Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 8, April 7 & 8. Songs From the Year They Were Born

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will go home after Week 8?
Adam Lambert
2.08%
Allison Iraheta
2.08%
Anoop Desai
12.50%
Danny Gokey
2.08%
Kris Allen
2.08%
Lil Rounds
16.67%
Matt Giraud
0%
Scott McIntyre
60.42%
Nobody - Judges will use their "save"
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol Top 8, April 7 & 8. Songs From the Year They Were Born

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: American Idol Top 8, April 7 & 8. Songs From the Year They Were Born

Originally Posted by Flave
He did no such thing. As others have already mentioned, he just copied Gary Jules cover of this song almost verbatim. He did nothing original whatsoever.

BTW, I don't know how many of you remember it but the original Tears For Fears version of "Mad World" is truly bizarre. It's a song with a very downbeat message yet TFF did it very upbeat. Leaves you very conflicted. FWIW, I think that Jules' version is much better than the original and is now the definitive version.

[Edit] Is it just me or does anyone else feel like bitch-slapping Kara into the middle of next week every time she talks about "being an ARTIST"?
Well, I have no clue who Gary Jules is nor have I ever heard his cover. So, for me I thought Adam's performance was good.

I recall the something similar happened a few years ago when Chris Daughtry did Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" and I thought he did an awesome job as well, but everyone starting bashing him because they thought he ripped off Live's version.
Old 04-08-09, 05:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, I have no clue who Gary Jules is nor have I ever heard his cover.
I would argue that it's more famous than the original version. It first showed up in Donnie Darko and since it's been featured on a ton of movies and television shows, and was part of the promotional push for Gears of War.
Old 04-08-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of Adam's song. Didn't get what all the applause was for nor did I get Simon's standing ovation.

I liked Allison's performance and I always loved that Bonnie Raitt song. Surprises me when I hear people who dislike that song.

Anoop was pretty good. As good as the original? No way.

Lil Round and Matt don't know what direction they want to go in. I think Matt is only going the R&B way to appease the judges and thus the fans.
Old 04-08-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

I recall the something similar happened a few years ago when Chris Daughtry did Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" and I thought he did an awesome job as well, but everyone starting bashing him because they thought he ripped off Live's version.
It pretty much happened every week with David Cook.
Old 04-08-09, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i miss looking at megan
Old 04-08-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by tucker
i miss looking at megan
I don't, but mainly because those damn tatts on her right arm were such a turnoff.
Old 04-08-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I would argue that it's more famous than the original version. It first showed up in Donnie Darko and since it's been featured on a ton of movies and television shows, and was part of the promotional push for Gears of War.
I know a lot of people who thought it was Micheal Stipe.
Old 04-08-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

OK this this save thing is just f'ing cruel. Scott's up there basically begging to stay. I'm not a fan of kicking these people twice in one night. "The audience doesn't like you and we don't either"
Old 04-08-09, 09:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Got it right again!

Sad to "see" him go.
Old 04-08-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Oh, glorious day!

He's finally gone.

We don't have to look at his eyes and that uncomfortable smile anymore.

Not to mention listen to his awesome voice.
Old 04-08-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was Scott's time to go, but to his credit I think his performance tonight was much better than the one he gave yesterday.

Was glad to see Allison not in the Bottom Three for a change. I am convinced that the judges willhave to use the save on her sometime soon despite her being the most talented singer in the competition.

It's a shame that Adam is getting such praise for that rendition of the song, He sounded great, but it seems as though people are giving him credit for such an original rendition, but as I said before and as others have pointed out, it was a subpar copy of Gary Jules' cover. It was in no way original.
Old 04-08-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scott was a good singer, but it was his time to go.

I am really suprised that keeping him was such a debate among the judges, I guess I "saw" things differently.
Old 04-08-09, 11:44 PM

Regarding the whole "save" thing... okay, first off, I think the whole save thing exists for good television, nothing more. It creates that awkward moment, and if they use the save, they won't have that awkward tv moment lingering anymore. I do not believe the judges truly intend to use that save.

When the judges said tonight they would consider saving 1 or 2 of the bottom 3, I thought that was a crock of ****. Anoop is inconsistent at best, Lil can't seem to find herself, and Scott's time was clearly up. So then Scott's in the bottom, and Simon claims they're split 2/2? Undecided? Really? C'mon!

We all knew that Simon was going to send Scott home, but instead of just coming right out and doing it, the judges sat around and fake deliberated, leaving Scott there to twist and turn, clinging to some hope that wasn't ever really there. There was no need for them to deliberately extend Scott's misery, yet that's exactly what they did. I was pretty ticked off with the way Scott's exit was handled and found it completely disrespectful, almost mocking.

I agree that he should've been the one to go home tonight; I just think it was handled very poorly.
Old 04-09-09, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
Oh, glorious day!

He's finally gone.

We don't have to look at his eyes and that uncomfortable smile anymore.

Not to mention listen to his awesome voice.
We'll never get to see him get behind the wheel in one of the Ford commercials
Old 04-09-09, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
When the judges said tonight they would consider saving 1 or 2 of the bottom 3, I thought that was a crock of ****. Anoop is inconsistent at best, Lil can't seem to find herself, and Scott's time was clearly up. So then Scott's in the bottom, and Simon claims they're split 2/2? Undecided? Really? C'mon!

We all knew that Simon was going to send Scott home, but instead of just coming right out and doing it, the judges sat around and fake deliberated, leaving Scott there to twist and turn, clinging to some hope that wasn't ever really there. There was no need for them to deliberately extend Scott's misery, yet that's exactly what they did. I was pretty ticked off with the way Scott's exit was handled and found it completely disrespectful, almost mocking.

I agree that he should've been the one to go home tonight; I just think it was handled very poorly.
Well, it was pretty safe to say that the girls probably were the 2 who wanted to keep him alive for another week. So there was a reason why it wasn't an easy decision to make but it had to unanimous so that was reason enough not to use it. If they were going to use the save at all like Simon said, I think Lil Round had a better shot at getting it if she had received the least number of votes.
Old 04-09-09, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Well, it was pretty safe to say that the girls probably were the 2 who wanted to keep him alive for another week. So there was a reason why it wasn't an easy decision to make but it had to unanimous so that was reason enough not to use it. If they were going to use the save at all like Simon said, I think Lil Round had a better shot at getting it if she had received the least number of votes.
Lil Rounds will probably be the next to go... She has been bad the past 3 to 4 weeks. She must be pulling in a certain type of vote to not have been in the bottom 3 until last night. She is out of her league.
Old 04-09-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got to say that I think the judges are the contestant's biggest hinderances. They are always going against everything they say. One week it's "Be wacky", the next week it's "Don't be wacky". I don't know how these constestants can keep up with their conflicting advice. And with four judges all doing the same thing - just utter chaos.
Old 04-09-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show now officially sucks! I have never bought an album from an AI contestant and have always disliked the music but have always watched the show just because...

...I am losing interest. I can't stand it anymore. Nobody is "really" good. Sure, some are decent-good at karaoke but is there really any "art" to this? Even those that are labeled as different (ie Adam Lambert) have totally ripped their versions of these "different" songs from the likes of Jeff Buckley and Gary Jules...they were the ones who were creative...he is just a rip off artist.

Megan was not the best singer but at least I was always curious as to what she would try/do next and how she would express herself. I am quickly losing interest in this show!
Old 04-09-09, 01:59 PM

It was sad to see Scott leaving, but honestly he wouldn't have won the entire competition. I am glad he made it to the Top 10 at least so he can be on the summer tour. He really has achieved some amazing stuff through this experience. Man, I can't believe Anoop keep being in the bottom 3! I hope he steps it up next week because I do like him!
Old 04-09-09, 02:42 PM

I'm happy to see Scott leave while he still has an ounce of dignity left. Those few power notes in "The Search is Over" were painful to listen to. That said, I'd rather hear him sing over and over than hear that Kelly Pickler "performance" again.

And since I brought her up- does she now have more "new" parts than original parts in her body. That nose was so fake looking, and I wouldn't even recognize her if I saw her out and about somewhere.

Few random thoughts- the Idol group number sounded and looked live this week. There were some off key notes and everything! Why was Frankie Avalon on American Idol? I can't decide who felt more out of place- him or Flo Rida. I kept waiting for Simon to tell Frankie his performance was "terribly old-fashioned!" I didn't understand one word FloRida said, sans the chorus which seemed too suggestive for a family show at 8pm.
Old 04-09-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone notice that they actually sang the group song last night instead of lip syncing it?

i could be wrong but it seemed real.
Old 04-09-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sucks that they dragged it out on Scott. I mean, no way Simon would let him go thru. They shouldn't keep him hanging that long. in fact, they should've just told him upfront he was going home before singing his song.
Old 04-09-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Anyone notice that they actually sang the group song last night instead of lip syncing it?

i could be wrong but it seemed real.
Yeah, I caught that too. You could really tell when Allison was singing, since she has a tendancy to hit some stuff too hard into the mic. Plus there were several dud notes as Renee mentioned above.
Old 04-09-09, 09:38 PM

This should be interesting...

Next Week's American Idol Theme....

Next week, the Top 7 finalists – Kris Allen, Anoop Desai, Matt Giraud, Danny Gokey, Allison Iraheta, Adam Lambert and Lil Rounds – take the stage Tuesday, April 14 (8:00-9:01 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) to perform songs of the cinema under the guidance of director Quentin Tarantino in an “Idols at the Movies”-themed performance show.

Tune in the following night Wednesday, April 15 (9:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) to find out if the judges use their save or if America sends another finalist home. Also, Season Three finalist Jennifer Hudson returns to the IDOL stage to perform her new single, “If This Isn’t Love,” and Miley Cyrus will sing “The Climb” from “Hannah Montana: The Movie.”

Quentin Tarantino was a guest judge for Season 3’s Top 8 movie theme. He’s a total American Idol geek, so this should be a lot of fun.

What do you think? Any ideas on what the Idols should sing?

Source
Old 04-10-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Renee
\
Few random thoughts- the Idol group number sounded and looked live this week. There were some off key notes and everything! Why was Frankie Avalon on American Idol? I can't decide who felt more out of place- him or Flo Rida. I kept waiting for Simon to tell Frankie his performance was "terribly old-fashioned!"
I didn't notice. Nearly all those group performances are borefeasts for me.

Frankie Avalon had a hit with Venus the year Simon Cowell was born, 1959. His live performance was a surprise for Cowell.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.