Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 9, March 31 / April 1, "iTunes Week"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be voted off on April 1st?
Adam Lambert
1.72%
Allison Iraheta
1.72%
Anoop Desai
8.62%
Danny Gokey
1.72%
Kris Allen
0%
Lil Rounds
1.72%
Matt Giraud
6.90%
Megan Joy (Corkery)
50.00%
Scott Macintyre
25.86%
Nobody - Judges will use their "save"
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol Top 9, March 31 / April 1, "iTunes Week"

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Idol Top 9, March 31 / April 1, "iTunes Week"

Originally Posted by starman9000
There was some old lady in the crowd singing along. Maybe he's got the cougar market cornered?
I think that was Cook's mom.

He recently took a few days away from his tour to deal with some family issues. Many suspect that his brother Adam has taken a turn for the worse, but no one knows for sure. While I hope everything works out for his kinfolk, I can't believe that a million people bought his album. His songs sound like Nickelback/Audioslave rejects to me.
Old 04-02-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
Blind guy lip syncing with a mic on a stand. Brilliant!
Yeah I loved that, it was pretty bad, I was like wow he's about six inches from the mic and he sounds that loud.
Old 04-02-09, 11:31 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Simon can't even bother to look like he gives a damn on camera anymore. He actually seemed pissed when he told Megan that they wouldn't save her, regardless of her farewell singing performance. The judge's save is such a sham. It really needs to be ditched and let the eliminatee have some dignity in their farewell performance.

David Cook's performance was sleep-inducing. Who the hell is buying his album?

Lady Gaga was, uh, different, but not all that enjoyable to me.

The lip-syncing is really apparent and distracting.

I think I could watch half an hour of Idol Impersonation.

Megan must have found Paula's loopy pills before the show tonight.
- David Cook -> Boring

- Lady Gaga -> Never heard of her but that was AWESOME

- Megan -> I think she realized it didn't matter what happened and she knew her time was up (the judges wouldn't have used the save for her anyway). So guess she was just acting like a dork. Funny but weird.
Old 04-02-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwineTime
One man's crazy = another man's refreshing

Here, here!
Old 04-02-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Megan was completely caught off guard by her elimination. The last few weeks she's not been close to being cut and Tuesday she was serious when she talked about pleasing "her" fans. Her response to Simon last nightwas one of arrogance not acceptance. She thought that she was all that and thought it was funny she was in the bottom three. Only at the end did it hit her.

Megan is one contestant that I will remember for all of the wrong reasons..
Old 04-02-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I usually just roll my eyes at Simon, but I loved his comment about not caring anymore either. She deserved it.
Old 04-02-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this entire fucking final 12 has tilted me more than I thought possible

they all suck

It will come down to Adam vs. Kris, at which point I'll be so disinterested I won't even care but I'll still be watching for the same fucking reason I'm still watching Saturday Night Live every week religiously even though it puts out one or two good skits per season.
Old 04-02-09, 03:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

could somebody please link or find me the performance of Lady GaGa on last nights show? i would be so appreciative!
Old 04-02-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this ones got a funky "evaluation" text on it, but otherwise it's good quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrds0wt_B6M
Old 04-02-09, 08:55 PM
Banned

Megan was pretty awful, as usual, & has certainly deserved to get the hook long ago, but I find myself wanting to defend her tattooed, goofy self.

I thought her "I love Simon, but I really don't care" comment was a good-natured response to Ryan's question of how she felt about Cowell's assessment of her performance as boring, indulgent, and monotonous (not exactly constructive criticism). I don't think she was being arrogant...just saying that she wasn't bothered by the comments.

Cowell didn't understand what she said & had to have it repeated through Paula (who said that Joy said "I don't care"). Cowell DID seem to be highly offended & wouldn't even look at her during her 'swan song' (as he put it). If her comment made her look arrogant, I would argue that his reaction (even if she had meant it the way he thought) made him seem like a petulant child. Considering the schizophrenic "advice" given to the contestants, he ought to expect that some contestants might have given up on the pearls of wisdom. I mean, the "judges" can cut up during the performances & behave rudely, dismissively, and childishly during the "evaluations" (especially cruel when Cowell & Abdul start cutting up & causing people to laugh during Scott's evaluation...since he has no idea what they are doing). Yet the contestants are supposed to grovel (except Adam, who gets praised regardless of what he does)?

Not that it would happen a million years, but it would have been awesome if Megan would have turned in a mind-blowing final performance after Simon had decided (unilaterally, it seems) that he wouldn't save her regardless of how well she sang. It reduces the "save" to 'whoever can kiss the judges's butts...or Simon's, at least...rather than whoever performs the best. I guess you have to pay your dues before you can act the diva like so many of AI's "guest artists".

Speaking of guest artists, did anyone else notice how bored the audience (except for the hand-picked "pit girls") were during Cook's performance? Most were just sitting on their hands looking as if they couldn't wait for the pain to stop.

The other amusing thing is that anyone would find Megan's performances awful (which they were) while embracing "Lady Gaga", who made Yoko Ono sound like a virtuoso. I could appreciate the entertainment value (similar to Norman Gentle)...it reminded me of a sketch comedy routine ("Lady" looks a lot like SCTV's Andrea Martin). We were awestruck with the gorgeous horror of the whole thing...caught between downright shock & outight belly-laughing (now I understand the "gaga" moniker). It was brilliant in its nose-thumbing at the "audience" who would actually pay for such indescribable awfulness. Made me think of the description of the stage perfomance in Huck Finn.

Also, not since Ashley Simpson's famed SNL meltdown has anyone done such an amazing dance routine. Still, I feared that Idol would be picketed by an epileptic support group after seeing the contortions of the black dude who went into conniptions right in the camera lens. Play that funky music, indeed!

Ever see the movie "Bamboozled", in which the Savion Glover & friend try to put on the most offensive performances possible...& end up with the opposite reaction (similar to The Producers' "Springtime For Hitler")? With Lady Gaga, truth certainly has exceeded fiction.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-02-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 09:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mgfred
I think Megan was completely caught off guard by her elimination. The last few weeks she's not been close to being cut and Tuesday she was serious when she talked about pleasing "her" fans. Her response to Simon last nightwas one of arrogance not acceptance. She thought that she was all that and thought it was funny she was in the bottom three. Only at the end did it hit her.

Megan is one contestant that I will remember for all of the wrong reasons..
If she didn't think she was going to be eliminated, why did she keep telling all the Idols to call her when she hugged them? She did this with Allison when she went back to her seat from the bottom 3 and I'm pretty sure she did it with Kris before she was even officially in the bottom 3.
Old 04-02-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this has been my favorite season, and I've been watching all 8 years. Sure, not the best singers (no one beats Kelly and Carrie) but damn between Simon and Paula being hilarious, that Megan chick clucking like a bird, Kara sucking so bad, and the crazy performances lol. This is entertaining.

I think the final two will be Adam vs Kris. If somehow Gokey edges in there, they will just have another Taylor Hicks on their hand (but at least Taylor Hicks wasn't a stuck up asshole).
Old 04-02-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I think the final two will be Adam vs Kris. If somehow Gokey edges in there, they will just have another Taylor Hicks on their hand (but at least Taylor Hicks wasn't a stuck up asshole).
Is Hicks really the bottom of the barrel Idol winner? What about Sparks or Cook or Fantasia. Actually other than Underwood or Clarkson this show has produced a bunch of no talents.
Old 04-02-09, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tr0n
If she didn't think she was going to be eliminated, why did she keep telling all the Idols to call her when she hugged them? She did this with Allison when she went back to her seat from the bottom 3 and I'm pretty sure she did it with Kris before she was even officially in the bottom 3.
I thought she was was saying "Don't forget to CAW" (giving them the best performance advice she could think of).
Old 04-02-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Ever see the movie "Bamboozled", in which the Savion Glover & friend try to put on the most offensive performances possible...& end up with the opposite reaction (similar to The Producers' "Springtime For Hitler")? With Lady Gaga, truth certainly has exceeded fiction.
This.

Old 04-02-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Is Hicks really the bottom of the barrel Idol winner? What about Sparks or Cook or Fantasia. Actually other than Underwood or Clarkson this show has produced a bunch of no talents.
I used that comparison because Danny sings like Hicks, he is older, has no mass appeal etc.

I'd agree about Fantasia, Ruben, and Cook. But Jordin Sparks has had a string of hits on the radio and her album did well.

I don't think anyone will ever eclipse the success of Kelly and/or Carrie. They have pop and country covered. But I'd put Jordin in third for now.
Old 04-02-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I used that comparison because Danny sings like Hicks, he is older, has no mass appeal etc.

I'd agree about Fantasia, Ruben, and Cook. But Jordin Sparks has had a string of hits on the radio and her album did well.

I don't think anyone will ever eclipse the success of Kelly and/or Carrie. They have pop and country covered. But I'd put Jordin in third for now.
I guess I'm completely out of touch because other then her performance on the show I've never heard a single song of hers.
Old 04-02-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She had that song "No Air" or whatever it was called with Chris Brown I think.

I know he didn't win, but Daughtry has been successful.
Old 04-02-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah you have Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson who are doing well as non-winners.
Old 04-03-09, 01:11 AM

The only thing worth watching this season for was for Megan. Her performances were not so good, but she was always entertaining at least because you had no idea what the heck was coming. Everyone else is so boring except for maybe Anoop, he's sort of entertaining with his over the top songs, lol.

I honestly think that if Megan got some vocal coaching and stopped picking dumb songs she could actually be more successful than anyone else on the show this year. Because she's a) the only good looking one, b) the only one with a unique voice, and c) has more personality (albeit somewhat flaky) than any of the other people. She can definitely sing but she does too many dumb things with her voice--I see her as like a K.T. Tungstal (I think that's who sang that "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" song).

Taylor34
Old 04-03-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

At least Megan was interesting (not to mention good-looking). She hadn't sung well in a long time, but I'd much rather have watched her over the next couple weeks than Anoop, Scott, or others.
Old 04-03-09, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Good riddance to Megan. This Bob Marley-Reggae-Amy Winehouse sound that she has played with is painful to listen to. I can't imagine any record producer/company who would even consider signing her.....maybe some shitty Indie label.

I thoroughly enjoyed Danny and Kris. Adam was cool. Even though most of this board keeps ripping him week after week, I think he's a really talented singer. Play that funky music was kinda of corny, but fun. His performance last week was top notch and would qualify IMO as an Idol Moment. I think Kris achieved his Idol moment this week.

I agree with all the judges that Matt needs to make up his God Damn mind what type of singer he wants to be.

Timber: I assume you don't listen to alot of Top 40 or AC radio or have seen many music videos recently. Jordin Sparks has been a pretty successful Idol contestant, but nowhere near the realm of Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood. I have her album and she has at least 3-4 singles that got alot of air play on Top 40 radio last year.

I would say the only Idol winners that have been busts/disappointments are Fantasia, Taylor Hicks and even Ruben Studdard.