DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The fate of your favorite TV shows (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/553746-fate-your-favorite-tv-shows.html)

Setzer 04-21-09 09:23 AM

Re: The fate of your favorite TV shows

Why isn't Earl on this list? Did NBC already renew it?? It's getting lower ratings than Chuck is.

SteveA 04-21-09 09:31 AM

I'll put in my two cents worth for The Unit. I think it's one of the best shows on TV. Always tension-filled. And Dennis Haysbert is an incredible actor.

Michael Corvin 04-21-09 09:32 AM

Re: Reaper

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 9399868)
What? No arc? How about Alan who somehow escaped the devil's contract and the devil's other son Morgan? There's definitely more arc going on than the first half of last season. Still I can see the WB canning it if Smallville comes back and Melrose Place returns.

I'll give you Alan, but they haven't gone anywhere with that storyline. Morgan is interesting, but he's just an additional character not really an actual story arc.

story 04-21-09 10:14 AM

My wife is OBSESSED with Medium and was upset to hear it's on the fifty/fifty bubble.

Spicollidriver1 04-21-09 10:22 AM

What about Flashpoint I am starting to dig that show.

Gizmo 04-21-09 10:23 AM

Fox:
Missed Terminator this season since they dumped it Mondays at 8...meaning I could never watch it. Will catch up on Blu-ray regardless if it comes back. I like Dollhouse...but I can see why Fox may can it (low ratings). It would make an awesome pairing with Fringe next season (which got renewed recently).

ABC:
The only show I watch are Lost, Castle, Scrubs and Better off Ted. Lost has 1 more season and both Scrubs and BOT are likely goners. I enjoy castle (mainly because of a man crush on Fillion like everyone else here...)

NBC:
Ugh. I love Chuck. Awesome show that the network should grow. Appeals to the taregt demographic, they can seamlessly fit in ads throughout the show (last weeks Subway one for example), great cast...don't fucking cancel it! Don't care about Life, Knight Rider, Crusoe etc.

CBS:
Have not watched the network since they canceled Moonlight. They, like NBC is they cancel Chuck, can go screw themselves.

CW:
Reaper is all but dead. Priviledged is cute...but its a bit too 'smart' for the CW. Love to see a 13 episode season though.

zoomgirl 04-21-09 10:43 AM

Reaper made many mistakes this season. Getting rid of the girlfriends of Sock and Ben, then bringing in the "sister" and beating that storyline to the ground. Getting rid of the store manager (Ted?) and making Sam's girlfriend the manager of the store. They had various backstories they could have fleshed out a little more and they just dropped them. Not a smart move, I really liked this show and bought the first season on DVD but have def been disappointed so far with this season.
And what ever happened to the backstory of the contract itself?

zoomgirl 04-21-09 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 9400073)
My wife is OBSESSED with Medium and was upset to hear it's on the fifty/fifty bubble.

I'm with your wife on this one. I think it is one of the best shows on tv that people aren't watching. Really well done and well acted, I am happy it's been on as long as it has.

rfduncan 04-21-09 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by zoomgirl (Post 9400156)
I'm with your wife on this one. I think it is one of the best shows on tv that people aren't watching. Really well done and well acted, I am happy it's been on as long as it has.

I have to agree. I really enjoy this show (though ANNOYED at having to two-parters back to back like that!:lol:). I am always surprised when they pick it up for the back half of a season... though that meant cancelling Journeyman from that timeslot. With NBC essentially reducing their primetime programming by 30% for the Leno project, it is anyone's guess what they're going to axe. Maybe because it is a Universal production? :hscratch:

macnorton 04-21-09 11:33 AM

The Unit will be back, if CBS dumps Cold Case and Without A Trace

Chuck will be on the CW if NBC drops it

Castle has a chance...and I think the Unusuals might, but I would not count on it

Privileged is gone, since the lead (Joann Garcia) was cast in another show

All the other 50/50 shows are going to get canned

mrpayroll 04-21-09 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9399278)
The Unit better return. It's one of the best shows on television.

This one really surprises me. The writing and acting has been top notch this season. It must be 100% because of $$$. It does seem to be a very expensive show to produce and even though it averages around 10M, that is not enough to give it another season.

It is one of the few shows that has actually gotten better in its 4th season. Most shows by this time are just regurgitating and same stories over and over again, but The Unit has changed completely, even losing one main character to death.

Chris

DJariya 04-21-09 12:47 PM

I think most of those CBS mentioned are in danger because of $$$$$. The article says that CBS covers pretty much all the production costs and I think they are using the economy as an excuse to make cutbacks because their profits are down due to the shitty Ad market. Plus, it's a given that when shows get older, the production costs will just continue to climb.

I think The Unit is a very expensive show judging by the sets they use to fake international locations.

Again, why is Eleventh Hour on the bubble? How is expensive it that show? There is only 2 lead characters.

DJariya 04-21-09 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1 (Post 9400097)
What about Flashpoint I am starting to dig that show.

I think Flashpoint is pretty much safe. It's produced and paid for by CTV in Canada and CBS pays them a small licensing see to air them in the U.S. I think it will probably return as a 13 episode mid-season series.

Spicollidriver1 04-21-09 12:55 PM

That's good it's a decent show for friday night fodder

Jadzia 04-21-09 12:56 PM

I think any show that is produced by an outside studio is in trouble because supposedly the producers want bigger licensing fees for the shows and the networks are hesitant to pay for them. A show with less ratings but is produced in house by the network is a safer bet than a higher rated show from an outside production studio.

mrpayroll 04-21-09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9400470)
I think The Unit is a very expensive show judging by the sets they use to fake international locations.

Fake? You mean that haven't actually filmed in Iran & Syria? :eek:

You should have spoilerized that! :mad:

Chris

mrpayroll 04-21-09 01:51 PM

One thing is for certain though, the May upfront threads in TV Talk are going to be

EXPLOSIVE!

:lol:

Chris

Neeb 04-21-09 01:56 PM

I'm hoping to see Dollhouse picked up for another season- if only to see Joss Whedon confused as hell at Comic Con.

Holly Martins 04-21-09 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by popcorntreect (Post 9399278)
the unit better return. It's one of the best shows on television.

+1!!!

the big train 04-21-09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Axeramm (Post 9399677)
Chuck airs on a different network than both of those.

I know, and indicated as such in my post. They all air on the TBT network (my TV) though, and I'm saying I'd sacrifice one for another.

mrpayroll 04-21-09 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by the big train (Post 9400978)
I know, and indicated as such in my post. They all air on the TBT network (my TV) though, and I'm saying I'd sacrifice one for another.

Hey no fair, I don't get TBT! :mad:

Chris

gmanca 04-21-09 04:43 PM

I also enjoy Medium and am surprised by it's 50/50 status. One thing that does irk me is that Allison has worked for the district attorney for a while and he still give her the "what?" face when she tells him about a dream. You'd think after all of her work, they'd pretty much take her stories at face value.

Cardiff Giant11 04-21-09 05:39 PM

Hoping Fox surprises us all and gives Terminator another shot especially after the stellar season 2 finale!

Jimmy James 04-21-09 06:54 PM

Just a couple sitcom notes...

The speculation seems to be that if NBC dumps My Name Is Earl, Fox will pick it up.

I believe ABC has already announced Scrubs is done.

Gizmo 04-21-09 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 9401262)
Just a couple sitcom notes...

The speculation seems to be that if NBC dumps My Name Is Earl, Fox will pick it up.

I believe ABC has already announced Scrubs is done.

The New Adventures of Old Christine might go to ABC is CBS cancels it as well.