DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office -- "Broke" -- 4/23/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/553896-office-broke-4-23-09-a.html)

malichai 04-24-09 12:36 AM

Re: The Office -- "Broke" -- 4/23/09

Help me out here. Did they get jobs AND the 60k, or just the jobs?

Draven 04-24-09 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by malichai (Post 9406340)
Help me out here. Did they get jobs AND the 60k, or just the jobs?

Just the jobs, at least as far as what they showed us in the episode.

I LOVED this episode from start to finish, but I've loved the entire season so I'm not surprised the writers continue to handle these characters (and the audience) with such respect.

I was actively sitting there thinking "don't fuck it up Michael...you are so close to being a complete badass" and goddamn he pulled it off. The "nope, you're done" to Charles was EPIC and man...Michael really needed a win like that.

I cannot wait to see where this is going.

Moopher 04-24-09 01:31 AM

I've loved the season so far, but this epsisode was classic.

jiggawhat 04-24-09 01:35 AM

This is now in my top 5 of favorite episodes.

Vipper II 04-24-09 07:00 AM

I wish the Michael Scott Paper Company had been drawn out a little more, but it's damn near impossible to argue with last night's episode. I freakin' loved it, especially the ending.

Red Dog 04-24-09 07:22 AM

:lol: at the Korean woman and the van.

Jimmy James 04-24-09 07:59 AM

What I loved is that Michael actually did tell them that his company was worth nothing and still won because he owned so much in the way he handled it and because what he said about not giving up was so authentic to his character. He could be homeless living out of a box, but he'd still be finding a way to make their lives miserable.

Meglos 04-24-09 08:06 AM

:lol: at Jim's new ringtone.

cdollaz 04-24-09 08:43 AM

I hope we will see Michael make Dwight pay.

JasonF 04-24-09 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by FatTony (Post 9406336)
That was the best episode in a LOOOOONG time, and I think that's largely due to everyone in the episode behaving like rational human beings...

Dwight wanted to unleash a hive of bees in Michael's office. His irrationality was actually a plot point, since it led to Charles ignoring his intelligence on the Michael Scott Paper Company.

Speaking of Dwight, it will be interesting to see what they do with the Michael-Dwight relationship from here.

JetSter735180 04-24-09 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9406674)
Speaking of Dwight, it will be interesting to see what they do with the Michael-Dwight relationship from here.

Im betting the last episode will be all about that......

Tommy_Harn 04-24-09 09:19 AM

It seems that this season of the Office has been rather polarizing. Its nice to see the consensus of high praise for this week's episode. Michael laying down the law on Charles as he left the office? I can't remember a better sit-com payoff. Brilliantly done.

whoopdido 04-24-09 09:34 AM

That was the best episode in a LOOOOONG time, and I think that's largely due to everyone in the episode behaving like rational human beings...

HOWEVER, I thought the MSPC storyline rejuvinated the show for the last couple weeks, and I would have liked to see it continue at least to the end of the season. While I always expected Michael, Pam, and (probably) Ryan to end up back in the office, I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I just hope the writers don't fall back into bad habits.

I did laugh a lot during this episode and that's the point of watching the show, so it was definitely a success. However, David did not act rationally. There's no way a real CFO would have given Michael and Ryan their jobs back. I guess he was really the only one that didn't. Michael scored big time and Dwight just acted like he normally does, so the bee thing didn't bother me. Even Jim went back to his old witty self and didn't act like a complete doofus. I know I know it's the Office and it's not supposed to be real. I agree with that, but I guess you just can't say that the episode was good because everybody acted normal but forget about the fact that one of the top executives in the company allowed himself to not only be tricked but also allow a criminal and a guy that attempted to destroy or at least hurt the company to have their jobs back and allow a former receptionist with no sales experience whatsoever to come on as a salesperson.

andicus 04-24-09 09:44 AM

Dwight wanted to unleash a hive of bees in Michael's office. His irrationality was actually a plot point, since it led to Charles ignoring his intelligence on the Michael Scott Paper Company.

True, but I wonder if it will last long? It didn't last long when Dwight tried to take Michael's job in season 3. Still, it should be good for some laughs.

boogieman03 04-24-09 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 9406375)
Just the jobs, at least as far as what they showed us in the episode.

Really? I thought they got both.

Brent L 04-24-09 09:56 AM

Nope, just the jobs. Ryan wanted the money, Pam agreed with Michael that the jobs are way more beneficial, so that's what they went with instead of the money.

That's how I interpreted it anyway.

Gizmo 04-24-09 10:03 AM

I thought when they closed the blinds Pam said "We're rich!!!!" or something like that.

Brent L 04-24-09 10:08 AM

Just went back to watch it on Hulu. They cheered and celebrated, but didn't say anything about the money. Ryan said he'd rather have the money, Michael said jobs are safer, and Pam agreed that the jobs is the way to go. As Michael got up, Pam said "but that's all, ok".

Bandoman 04-24-09 10:09 AM

"No, Jim, I use a bad apiarist." :lol:

Draven 04-24-09 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 9406799)
Really? I thought they got both.

Yeah, I read another review site that said the same thing. I must have missed that, because it seemed like they were saying they wanted the jobs instead of the money.

Birrman54 04-24-09 11:04 AM

I don't see any reason they would have given them the jobs and cash.

The elevator scene was hilarious, getting on and telling Michael not to say anything about their finances, and then the doors opening and Michael is crumpled on the floor.

cerial442 04-24-09 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido (Post 9406763)
and allow a former receptionist with no sales experience whatsoever to come on as a salesperson.

She does have experience, she got the MSPC their first sale.

Sex Fiend 04-24-09 11:24 AM

HOWEVER, I thought the MSPC storyline rejuvinated the show for the last couple weeks, and I would have liked to see it continue at least to the end of the season. While I always expected Michael, Pam, and (probably) Ryan to end up back in the office, I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I just hope the writers don't fall back into bad habits.

Totally agree. I really liked the episode, but I felt they should have extended the MSPC plot for a few more episodes at least to really take advantage of the momentum they were building. It feels to me like they wrapped up a great plotline way too soon. For one thing, it seems unlikely that DM would have caved in to the "threat" of MSPC quite that quickly, even with Wallace's concerns about the BOD meeting.

I agree that it was a nicely done episode, and always good to see the character of Michael as a decent, real guy. But they definitely could have hit it out of the park with a few more episodes building on the storyline, and then wrapping the season with this episode.

mdc3000 04-24-09 11:55 AM

I thought they got both... Michael didn't agree to just a 60k buyout because he wanted to ADD to that the amendment that they needed their jobs back in addition to the buyout money... that's what I got anyhow. Glad to see Michael not screw it up but I hope the show can keep this streak going, because MSPC was the best thing to happen to the show in a while.

"I have no shortage of company names"

Draven 04-24-09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend (Post 9407005)
I agree that it was a nicely done episode, and always good to see the character of Michael as a decent, real guy. But they definitely could have hit it out of the park with a few more episodes building on the storyline, and then wrapping the season with this episode.

But again, I have to give them credit for NOT doing what everyone expects. I think most people felt this would come to some big showdown and it was actually wrapped up relatively quickly.

I do wish they had used the MSPC open a few more times though.