Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Old 03-20-09, 12:45 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
We're keeping it on the level the Leno audience can appreciate.
Wait, the Leno audience knows about US history?
Old 03-20-09, 02:08 AM
  #27  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,084
Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

President Obama Jokes About Being a Bad Bowler: 'It's Like the Special Olympics'

The first appearance by a sitting president on "The Tonight Show" may well end up being the last.

President Obama, in his taping with Jay Leno Thursday afternoon, attempted to yuk it up with the funnyman, and ended up insulting the disabled.

Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute appearance, the president talked about how he's gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

He bowled a 129, the president said.

"That's very good, Mr. President," Leno said sarcastically.

It's "like the Special Olympics or something," the president said.

When asked about the remark, the White House said the president did not intend to offend.

"The president made an off-hand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics," White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton said. "He thinks the Special Olympics is a wonderful program that gives an opportunity for people with disabilities from around the world."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ent-ob-15.html
That's what happens when Barack doesn't use his TelePrompter.
Old 03-20-09, 02:37 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

also did he basically call all americans assholes when he referred to us as "simon cowell"?
Old 03-20-09, 05:41 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: BV VA
Posts: 6,091
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

If he fixes the economy he can call me whatever he wants.
Old 03-20-09, 08:50 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Bush would never go on The Tonight Show because he cannot speak without a teleprompter in front of him. Even when he is reading lines he sounds mentally challenged.
You REALLY need to do some research my friend. Obama is great at public speaking, right? Guess what, he relies on a teleprompter more than ANY president has in a long time. He uses one EVERYWHERE he goes. When he speaks at a town hall meeting...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to the nation...he has a teleprompter. When he does interviews...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to our troops...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to the press...he has a teleprompter. It is even so bad that the writers/photographers complain because his teleprompter is directly in front and to his sides, making it hard to get good photographs and limiting eye contact.
Old 03-20-09, 09:36 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

you guys chill Obama has been in the white house for less than 4 months people cant fix small problems in 4 months how in the world did you expect him to solve this problem with the time he has been given so far
Old 03-20-09, 09:39 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 14,490
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Did Obama make a joke at the Special Olympics and its athletes expense? Anyone catch that?
Good thing for him that he didn't say the word "monkey." He would have been labeled a racist forever.
Old 03-20-09, 09:58 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,633
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
You REALLY need to do some research my friend. Obama is great at public speaking, right? Guess what, he relies on a teleprompter more than ANY president has in a long time. He uses one EVERYWHERE he goes. When he speaks at a town hall meeting...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to the nation...he has a teleprompter. When he does interviews...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to our troops...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to the press...he has a teleprompter. It is even so bad that the writers/photographers complain because his teleprompter is directly in front and to his sides, making it hard to get good photographs and limiting eye contact.
Yes, everywhere... except of course, the venue that is the subject of this thread. And hundreds of other instances throughout the campaign and prior to his time in office. It's obvious he's perfectly capable of speaking intelligently without a telepromptor, though I do understand he has used them a great deal since he arrived in office.

But hey, until Obama indefinitely kidnaps American citizens without charges and experiments on them using Gestapo torture methods, what else have we got, right?

(I know you were responding to a slam on Bush - I just think it's a silly criticism no matter who it's directed at)

I caught the 'special olympics' comment immediately and cringed. He paused afterwards - and it looked like he wished he could take it back right after he said it. An insensitive comment, but it's a pretty common joke to make in the context of athletics. No more offensive (to me) than the frequent use of the word 'handicap'. But he'll definitely take some heat for it, probably rightly so.

Other than that, it was about what I expected.
Old 03-20-09, 10:08 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
dan30oly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,749
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post

But hey, until Obama indefinitely kidnaps American citizens without charges and experiments on them using Gestapo torture methods, what else have we got, right?
Wow. I guess he does have alot in common with Lincoln.
Old 03-20-09, 11:58 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,909
Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
Wow. I guess he does have alot in common with Lincoln.
Lincoln was also famous for off-color/inappropriate jokes, just like Obama's Special Olympics one.
Old 03-20-09, 11:59 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,401
Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
also did he basically call all americans assholes when he referred to us as "simon cowell"?
I'm pretty sure he meant that everything he does is heavily scrutinized and harshly judged by that remark. (And I'm not sure he meant all Americans, but just the politicians in Washington DC.)
.
Old 03-20-09, 12:14 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
It's obvious he's perfectly capable of speaking intelligently without a telepromptor, though I do understand he has used them a great deal since he arrived in office.
Are you sure about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJSVPAx8xc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

How many states?

Bush wasn't any better, but Obama sure isn't Bill Clinton. There were numerous times throughout his presidency that his teleprompter went out right in the middle of his speach and nobody even knew.
Old 03-20-09, 12:40 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,021
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

I don't get the "What would the reaction be if Bush went on Leno?" I'm no Bush fan, but I think it would have been pretty good. Not right after 9/11 or anything, but 2005-2006 Bush probably would have done pretty well, since he seems to do okay in one on one conversational settings.

Hell, Nixon was on Laugh-In during the Vietnam war. What was the reaction like at the time, because it seems to be fondly remembered now.
Old 03-20-09, 12:43 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,031
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
You REALLY need to do some research my friend. Obama is great at public speaking, right? Guess what, he relies on a teleprompter more than ANY president has in a long time. He uses one EVERYWHERE he goes. When he speaks at a town hall meeting...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to the nation...he has a teleprompter. When he does interviews...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to our troops...he has a teleprompter. When he speaks to the press...he has a teleprompter. It is even so bad that the writers/photographers complain because his teleprompter is directly in front and to his sides, making it hard to get good photographs and limiting eye contact.
But does Obama sound mentally challenged when he speaks?
Old 03-20-09, 12:46 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,031
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
also did he basically call all americans assholes when he referred to us as "simon cowell"?
I guess he did if the only trait you see in Simon Cowell is "asshole". If he had referred to any group as Oprah I doubt everyone would assume he was calling them cult leaders.
Old 03-20-09, 12:56 PM
  #41  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 11,105
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Hell, Nixon was on Laugh-In during the Vietnam war.
... as a candidate before he became president.
Old 03-20-09, 12:57 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
But does Obama sound mentally challenged when he speaks?
Check out my links above.

To answer your question...yes he does...at times.
Old 03-20-09, 01:05 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
But does Obama sound mentally challenged when he speaks?
Bush didn't rely on a teleprompter nearly as much as Obama does. Hell, Obama will probably start carrying around a portable one as a back-up. Did you even watch those clips above? Once that teleprompter goes out he starts stuttering and speaks like a drunken old fool.

...if they were in the bed...already got treatment early...they would get breathalyzers...no not those...inhalators...then...oh by the way, i've been up for 48 hours...

And while Bush may not have been the best speaker, I am pretty sure that even he knows there are only 50 states in the Union...not 57. And before you say that Obama was joking, watch the clip again. He is clearly serious.
Old 03-20-09, 01:11 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Bush didn't rely on a teleprompter nearly as much as Obama does. Hell, Obama will probably start carrying around a portable one as a back-up. Did you even watch those clips above? Once that teleprompter goes out he starts stuttering and speaks like a drunken old fool.

...if they were in the bed...already got treatment early...they would get breathalyzers...no not those...inhalators...then...oh by the way, i've been up for 48 hours...

And while Bush may not have been the best speaker, I am pretty sure that even he knows there are only 50 states in the Union...not 57. And before you say that Obama was joking, watch the clip again. He is clearly serious.

you gotta be stupid if you think he thought there was 57 states, slip of the mouth, the guy during the campaign was constintally giving speechs, at rallys, flying all over the country, the guy could not be getting any rest. When your tired you say stuff like that.

I cant believe you bring something like that up. Thats the dumbest thing to bring up a argument to say obama doesn't know there's 50 states.
Old 03-20-09, 01:14 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,021
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by X View Post
... as a candidate before he became president.
You're right, should have double checked the year.
Old 03-20-09, 01:15 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
you gotta be stupid if you think he thought there was 57 states, slip of the mouth, the guy during the campaign was constintally giving speechs, at rallys, flying all over the country, the guy could not be getting any rest. When your tired you say stuff like that.

I cant believe you bring something like that up. Thats the dumbest thing to bring up a argument to say obama doesn't know there's 50 states.
There are 57 Muslim states

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGdk...eature=related

Coincidence?
Old 03-20-09, 01:23 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Did anyone catch one of the dumbest things stated during the interview (clearly Leno didn't). When talking about plug-in hybrids Obama talked about how much potential the technology has - which it clearly does and it needs to be funded because the US automakers were asleep at the wheel making high profit margin SUV's. Then he talked about how you could plug your hybrid in at night and put energy BACK into the grid! And I cold see just see most Americans saying wow that is cool, we should do that.

Anyone here see the problem(s) with the concept of using hybrids to put energy back into the grid?

And this is the problem I have with an interview like this. Leno is by no means an idiot, but it's not like he did a bunch of research and was well versed on anything Obama would say so that he could ask an intelligent followup question. Unfortunately this is not really different than most of the mainstream media today - most of which don't do any actual research and just trust other sources for their information.

Next thing you know Obama will be telling us we need solar and wind energy to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. (I've already heard some idiots in Congress state this)
Old 03-20-09, 01:53 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

I saw the show and loved it.

= J
Old 03-20-09, 02:03 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
you gotta be stupid if you think he thought there was 57 states, slip of the mouth, the guy during the campaign was constintally giving speechs, at rallys, flying all over the country, the guy could not be getting any rest. When your tired you say stuff like that.

I cant believe you bring something like that up. Thats the dumbest thing to bring up a argument to say obama doesn't know there's 50 states.
I'm sorry, but that is an inexcusable mistake. If he is under such intense pressure and fatigue during his campaigning that he messes up on the total number of states, how can I depend on him to not make such a blatant mistake when he IS President that has actual repercussions?

And if you actually listen to what he says, it isn't just a mistake. He said "I've been to Fiftyyy...Fifty-Seven States so far with One more to go." Again, an inexcusable mistake. Obama thought about it and said 57. He was wrong and if people are going to criticize Bush's intelligence or speaking ability, they cannot simultaneously praise Obama's speaking and intelligence.
Old 03-20-09, 02:27 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: President Obama on The Tonight Show 3/19

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I'm sorry, but that is an inexcusable mistake. If he is under such intense pressure and fatigue during his campaigning that he messes up on the total number of states, how can I depend on him to not make such a blatant mistake when he IS President that has actual repercussions?

And if you actually listen to what he says, it isn't just a mistake. He said "I've been to Fiftyyy...Fifty-Seven States so far with One more to go." Again, an inexcusable mistake. Obama thought about it and said 57. He was wrong and if people are going to criticize Bush's intelligence or speaking ability, they cannot simultaneously praise Obama's speaking and intelligence.
That's the big thing. I think everybody can agree that Bush was not a good public speaker. What I find amazing is that people seem to be praising Obama as the greatest speaker in history. Or if not the greatest speaker in history a lot of people are at least like "finally we have a good speaker and not an idiot as president"

Well, he has made a tremendous number of gaffes just in the first couple months of his presidency. Last night was another one. Of course Bush made a huge number of mistakes too, but if Obama continues on his current pace he'll make just as many, if not more mistakes than Bush ever did.

We'll see what kind of president he is. I may be a Republican, but I do NOT agree with Rush. I hope he succeeds and I hope he can help return America to its former glory. No matter what kind of president he ends up being, he is not the great speaker than the public seems to think he is or wants him to be.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.