Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Whatever Happened, Happened" -- 4/1/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Whatever Happened, Happened" -- 4/1/09

Ellie was the girl who had a gun at Daniel and Charlotte until Sawyer came (Judhead episode). So in the future, she's the old lady who met Desmond and told everyone how to get back?
Old 04-01-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Future Kate looks great!

If young Ben is going to lose his memory, how did old Ben have memories (in an earlier season) of his Dad being a dick to him in Darmaville when he was a kid?

Why aren't Jack, Kate, Sayid and Hurley wondering where the hell Sun, Ben and Frank are? They were all on the same plane.

Why has Jin stopped looking for Sun?

Where are Rose and Bernard and the rest of the people on the beach? They traveled to 1977 too, right?

How can Miles and Hurley die in 1977 if they're alive in 2007? I didn't understand Miles' explanation. (The time travel logic in BTTF always made sense to me, but the time travel logic in this show doesn't.)

Is there any point storywise for Jack to be sans chest hair in the flash fowards and when he's back on the island, or is it just a personal preference of Matthew Fox? In earlier seasons, the dude had chest hair, but soon after Juliet removed his appendix we saw him in a flash forward without it. Same with tonight's episode. The only reason I can think of that relates it to the story is to show he has no scar from the appendectomy. Is it meant to show us the island healed him completely?

Who is Ellie? Is that short for Eloise?
Ellie

She's from when they flashed back to the 1950's. A young Charles Widmore was with them at that point as well.

Ben's dad continued being a dick to him well into Ben's adulthood.

Can't answer you on why they aren't wondering about Sun, Frank, Ben, (AND don't forget Locke!)...I kind of wondered myself...I guess I figured they have enough to deal with right now to stop and think about all that quite yet.

There are those who theorize that Rose and Bernard are dead and are now Adam and Eve in the cave.

I can totally wrap my head around what Miles was saying about time travel...for Ben, the future HAS to happen. His course in time is apparently set because we know he becomes the leader and yada yada yada. But if Hurley died in 1977, there's still toddler Hurley in the United States growing up into the fat, insane dude that's going to get on flight 815 in the future. Same with the rest of them. So if adult Hurley gets killed in 1977, it has no bearing on young Hurley in America. Same if Rose and Bernard actually did die in the past and crawled into the cave to die...they were still children somewhere in that same time period and grew up, met each other, got on the flight, and all that good stuff. Pretty simple, if you ask me!

I have no idea about Jack's body hair. Why does his beard stubble never grow either?
Old 04-01-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Ellie was the girl who had a gun at Daniel and Charlotte until Sawyer came (Judhead episode). So in the future, she's the old lady who met Desmond and told everyone how to get back?
Dude, I didn't even connect that at first. That just blew my mind!
Old 04-01-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Ellie

She's from when they flashed back to the 1950's. A young Charles Widmore was with them at that point as well.

Ben's dad continued being a dick to him well into Ben's adulthood.

Can't answer you on why they aren't wondering about Sun, Frank, Ben, (AND don't forget Locke!)...I kind of wondered myself...I guess I figured they have enough to deal with right now to stop and think about all that quite yet.

There are those who theorize that Rose and Bernard are dead and are now Adam and Eve in the cave.

I can totally wrap my head around what Miles was saying about time travel...for Ben, the future HAS to happen. His course in time is apparently set because we know he becomes the leader and yada yada yada. But if Hurley died in 1977, there's still toddler Hurley in the United States growing up into the fat, insane dude that's going to get on flight 815 in the future. Same with the rest of them. So if adult Hurley gets killed in 1977, it has no bearing on young Hurley in America. Same if Rose and Bernard actually did die in the past and crawled into the cave to die...they were still children somewhere in that same time period and grew up, met each other, got on the flight, and all that good stuff. Pretty simple, if you ask me!

I have no idea about Jack's body hair. Why does his beard stubble never grow either?
Now I get it. Your explanation about time travel makes sense. Thanks!
Old 04-01-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude, I didn't even connect that at first. That just blew my mind!
Are we certain that Ellie and Eloise are one in the same?
Old 04-02-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Are we certain that Ellie and Eloise are one in the same?
I didn't see any mention of it in Ellie's Lostpedia entry. Though people on the forums over there are contemplating she is Charles' sister.
Old 04-02-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The only way I will accept this time travel is if the time periods are running concurrently and lets say that Hurley removed himself (physically) from what is the present time and went back to the 70s where he is now. I can't buy that there will be two physical incarnations of Hurley existing in two different time periods at the same time. The whole time travel bit is quite confusing to me.
Old 04-02-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't see any mention of it in Ellie's Lostpedia entry. Though people on the forums over there are contemplating she is Charles' sister.
Some people that post here thought Ellie is Eloise since that episode aired. And I think tonight it hinted that Ellie and Widmore are a couple making Widmore the father of Faraday.
Old 04-02-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved Miles and Hurley conversation. Kate looked hot in the future, etc.

I think they explained everything really well about time travel, the only pending question was why Ben didn't remembered Sayid in 2004, and they answered that in the last minute. (I'm supposing little Ben doesn't see them again).
Old 04-02-09, 01:07 AM

I love how jack is starting to just believe. funny how when he should not have saved ben, he does but now when he should save him, he doesn't. just think if jack was the jack of old, full of compassion, he would save young ben's life and in doing so would've changed things for the better. young ben would've been a good kid growing up, no purging, and never becoming an "other". least we know why ben doesn't remember sayid during their first encounter. smokey or whatever mind wiped him. I never cared for kate's flashbacks and of course this one was another "i could care less" flashback. I love how miles is the new "old" sawyer.
Old 04-02-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great episode (though not the season's best), but the whole "Ben won't remember any of this and will lose his innocence" thing was a little too convenient. Especially the amnesia part of it. I kind of preferred the idea that he'd always known Sayid would shoot him as a child and went along with it anyway, because (as the episode title states), "whatever happened, happened."

I know a lot of people here liked the Hurley/Miles conversation, but to me, it rang false. Hurley's the fanboy/geek element of the show. IMO, he should have been the one explaining it to Miles, not the other way around. Then again, Hurley didn't understand the plot holes in BTTF, so...whatever. It's a minor gripe and I totally won't care about it tomorrow, but it was bugging me as of the writing of this post.
Old 04-02-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing everything Miles said was told to him by Faraday.
Old 04-02-09, 02:04 AM

they can't change anything because when they think they are, they are just doing what they would've done originally. jack and sayid being smart thinking that if they do what thinks will change history, is just what makes events turn out the same way as they did. I think sayid is the one that will die. he realizes after ben lives, what he did was what made ben turn out the way he did. jack should feel like an idiot too after what sawyer and kate will tell them about what went down. but then again, how would they know since what they thought they were doing was "course correcting".
Old 04-02-09, 02:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raul3
I think they explained everything really well about time travel, the only pending question was why Ben didn't remembered Sayid in 2004, and they answered that in the last minute.
Clearly, Ben's memories were not all erased since he still remembers his Dad. If you watch the 'Previously On' segment when Ben tells Sayid he's always been a killer, that tells me that he remembers getting shot as a kid and perhaps killed by him.

The only thing Ben was reacting to at the end was the fact that Locke was reincarnated. This makes his murder of him all the more sadistic.
Old 04-02-09, 02:21 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm waiting for the Aliens to arrive next
Old 04-02-09, 02:33 AM

I liked the whole BTTF reference, but LOST is using different time travel rules, so you really can't compare the two.

But this isn't that complicated to figure out if we and the writers keep the rules true. I just hope they don't cheat for sake of the story or plot.
Old 04-02-09, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I the only one that didn't like this episode? Everyone except Jack went out of their way to save Ben even though they all hated him. It's like the writers made everyone act out of character so they could stay true to their time travel rules of whatever happened, happened. Don't get me wrong; I don't want Ben dead, at least not yet, he's one of the best characters on the show. But, to have Juliet, Kate, and Sawyer deliver him to the others knowing what would happen, why?
Old 04-02-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I want to see what's inside the temple!!!!

And as far as I'm concerned: Kate is future, past or whatever....
Old 04-02-09, 09:55 AM

very small and minor, but did anyone else get bothered by the fact that Jack got out of the shower and put on a shirt without drying himself off first? It's a small thing but it made me feel bleehhhhhhh, all damp and clammy and defeats whole purpose of shower.

Granted Juliet was standing right in front of him so I can see his hurry to put clothes on but still..
Old 04-02-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
Ben's face at the end and Hurley and Miles's chat were the best moments of the episode.
Definitely. Also Richard's remark about not answering to Charles.

So, I guess it's Jack that's the one who is responsible for Ben becoming evil, and not Sayid.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-02-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I want to see what's inside the temple!!!!

Whatever it is - it probably has a giant boulder security system
Old 04-02-09, 10:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The real point of this episode was not the stuff with Kate, but simply to demonstrate to the viewer that Faraday's theory that the time travelers cannot change the past is sound.
Old 04-02-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by beatccr
very small and minor, but did anyone else get bothered by the fact that Jack got out of the shower and put on a shirt without drying himself off first?
Old 04-02-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Did anyone thought the blonde woman who was seen taking Aaron in the supermarket was Claire? I thought it might been her but when she turn her face to Kate I knew it wasn't her. Almost had me fooled since it was show on April Fools Day.
Old 04-02-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see them trying to save Ben. The ones that were with Dharma for 3 years, we already know that Faraday said to them that they can't change the future. They have lived there for 3 years, maybe they like Ben as child, I don't know. The other one that was helping was Kate, and the flashback showed us what happened with Aaron, in the episode she has a few interactions with Ben's dad, so we can understand at the end why she would try to save that child.

So, we already know what happened to everyone but Ben, before they took the plane to get back to the island. Did he really killed Penny? Nooooo!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.