Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Osbournes New Variety Show (one station refuses to air it) Guess what state..

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-31-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/a...urnesshow.html

Fla. Fox affiliate refuses to air Osbournes show

The Associated Press

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - A television station in the Florida Panhandle is not going to air a new variety show hosted by Ozzy Osbourne and his family because it contains profanity and adult content. The head of Panama City Fox affiliate WPGX says he watched a six-minute preview of "Osbournes: Reloaded" and found that the time slot for the show makes him uncomfortable.

The show is set to debut Tuesday at 8:20 p.m. CDT. The offbeat time is intended to keep viewers of top-rated "American Idol" watching the show.

WPGX General Manager David Cavileer says he would have aired the Osbournes show later in the evening. Instead, he'll air "The Simpsons" during the earlier time slot.

A Fox Broadcasting Co. spokesman says any affiliate can pre-empt a program it deems inappropriate for its market.
Old 03-31-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Osbournes New Variety Show (one station refuses to air it) Guess what state..

Actually, that's really strange for Florida. Epicenter of strange news or not, it's usually the mid-east/mid-west states that boycott stuff.
Old 03-31-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Osbournes New Variety Show (one station refuses to air it) Guess what state..

My guess was Utah! I guess the Mormans don't mind the Osbournes.
Old 03-31-09, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummmm...what show on Fox doesn't contain profanity and adult content? And how late does the affiliate want it to air? Fox doesn't have a 10 o'clock (9 Central) programming block. It's airing pretty much as late as it can. If the affiliate airs "Family Guy" at 9 (or 8), then I fail to see why they would have issue with this.
Old 03-31-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the station did its audience a favor. It's awful.
Old 03-31-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

dreadful
Old 03-31-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why did i sit through 30 mins of this?
Old 03-31-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My guess was Texas. I mean, come on, it's Ozzy. That Florida crap doesn't even make sense in this case.
Old 03-31-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea this was even on yet. Really that bad, huh?
Old 03-31-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it was bad. That Florida TV station did a favor to it's viewers.
Old 04-01-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Actually the local St. Louis, MO station skipped it as well, -they showed the first 10 seconds and them cut to a local special on the St. Louis Cardinals. It was very last minute and I don't know if they'll bother to broadcast it at another time ...not that I care at this point.
Old 04-01-09, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
Actually the local St. Louis, MO station skipped it as well, -they showed the first 10 seconds and them cut to a local special on the St. Louis Cardinals. It was very last minute and I don't know if they'll bother to broadcast it at another time ...not that I care at this point.
They made an announcement on the news that it would be shown at midnight because of the content. Truly awful, you didn't miss anything...
Old 04-01-09, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i honestly think that was the worst thing i have ever seen on tv. i didnt laugh once but i cringed alot. though the cringing wasnt because the show was so shocking it was just embarrassingly bad. cussing can be funny or maybe a bit shocking when done right but they just seemed desperate for laughs every time they said fuck. the osbournes really made themselves look like fools...more so than ever. i watch fallon every night because its such a trainwreck. this show doesnt even have that going for it.
Old 04-01-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought Utah for sure.
Old 04-01-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

They shouldn't have even bothered. They had a good little run on MTV with that reality show a few years back.

For them to do another show seems really pointless...JMO
Old 04-01-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I guessed Utah. My backup choice was Mississippi.
Old 04-01-09, 11:14 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our local station started playing an episode of According to Jim right after Idol. I figured it was a screw-up at the time but now I'm not so sure.
Old 04-01-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we are not in Otter land I thought Utah too.
Old 04-01-09, 11:43 AM

They moved it to 1 AM here in Milwaukee and showed a special news report in its place.

What was the special news report about?
Spoiler:
Drugs (meth, coke, otc drugs, prescription drugs, etc) in the community and how they are affecting/killing the youth.
Old 04-01-09, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

hooray I was right "Florida" that was my quess before reading the story.
Old 04-01-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I also guessed Florida, but did anybody actually watch this show? I've heard reports that it was pretty bad.
Old 04-01-09, 01:08 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I don't approve of the censorship (FL viewers should have to suffer like the rest of us did), gotta love that the replacement was ... The Simpsons.
Old 04-01-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish my local Florida affiliate didn't air it.
Old 04-01-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Georgia, and our local affiliate didn't show it either. I can't imagine it being any worse than a lot of the crap they do show.
Old 04-01-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jpoppe
They moved it to 1 AM here in Milwaukee and showed a special news report in its place.

What was the special news report about?
Drugs (meth, coke, otc drugs, prescription drugs, etc) in the community and how they are affecting/killing the youth.
Showing the Osbournes would have gotten that special news report's point across just as well!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.