The Office -- "Broke" -- 4/23/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Broke" -- 4/23/09

Old 04-24-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Broke" -- 4/23/09

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

I do wish they had used the MSPC open a few more times though.
I agree.. especially for this episode.

I noticed that they switched back the opening - which was a bit of a spoiler before the episode even started
Old 04-24-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
I agree.. especially for this episode.

I noticed that they switched back the opening - which was a bit of a spoiler before the episode even started
No, they had switched back to the "regular" opening for last week's episode. The altered opening was only used for one episode, if I remember correctly.

And, in regards to the money or the jobs, they got the jobs. Instead of a sixty-thousand dollar buyout, it would up being, according to David Wallace, a multi-million dollar buyout. With health care (including dental this time), taxes, Social Security, and the like for three employees, it would up being quite a good deal more.
Old 04-24-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love how this show keeps the pace going and always avoids clichés.
Old 04-24-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On a side note:

I noticed they hardly use Kate Flannery in the episodes.

Other than the rehab episode, I don't think she had a speaking part in any of the 20+ episodes this season.
Old 04-24-09, 12:36 PM

Last week she took Creed's stolen pancakes to her kid.
Old 04-24-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Great episode.

Michael proved once again that he is in fact a great salesman. Selling his worthless company and getting jobs for himself, Pam and Ryan was probably his best sale ever.

This type of thing actually does happen in real life. I have seen companies buy out worthless competitors just to protect the short term bottom line. It will be interesting to see if Wallace is questioned by his superiors about this deal.
Old 04-24-09, 01:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe View Post
On a side note:

I noticed they hardly use Kate Flannery in the episodes.

Other than the rehab episode, I don't think she had a speaking part in any of the 20+ episodes this season.
I don't mind one bit. Next to Phyllis, she's one I wouldn't miss at all if she left.
Old 04-24-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also loved it when after Michael kicks Charles out, he puts his foot on Jim's desk and beams to the camera with Jim pointing to him like he's the man! Just a nice note to go out on.
Old 04-24-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish they would use Creed a bit more.
Old 04-24-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by invisiblegt View Post
No, they had switched back to the "regular" opening for last week's episode. The altered opening was only used for one episode, if I remember correctly.

And, in regards to the money or the jobs, they got the jobs. Instead of a sixty-thousand dollar buyout, it would up being, according to David Wallace, a multi-million dollar buyout. With health care (including dental this time), taxes, Social Security, and the like for three employees, it would up being quite a good deal more.
But wasn't Dunder Mifflin already looking for a new regional manager? So it's only really Pam and Ryan that are the new employees.

I also have a feeling that Charles will be fired by the board soon; he screwed up royally in Scranton; so what's the point of keeping him on?
Old 04-24-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wasn't convinced how the writers wiggled out of Micheal's exile. Had to call the head office to approve a 60k buyout but gave the instant greenlight to rehiring the three them? Meh. At least this subplot is over and maybe things will pick up with the repercussions.
Old 04-24-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

The funniest part to me was that they thought the answer to their problems was simply selling more. We just dealt with a business where the owners didn't understand that you couldn't sell a product for less than it costs you to produce it, and still make money, no matter how many you sold. Some people have no common sense.
Old 04-24-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist View Post
Wasn't convinced how the writers wiggled out of Micheal's exile. Had to call the head office to approve a 60k buyout but gave the instant greenlight to rehiring the three them? Meh. At least this subplot is over and maybe things will pick up with the repercussions.
I'm sure Wallace knew how much he could give up, and the whole "have to check with the board" thing was just bargaining.
Old 04-24-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, the dude is the CFO, he knows what he can offer.
Old 04-24-09, 04:20 PM

Didn't David say in the meeting that Charles stayed?

Was he given the boot or was Michael just telling him to F-off?
Old 04-24-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by siddd5 View Post

Yeah, he said Charles wasn't going anywhere and that he was valuable. That kind of made his no-reaction to Michael at the end a little weird, since at the end of the day Michael still reports to him. Maybe he just quits because of Michael coming back and Dave's support of Jim.
Old 04-24-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by siddd5 View Post

Michael was just getting a little payback.

I think the Ryan rehiring was a little hard to believe but the rest was pretty believable. They have established that David is an idiot (frankly, a bigger one than Michael if you're paying attention) throughout the show. He let Jan stay on WAY longer than appropriate. He hired Ryan and apparently didn't monitor him well enough to keep him from costing the company huge. He let Michael run roughshod over him on several occasions. He botched the introduction of Charles so badly that Michael quit and created a big crisis for him. Charles clearly isn't working out, as evidenced by his lack of discretion in choosing Dwight as his protege of sorts.

I hope we tune in next week to find that Ryan has been given a job in the warehouse. It was clearly spelled out where Pam and Michael would be working, but they didn't do so for Ryan.
Old 04-24-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Liked the episode but Ryan should not have gotten his job back now matter what.
Old 04-24-09, 04:43 PM

i must have missed the episode where ryan left after coming back to the office. what happened?
Old 04-24-09, 04:50 PM

I thought that before the final agreement was made Michael said something along the lines of, "These are my terms." and one of the terms he mentioned was that Charles would be gone.
Old 04-24-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by frenchy View Post
I thought that before the final agreement was made Michael said something along the lines of, "These are my terms." and one of the terms he mentioned was that Charles would be gone.
David then said absolutely not.
Old 04-24-09, 05:01 PM

I know a few people were hoping to see that plot line stretched out further, but I'm really happy to see it done. There were some nice laughs, but the whole thing was ridiculous and the ending (with the exception of Pam getting bumped up to sales) seemed like a foregone conclusion.

One thing that really bothered me throughout the ordeal -- Pam has a huge stake in this new project's success... and she doesn't want to design a logo for the company? Or a web site, that flyer, anything? That seems like a huge "plot hole" for her character, even if she decided after art school that she didn't want to be doing that type of thing as a full-time job.

I'm looking forward to Jim being 'normal' again.

Regarding the CFO's resistance to hiring Ryan back, didn't he already 'come back' after that drug bust? I could've sworn a whole plot line of him getting his temp-like job back, getting Kelly back from Daryl, working next to Kelly and Toby, etc., then saying he was going on a trip, as opposed to a more objectionable departure?
Old 04-24-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Michael hired him as a temp without telling anybody out of the office. It's a temp -- surely the CFO doesn't give his blessing to the identity of the temps.
Old 04-24-09, 05:09 PM

I don't think David Wallace ever wanted Michael to quit and definitely did want him to come back. I think he took the other two just to get it all over with. I'm pretty sure he was least happy about having Ryan back.
Old 04-24-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I hope we tune in next week to find that Ryan has been given a job in the warehouse. It was clearly spelled out where Pam and Michael would be working, but they didn't do so for Ryan.
I was thinking the same thing. Lots of comedy potential there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.