TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chuck -- "Chuck Versus the Ring" -- Season 2 Finale -- 4/27/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chuck -- "Chuck Versus the Ring" -- Season 2 Finale -- 4/27/09

Originally Posted by cracksky
Unless Bryce was shot in a major organ or bled out (I didn't see any blood on the floor), he probably wouldn't die that fast but who knows, it is tv.
And it is a show about a guy with a computer uploaded into his brain without any actual technology inside, which itself is pretty fantastic. Suffice it to say, suspension of disbelief is a big part of liking this show (and almost every other show).

I read not too long ago about the actor playing Bryce getting a role in a different, new tv show for the Fall. I don't think that changes things that much in terms of his character, since he was just a guest star anyway...

I love this series. I really hope it's renewed.
-ring ding-
Old 04-28-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cracksky
Unless Bryce was shot in a major organ or bled out (I didn't see any blood on the floor), he probably wouldn't die that fast but who knows, it is tv.
You also can't have a vast database downloaded into your brain by watching a bunch of pictures on a computer monitor. It's TV.

I vote for Bryce is dead. It's an excellent plot point to wrap up a semi-regular character while providing Chuck the motivation to remain a spy.
Old 04-28-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Just finished watching this!

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Agree with all comments on the Sam Kinison/Lesbian Indian.

Loved the BTTF reference. I thought they were going to break out with Johnny B Good, but I guess that would have been too cheesy and obvious.

I'm sure that beach is from many places, but it was certainly used in The OC. Was that church used at some point as well in The OC?

I was almost on the verge of tears when Chuck was talking to Sarah before the wedding.

Anybody else feel like large amounts were cut from the episode? I feel like a lot was crammed in to account for time. This easily could have been 90 minutes.

Between the previous episode and this episode I can't believe how much this came full circle to the pilot (which I had happened to watch last night on http://www.thewb.com ). Irony that both times Bryce was shot it was in the back?

I suppose this new route would allow Chuck and Sarah to be a real couple since he'll likely have to join the government somehow. For a moment there I thought they were going to make Chuck stick around next season as the new Orion. I'm so glad they didn't go that route since it just felt very wrong.

As much as I agree needing to cut costs next season you can't get rid of the Buy More (or it's new equivalent). It, and his family life, are the other half of the show. I think it would be absolutely hilarious if they had Chuck working at Largemart next year.

I'll also add, again, to the pile saying that if NBC doesn't renew this I'll be very upset. Speaking of which, please excuse me while I go finish my letters to NBC and Subway....
Old 04-29-09, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I vote for Bryce is dead, but they still wanted to keep the possibility of his future return hence the quick body removal. It's funny that they left a couple of corpses at the front desk, but quickly carted Bryce off.
Old 04-29-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So a few things occurred to me last night and this morning.

Since I had just watched the pilot again, when Chuck falls through onto the floor in the intersect room it's just the same as Bryce back then. Guess they need to work on that ventilation shaft access.

Something else I'm puzzled on. I think Bryce answers this when he was talking with Chuck, but I had always thought Bryce sent Chuck the intersect by accident. Especially if Bryce was working with Orion, you know he would not want Chuck to have it. However, I guess the original puzzle/troll game clue Bryce sent for Chuck to get into the intersect/e-mail back in the pilot says otherwise.
Old 04-29-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

As many have said, thought it was great. So now Chuck has the ability to learn things on the fly (like Neo) AND he has Orion's super wrist computer.

Good cliffhanger to end on.

But a few comments:

1) Sarah, you are dumb. "Chuck, did you just flash?" Yeah, sarah, let's point out in no uncertain terms that Chuck has downloaded the new intersect, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BAD GUYS.

2) Just cause i want to be nitpicky about a show i really do love. I do get the concept of his brain downloading HOW to execute kung fu moves. But unlike the matrix, where all of the action was inside Neo's mind, this actually takes place in real life. Chuck's body has never executed those moves before. He doesn't have the muscles to execute flips and send guys careening into walls. I would understand the idea that he knows the technique and the proper places to hit people, but he still doesn't have the strength they showed in the show.

3) Where does the show go from here? I can see the intersect uploading new things to Chuck (like how to use a sniper rifle, or how to kill someone in 250 different ways), but one of the best things about Chuck is his helplessness and the way he gets out of situations even with no training. I hope that aspect of the show isn't gone.
Old 04-29-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose this new route would allow Chuck and Sarah to be a real couple since he'll likely have to join the government somehow.
I bet with Chucks new "powers" he will become more cocky and not the sweet person Sarah likes and that will cause conflicts in the future. Until Chuck realizes she is right of course.
Old 04-29-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheGuy
I bet with Chucks new "powers" he will become more cocky and not the sweet person Sarah likes and that will cause conflicts in the future. Until Chuck realizes she is right of course.
And with great power comes great responsibility.
Old 04-29-09, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP! I live in a area that requires satellite TV. I watched the show for 50 minutes....then we had a hard storm and I lost the signal. I have no idea what happened at the end. They were all at the wedding party and ........? Yes I would like someone to tell me how they left it...Please

Richard
Old 04-29-09, 10:15 AM

it's worth watching - explanation isn't going to do it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70226/chuc...ersus-the-ring
Old 04-29-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
it's worth watching - explanation isn't going to do it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70226/chuc...ersus-the-ring
From 2 posts above, "area that requires satellite tv" is usually code for NO BROADBAND!

So, hopefully he can watch it on hulu with his dial-up service
Old 04-29-09, 11:04 AM

yeah hopefully, cause i'm not typing up an explanation.

but i will give this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chuck+vs+the+ring+recap

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-29-09 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I hope that aspect of the show isn't gone.
Here's an interview that may rest some fears for Chuck's future if renewed.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Chuck-in...z-1005538.aspx

"There is a plan in place, and the tone of the show and Chuck's underdog quality will remain intact."
Old 04-29-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Top notch finale. For some reason I was expecting some twist like the intersect being in Sarahs head and Chuck needing to protect her or something along those lines.

But still, the Jeffster performance was pretty epic.
Old 04-29-09, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2

"There is a plan in place, and the tone of the show and Chuck's underdog quality will remain intact."
Thanks for the link.

Also from that link, for all you Bryce lovers:

TVGuide.com: Is Bryce truly and sincerely dead this time?
Schwartz: He is dead.
Old 04-29-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2

Also from that link,
TVGuide.com: Does it end as good as this one?
Schwartz: Yeah, we're really excited about it. And one thing I will promise for next year is that, come hell or high water, Jeffster shall return!
Old 04-29-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you jump to the 1:00 mark you will quickly see the irony.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/89Ye6dLzp4o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/89Ye6dLzp4o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 04-29-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schwartz: Yeah, we're really excited about it. And one thing I will promise for next year is that, come hell or high water, Jeffster shall return!
Sorry to hear it. I think Jeffster is truly cringeworthy. Seeing them is like witnessing a horrific traffic accident.
Old 04-29-09, 10:46 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's the point...
Old 04-29-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure to order your Jeffster T-shirt from the NBC Store!

Old 04-30-09, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
But still, the Jeffster performance was pretty epic.
I like how some of the lyrics of Mr. Roboto apply directly to Chuck himself.
Old 04-30-09, 03:37 PM

If Chuck's no longer part of the Nerd Herd, I wonder what the opening credits will look like next season.
Old 04-30-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

No Buy More no sale. I think the show would get too heavy without the Buy More shenanigans.
Old 04-30-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Loved the Kung Fu line.
Old 05-02-09, 06:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Zach Levi on 'Chuck' pickup: 'Chances are good'
May 1, 2009, 01:39 PM | by Michael Ausiello

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/...y-levi-on.html

From Zachary Levi's lips to Jeff Zucker's ears…

Chuck's leading man says he's feeling optimistic that NBC will renew his spy comedy for a third season. "I think the chances are good that we'll come back," he said at last night's Star Trek premiere. "But television is in a weird, fickle place right now, so you never know. We're supposed to find out on Monday."

That's an eternity for Chuck's rabid, Subway-munching fans, many of who have been taking part in the various grassroots campaigns that have sprouted up to save the show. "It feels awesome to know we have dedicated fans," says Levi. "People were sending the network nerds -- candy ones, not human ones as that would have cost a lot more postage and there are probably some legal issues with mailing a human. They were also going out and buying Subway foot-longs because they are one of our main advertisers.

"I hope we get another season," he elaborates. "I love being Chuck and I love the people I work. And the season finale was not meant to be the end of the series. It did not wrap it all up with a bow. They did not write it to be the end, so it would be unsatisfying to leave it there."

Speaking of which, assuming NBC does the right thing and keeps Chuck going, what would next season look like? "Chuck now has the new version of the Intersect in his head and not only does that one allow him to flash on information, it also allows him to get physical powers and techniques," he explains. "Like he might need kung fu for an assignment and then he uses it and it goes away. The powers are fleeting. That would be the third season."

For 'round the clock updates on Chuck's fate -- and the fate of all your favorite bubble shows -- bookmark my Fall TV Cheat Sheet. For immediate reports, get with the program and start following me on Twitter. In the meantime, head to the comments section and tell NBC how hurt you'll be if they cancel Chuck. (Reporting by Carrie Bell)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.