Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Name the most OFF-PUTTING or INSENSITIVE thing "FAMILY GUY" ever did/said...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-08-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off the top of my head, when Stewie had the bully who stole his trike all tied up in the basement....Lois comes down, asks what he's doing. Stewie says, "we're just playing house." Lois comments: "he's all tied up..."

Stewie says, "Roman Polanski's house."

Ooooh! Low blow to the victims of Manson's Family.
Old 04-08-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Name the most OFF-PUTTING or INSENSITIVE thing "FAMILY GUY" ever did/said...

The Prom Night Dumpster Baby musical comes to mind. Most of the offensive crap is just one liners, but this one seemed to go on for ever.
Old 04-08-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Name the most OFF-PUTTING or INSENSITIVE thing "FAMILY GUY" ever did/said...

When Fox told Seth McFarlane that Family Guy was renewed for more seasons.
Old 04-08-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That recent episode where Peter asked William Shatner about his drowned wife was pretty bad.
Old 04-08-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lost, underwater city of New Orleans.
Old 04-08-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That would be mine as well.
Old 04-08-09, 12:42 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

The Grim Reaper: "I caught Flo-Jo, what makes you think I can't catch you?"
Old 04-08-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, even God couldn't put a stop to Seth McFarlane, as he was supposed to perish in 9/11, but skipped his doomed flight or something in that regard (I'm not suggesting he walked away from the crash - that would be too much).
Old 04-08-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

9/11 thing:

On the morning of September 11, 2001, MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston, Massachusetts, after delivering a keynote speech at his alma mater. MacFarlane has stated that his travel agent had given him an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.)[72] and that he had been suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations.[73] As a result, he arrived at Logan International Airport sometime around 8:20 and was unable to board the flight after being told that the gates had been closed.[72] Fifteen minutes after departure, American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked,[74] and at 8:46 a.m. was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, with no survivors.[75]
I still enjoy Family Guy and don't get a majority of the complaints, but whatever floats your boat. I can't say I've seen anything that stands out as particularly off-putting or insensitive, a lot of low blows but thats about it.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-08-09 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The barbershop number Peter leads in singing the song "You have (full-blown) AIDS" to a man in the hospital.
Old 04-08-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

that isn't what family guy did or said that was offensive, that was fox.
I'm not agreeing this was insensitive just going by the op's intent of the thread title.
Old 04-08-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched one a few weeks ago. It's done really fast so you have to pay attention but Peter, talking about William Shatner, says something about him drowning his wife.

Amazing what they get away with...

[Edit] Never mind -- I see someone else beat me to it.
Old 04-08-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
The barbershop number Peter leads in singing the song "You have (full-blown) AIDS" to a man in the hospital.
This is the moment when my wife decided that she hated Family Guy.
Old 04-08-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That shaken baby syndrome joke from that OJ episode was terrible.
Old 04-08-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Peter blowing up the children's hospital instead of the rival brewery.

Stewie..
Spoiler:

killing the "new" Brian. Wouldn't be so bad if they left out the blood trail behind the trash bag.
Old 04-08-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
That's the first thing that popped into my head, probably because it was one of the first times when I thought they went "too far". Now, considering some of the stuff they've done since, I think it's rather tame.
Old 04-08-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The incident were Peter gets in bed with Chris believing it is Lois, and what follows is basically child abuse.... I forgot what episode, but they even mention this in the commentary...
Old 04-09-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about when Quagmire murders the Homer Simpson family after banging Marge.
Old 04-09-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MacFarlane has stated that his travel agent had given him an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.)[72] and that he had been suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations.[73] As a result, he arrived at Logan International Airport sometime around 8:20 and was unable to board the flight after being told that the gates had been closed.
Proof that alcohol saves lives.
Old 04-09-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
That shaken baby syndrome joke from that OJ episode was terrible.
I thought the entire OJ episode was poor taste.
Old 04-09-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The depiction of Jesus as some douchebag tail-chaser.
Old 04-09-09, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to say that the resolution of the recent Meg Becomes a Christian episode was the most off-putting moment to me (though not necessarily offensive).
There are lots of really well reasoned, interesting arguments for and against the existence of a God but Brian’s reasoning (and the fact that it worked) was just idiotic. For something that seemed like it was trying to be genuine, it was the sort of reasoning a five year old would try to use. What a cop out!
Old 04-09-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The very fact that Seth Mc escaped CERTAIN HORRIBLE TERRIFYING DEATH the way he did .......... had it been me, I would have become a religious fanatic, I reckon. There's no way I could ever be the same, or overlook how close I came...........

............yet Seth went and crashed an airplane on one episode which crashed into a school, which resulted in burning children screaming from the wreckage........then burning rabbits............

Look, I laughed, okay? It was funny, what the hell - i'm a freak. I'm just saying...had I survived not being involved directly with 9/11, you can rest assured I would not continue making light of tragedies?
Old 04-09-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
The very fact that Seth Mc escaped CERTAIN HORRIBLE TERRIFYING DEATH the way he did .......... had it been me, I would have become a religious fanatic, I reckon. There's no way I could ever be the same, or overlook how close I came...........

............yet Seth went and crashed an airplane on one episode which crashed into a school, which resulted in burning children screaming from the wreckage........then burning rabbits............

Look, I laughed, okay? It was funny, what the hell - i'm a freak. I'm just saying...had I survived not being involved directly with 9/11, you can rest assured I would not continue making light of tragedies?
(from Wikipedia) --> "The only reason it hasn’t really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn’t really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact, it was sobering, but people have a lot of close calls; you’re crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car… this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can’t let it affect me because I’m a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head."
Old 04-09-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure we face death every day - the only difference is the news doesn't broadcast it later in the day like it did in Seth's case.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.