug me but if we think about it for a second, only one missing really makes no sense.

- Ben was killed when the boat left, no one believes he made it to the boat
- Uncle Marty's killer called Henry telling him he found a hot chick, so he won't be missed for a few days
- The reverend could be missing for a few days, people don't go to church every day
- The Bridesmaid makes no sense. Very very stupid that no one even mentioned her disappearance.
- Kelly was found hung
- Hunter just died in the 3rd episode
Old 05-04-09, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought this episode was flat out terrible compared to the 1st three episodes.

The death itself was really really lame with Joel going out in the forrest to hide the money and then accidently shooting himself.

The fat guy Malcolm is a fucking moron. I actually think all the guys including Henry were fucking morons when they discovered the boat with Hunter's body and didn't even bother reporting it.....and the Malcolm casually shoots a hole in the bottom of the boat and lets it sink. I thought that whole subplot with the guys figuring out what to do with the money was so lame.

I think it's getting to the point of being ludicrous that none of the bridesmaides and Trish have noticed that Kelly has been missing for a few days. I just couldn't believe that they had 2 more get togethers and noone even questioned her whereabouts.

Same goes with Marty. Hard to believe that Henry isn't even concerned that Marty has been missing for a few days now.
Old 05-04-09, 07:49 AM

I agree about the whole thing being stupid, sinking the boat may have been an accident but the whole thing was ridiculous. You really have to suspend any feeling that this series should make any sense to enjoy it.
Old 05-04-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Luds View Post
The missing dead do bug me but if we think about it for a second, only one missing really makes no sense.

- Uncle Marty's killer called Henry telling him he found a hot chick, so he won't be missed for a few days
But Henry seems pretty close with his uncle. I definately think that the uncle would be part of the bachelor party, no? Especially since he seemed like a guy who would like a good night out and stripper.
Old 05-04-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoursen View Post
But Henry seems pretty close with his uncle. I definately think that the uncle would be part of the bachelor party, no? Especially since he seemed like a guy who would like a good night out and stripper.
It was stated in the text that the uncle (actually the killer) sent Henry. He said he found a wild chick and said he'd be back in time for the wedding. The way they characterized the uncle from the beginning, it didn't seem at all out of character for him to do that. So him missing is understandable. The only one that doesn't make sense is the bridesmaid. They shouldn't even have killed her off.

I agree that the whole money subplot was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. I thought this was a very weak episode compared to the last two we had gotten. I also don't like how they're bringing a supernatural vibe into this. I think this show can really pick up once they kill off a main character, which is something I wouldn't expect until the 8th or so episode in.
Old 05-04-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with GOAT, the whole supernatural thing is lame, what the serial killer is back as a spirit in someone's possessed body? if it leads to this it will be the most disapointing thing ever. this should have been a pretty straight forward giallo where maybe the killer is either someone close/related to the real one or they got the wrong guy originally or a group was doing it and got 1 out of x many or something like that or even the damn priest because the island is wicked. it should be about the kills and the suspense but this last episode had none. the pool scene had me for a second as it seemed like one main character, the bride, would get it but failed to deliver. this is like Heroes, where the writers are too in love with their characters. I'll still watch because is on saturdays now and because it will have an ending.
Old 05-04-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
It was stated in the text that the uncle (actually the killer) sent Henry. He said he found a wild chick and said he'd be back in time for the wedding. The way they characterized the uncle from the beginning, it didn't seem at all out of character for him to do that. So him missing is understandable. The only one that doesn't make sense is the bridesmaid. They shouldn't even have killed her off.

I agree that the whole money subplot was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. I thought this was a very weak episode compared to the last two we had gotten. I also don't like how they're bringing a supernatural vibe into this. I think this show can really pick up once they kill off a main character, which is something I wouldn't expect until the 8th or so episode in.
Here's a unifying theory: they all assume the uncle is shacked up with and banging the missing bridesmaid.

Lets be honest, the the plot and the acting completely suck. The only thing this show has going for it is hot women. If they kill them all off, I'm out.

I'd suspect the evil little child, but I don't think she has the strength, unless she is channeling a demon or ghost or something.
Old 05-04-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
Here's a unifying theory: they all assume the uncle is shacked up with and banging the missing bridesmaid.

Lets be honest, the the plot and the acting completely suck. The only thing this show has going for it is hot women. If they kill them all off, I'm out.

I'd suspect the evil little child, but I don't think she has the strength, unless she is channeling a demon or ghost or something.
my money is on the sherrif, if not a woman for sure.
Old 05-04-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who else saw the death coming? I picked the 4 eyed guy to die as soon as he was on camera. He was hardly shown before (I don't know if he even had a line yet) and then there he was front and center at the beginning of the episode. Yep, he's next.

First episode I picked the sister of the bride to be the killer. No real reason other than she was one of the first on screen. Now I've just been trying to make it fit. It would make sense with the daughter having some knowledge of the deaths. We'll see...unless I get bored and forget to watch.

And is anyone else sick of Henry's cheesy ass smile? Every single shot of him has to either start or end with that smile. I'm guessing they just had the actors smile really big for the audition. "Hey, you can see all his teeth...you're hired"

Last edited by dino88; 05-04-09 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 03:33 PM

i wanna say something concerning trish drowning...

remember when the psychic told her that someone is going to betray

her but also be hear saviour..

it's possible that jimmy is that person

hmmmmmm....
Old 05-04-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the writers really blew an opportunity to shake the plot up with Trish drowning. I think the writers/producers must really have a hard on for Katie Cassidy or something.
Old 05-04-09, 03:43 PM

I think the writers really blew an opportunity to shake the plot up with Trish drowning. I think the writers/producers must really have a hard on for Katie Cassidy or something.
If the bride drowned this early, why would any of the wedding party stick around on the island to be killed later?
Old 05-04-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
If the bride drowned this early, why would any of the wedding party stick around on the island to be killed later?
I think the better way to set it up would be that Trish drowns and they somehow realize that there is a mass muderer out there. Many would leave the island but Henry, Abby, Trish's family and extended family would stick around. Leaving us with an interesting core group to figure out what happened to her and why while leaving enough people to peg off episode after episode.

I think something like that would work just not right now. We're only 4 episodes in with 9 to go so I don't think they'll even realize there is a killer out there for another few episodes.
Old 05-04-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the writers/producers must really have a hard on for Katie Cassidy or something.
They're not the only ones.
Old 05-05-09, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by moizzy16 View Post
i wanna say something concerning trish drowning...

remember when the psychic told her that someone is going to betray

her but also be hear saviour..

it's possible that jimmy is that person

hmmmmmm....
Good point.

--

I agree about killing a main character. I doubt that it would be Trish or Henry, I'm sure at least one of them if not both will make it out alive. I'm putting my money on Sully, or Trish's dad to be killed from the main cast.

Wouldn't it suck if the killer was Trish? Completely senseless. LOL.

It would be somewhat cliché if...
- The little girl was the killer, kinda lame
- Abby was the killer. She's about the only decent character
- Abby's dad was the killer, been done before.

Maybe it's Trish's sister who goes mad when she realized her husband was humping the stepmom. Or maybe the flirt or her Brit boyfriend.
Old 05-05-09, 09:24 AM
Cool New Member

I wonder when the "big storm so no one can leave the island" is coming - episode 8 or 9

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.