Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Amazing Race 14 -- "Our Parents will Cry Themselves to Death" -- 4/19/09

Amazing Race 14

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

When birds attack! - A fishing cormorant draws blood. A throwdown at a Cluebox leads to a mat showdown. One racer's frustration with non-English speakers grows and check out the most explosive pit stop - EVER!

Looking forward to seeing China again on the show.
Old 04-19-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race 14 -- "Our Parents will Cry Themselves to Death" -- 4/19/09

So is the show going to be on time tonight?

Hope the sistahs punch the deaf guys teeth out. I saw a new preview where they were apparently making fun of him and the mom yelling at them and they just laugh.
Old 04-19-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race 14 -- "Our Parents will Cry Themselves to Death" -- 4/19/09

Luke and the one sister were both acting twatty.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 04-19-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Luke started the whole thing and then decided to take it to another level at the pit stop. Based on what they showed, it really doesn't look like the two sisters were really laughing at him and his deafness, just him and his pettiness but the Margie seemed to be pretty overprotective.

Decent leg of the episode. I did appreciate the "parents crying themselves to death" line since my parents would probably do that too if I couldn't write things in Chinese better than non-Chinese people
Old 04-19-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I think both teams were at fault for the clue box confrontations. Really, how much time do you save by getting physical at the clue box, and both Jen and Luke initiated contact.

I have to say that I agree with Jen though. Luke is a little bitch. And how he and his mother made it all about his being deaf was a bitch move.
Old 04-19-09, 08:45 PM

Really, they're all pretty much douches at this point, they aren't even really entertaining, just a bunch of whiners, every single one of them. Too bad Mike White and his dad got the boot.
Old 04-19-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tammy's a ray of sunshine compared to everyone left, except for maybe Cara, whose personality is growing on me, while Jaime's personality is rough around the edges.
Old 04-19-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Tammy's a ray of sunshine compared to everyone left, except for maybe Cara, whose personality is growing on me, while Jaime's personality is rough around the edges.
Yeah, I actually like Tammy, and Victor has improved enough during the race for me to be comfortable rooting for them.
Old 04-19-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LaKisha and Jen shoulda played the race card to counter Luke's deaf card.
Old 04-19-09, 09:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Yeah, pretty much all the teams are unlikeable at this point. Victor has been better but I'm sure he'll do something douchey the closer he gets to the finish.
Old 04-19-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

The sisters are the bigger bitches. They came into this leg with a chip on their shoulder, incorrectly thinking that mom/son screwed them earlier. Plus, they seemed to be bragging about the confrontation later. Fuck em, they were looking for a confrontation.

Last edited by cdollaz; 04-19-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

It seemed to me that Luke hip-checked Jen at the first clue box and slammed into her at the second. Plus, I think he and his mother both have a huge chip on their shoulders. as with so many other teams that include a handicapped member, they want to use Luke's deafness as a sword when it suits their needs and as a shield when that suits their needs.
Old 04-19-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrochimp
LaKisha and Jen shoulda played the race card to counter Luke's deaf card.
Margie did that just fine for them!
Old 04-19-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Did Luke really need to throw an elbow at the first clue box? It was clearly a bitch move and the mother trying to play the deaf and race card in one conversation was certainly ridiculous.
Old 04-19-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Did Luke really need to throw an elbow at the first clue box?
I think he was just raising his arms in reaction to someone on his back. It is a natural reaction that most people would have done. Both times it was a case of both people getting there at the same time and running into each other. It happens. They all need to get over it.

I do think that the sisters were smirking/laughing at the end at the pit stop. Earlier in the episode, in the cab, the young one pretty much called her shot and said she was going to laugh at him.
Old 04-19-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all pretty silly, just like how the teams kill themselves at the start of the race running to their bags like it will make any difference.
Old 04-19-09, 11:04 PM
Banned

I've never understood running toward a clue box to beat out someone else. How stupid are these people? There is zero advantage to getting there before another player. All the clues are the same, folks. It's not like you're racing to get in line to sign up and get the earliest time for something. Friggin' relax.
Old 04-19-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
I've never understood running toward a clue box to beat out someone else. How stupid are these people? There is zero advantage to getting there before another player. All the clues are the same, folks. It's not like you're racing to get in line to sign up and get the earliest time for something. Friggin' relax.
not really true. There could be a sign up for the bus leaving every 15 minutes to wherever or sign up for the bungee jump in order of who got the clue first. Those things take a lot of time and getting to the clue first could be very useful. However, knowing that the brothers started 4 hours behind and could not catch up with the flights, there wasn't much reason to be in such a hurry.
Old 04-19-09, 11:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chowderhead
not really true. There could be a sign up for the bus leaving every 15 minutes to wherever or sign up for the bungee jump in order of who got the clue first. Those things take a lot of time and getting to the clue first could be very useful. However, knowing that the brothers started 4 hours behind and could not catch up with the flights, there wasn't much reason to be in such a hurry.
If that's in the rules, it's never been explained on the show.
Old 04-19-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think he was just raising his arms in reaction to someone on his back. It is a natural reaction that most people would have done. Both times it was a case of both people getting there at the same time and running into each other. It happens. They all need to get over it.

I do think that the sisters were smirking/laughing at the end at the pit stop. Earlier in the episode, in the cab, the young one pretty much called her shot and said she was going to laugh at him.
Exactly, he didn't do anything wrong and that isn't natural or that hasn't been done countless times in other seasons.

While I think it's ridiculous that both teams made such a big deal about contact in front of a clue box, when it happens all the time and people just get over it and move on, if you absolutely had to analyze it, Luke was in position and the sister was "in the wrong" at the first box, and Luke pretty much did the same thing at the second one.

They should have just let it go.

Unlike most of you, I guess I feel like it's hard to judge what it's been like to feel like you're being picked like that under such stressful conditions as the amazing race, so I think Mom was just stressed and defending her son.

I guess more than anything I'm surprised people actually care about being called a "bitch" these days. If someone had said that to me, I might have thrown back an insult back just for good measure, but it wouldn't have upset me one bit. In 2009, "bitch" is probably no worse than jerk or dumbass.

Can't stand the sisters, Luke is annoying me, but I do like the mom's spunk and she's really carried her team with a partner that can't hear and that she kind of has to babysit. That impresses me. I'd like to see her win and keep all the money for herself. If not, I'm rooting for the cheerleaders. The brother and sister team haven't quite made up all the ground from earlier in the race when I couldn't stand them, but they're making progress.
Old 04-19-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That wonderful Cormorant pretty much sums up my feelings about this episode.
Old 04-19-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Exactly, he didn't do anything wrong and that isn't natural or that hasn't been done countless times in other seasons.

While I think it's ridiculous that both teams made such a big deal about contact in front of a clue box, when it happens all the time and people just get over it and move on, if you absolutely had to analyze it, Luke was in position and the sister was "in the wrong" at the first box, and Luke pretty much did the same thing at the second one.

They should have just let it go.

Unlike most of you, I guess I feel like it's hard to judge what it's been like to feel like you're being picked like that under such stressful conditions as the amazing race, so I think Mom was just stressed and defending her son.

I guess more than anything I'm surprised people actually care about being called a "bitch" these days. If someone had said that to me, I might have thrown back an insult back just for good measure, but it wouldn't have upset me one bit. In 2009, "bitch" is probably no worse than jerk or dumbass.

Can't stand the sisters, Luke is annoying me, but I do like the mom's spunk and she's really carried her team with a partner that can't hear and that she kind of has to babysit. That impresses me. I'd like to see her win and keep all the money for herself. If not, I'm rooting for the cheerleaders. The brother and sister team haven't quite made up all the ground from earlier in the race when I couldn't stand them, but they're making progress.
once again, Luke gets to do the easy task while leaving the strenuous one for his mother. He is a big baby and his mother coddles him way too much. I say he was acting like a bitch so he deserved to be called out on his bitchiness.
Old 04-20-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I would've laughed in Luke's face, but not because he's deaf, but for being so pissed off and annoyed. Just like what Keisha said, in competition, sometimes you smile at the other team to piss them off more.

If anything, I felt bad for Victor and Tammy for being subjected to that.
Old 04-20-09, 12:25 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

I love how pissed he was at the pitstop, the guy was purple with rage..

such a prissy bitch. I loled that the came 3rd at the pitstop, esp when Keisha and Jen won the prize.
Old 04-20-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chowderhead
once again, Luke gets to do the easy task while leaving the strenuous one for his mother. He is a big baby and his mother coddles him way too much. I say he was acting like a bitch so he deserved to be called out on his bitchiness.
That doesn't even make any sense. How Luke behaves or how his mother coddles him, didn't even have a thing to do with why he was called a bitch.

The comment was made based on his perceived pushing or elbowing at the clue box, not on his overall gameplay or lack thereof.

He did nothing wrong at the clue box, so the reaction was relatively undeserved, just as Luke's reaction to the whole incident was childish. He really didn't seem too bothered by the physical "confrontation" until his mother told him the sister called him a bitch.

Now if they thought he was a "bitch" for other reasons and wanted to say so, g-d bless them and they have every right to their opinion.

But she even clarified her comment to state is was a "bitch move" (Luke at the clue box), so, at the time it was stated, it clearly had nothing to do with anything else.

If YOU think he's a bitch, whatever the hell that means, it certainly isn't an overly specific word, then you think he's a bitch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.