Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/30/09

Old 05-01-09, 11:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/30/09

Ha HA,

The Dragon Slayer won immunity. Oh man, he is so happy! I love it. Imagine how great a story this will become as it grows over the next 20 years.

Coach: ''And then, it was raining so hard that you literally could not see. Even Jeff said, 'It's raining so hard, I can't see.' But I dug deep and I used my ability to meditate while standing and that allowed me to see through the impenetrable rain. Something only Jedi masters can do.

''Then, I used my telepathic powers to guide the ball through a maze that was so difficult it had never been accomplished by anyone before. Even Jeff said so: 'This challenge is so difficult, no human being has ever accomplished it before!'
Old 05-01-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm really hoping Coach gets the axe next week, but it looks like he will be around until the end
Old 05-01-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad move on JT and Stephen's part of getting rid of Sierra instead of Debbie.
They knew she was telling the truth about Debbie and Coach plotting against them. She proved she was more trustworthy than them by not going along with them and telling JT and Stephen.

I can't stand Debbie. Last week when they all thought they were voting Sierra out she acted like such a big shot and then this week she was pratically begging Sierra to join her and coach. She would stab anyone in the back which it looks like coach will find out next week.
She is much more of a threat than Sierra.

I liked Sierra. I don't see what she did wrong either. I know a lot of people didn't like her in the beginning because of the 1st episode when they voted her and another survivor out and they got a ride to camp and the others had to walk for miles. That wasn't her fault.

Then coach got pissed at her for voting for him a few weeks back.

I would have kept her around as long as possible, even to the final 2 if possible because everyone hated her and would have never voted for her.

I'm rooting for JT. I too think Stephen is going to blindsie JT sooner or later.
Old 05-01-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
Ha HA,
Jeff is probably 100% right, although I doubt it will take 20 years for the story to morph into epic stature.
Old 05-01-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Was anyone else surprised when Debbie said she was 46? I thought that she was in her 60's. Can't stand her as well and between her & Coach i hope she goes next.
Old 05-01-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Was anyone else surprised when Debbie said she was 46? I thought that she was in her 60's. Can't stand her as well and between her & Coach i hope she goes next.
Ditto. I really wonder why everyone is so down on Sierra. She did nothing that I saw to provoke the obvious dislike everyone has for her. I hope it comes out in the reunion show.
Old 05-01-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Ditto. I really wonder why everyone is so down on Sierra. She did nothing that I saw to provoke the obvious dislike everyone has for her. I hope it comes out in the reunion show.

I fear for those who liked Sierra or even just felt a little badly for her, that the reunion show probably isn't going to settle things.

I know someone posted something about a whole lot of Sierra stuff must be on the editing room floor. I just don't buy that. Sure, some people do get good edits and bad edits, but the producers would have had to give her the best treatment ever, for seemingly no good reason, to justify all the garbage she had to put up with.

No way do I buy that even her immaturity was more annoying than pretty much anything coach says every 5 minutes.

But Jeff's blog has me convinved that it will be something petty that they hang her on. As mentioned, that she got off to a poor start being sick, that she wasn't very social, and I bet they'll even convince themselves to a person that she was weak.

But they won't bring up that she had shelter built for her tribe when they arrived, which looked pretty damned good, especially for a sick, weakling who they all thought sucked. That old lady didn't do the same for her tribe.

I like Probst a lot, actually, but even he sometimes gets caught up in the drama too much. He may take some digs at Coach, but he also seems to have a bit of a man-crush on him and has since the first of the blogs. So when he writes that Sierra PROBABLY did things that justified the way people felt and then finished off by writing that was all he was going to say on the matter, it's like he'd convinced himself she deserved all the crap she got.

So, unless they did cut out a LOT, I see them really glossing over this issue at the reunion, mostly because I don't think anyone will stick up for her when they do talk about it. She'll have to count on someone sticking up for her out of the blue and doing a good job of it or the crowd.

We all know they'll show the clip proving Sierra was telling the truth and Debbie and Coach were the liars, but that's about all I see her getting in the way of support and redemption. She's just too young and certainly not articulate enough to help out her own cause and when the ENTIRE CAST pretty much won't say anything, you're doomed when it comes to the lunatics that make up the majority of Survivor cast.

Coach is not the only one living in an alternate reality. His is just the most far out.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-01-09 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

I read in one of the evicted cast interviews (forget which) that Sierra came across pretty annoying and bragged a lot at camp about the places that she'd been as a model. Apparently, they were all pretty sick of her. Doesn't explain the level of vitriol thrown at her, but people like to pile on.

Did a search last night...Sierra Reed. NSFW (sort of)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oUyOQoDz2s...less-image.jpg
Old 05-01-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
I read in one of the evicted cast interviews (forget which) that Sierra came across pretty annoying and bragged a lot at camp about the places that she'd been as a model. Apparently, they were all pretty sick of her. Doesn't explain the level of vitriol thrown at her, but people like to pile on.

I doubt it was THAT bad. I sincerely believe drama trumps everything else and I don't believe that the producers would totally edit things to make her seem like she was THAT much better than she was just so we'd be angry about her being dumped on so much.

Seems to me, based on other years of Survivor, she probably just didn't relate to the group and when she yacked about her life, they didn't like it, but when Coach did it or Debbie did it or Brendan did it, there was a different standard. Other than the super smart Survivor players who KNOW to shut your mouth from time to time (especially about certain things like modeling), EVERYONE there spends way too much time talking because they have nothing to do most of the time.

Again, that's lame thing to hang her out on even though I agree it may have gotten on my nerves too. I bet the amount of unwanted stories you are forced to listen to back at camp each season is unbelievable.

I guess I'm really just a bit more worked up for 2 simple reasons. I've watched EVERY season of Survivor and there have been many seasons where there were women who looked much more capable than Sierra to do well, who would just fall down, quit, and totally suck and it always pissed me off because I thought they were taking a spot from someone who really belonged. So, this whole notion that's grown that Sierra was so weak and so terrible is bogus. Sierra was, at the very least, a decent Survivor competitor and second, like the earlier poster, I was raised to not treat women like that.

Since a lot of people might not agree about the not treating the women to any higher standard part, I'm more pissed about the first part.

Go back and watch the season where that pilot was so dominant for example...I think that was Steph's first season...and there were several women who sucked so bad, who would just quit, and they didn't get 1/1600 the criticism and grief.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-01-09 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Judging from the Ponderosa videos, Tyson really "fills out" those tight swim trunks.
Old 05-01-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Wait, whatever happened to the Hidden Immunity Idols from the beginning of the season? The ones that Sierra and that other lady got the clues to when they first got to their respective camps. No one ever followed up on the clues, right? Maybe the clues would have led to the Tree Mail location?
Old 05-01-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 144 Posts

There is no justice if Coach or Debbie makes it to the end, at least they got rid of Tyson.
Old 05-01-09, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
Wait, whatever happened to the Hidden Immunity Idols from the beginning of the season? The ones that Sierra and that other lady got the clues to when they first got to their respective camps. No one ever followed up on the clues, right? Maybe the clues would have led to the Tree Mail location?
Those two idols were only good for the first tribal council for each tribe. Since neither was found before the first tribal council, they are out of the game.
Old 05-01-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
I imagine production probably came and got them during one of the challenges.

Sierra and Brendan did something funny that I wish would have made the show. When Erinn first went to Exile, Sierra said they took her immunity idol clue from the first impressions vote off and tied to together with some "official stuff" and put it in the back of the treemail. She said Erinn was digging on the beach for a few days.
Old 05-02-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I doubt it was THAT bad. I sincerely believe drama trumps everything else and I don't believe that the producers would totally edit things to make her seem like she was THAT much better than she was just so we'd be angry about her being dumped on so much.

Seems to me, based on other years of Survivor, she probably just didn't relate to the group and when she yacked about her life, they didn't like it, but when Coach did it or Debbie did it or Brendan did it, there was a different standard. Other than the super smart Survivor players who KNOW to shut your mouth from time to time (especially about certain things like modeling), EVERYONE there spends way too much time talking because they have nothing to do most of the time.

Again, that's lame thing to hang her out on even though I agree it may have gotten on my nerves too. I bet the amount of unwanted stories you are forced to listen to back at camp each season is unbelievable.

I guess I'm really just a bit more worked up for 2 simple reasons. I've watched EVERY season of Survivor and there have been many seasons where there were women who looked much more capable than Sierra to do well, who would just fall down, quit, and totally suck and it always pissed me off because I thought they were taking a spot from someone who really belonged. So, this whole notion that's grown that Sierra was so weak and so terrible is bogus. Sierra was, at the very least, a decent Survivor competitor and second, like the earlier poster, I was raised to not treat women like that.

Since a lot of people might not agree about the not treating the women to any higher standard part, I'm more pissed about the first part.

Go back and watch the season where that pilot was so dominant for example...I think that was Steph's first season...and there were several women who sucked so bad, who would just quit, and they didn't get 1/1600 the criticism and grief.
I fully agree. She acknowledged at the start that she was sick and so, to make up for it, she really worked hard at that first shelter. I think when the rest of her team got there they were probably pissed that she did so well as they expected her to be crying under a tree.

Also it must be really hard for someone her age and maturity to be so outcast from everyone, and as you stated, there are people doing much worse things than her who get no grief. I have never felt so bad for a survivor before. She not only does not deserve her treatment, she is better than quite a few of the idiots there, like coach and deb.
Old 05-02-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Sierra and Brendan did something funny that I wish would have made the show. When Erinn first went to Exile, Sierra said they took her immunity idol clue from the first impressions vote off and tied to together with some "official stuff" and put it in the back of the treemail. She said Erinn was digging on the beach for a few days.
why oh why would that not be on the show? that's hilarious! Or at least that mid-season "what you didn't see" show?
Old 05-02-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

I hope Coach makes it to the end. He won't win anyway, and he's good TV in the mean time. Plus, what a final tribal council as he answered questions from the jury.
Old 05-02-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
why oh why would that not be on the show? that's hilarious! Or at least that mid-season "what you didn't see" show?
Probably logistics. Erinn and Joe were on Exile before the last pre-merge immunity challenge. Timbira won so we didn't really go back to their camp. They had all that Taj/Sidney drama to play out over there, plus, the Taj fake immunity idol that Joe "fell" for (he claimed in interviews he was about 90% sure it was a fake). Then the next episode started with the merge.

As for the "what you didn't see" show...this happened after that.
Old 05-02-09, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiquidSky View Post
Judging from the Ponderosa videos, Tyson really "fills out" those tight swim trunks.

(If there were a handslap smilie, Sky, I'd use it)
Old 05-02-09, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang! I ignored the "NSFW" since I never access from work & was totally surprised by the photo (For some reason, I was expecting a blog about Sierra). Was that a strategically-placed teddy bear she's holding? Guess I'll have to ask the wife to check it out.

I agree with 3 earlier posted observations re: Sierra:

(1) She certainly seemed to get an inordinate amount of grief.

(2) It seems likely that there is a lot of edited footage that might explain the animosity toward her.

(3) Judging from the disappointing lack of revelations/explanations given at past reunion shows, I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

Ole Coach Ben would make a heckuva finalist, wouldn't he?

While I picked J.T. early on, I'm declaring for Stephen to win the season. He has stayed one step ahead most of the game & seems to be constantly thinking about his next move. I love the frantic looks he gets (his shivering-in-the-rain pizzafest was priceless)...he seems to be on most everyone's good side, has alliances with both Taj & J.T., and is a smart & tough competitor. I still like J.T. but feel that he's identified himself as a huge target if anyone could muster up a coup (which seems doubtful at this stage). This season is a little hard to predict, though. It seems that Ben & Debby would be next to go, but who knows what the Dragonslayer might conjure up (other than a load of d.s.).
Old 05-02-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I know someone posted something about a whole lot of Sierra stuff must be on the editing room floor. I just don't buy that. Sure, some people do get good edits and bad edits, but the producers would have had to give her the best treatment ever, for seemingly no good reason, to justify all the garbage she had to put up with.
My take is this: 8 Survivors can't be wrong. They're the ones that spent all that time with Sierra and NONE of them like her. And going on your point that this may have started with the first challenge where she was sick: Well Stephen and JT certainly don't like her. Stephen called her a bitch last week and didn't include her in on the Tyson blindside. They also weren't on the same team when she was sick and got helicoptered to camp.

I fully believe that editing did her all the justice in the world. From what I can tell, she and Brendon probably tried to make a ton of shady moves. Since they never panned out they never found the need to show it. Hence leading to all the dislike for her. Or she was just flat out annoying and no one wanted to be around her. I think this is exactly what happened with Sugar (both models) last season (and to a lesser degree, Amanda from her seasons).

I do believe there is a good reason to give Sierra a good edit and that's because they wanted the audience to "love to hate" Coach. I think while Coach has come off as a complete D-bag in the game I think he's been entirely harmless. All the moves he was involved in came from his alliance with Tyson. He never did great in immunities and the only thing he tried to pull after the merge was the Sierra move from this episode. I just think that no one takes him seriously.

As for Probst, he writes those blogs as if he's watching the show with us. This way he doesn't give away too much, so while he may know something he doesn't want to reveal anything.
Old 05-02-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Apparently, she wouldn't shut her yap. Watch the first video.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...best_of_erinn/
Old 05-02-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Dang! I ignored the "NSFW" since I never access from work & was totally surprised by the photo (For some reason, I was expecting a blog about Sierra). Was that a strategically-placed teddy bear she's holding? Guess I'll have to ask the wife to check it out.

I agree with 3 earlier posted observations re: Sierra:

(1) She certainly seemed to get an inordinate amount of grief.

(2) It seems likely that there is a lot of edited footage that might explain the animosity toward her.

(3) Judging from the disappointing lack of revelations/explanations given at past reunion shows, I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

Ole Coach Ben would make a heckuva finalist, wouldn't he?

While I picked J.T. early on, I'm declaring for Stephen to win the season. He has stayed one step ahead most of the game & seems to be constantly thinking about his next move. I love the frantic looks he gets (his shivering-in-the-rain pizzafest was priceless)...he seems to be on most everyone's good side, has alliances with both Taj & J.T., and is a smart & tough competitor. I still like J.T. but feel that he's identified himself as a huge target if anyone could muster up a coup (which seems doubtful at this stage). This season is a little hard to predict, though. It seems that Ben & Debby would be next to go, but who knows what the Dragonslayer might conjure up (other than a load of d.s.).
I still think number 2 on your list is SO subjective. I bet there is tons of footage not used about almost everyone talking endlessly about their own lives and stories to kill time that would make us all want to puke. Oh, other than Coach. But imagine from what we have heard from him, just how many hours of him talking like that we haven't heard.

I will say it again and I even think Probst is a little bit of a hypocrite about this. I doubt Sierra's talks back at camp are worse than most anyone else's...hers just stand out because she didn't really fit in and HER stories probably come across as vapid and immature. But, that's kind of what a model is usually going to be like at 23. What's Debbie or Coach's excuse?

Also, I clicked on some links to Sydney talking in clips, because I kind of missed the first really good eye-candy for hetero men Survivor's given us in a long time and I honesly couldn't get through the whole maybe 7 minute clip of her talking. Zero personality and seemed really dumb. I lasted 3 minutes and, no, don't any of you make any jokes about that. Are all of your head's in the gutter??

As far as the game, as of now, total snooze. JT and Stephen seem most worthy. Coach seems like the hated guy most people would want to sit next to. But this show defies logic every season almost. Just assuming that the big mouth, liar, who's not well-liked isn't going to win is just plain stupid. The jury is totally unpredicatable. They could just go ahead and give Coach the win, easily justifying it by saying if you can make it to the final 2 and have most people here gagging when they hear you, you did an amazing job.

Watch the guy end up being a milk man and telling everyone he was acting the whole time and never broke the Dragonslayer character. THAT would be worth seeing.

Anyway, if JT and Stephen wins, it kind of suggests that there won't be much drama other than when the 2 of them finally turn on each other.

For me, as of now, I'd kind of like to see Erinn surprise all because then it's not predicatable and it's not Coach or "I'm putting my hand up, don't talk to me like I talk to you, you're just 23" Debbie.

If we end up with predictable, I'll go with JT as of now.
Old 05-02-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 541 Likes on 443 Posts

Sierra deserved better for outing Coach and Debbie. Hope Coach leaves soon because I've had my fill of smugness for a while.
Old 05-02-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
My take is this: 8 Survivors can't be wrong.

I fully believe that editing did her all the justice in the world. From what I can tell, she and Brendon probably tried to make a ton of shady moves.
Aside from the Exile alliance, which ended up being a whole lot of TV time for nothing, I'm not sure what "shady moves" Brendan and Sierra could even attempt. Pre-merge Coach, Debbie, and Tyson were alligned, and Erinn was kinda persona non grata.

Besides, I think the whole eliminate Brendan move came about because Tyson (rightly so) viewed him as a threat, and, more importantly, Ben NEVER got over Jerry calling Brendan the better leader. From what we've seen, Brendan seems like one of the nicest guys in the world. And he chose to make his primarily alliance partner Sierra. I think that speaks a little to her character.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright İ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.