Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Top 7, April 14/15 -- Songs from the Movies

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will go home this week?
Adam Lambert
0%
Allison Iraheta
0%
Anoop Desai
21.95%
Danny Gokey
7.32%
Kris Allen
2.44%
Lil Rounds
41.46%
Matt Giraud
12.20%
Nobody - the judges will use their "save"
14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The theme this week is… Idols at the Movies with guest mentor Quentin Tarantino.

Both Jennifer Hudson and Miley Cyrus will perform on Wednesday elimination night. Hudson will be performing her new single, “If This Isn’t Love”, Cyrus will do “The Climb”.

Cyrus’ performance was pre-recorded.

In other idol news, Jason Castro has signed a record deal with Atlantic Records.

And of course, who do you think will go home this week? (not who you think should, but who will)

Last edited by Heat; 04-14-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-14-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: American Idol, Top 7, April 14/15 -- Songs from the Movies

well, the only way Adam goes home is if he comes out in full drag, kisses Ryan full on the mouth and does a song from the Rocky Horror picture show. Otherwise, I think everyone except Adam and Danny are in real trouble depending on what position they sing. Anoop, Lil and potentially Kris and Matt are the most in trouble.
Old 04-14-09, 10:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seriously hope Lil gets her crap together and picks an all-out soul/r&b diva song. She has tons of choices. Whitney, Diana, Dreamgirls, and so on. Beyonce's "Listen" (from Dreamgirls) would be really good for her voice, I think.

Adam should do "Bohemian Rhapsody" again.

Danny will probably go with something like "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" (Armageddon) or "Iris" (City of Angels), but I'd love to see him take on "You're the Best" from The Karate Kid.

Anoop... "Jai Ho" is calling your name.

As for Allison, I'd love to hear her do something along the lines of "Holding Out for a Hero" from Footloose.
Old 04-14-09, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Tarantino was great as a guest judge several years ago. Not sure what he has to offer as a "mentor" though.

Considering that any song that's ever been even remotely a hit has been used in some movie somewhere, this is pretty much another "pick whatever you want" week.
Old 04-14-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I'm thinking Matt, after a couple of safe weeks, is going home. Otherwise, they'll use the save. This is the last show that it's available, right?
Old 04-14-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

the save is available up until the final four IIRC.
Old 04-14-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Adam Lambert and Danny Gokey pretty have the Top 2 slots locked up, the only question is in which order the remaining five leave.

Anoop Desai and Lil Rounds are the most likely candidates to go home tomorrow but I need to hear their song choices tonight, as well as what order they sing in (early singers have an uphill battle).

And they said that the save would be good up through the final five - as I understood it the last week they could use it was in the Final Five meaning at the Final Four stage it would be gone.

And check out Susan Boyle from Britain’s Got Talent:
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92464?fp=1
Old 04-14-09, 02:04 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

I think they'll pull the save out this week.
Old 04-14-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope either Lil or Alison does Madonna's Like a Virgin so QT can break out his dick dick dick dick dick dick dick explanation.

Please no I Will Always Love You.
Old 04-14-09, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by heat

and check out susan boyle from britain’s got talent:
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92464?fp=1
whoa!
Old 04-14-09, 07:59 PM
Banned

Anoop killed it. He keeps improving every week.

Adam was the reincarnation of Freddie Mercury tonight.

Allison & Danny were so-so. Matt & Kris were weak.

Lil has yet to perform (only 4 minutes left, so she'd better hurry!).

Can someone explain the purpose behind having four judges if only two get to talk?

Amazing that they can't get seven songs in within an hour & have the panel confine their comments to 30 seconds each (If you've ever had to give an impromptu 2-minute speech in a class, you can understand how much you can say in 30 seconds).

Edit: Bad song for Lil. Show running long again even with only two "judges" talking. Maybe they should consider just eliminating the panel altogether.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-14-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I hope either Lil or Alison does Madonna's Like a Virgin so QT can break out his dick dick dick dick dick dick dick explanation.

Please no I Will Always Love You.
How many dicks is that?
Old 04-14-09, 08:03 PM

lil sucks
Old 04-14-09, 08:03 PM

of course she would cuss out the judges
Old 04-14-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where's the 'can we start all over again' option?
Old 04-14-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with them limiting comments to two judges per contestant they STILL ran over a little. This show just cannot stay within its allotted time-slot. It was cool seeing Quentin Tarantino. I think his advice especially helped Anoop, not sure about the others though.

Allison did the impossible for me. She took one of my least favourite songs and made it genuinely enjoyable. I stand by what I have said since day one: she is the best singer in the competition, but will, unfortunately, lose to Adam or Danny. Speaking of which, I think it is really unfair of Paula to name-drop Adam as so amazing right after Allison sang, even if it was in a complementary way.

Anoop seemed back to form this week; perhaps one of the most inconsistent contestants the show has ever had. For me, he has a good week and then a bad week and very rarely does he have two good weeks in a row.

Adam did well, but with that song choice it doesn't surprise me. Simon's comment to Adam really troubles me though; it reinforces the idea that his performance last week was actually original, when it was in fact a carbon-copy of Gary Jules' version. Him taking credit for the originality of his performance absolutely disgusts me.

Matt was bad. Danny was subpar. Kris did a terrible rendition of Falling Slowly. I thought Kara's comment about the song being unknown was a little bit much; I'm sure a lot of people haven't heard it, but it did win an Academy Award.

I usually hate when the contestants talk back to the judges, but I was actually glad Lil stood up for herself. She isn't that good, but I don't think she ever gets the same criticisms or advice...ever.

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
of course she would cuss out the judges
That's unfair. This is the first time I can ever recall hearing her say one word to the judges after they critique her, and they have been pretty rough on her every week, giving her conflicting advice and trying to confine her to one specific genre.

And don't mistake my defense of her for enjoyment of her performances. I think she sucks and should have been gone a while back.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-14-09 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-14-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't understand a single word from Kris. Lil sucked. Danny sucked. I hate Adam but that was good performance.
Old 04-14-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

In other idol news, Jason Castro has signed a record deal with Atlantic Records.

Old 04-14-09, 09:17 PM

I voted that Lil will (or should) go home this week after that performance.

I disagree with the criticism of Kris. I thought he did a good job with "Falling Slowly." I'm a huge fan of Once/The Swell Season/The Frames/Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, and I thought he did the song justice. Changed it a tiny bit and while Kris doesn't have as interesting a voice as Glen, I really liked the overall effect.

I thought Allison sang better before Quentin's critique. She has a great voice, and sounded good in the preview- but during the live song she seemed to be thinking too much about hitting the big notes and wowing the audience. Still an enjoyable performance, but she may be in trouble.

Matt was a mixed bag for me. I loved parts of his performance and hated others. Again, I think the judges critique is hurting him. He's trying too hard to please them, and can't get to a place where he's comfortable and the singing is natural. I hope he works it out, as he's my personal favorite.

Danny's tone was mostly nice, but the song was a little boring. I think the added simplicity of the music just really needed that second voice to remain interesting.

Anoop was fantastic. He really is as inconsistent as everyone says, so next week he'll be incredibly awful to keep the scales balanced.

Adam reminded me why I dislike him so much. He's great at what he does- but he's a performer, not a singer. He's destined for the stage, not the studio.

Lil was all over the place. So many bad notes, and I can't remember a contestant before who chose so many bad songs in a row. I no longer remember why I liked her. I don't have a problem with her pleading her case, but she should just pick an R&B song and lay off the Bette Midler!

Having only 2 judges comment is just silly. Don't waste 5 minutes at the top of the show and tell the audience to show some respect when the judges speak.
Old 04-14-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I absolutely enjoyed Kris' performance. Best of the night for me. Once again, Danny bored me to tears...and speaking of which, why no glasses?

Lil should go home. She was horrible.
Old 04-14-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit77
How many dicks is that?
A lot.

IF someone goes home tomorrow, it will (& should) be Lil. She hasn't shown anything since the beginning and you just can't get lippy with a judge, the voting public doesn't like it.

And the judges shit all over Endless Love because no chances were taken. A couple of seasons ago, Chris Sligh did EL and changed the melody and they shit all over him too. Pick a side!

I thought Adam was easily the best of the night.
Old 04-14-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 315 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Adam did well, but with that song choice it doesn't surprise me. Simon's comment to Adam really troubles me though; it reinforces the idea that his performance last week was actually original, when it was in fact a carbon-copy of Gary Jules' version. Him taking credit for the originality of his performance absolutely disgusts me.
I listen to the Gary Jules version all the time, and I didn't think it was a carbon copy.
Old 04-14-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anoop was pure cheese.
Old 04-14-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
I listen to the Gary Jules version all the time, and I didn't think it was a carbon copy.
+1

I thought Adam's version was kind of a cross between the Tears for Fears original and the Gary Jules version.
Old 04-14-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anoop Dawg in the HOuse!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.