Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

UFO Hunters Third Season (History Channel)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 12:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As another member pointed out, both this series as well as MonsterQuest never seems very resolute and disappointing when it comes to capturing anything concrete, (more so MonsterQuest). The strength of UFO Hunters is that one they try to initially debunk some theories or stories with a scientific explanation, but they also bring to light stories/incident's I've never heard before. I also like the investigators. But I want to add some comments on last night's second episode of the show's third season. While talking about the possibility of underground alien bases, Bill Birnes (producer and notable UFO-ologist) really goes out there and becomes animated over alien hybrids and the look on fellow investigator Pat Uskert's face is priceless (since he tends to be a little more practical) - it's both 'what the fuck' and 'oh you've lost it'.

the two upcoming episdoes are:

- The Greys Conspiracy (April 1, 2009) The team studies two alleged alien abduction cases with alarmingly similar details that involve encounters with the creatures known as "Greys", and then they closely examine a strange humanoid skull found in Mexico that could be the remains of an alien-human hybrid.

- Underwater Alien Bases (April 8, 2009) The hunters delve into the mountain of reports from the Gulf Breeze, Florida UFO sighting wave of the early 1990s and then looks for possible connections to recent reports from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba of alleged Unidentified Submerged Objects (USOs) spotted rising from the ocean.
Old 03-26-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: UFO Hunters Third Season (History Channel)

Of the two shows, I like MonsterQuest better - even though both series tend to lack any sort of conclusions.

Problem with MonsterQuest is that they seem to be running out ideas, and there's only so many "hairy wildman" stories that can be done. And I'm not as intrigued by giant snakes or big hogs. And at least there's an attempt to be somewhat objective, despite the narrator who is always yammering about something "stalking these hills" or "terrorizing locals".

I tend to fast-forward through UFO Hunters, because there's just too much repetitive chattering from Bill and Pat making huge leaps in logic without any basis in fact, moreso with the addition of "new guy" skeptic Mike. The supposed UFO footage is the money shot for this show, and there's just not enough to go around. Lose the bad CG animation, and maybe make the show 30 minutes.

The Tinley Park lights ep was probably one of my favorites - coupled with the fact that it's the next town over from me, which probably helped it be a little more interesting.

And Bill - lose the hat and glasses. We get it. You publish UFO Magazine. I fell for the shill and subscribed to that dreadful rag, and for that I will always harbor a little animosity toward the guy. It's a godawful New Age-y publication that is dreadful. I count the days until my subscription expires...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-26-09 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Of the two shows, I like MonsterQuest better - even though both series tend to lack any sort of conclusions.

Problem with MonsterQuest is that they seem to be running out ideas, and there's only so many "hairy wildman" stories that can be done. And I'm not as intrigued by giant snakes or big hogs. And at least there's an attempt to be somewhat objective, despite the narrator who is always yammering about something "stalking these hills" or "terrorizing locals".

I tend to fast-forward through UFO Hunters, because there's just too much repetitive chattering from Bill and Pat making huge leaps in logic without any basis in fact, moreso with the addition of "new guy" skeptic Mike. The supposed UFO footage is the money shot for this show, and there's just not enough to go around. Lose the bad CG animation, and maybe make the show 30 minutes.

The Tinley Park lights ep was probably one of my favorites - coupled with the fact that it's the next town over from me, which probably helped it be a little more interesting.

And Bill - lose the hat and glasses. We get it. You publish UFO Magazine. I fell for the shill and subscribed to that dreadful rag, and for that I will always harbor a little animosity toward the guy. It's a godawful New Age-y publication that is dreadful. I count the days until my subscription expires...

try watching 'MonsterQuest' without the ads and the narrator is both redundant and annoying as shit.

Did you happen to see any of the lights from the Tinley Park incident?

as for Bill, have you seen the couple of episodes without his glasses, he looks like he's in pain, he's the posterchild for over "indoor" use of dark sunglasses - it actually does more harm than good to one's eyes.

[side comment: it's interesting to note that abductees are usually kooky caucasian Americans, with the exception of Betty and Barney Hill (Barney being African American)]

Last edited by Giles; 03-26-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giles
Did you happen to see any of the lights from the Tinley Park incident?
Nope. I remember hearing about it the next day, though. It was quite the buzz.

And the guys who shot the home video didn't live that far from me, so I should have been in "the flight path"!

I was probably inside watching a DVD
Old 03-28-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I like the monsters presented in MonsterQuest, but for some reason, everytime I watch that show, it never impresses me. While I'm not a fan of UFO Hunters, I'm glad the SciFi version never went beyond the first episode.
Old 03-28-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as for Bill, have you seen the couple of episodes without his glasses, he looks like he's in pain, he's the posterchild for over "indoor" use of dark sunglasses - it actually does more harm than good to one's eyes.
Yeah he seems to have some kind of issue with his eyes. He blinks really noticeably like a twitch or something.

I enjoy both UFO Hunters and Monsterquest but they do get repetitive after awhile. The problem is there isn't really a lot of good evidence to go around anymore that hasn't been debunked or studied endlessly on other shows.

The Monsterquest show on 'rods' was pointless because anyone who keeps up with paranormal developments knows that they were debunked years ago as insects. Same with the ghost episode and the vatican ghost that turned out to be a coat on a stick.
Old 03-28-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

rods...

Horrible, just horrible
Old 03-28-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

While UFO Hunters is a taking a subject that fascinates me, I just can't get into it. For some reason I just find the series boring.

I do enjoy Monsterquest even though they never catch anything worthwhile. I think I like it mainly for the host, he knows he's off looking for the most ridiculous things and makes smart ass comments to fit the situation. Hearing him muttering to himself asking why he's in the middle of a forest looking for leprechauns or something similar cracks me up.
Old 03-29-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
While UFO Hunters is a taking a subject that fascinates me, I just can't get into it. For some reason I just find the series boring.
I agree 100%

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I do enjoy Monsterquest even though they never catch anything worthwhile. I think I like it mainly for the host, he knows he's off looking for the most ridiculous things and makes smart ass comments to fit the situation. Hearing him muttering to himself asking why he's in the middle of a forest looking for leprechauns or something similar cracks me up.
Are you sure you're talking about MonsterQuest? Sounds like it could be another show...
Old 03-29-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Are you sure you're talking about MonsterQuest? Sounds like it could be another show...
Doh! You're right. While I have seen Monsterquest and do enjoy it, the show I was thinking of when I wrote that was Destination Truth. I don't know why I got them confused.
Old 03-29-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

For those here really interested in UFO subject matter discussed in an intelligent, facts-driven, no bullshit kind of way - subscribe to The Paracast podcast...been a fan for a year now. No nonsense hosts and fascinating guests make each weeks 2 hour show something to look forward to.
Old 04-02-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Now that you pointed it out I noticed a lot of eyebrow twitching during the Dulce ep (which I just watched).

He can keep the glasses if that's the reason (aren't there anywithout the bus window-sized lenses?), but he should ditch the UFO Magazine hat - at least once in a while.

That whole "underground base beneath the mesa" was one of their better episodes. I liked that Pat was not willing to buy into everything that was being shoveled their way.
Old 04-02-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently one of the upcoming episodes was supposed to be about this:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/labno...x-of-2009.aspx

I think they removed references to it on the History Channel website.
Old 04-02-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Apparently one of the upcoming episodes was supposed to be about this:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/labno...x-of-2009.aspx

I think they removed references to it on the History Channel website.
Ouch.