Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Casual Friday" -- 4/30/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Casual Friday" -- 4/30/09

Originally Posted by whoopdido
The opening with Kevin was absolutely hilarious.

Parts of the episode were funny, but as usual, everything with Michael just irritated me.

I don't know why the writers can't decide what they want to do with Michael. Some episodes he's just a bumbling idiot. In others he's a dysfunctional, downright crazy loser with no social skills whatsoever. In others he's a good natured guy that wants to please everybody and actually shows SOME common sense and deep down can be a decent guy and in others, like this episode, he's just an absolute dickhead.

For years, he's thought of the people in his office as his only real family and/or friends and he totally tried to screw them. Yeah, he did sort of repent at the end, but still...throughout the whole episode he was just a jerk to everybody except Ryan and Pam.

I think others have said it, but Michael being a jerk just doesn't do it for me. But, if the writers would just pick a personality for Michael and run with it, rather than going back and forth between fool, jerk, good guy, social misfit, etc I could probably just learn to like whatever personality they end up choosing.
You make a great point here. I haven't been able to put my finger on why I am at times vaguely dissatisfied with the show and Michael, even though I love it and him. You nailed it. I do think there should be some "play" in his character, but the pendulum swings a little too wildly in too many directions.
Old 04-30-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

dwights line about his sandwich being pony meat killed me.
Old 05-01-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First Deleted Scene:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/49fa879cfe09b3ac/4741e3c5156499a7/7e88a2d4/-cpid/574f69f8cbe930d7" id="W4727a250e66f972349fa879cfe09b3ac" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/49fa879cfe09b3ac/4741e3c5156499a7/7e88a2d4/-cpid/574f69f8cbe930d7" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>
Old 05-01-09, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

how has anyone not commented on Dwight using Ryan's coffee cup for the urine to write the secret message
Old 05-01-09, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
how has anyone not commented on Dwight using Ryan's coffee cup for the urine to write the secret message

yeah that was great.
Old 05-01-09, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strongly painted picture

Looked like Creed was wearing his outfit from when he was a cult leader.
Old 05-01-09, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm wondering why Toby thought only his outfit was "appropriate" when all but two or three people had offensive (to other co-workers) outfits.
Old 05-01-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this episode was pretty good, even though I was prepared for disappointment after last week's great conclusion.
Took a little bit too long to get rolling, but the "Kevin's chili" opener earned a few LOLs.
Business really picked up after Phyllis' comment about Michael hurting "the family".

One sidenote: is it just me, or did everyone look a little weird?
Like they were wearing too much makeup or something...
Old 05-01-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Pam and Phyllis wearing the same outfit was great. Phyllis can go from nice person to total bitch in no time at all.
From Boscov's no less. So Pennsylvania.
Old 05-01-09, 08:35 AM

Didn't like this episode that much. Was probably expecting better because of last week.

Micheal wasn't a jerk. Pam and Ryan deserved to keep those clients. Plain and simple. They earned that right.

At then end, when Micheal gave back the sale team clients, I was pissed. When Micheal left the company, Pam went with him. They other didn't.
Old 05-01-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still don't see how Michael wronged everybody, especially Dwight.

The company screwed with him. He went to NY and gave the company a chance to fix it, they didn't. He announced to the entire office his intent to start a new paper company. He personally asked every single one of them to come with him, and none of them did except for Pam. Did they NOT think that his paper company would go after their customers? hell, Dwight was even feeding him information at first.

They were just as disloyal to him as he was to them.
Old 05-01-09, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tcoursen

Agreed!
Old 05-01-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no problem with Michael's behavior here. I'm glad they didn't just gloss over the Michael Scott Paper Company story arc, and everyone's reactions here, while not entirely logical, do tie in to the events of the last few episodes. Michael was being loyal to those who came with him, then had to appease the rest of sales team to keep them at the company. It was an awkward transition back into Dunder Mifflin, as it should have been.
Old 05-01-09, 09:39 AM

The company screwed with him. He went to NY and gave the company a chance to fix it, they didn't. He announced to the entire office his intent to start a new paper company. He personally asked every single one of them to come with him, and none of them did except for Pam. Did they NOT think that his paper company would go after their customers? hell, Dwight was even feeding him information at first.

He used his Rolodex from Dunder Mifflin and bought information from Dwight... so any customers Michael stole... were not done on a very ethical basis.
Old 05-01-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
He used his Rolodex from Dunder Mifflin and bought information from Dwight... so any customers Michael stole... were not done on a very ethical basis.
But Dwight was just as unethical. So Dwight was OK selling his client info to Michael to steal, but NOW is mad that he doesn't get the customers he sold out back?

I don't think the Rolodex is all that unethical because Michael most likely knew the names of the top clients anyway.
Old 05-01-09, 09:49 AM

Don't truffle with me.
Old 05-01-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought this was one of the weaker episodes in awhile. While I appreciated that they focused on the issue of reintegrating Michael, Pam, and Ryan back into the DM group, it didn't quite build to as an interesting a resolution as I would have liked.

Also, the pace of the episode seemed quite frenetic, which always works to the show's disadvantage in my opinion. I think the show is much better when there is a slow building of the plot with a surprisingly gentle resolution of the "conflict." These episodes that move at a more breakneck pace (relatively speaking, for The Office) always seem forced and less Office-like to me.
Old 05-01-09, 11:29 AM

Based on the last episode, I thought Charles was sticking around ...

I guess he's going back to drug dealing in Baltimore.
Old 05-01-09, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by siddd5

I thought he went back to NY for his corporate job.
Old 05-01-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's from corporate. He was just in Scranton acting as interim manager.
Old 05-01-09, 01:22 PM

he is, but he doesnt work at the Scranton branch.
Old 05-01-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
Didn't like this episode that much. Was probably expecting better because of last week.

Micheal wasn't a jerk. Pam and Ryan deserved to keep those clients. Plain and simple. They earned that right.

At then end, when Micheal gave back the sale team clients, I was pissed. When Micheal left the company, Pam went with him. They other didn't.
Earned those clients how? All they (The Michael Scott Paper Company) did was steal clients from Dunder Miflin by offering their clients a price so low that no company could match. In fact it was so low that the MSPC couldn't even stay in business. The customers couldn't care less about that though. It's not their fault that Dunder Miflin simply couldn't match the ridiculous price that Michael gave them. Obviously they just went with whoever gave them the lowest price. Pam and Ryan did nothing to earn their clients. They simply stole them from a "real" company.
Old 05-01-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They weren't disloyal. They were just realistic. They knew Michael would fail. Why would they leave a good job and work for somebody they know to be an idiot and risk losing everything? Even Pam wised up at one point and lamented the fact that she gave up a good job.
Old 05-01-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indulging your premise for a bit, if you were one of the sales team, would you really have gone with your ex-boss who you've known all this time is really stupid and whose last act before declaring that he was going to start a new paper company was crawling on the floor to avoid getting seen by the new boss. You're really gonna fault the sales team for not following THAT? Really? Only Pam was stupid enough to do it. I actually hate what they've done with her character. She used to be the plain, charming girl that had the potential to be hot, instead they turned her into someone who's just a few rungs below Michael in the stupidity ladder. Where did her desire to become a salesperson even come from? If they would've made her marketing or advertising or something to do with her art, it would've made more sense for that character.
Old 05-01-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Great episode. The opening with Kevin rolling around in the chili was an excellent start. And then the scene with Meredith's exposure had me cracking up. Damn good stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.