Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/30/09

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/30/09

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Aside from the Exile alliance, which ended up being a whole lot of TV time for nothing, I'm not sure what "shady moves" Brendan and Sierra could even attempt. Pre-merge Coach, Debbie, and Tyson were alligned, and Erinn was kinda persona non grata.

Besides, I think the whole eliminate Brendan move came about because Tyson (rightly so) viewed him as a threat, and, more importantly, Ben NEVER got over Jerry calling Brendan the better leader. From what we've seen, Brendan seems like one of the nicest guys in the world. And he chose to make his primarily alliance partner Sierra. I think that speaks a little to her character.
I think that exile alliance may have set everyone out to think Brendan and Sierra were a threat.

But really I think it has more to do with that she just annoyed everyone. I'm guessing that her personality just rubbed everyone the wrong way. We may think everyone was piling it on but realistically they're the ones that had to deal with her everyday for 30 something days. They probably all just couldn't stand her anymore and the game has a way of bringing it all out. Especially when you consider the only reason any of those people were cast was because they have especially strong personalities.
Old 05-02-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone noticed the nervous habit Taj has of biting her lip funny when she is thinking or others are aruguing?
Old 05-02-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I think that exile alliance may have set everyone out to think Brendan and Sierra were a threat.

But really I think it has more to do with that she just annoyed everyone. I'm guessing that her personality just rubbed everyone the wrong way. We may think everyone was piling it on but realistically they're the ones that had to deal with her everyday for 30 something days. They probably all just couldn't stand her anymore and the game has a way of bringing it all out. Especially when you consider the only reason any of those people were cast was because they have especially strong personalities.
Possibly, but Tyson was just kind of guessing on that Exile Alliance thing (Brendan screwed up by picking Stephen b/c they had a tribe agreement to keep picking Taj). They only really found out about it for sure when they went shady themselves and aligned with JT and Stephen.

And I still think there is definitely a piling on aspect. If someone is trash talking someone else you either take part in it or risk alienating the person(s) you're talking to. While we don't see Survivor live feeds, so I can't say for certain that is the case with Sierra, we do see BB live feeds and can attest to the fact that that happens. Look what happened a few summers back to poor Jen Johnson on BB8. Her biggest sin was that she was a little self-absorbed, and she spent weeks in that house being vilified.

I can see Sierra being a little self-absorbed, but she never struck me as a bad person. She didn't deserve what she got. Especially the condescension from the likes of Debbie and Ben.
Old 05-02-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
My take is this: 8 Survivors can't be wrong. They're the ones that spent all that time with Sierra and NONE of them like her. And going on your point that this may have started with the first challenge where she was sick: Well Stephen and JT certainly don't like her. Stephen called her a bitch last week and didn't include her in on the Tyson blindside. They also weren't on the same team when she was sick and got helicoptered to camp.

I fully believe that editing did her all the justice in the world. From what I can tell, she and Brendon probably tried to make a ton of shady moves. Since they never panned out they never found the need to show it. Hence leading to all the dislike for her. Or she was just flat out annoying and no one wanted to be around her. I think this is exactly what happened with Sugar (both models) last season (and to a lesser degree, Amanda from her seasons).

I do believe there is a good reason to give Sierra a good edit and that's because they wanted the audience to "love to hate" Coach. I think while Coach has come off as a complete D-bag in the game I think he's been entirely harmless. All the moves he was involved in came from his alliance with Tyson. He never did great in immunities and the only thing he tried to pull after the merge was the Sierra move from this episode. I just think that no one takes him seriously.

As for Probst, he writes those blogs as if he's watching the show with us. This way he doesn't give away too much, so while he may know something he doesn't want to reveal anything.
I'm done defending Sierra. The only thing all say is that I bet the reunion show proves you mostly wrong and the reasons she's disliked aren't because of shady moves, but the more subjective things like her being "annoying" and the 23 yr kind of immature model who probably didn't fit in during many conversations. I still believe her biggests faults are more perceived than real. I mean, the majority of them voted her most likely to stab someone in the back or something. Delusional after some of those blindsides (Hello JT and Stephen!).

She does this week's Survivor commentary and she comes across very well. She was actually nice and reasonable about how she spoke of others too...including Debbie. Clearly she was not fond of coach, but she didn't rag on him or whine about being picked on. She did totally rip Erinn every chance that she got. Which only made me more confused about Erinn's vote.

Finally, sure Probst plays with us all in his blog and teases us the same way the editing does. Last week's blog even had me thinking Sierra might make it for a while...he knew what he was doing. But I do think all his love for Coach from early on was a dead give away that he'd be around for a long time. You can't be that high on someone's entertainment value and have that person go out even near the middle of the show.
Old 05-02-09, 08:06 PM

Taj is going to have everyone crying next week.

Taj and her son

Taj performing in "The Vagina Monologues" in 2008

Taj with SWV
Old 05-02-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I'm done defending Sierra. The only thing all say is that I bet the reunion show proves you mostly wrong and the reasons she's disliked aren't because of shady moves, but the more subjective things like her being "annoying" and the 23 yr kind of immature model who probably didn't fit in during many conversations. I still believe her biggests faults are more perceived than real. I mean, the majority of them voted her most likely to stab someone in the back or something. Delusional after some of those blindsides (Hello JT and Stephen!).

She does this week's Survivor commentary and she comes across very well. She was actually nice and reasonable about how she spoke of others too...including Debbie. Clearly she was not fond of coach, but she didn't rag on him or whine about being picked on. She did totally rip Erinn every chance that she got. Which only made me more confused about Erinn's vote.

Finally, sure Probst plays with us all in his blog and teases us the same way the editing does. Last week's blog even had me thinking Sierra might make it for a while...he knew what he was doing. But I do think all his love for Coach from early on was a dead give away that he'd be around for a long time. You can't be that high on someone's entertainment value and have that person go out even near the middle of the show.
Actually I'm going to take back the shady moves aspect of my post. I don't think that is the reason either. I think the reason is simply that they just didn't like her. And I'm not going to pretend that I know for 100% certainty that she did deserve all the backlash she got but when 8 people who have lived with you for 30 some days all hate you then there must be something wrong.

Trust me, I've watched all the same stuff you have and while she does seem like a completely normal girl, I still have only seen her on TV and on interviews. I don't know her. They do.
Old 05-03-09, 03:28 PM
Banned

^ ^ ^

Maybe we're all wrong & the rest of the cast just couldn't stand the zebra-striped dress.

Sugar's castmates probably hated her kneesocks.

Doesn't take much to get on people's ****list on Survivor.
Old 05-03-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched the Ponderosa videos, and while I know that Jeff doesn't ever address the jury beyond introducing them, I wonder if what if any reaction there will be to Brendan, Tyson, and Sierra (not a voting spoiler)

Spoiler:
all showing up with feathers in their hair to make fun of Ben. Of course, being so delusional he'll probably think it's a sign of solidarity.
Old 05-03-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Does anyone see the resemblance of Coach with Gul Dukat? I know he is a fictional character but he has the same arrogance, same smug attitude, and same bad guy good guy thing going for him.

He even looks similar.

Old 05-03-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right, he'd be Gul Dukoach on Star Trek.
Old 05-03-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched the Ponderosa videos, and while I know that Jeff doesn't ever address the jury beyond introducing them, I wonder if what if any reaction there will be to Brendan, Tyson, and Sierra (not a voting spoiler)

Spoiler:
all showing up with feathers in their hair to make fun of Ben. Of course, being so delusional he'll probably think it's a sign of solidarity.

They should really have a 30 minute Pondersa show every week. That was better than the actual Survivor show. I was so bummed when it was over. They eat better than I do at home! That pizza looked amazing!

Tyson IS funny but he just never turns it off and it ends up being annoying. Sorry, dude, you're not getting your own tv show out this, stop acting for a minute when the cameras are on!!!

Brendan seems to be about the nicest guy ever and, boy, just from a few seconds of discussion, it gives you such insight into how much this show edits things out. I have been in this thread talking this and that about editing, but now I know better. Sierra only talked about one major game-related thing and only for a few seconds and it's literally huge information regarding something that happened and they gave us NO hint that it did. I was shocked to even hear it. Not sure we'd ever know without that Ponderosa video.

Never thought Sierra was all that hot. More like Colleen Haskell super cute from season 1. But she looked different at Ponderosa. Very nice! You could see that she talks a mile a minute and kind of like a kid and I bet that's where a lot of the annoyance with her started from. But she really seems like a very nice person. She was laughing and joking with the crew and not at all acting spoiled or anything. She's almost as good at talking about the show as Tyson is.
Old 05-04-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tyson is funny, but he's not that funny and he just ventures too far into mean sometimes. Sierra seemed to roll with it in one of her interviews, and said that he even apologized to her. It's just his way I guess.

When I watched last week it made me wonder what would have happened if Brendan and Tyson would have ever trusted each other. Tyson had viewed him as his rival for so long he seemed surprised how nice Brendan was.

Not that it matters, but I thought Sierra was really attractive from episode one, even though I wasn't crazy about the roman numeral tattoo on her arm.
Old 05-04-09, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just caught this ep online - holy Lord of the Flies, Batman! This season has gotten very ugly. I had been enjoying the first part of it with the exile alliance strategy, but other than the blindside last week I haven't been enjoying much since. I had actually intended to give Survivor up for the season because I found Tyson and Ben so insufferable, but then I popped into the episode thread last week to find out what happened and I read about the blindside, so I decided to give the show another chance. Now I don't know what I'll do.
Old 05-04-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

next week is my least favorite episode of each season. People bawling like babies over family members makes me wanna vomit.

Originally Posted by kitkat
I just caught this ep online - holy Lord of the Flies, Batman! This season has gotten very ugly. I had been enjoying the first part of it with the exile alliance strategy, but other than the blindside last week I haven't been enjoying much since. I had actually intended to give Survivor up for the season because I found Tyson and Ben so insufferable, but then I popped into the episode thread last week to find out what happened and I read about the blindside, so I decided to give the show another chance. Now I don't know what I'll do.
Tyson was the best part of the season. He was such a dick it was hilarious.

Last edited by sven; 05-04-09 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tyson is funny, but he's not that funny and he just ventures too far into mean sometimes. Sierra seemed to roll with it in one of her interviews, and said that he even apologized to her. It's just his way I guess.

When I watched last week it made me wonder what would have happened if Brendan and Tyson would have ever trusted each other. Tyson had viewed him as his rival for so long he seemed surprised how nice Brendan was.

Not that it matters, but I thought Sierra was really attractive from episode one, even though I wasn't crazy about the roman numeral tattoo on her arm.
Tyson would probably still be in the game if he'd have allied himself with Brendan instead of Coach.

Coach's blind trust of JT ended up dooming Tyson. Tyson should have known better, but was already in too tight with Coach to have done anything about it.

I think that Timbira might have stuck together and thought more rationally with Brendan and Tyson together.
Old 05-04-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure it matters, especially if you're married and all you have for the rest of your life is looking at what you can never have.

Never even noticed that tattoo.
Old 05-04-09, 11:11 AM
Banned

Coach's blind trust of JT ended up dooming Tyson. Tyson should have known better, but was already in too tight with Coach to have done anything about it.
Sadly, it's always the assistant coaches who get the axe first.
Old 05-04-09, 11:12 AM
Banned

Never even noticed that tattoo.
Especially when looking at that b&w glamour shot from post #33, eh, dolph?
Old 05-04-09, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by girlnextdoor
Has anyone noticed the nervous habit Taj has of biting her lip funny when she is thinking or others are aruguing?
That's her doing her Alicia Silverstone impression.

I agree that the "letters from home" episodes can be cloying. Sometimes we get a little insight into the personal lives of the cast (like, whose grandma is dying :wink, but it's usually a competition to see who can tear up the most. I imagine that the ones who aren't really emotional about such things feel the pressure to bond with the ones who get all broken up, even if it's not to appear like an insensitive jerk. Still, it is a bit much & serves as filler. Least favorite episode next to the "mid-season, deleted moments" show during March Madness.
Old 05-04-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious to see who Coach speaks to and how he reacts. I can't imagine a guy that ran away from an Amazonian tribe that tried to kill him can tear up very easily.