Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mythbusters - Seventh Season premieres on Discovery Channel

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mythbusters - Seventh Season premieres on Discovery Channel

"The seventh season of MYTHBUSTERS, the popular Discovery Channel series that uses science to uncover the truth behind popular myths and legends is blasting into your living rooms on April 8 and this year, their experiments range from the huge (sonic booms, anyone?) to the household (to double dip, or not to double dip?). Ten all-new high-definition episodes of MYTHBUSTERS will air in a row, Wednesdays at 9PM ET/PT beginning April 8 with a two-hour Demolition Derby Special."

sneak peek
Old 04-08-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mythbusters - Seventh Season premieres on Discovery Channel

I wonder how Kari's bun in the oven will affect her role in the show.
Old 04-08-09, 02:22 PM

Have to catch the re-airing later in the night. Wish they wouldn't put this up against Lost.
Old 04-08-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
Have to catch the re-airing later in the night. Wish they wouldn't put this up against Lost.
Ahh, the joys of the east coast feed in HD. The 9pm airing is actually at 6pm for me.
Old 04-09-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that was a pretty good episode.

The helicopter drop was very anti-climatic and really not worth the effort, as was the explosive fusing of metal, but both of those "experiments" had some cool stuff earlier like the rocket sled and dropping cars with the crane.

The best moment was seeing Kari look really freaked out after the car jumped the stop barrier. It looked like she thought there was a school playground on the other side and she was seeing her career flash before her eyes.

Old 04-09-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
The helicopter drop was very anti-climatic and really not worth the effort, as was the explosive fusing of metal, but both of those "experiments" had some cool stuff earlier like the rocket sled and dropping cars with the crane.
I though getting a remote-controlled car up to 105mph was the cool part, as was the control rig for the bus.

Next I want to see them try the bus jump from Speed.
Old 04-09-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I saw the rocket sled at the beginning of the episode I thought they were going to do something from the movie Terminal Velocity. By far, my favorite moment was the high-speed shot of the car vaporizing from the impact of the rocket sled.
Old 04-09-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

nice to have mad max mentioned, but the car didn't continue on after it hit the trailer, it was wrecked enough at that point to be out of the chase plus that's the crash that slit Charlie's throat and resulted in him having to use one of those electronic voice box things

it also caught some air (likely from the torn up road on the right hand side) before impact as it comes out through the wall above where the frame would be on the bottom

Last edited by mikehunt; 04-09-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I though getting a remote-controlled car up to 105mph was the cool part, as was the control rig for the bus.

Next I want to see them try the bus jump from Speed.
I wish they would have done a few more runs with the bus to build up and find out what it takes to make it flip.
Old 04-11-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm really looking forward to next weeks Alaska Week episode. One of the myths was tested in my town, and I got to be there for the filming (had to sign a release and everything) as part of the safety crew. I know the results of the test, but I'm excited to see how it shows up on screen. I don't think I'll show up though, they seemed to try very hard to keep anything extraneous out of the shots.
Old 04-11-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
I'm really looking forward to next weeks Alaska Week episode. One of the myths was tested in my town, and I got to be there for the filming (had to sign a release and everything) as part of the safety crew. I know the results of the test, but I'm excited to see how it shows up on screen. I don't think I'll show up though, they seemed to try very hard to keep anything extraneous out of the shots.
They're doing another Alaska episode? Cool!
Old 04-11-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i liked it. i'm not sure the 2 hour format works for this show as they seem to include way too much filler.
Old 04-11-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are they all going to be 2 hours long this season? Next week's is also 2-hours, according to my TiVo.
Old 04-12-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
The best moment was seeing Kari look really freaked out after the car jumped the stop barrier. It looked like she thought there was a school playground on the other side and she was seeing her career flash before her eyes.
Best part

My DVR was showing two hours for the SharkWeek 2 repeat. Second Alaska Week special should be a regular hour.
Old 04-12-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I don't watch the show regularly, but sometimes I tune in briefly just to get a glimpse of my dream woman.
Old 04-12-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Nothing beats the DUST that car was turning into as the rocket sled plowed through it. And the "explosive welding" looked like an open portal into hell itself.

I love Mythbusters. And Kari. And her pregnant boobs.
Old 05-14-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been enjoying the season so far, but last night's episode was just sloppy.

The bumper was going pretty good until they just gave up and decided to use gunpowder. I also don't get why they would call it "busted" even though they talked to someone who had her legs broken because it happened. The fundamental premise of the myth was confirmed, even if it didn't go their arbitrary 50ft. Hell, in their real world example it ripped off it's half of the bumper, shattered two legs and still went 15 ft. Besides, how can it be busted when it's been caught on video:

As an experiment the build team's myth was largely a waste of time and an excuse to get them on horseback and to build the crossbow jeep. It would have been a fun segment if the myth they were testing had any chance of being confirmed, or interesting. Also, they skipped the part where they "replicated the results". They should have seen how fast they would have had to be "riding" to get double the penetration.
Old 05-14-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm normally forgiving but this episode seemed pretty lazy. They called both myths busted even though the meat of both myths was effectively true. Bumpers can explode and injure people and, even though they couldn't duplicate it, the did confirm it by way of the (cute) female firefighter. So what if it didn't fly 50 feet?

And the build team did confirm that galloping horses did in fact increase the penetration of arrows. It wasn't double, but any idiot would have guessed that going in. Unless the horse is galloping at more than twice the speed of the arrow at launch, you're not going to double anything.

They effectively proved that there is some truth to both myths.
Old 05-14-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

you thought that woman firefighter was cute?
Old 05-14-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
you thought that woman firefighter was cute?
You didn't?
Old 05-14-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

they have one of those silver fire suits and never do they use the gloves

well last night adam got burned, literally
Old 05-15-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin

They effectively proved that there is some truth to both myths.
But that happens from time to time. They try and replicate the myth to the T. If they can't they call it busted. Some doesn't cut it.

Most recently, the Macgyver thing they did a couple weeks ago. He used the gun powder from 6 bullets and blast a door open by using the butt of the gun. Did they get it to work? Sure, but it took more gunpowder than Macgyver showed, so it was busted even though it's possible to do what he did in the show.

Overall though it was one of the weaker episodes. The archery thing had promise, but fell flat.
Old 05-15-09, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This one appears to pass the 50 foot test, but I guess because the entire bumper didn't come off in one piece the myth is "busted".

More than just the final ruling, they were lazy in their experiment. It seems obvious the production team though they could get a cylinder to explode fairly easily so they only scheduled an afternoon in the shop for Adam and Jamie to monkey around. When it didn't happen they just called it busted and went to the explosives. Since we know this happens they most likely got the wrong bumpers or the safety features fail on occasion, which is something they normally try to recreate. And it's not as if they didn't have enough time in the show, they wasted over 5 minutes of show time setting a car on fire (with little to show for it) when they could have just asked any firefighter or used google.
Old 05-15-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone a member on their forums?
I think you need to post those two videos

can't be too rare if there are at least 2 separate youtube vids showing it happening in real life
Old 05-15-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Its weird how much this show has changed. Its like everything they spout now is a pre-written, overly enthusiastic, goofy line.

I much prefer the eps from say the 3rd and 4th seasons when they got more natural in front of the camera, had ditched the "myth expert lady," added the team, and the show was more built on natural interaction rather than everyone spouting hyperbole every other minute.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.