0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/23/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/23/09

The immunity challenge in the rain just looked brutal, it was sort of uncomfortable to watch them all out there freezing.
Old 04-23-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friggin awesome episode. Love these blindsiding. It was nice to see Sierra took defeat with grace when Debbie took out her puck for immunity.
Old 04-23-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm just a casual watcher, never post, but I gotta say, that was satisfying. Tyson seemed like a smug little prick.

Anyone who would kick another person when he is down is a douche. Doing it to a woman is even worse. Sierra did nothing wrong. EVERYONE voted for someone. It's not wrong. It's how it works.
Old 04-23-09, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is probably one of the top 2 blindsides since I've been watching Survivor starting with Season 7. I really couldn't believe the others had the balls to vote Tyson out. He is a totally condescending person, especially when it comes to women.

That being said, Sierra was pretty annoying trying to get her point across to the other players when she thought she was being voted out. The sooner she goes the better. But it might make for great drama to see Coach swallowing his pride to get her on his side.

This has been a really good season for the blindsides!

Chris
Old 04-23-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope to god Sierra doesn't ruin this by siding with Coach, but it'll be interesting to see who Coach wants to vote off if she does side with them. Will it be JT, thus going against everything he's talked about with having the strongest at the end. I'm sure it will be.

Still, I hope that was just editing and Sierra lays into coach, but I have feeling she's going to side with him and they knock out either JT or Stephen next week.

If she has half a brain, she sides with Taj/Stephen/JT, kicks out Coach and the principal, then aligns with Taj and Erin (all women alliance) and picks off the other two. And I think she has a great chance against those 2.

But we all know thats not how it will work.
Old 04-24-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I think, at least for next week, Erin holds all the real power in the game. I do think Sierra would side with Coach and Debbie; what do JT and Stephen have to offer her? If Erin is smart and her goal is to win the money then next week would be the week to flip again and blindside JT.
Old 04-24-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

It's funny when Tyson cries!
Old 04-24-09, 03:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
If Tyson does not win immunity, it would be good for JT/Stephen/Taj/Sierra/Erinn to give him the boot. He's too strong in the competitions.
You called it perfectly, Sky!

I have to admit to being completely blindsided. I have to give credit to the editors...they had me totally convinced that they were just doing their usual b.s. editing to make it "appear" that there might be a slight glimmer of hope for Sierra even while making those who were saying they didn't know how they were voting (J.T., for instance) seem pretty unlikely to change their plans. I was sure that they vote for Sierra would be nearly or completely unanimous aside from her vote...so sure that I smugly predicted to my wife that it was inevitable.

I was so shocked when Jeff began reading "__th person to be voted out" (realizing it was Tyson) that I sat bolt upright in my chair.

And I agree with Sky's assessment of Tyson's personality even though others have said that he has just been playing to the camera (which seems obvious to some degree). However, it seems that if this were the case, he would have dropped his act during his send-off speech. If he was just acting, he carried the act through to the end (and will display it again come Jury Time).

I've been a Sierra fan but didn't care for her groveling or her snooty attitude toward the principal, who appeared to be trying to be nice to her. Unless the scenario goes the way a previous poster outlined & Sierra ends up in a woman's allliance, can't see any way that she goes through to the end (unless someone wants to take her along, figuring that she's so unliked that she would never get the jury's votes).

J.T. & Stephen seem to be one step ahead at this point, but they had best be careful now. J.T. has to have a huge target on his back since he is both an immunity threat & a power broker.
Old 04-24-09, 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
If Tyson does not win immunity, it would be good for JT/Stephen/Taj/Sierra/Erinn to give him the boot. He's too strong in the competitions.
You called it perfectly, Sky!

I have to admit to being completely blindsided. I have to give credit to the editors...they had me totally convinced that they were just doing their usual b.s. editing to make it "appear" that there might be a slight glimmer of hope for Sierra even while making those who were saying they didn't know how they were voting (J.T., for instance) seem pretty unlikely to change their plans. I was sure that they vote for Sierra would be nearly or completely unanimous aside from her vote...so sure that I smugly predicted to my wife that it was inevitable.

I was so shocked when Jeff began reading "__th person to be voted out" (realizing it was Tyson) that I sat bolt upright in my chair.

And I agree with Sky's assessment of Tyson's personality...some say that he has just been playing to the camera, which seems obvious to some degree. However, it seems that if this were the case, he would have dropped his act during his send-off speech. If he was just acting, he carried the act through to the end (and will display it again come Jury Time).

I've been a Sierra fan but didn't care for her groveling or her snooty attitude toward the principal, who appeared to be trying to be nice to her. Unless the scenario goes the way a previous poster outlined & Sierra ends up in a woman's allliance, can't see any way that she goes through to the end (unless someone wants to take her along, figuring that she's so unliked that she would never get the jury's votes).

J.T. & Stephen seem to be one step ahead at this point, but they had best be careful now. J.T. has to have a huge target on his back since he is both an immunity threat & a power broker.

And it was funny when Tyson got that sick look on his face as the votes mounted against him. He suddenly lost his quick wit & was speechless when he got snuffed by Jeff.

The big question seems to be how the Dragon Slayer is going to use his mystic powers to survive this latest setback.
Old 04-24-09, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought last week's vote off was a mistake, but these past two combined look like smart moves. Great episode last night.
Old 04-24-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm glad Tyson was voted off. He either is a douche or acted like a douche (very well). Either way - he was annoying, and not entertaining like Coach.

The immunity challenge was very lame - like Curling, huge advantage to whomever is shooting last.
Old 04-24-09, 10:37 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We were watching with kids and grandparents last night and the whole room erupted with applause when Tyson got voted out. I too thought it was the usual editing to make it look like Sierra actually had a chance. Great season so far!
Old 04-24-09, 02:32 PM

I'll miss Tyson. The guy was freaking funny.
Old 04-24-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The immunity challenge was very lame - like Curling, huge advantage to whomever is shooting last.
I know they probably have the challenges set ahead of time, but it seemed like they threw something out there that Sierra had a chance at.
Old 04-24-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I know they probably have the challenges set ahead of time, but it seemed like they threw something out there that Sierra had a chance at.
Not to mention, that they picked this challenge of all times to have an opt-out pizza option (to increase her chances of winning).
Old 04-24-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by canucker45
I'll miss Tyson. The guy was freaking funny.
I thought he was hilarious. And this happens every season, everyone on the show hates someone but the editing makes them look like darlings. Something was obviously very off about Sierra and Brendan because there wasn't a single person in the crowd that liked them. Not even Erinn who I had assumed was with them. They disliked her so much that they didn't even let her in on the blindside.. and they were going to vote her out soley because they don't like her. That doesn't really happen that off in Survivor this late in the game.

With that said, even though I like Tyson a lot the producers did an excellent job with this episode. I saw the blindside coming towards the end and they did a great job of pulling it off. I was also cracking up at the scene when Erinn was throwing up and you see the chicken run behind her. And the scene where Sierra was giving the heartfelt speech to Coach. This episode has Emmy written all over it.

Looking forward to next week. We'll have a Coach blow up for sure which will be priceless. The immunity idol will be huge later when Sierra/Taj/Erinn try to vote out JT and Stephen.

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I sometimes get the feeling that they have an idea of what the immunity challenges will be and they have them planned out but they switch them around as needed to keep the game interesting.
Old 04-25-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
It did look like it might be manipulation. But the surpise wasn't the final knockout vote. When the second Tyson vote was read, it was over. The look on his face suggested that he knew it too.

He expected one. The second meant he was a goner, because no one would hang themselves out there unless there were a bunch more Tyson votes coming.
Old 04-25-09, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This doesn't have anything to do with this specific episode but can someone please explain to me what the big deal about having a hidden immunity idol is? Maybe I'm dumb but it just doesn't seem to me that the potential positive outweighs the negative of having it. But every year they all act like it's a free ticket to the end or something.
Old 04-25-09, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
The immunity challenge in the rain just looked brutal, it was sort of uncomfortable to watch them all out there freezing.
So true!

I've been in that sitation also even if your in the tropics when your tired and hungry and it pours like that it feels like ice pellets on your skin and you do freeze your ass off!
Old 04-25-09, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trelach24
This doesn't have anything to do with this specific episode but can someone please explain to me what the big deal about having a hidden immunity idol is? Maybe I'm dumb but it just doesn't seem to me that the potential positive outweighs the negative of having it. But every year they all act like it's a free ticket to the end or something.

Your point is valid but it depends how it's used. I think the more people know about it the less it becomes useful. I think the person who finds it should not tell anybody but it's almost impossible since you have to let a few people know who are in your "alliance"

I can't remember his name but the little guy from Utah a few years ago played it perfectly by getting rid of two of them as I recall and he also ended up winning the million bucks
Old 04-25-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Jeff Probst blogs 'Survivor: Tocantins' (episode 10)
Apr 24, 2009, 07:58 AM | by Jeff Probst

Hey all,

How good was that episode?! On a scale of 1-10, I'd love your feedback. I honestly think it's one of the best Survivor episodes ever, for the following reasons:

1. LOVED IT: The opening shot of Coach standing in the water doing his various poses — not because it's Coach but because if you really go back and look at the shot it's absolutely amazing. Our helicopter team is so good. That shot is really beautiful as it spins around him and then pulls away. It's movie good. Bet you didn't even notice it – it was that good. Go back and check.

2. HATED IT: Okay, I've had just about enough of Sierra having to plead for her life with everybody else. Coach, Tyson, Debbie – everybody lecturing her. The ''older folk'' are working the young girl over and now Sierra is my new favorite underdog.

Sierra, tell them to shut it. It's easy to do. Just say, ''Shut it.''

Even Serena is really pissed. She is mad that Sierra has never been given a fair shot. From day one, when she was sick and ousted from the tribe, she has been working hard to earn their approval. Serena is angry. Very angry. I like it when Serena gets angry.

BTW: Tyson, you're wrong — her boyfriend is pretty cool. Mess with him, you mess with me and you don't want to mess with me. Okay, check that, maybe you do want to mess with me, so I'm just asking, please don't mess with me.

3. TENDER MOMENT: Coach has a heart. He extends an olive branch to the young female Dragon Slayer in the making, Sierra. She needs a better Dragon Slayer name though – how about Sierra-Mota. Has a certain ring, I think.

And Sierra with a beautiful line: ''How do you save the kind enemy?'' I know for many of you this just passes by without appreciation, but as a veteran of this reality world, I'm telling you this kind of writing is rare air.

Serena says, ''It's like we're in the Twilight Zone. None of this makes any sense.''

4. WEATHER ORGASM: Oh, you know I love the rain. Love it. Love it. Love it. If there is such thing as a ''reality show host program orgasm'' this is it for me. Go ahead, make all the pithy comments you want. I encourage them all because I own it — I love the rain.

But to have rain...mixed along with hot pizza and a huge dilemma for the contestants... you have a Survivor episode worthy of an Emmy. And an orgasm worthy of it's own blog.

Are you reading this Emmy voters? I challenge you to watch this episode and then tell me this show is not worthy of an Emmy nomination. I'm not positioning, I'm merely preaching the gospel. Where's the love? Let us back in the game for crying out loud.

5. POSER ALERT: Coach, you're such a poser! The ''dragon slayer'' who wants to change the game and play against the best, doesn't think twice about opting for pizza over immunity? I expected better.

Coach's ''I'm hungry'' move just about did Serena in for the night. ''These three guys (Coach, Stephen, J.T.) think they are king of the world and it pisses me off.''

Okay I'm not that mad — that's what happens in this game. It's what is supposed to happen in the game. That's how it's designed. You think you're in control, so you take a chance. Stephen and J.T. clearly feel they are very safe in this game. That kind of cockiness is fun to watch but it can backfire quickly, so heads up country mouse and city slicker – watch your backs.

6. WRITE THIS DOWN: ''It would be (bleeping) stupid if we made an alliance, gave it a name, bandied the name about, talked about ourselves being warriors and then chickened out at the last second.'' Oh man, that made me laugh so hard I had to play it back again and again so I could get it exactly right when I added it to the blog. Coach, you may be a poser, but are a classic, dude.

7. CAN YOU SAY BLINDSIDE?: Tyson, I am going to miss you so much. Man, you were a blast. People will miss you way more than they realize. But dude, what a great blindside, eh? I mean they kicked your ass. Zero idea. Great hair at tribal council, by the way.

FINAL WORDS: I know this season has been a slow burn...but I hope you're starting to enjoy it as much as I hoped you would. Like I said, tonight was hands down my favorite episode of the season and one of my favorites of all time.
Old 04-25-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbfan
It did look like it might be manipulation. But the surpise wasn't the final knockout vote. When the second Tyson vote was read, it was over. The look on his face suggested that he knew it too.

He expected one. The second meant he was a goner, because no one would hang themselves out there unless there were a bunch more Tyson votes coming.
Yep, the second vote was the key.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Jeff Probst blogs 'Survivor: Tocantins' (episode 10)
Apr 24, 2009, 07:58 AM | by Jeff Probst

Hey all,

How good was that episode?! On a scale of 1-10, I'd love your feedback. I honestly think it's one of the best Survivor episodes ever, for the following reasons:

1. LOVED IT: The opening shot of Coach standing in the water doing his various poses — not because it's Coach but because if you really go back and look at the shot it's absolutely amazing. Our helicopter team is so good. That shot is really beautiful as it spins around him and then pulls away. It's movie good. Bet you didn't even notice it – it was that good. Go back and check.
That was a great HD moment, I must say.
Old 04-25-09, 01:23 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

How many of you were hoping that Steven would just go back and check the butt of the "tree mail" statue again?

Maybe they just put it back!

Old 04-25-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Speaking as someone who doesn't like Survivor and was stuck watching it with relatives, even I got a kick out of that ending.

Talk about O RLY???
Old 04-25-09, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Speaking as someone who doesn't like Survivor and was stuck watching it with relatives, even I got a kick out of that ending.

Talk about O RLY???
I love the "What the F is happening here?" look on Sierra's face.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.