Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mythbusters - Seventh Season premieres on Discovery Channel

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Mythbusters - Seventh Season premieres on Discovery Channel

I wish they would have done another experiment of just straight Alcohol (no beer).

I have always heard (and can speak from personal experience) that if you drink "clean" spirits all night you will have less of a hang over the next day. "Clean" meaning straight up vodka, scotch, whiskey etc... you could cut them with water, ice, diet soda, etc..

Before they mentioned it on the show - I said to myself "If this works I'd love to see what pit crew comes out with the dimpled car for NASCAR."
Old 10-22-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad episode. The Beer vs liquor was entertaining, but pointless from the outset with such a small sample size.

I didn't think the golf dimples would work because a golf ball has a symmetrical shape and travels through the air with no set front or back. I would have thought that a car, aerodynamically designed to travel in one direction, could allow a superior drag coefficient to be obtained without uniform dimpling. I imagine modern cars with highly tuned aerodynamics, but still smooth skin, wouldn't seen such an improvement from the added dimples. I can't fault the Mythbusters for their car selection though since the myth was about the average car.
Old 11-05-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

someone needs to make light weight plastic to put over a car to give it the dimpling

and for the hurricane myth they need to study this house
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1172
Old 11-05-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This latest episode kind of blew. The frozen face stuff was really the only part worthy of the show. Awesome hurricane machine aside, Jamie and Adams segment wasn't compelling on any level.

They completely tricked me in the preview for the Xmas tree myth. From the editing, which included shots from them blowing a tree up just for fun, I thought maybe their was an unusual reaction from the electric lights and something else, but when they explained the myth I knew it was going to be lame. Who would have thought that pine trees don't explode in freezing temperatures? I'm not even sure why they measured the amount of water in the tree. Somehow more water = more explosive potential?
Old 11-26-09, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet again this week the Jamie and Adam segment blew and the build team's myth was pretty good. It seems to have gotten to the point where most of the time the build team does the actual mythbusting while Jamie and Adam just screw around. Sometimes it's entertaining screwing around, and sometimes it's not. I was so bored with the dumpster dive "myth" that I FF through their segments in the second half of the show.

Now the diving suit myth was actually good. Meat Man was just horrific and seeing the results of their test was totally worth it. Even though I like Kari it was good to get some new blood on the show with her temp replacement.
Old 11-26-09, 03:44 AM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Yet again this week the Jamie and Adam segment blew and the build team's myth was pretty good.
I'm starting to hate any segment with Adam. The stupid British accent. Riding a unicycle. Giggling like a moron. What a tool.
Old 11-26-09, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The stupid British accent.
i was going to post about that last week. it is not in the least bit funny.
personally though i can handle adam more than i can tori, grant and carrie. they just annoy the hell out of me.
Old 11-27-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

watching it now
the dive myth seems busted right off the bat
the air would be putting as much pressure on the diver as it is putting against the force of the water
Old 11-27-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chino77
i was going to post about that last week. it is not in the least bit funny.
personally though i can handle adam more than i can tori, grant and carrie. they just annoy the hell out of me.
I haven't hit the point of being too annoyed with any of them, but I think Adam would be the most interesting to have a beer or two with
Old 11-27-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and now it looks like I might have been wrong. even at 15 feet it squished it
although gelatin isn't exactly like human flesh
Old 11-27-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh yeah, life size was definitely confirmed
even the helmet was partially deformed
Old 11-28-09, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No comments on Kari's temporary replacement? Cute and not too annoying, but I would have preferred bringing back Scottie or one of the mythterns.
Old 11-28-09, 04:52 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
No comments on Kari's temporary replacement? Cute and not too annoying, but I would have preferred bringing back Scottie or one of the mythterns.
I thought she sort of had a "pig face"... so, not hot.
Old 11-28-09, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

She was easy on the eyes(she's no Kari), but obviously needs more time to develop some character/chemistry with the crew.

The dumpster diving was atrocious. At the point where they went to Waste Management and realized that 99.9% of dumpsters have 'lethal' materials, they should have called the myth busted and moved on to another myth. There was no reason to test jumping into foam. How retarded. Who would have ever thought jumping into foam would be survivable?

The dive suit myth on the other hand was excellent, if a bit disturbing with the blood and body parts oozing into the dive helmet.

I've been watching a ton of old episodes, whatever happened to Scottie anyway?
Old 11-28-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aintnosin
She's the same girl that comes on Saturday mornings on one of those hot rod shows where they build some crazy 4x4 every couple of weeks. Ah yes Extreme 4x4 on Spike.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...ssi-combs.html
Old 11-29-09, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The dumpster diving was atrocious. At the point where they went to Waste Management and realized that 99.9% of dumpsters have 'lethal' materials, they should have called the myth busted and moved on to another myth.
I agree. But a bigger problem I had was that all the Dumpsters they were looking at were oversized construction-site Dumpsters. No wonder they were filled with wood, glass and other problem materials. How about checking out some "normal" Dumpsters, like you'd find outside the average apartment or office building. you know, the ones filled with bags of trash, not construction debris.
Old 11-30-09, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
She's the same girl that comes on Saturday mornings on one of those hot rod shows where they build some crazy 4x4 every couple of weeks. Ah yes Extreme 4x4 on Spike.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...ssi-combs.html
I think she has not been on that show for a while now. They just have the one male dude for the whole show now. I wonder how long she will be on Mythbusters.
Old 12-01-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The dive / meat man myth was one of the coolest I have seen in a while !

They did blow the dumpster myth... they could have put a shock sticker on Buster, and just dropped him a couple of times into random dumpsters both commercial and residential dumpsters (mostly bags of household garbage / boxes). But I forgot, they couldn't get dressed up like NEO and waste 20 minutes if they did that.
Old 12-01-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kenage
I think she has not been on that show for a while now. They just have the one male dude for the whole show now. I wonder how long she will be on Mythbusters.
It's kind of silly that she's even on unless Kari is taking an extended leave and not the normal 3 months. The season is wrapping up, they couldn't have filmed the last 3 episodes with just Grant and Tori? Or worked Adam and Jamie into the mix like they used to?
Old 12-01-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's kind of silly that she's even on unless Kari is taking an extended leave and not the normal 3 months. The season is wrapping up, they couldn't have filmed the last 3 episodes with just Grant and Tori? Or worked Adam and Jamie into the mix like they used to?
they needed some eye candy to replace kari. when they couldnt find any they figured they would just hire this girl.
Old 12-28-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The seventh season finale airs tonight. The first couple of episodes of season eight will also be on Mondays, starting on January 4.

I don't believe this is a permanent change.
Old 12-28-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,372 Likes on 934 Posts

Are you sure it's the finale? I heard there were 2 more episodes on Mondays. This week and next week. Unless it's one big 2 hour episode.
Old 12-28-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm pretty sure there are two left as well. They've been promoting the hell out of it.
Old 12-29-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's too bad about Erik Gates. He was there for the original rocket car test as well as other major Mythbusters moments.
Old 12-29-09, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Received 725 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by the big train
That's too bad about Erik Gates. He was there for the original rocket car test as well as other major Mythbusters moments.
For those wondering...

http://ontheflix.com/2009/12/28/myth...-30-feet-fall/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.