NBC will never be No. 1 in prime time-Zucker

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC will never be No. 1 in prime time-Zucker

Old 07-27-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBC will never be No. 1 in prime time-Zucker

Originally Posted by calhoun07
My question is how much did he have to do with the decision on Leno getting a nightly prime time show? Is the future of that show threatened?
I was wondering the same thing. Even if new management wanted to, I think it's too late to kill it now. They probably couldn't fill the schedule if they did.
Old 07-27-09, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

They can't kill the Leno deal. IIRC (from what I've heard), he was signed on a 2 year contract.
Old 07-27-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

ER gets spots?
Old 07-27-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marley and Me was a family film released at Christmastime and He's Just Not That Into You wasn't her starring vehicle. So no, I don't think she puts asses in seats with every film of hers that comes out.
Old 07-27-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I know this is an older post but aren't you putting the cart before the horse? If NBC had kept F&G on the air for, say, 5 years(a modest hit but not on the level of Friends), do you think the cast would have gone on to do what they have done?

James Franco would have been busy when Spider-man came calling. Linda Cardellini would have likewise been busy on F&G when ER was looking for a new nurse. Likewise for Jason Segel when the casting call for HIMYM comes about. Would Seth Rogen have made time to write if he was on a more successful F&G? Also, we may not have gotten Undeclared had F&G lingered on.

Lastly there were few celebs bigger than the cast of Friends at its peak. It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.
I thought the poster's point was more that the talent was clearly there on F&G, from the writing to the acting. The show was also critically acclaimed. At that point, the blame for low ratings lies with the network alone, not anything to do with the show itself.

It's one thing when the networks are cancelling shows that are not up to par. In the case of F&G, that doesn't seem to have been the case.
Old 07-28-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Marley and Me was a family film released at Christmastime and He's Just Not That Into You wasn't her starring vehicle. So no, I don't think she puts asses in seats with every film of hers that comes out.

i love how i just prove she's done two fairly good movies in terms of box office and you negate it with some ridiculous assertions.

well, the movie had a dog in it, and it was released on a wednesday, so that doesn't count.... uhhhh yeah. she was in both movies and they did well at the box office. i'd say there is a pretty strong correlation between her being in a movie and it doing well.

Last edited by Deftones; 07-28-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nikki Finke has been reporting all day that Ben Silverman has been shown the door at NBC.

This is either the beginning of the end or an end for a new beginning.
Old 07-29-09, 05:39 PM

Uhhh, post # 41

Chris
Old 07-29-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones

i love how i just prove she's done two fairly good movies in terms of box office and you negate it with some ridiculous assertions.

well, the movie had a dog in it, and it was released on a wednesday, so that doesn't count.... uhhhh yeah. she was in both movies and they did well at the box office. i'd say there is a pretty strong correlation between her being in a movie and it doing well.
Look, my point is you can easily replace her and they would have made the same amount of money. There's no way she "made" that She's Just Not That Into You or Marley and Me. Any other known actress could have filled in for the role.

Saying she's some box-office starlet is a ridiculous overstatement. She's eye candy and the paparazzi love her. Doesn't mean she's an A-lister.
Old 07-29-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Look, my point is you can easily replace her and they would have made the same amount of money. There's no way she "made" that She's Just Not That Into You or Marley and Me. Any other known actress could have filled in for the role.

Saying she's some box-office starlet is a ridiculous overstatement. She's eye candy and the paparazzi love her. Doesn't mean she's an A-lister.
that was a brilliant rebuttal. oh wait, not it wasn't.
Old 07-29-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
that was a brilliant rebuttal. oh wait, not it wasn't.
What the hell is your problem? Don't like being corrected? Gimme a break - you gave two movies that have come out in the past year that have other major stars in it or is some generic family film. That doesn't make you popular.

Name a film that Aniston has been in that has been a hit and doesn't feature any other major stars. Then you can claim she's this brilliant actress.
Old 07-29-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

What the hell is your problem? Don't like being corrected? Gimme a break - you gave two movies that have come out in the past year that have other major stars in it or is some generic family film. That doesn't make you popular.

Name a film that Aniston has been in that has been a hit and doesn't feature any other major stars. Then you can claim she's this brilliant actress.
Don't like being corrected? No, I hate people that get confused and state an opinion as fact. Bottom line is her two last movies grossed well over $200 million dollars at the box office. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, too, because I didn't even list The Break Up, which grossed over $100 million. But now that you seem to have a problem, I'll throw it in to further show that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Why was that one so successful? Was it because it was a relationship movie that came out on a non-summer Friday that had a semi-recognizable star? You can provide no substantial evidence other than your own opinion as fact. That's my problem. I could give a shit what kind of actress she is. Bottom line is she's a bankable star in the past few years. You can throw every excuse out there, but there's nothing that will differentiate from an opinion.
Old 07-29-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Jesus, get a room you two...