American Idol - Top 13 - 3/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - Top 13 - 3/10

Old 03-12-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: American Idol - Top 13 - 3/10

Originally Posted by Timber
I think they advertise her as more of a personality at this point. I think the singing career is done.
Exactly. I've never seen her advertised for anything as a musician. It's always the "Hey! Remember this dumb bitch? Well... tune in for some potential hilarity!" crap.
Old 03-12-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Exactly. I've never seen her advertised for anything as a musician. It's always the "Hey! Remember this dumb bitch? Well... tune in for some potential hilarity!" crap.
Musician!? She has never been marketed as a musician, or anything close. She's a SINGER! And a pretty damn good one at that. Like her or not, Kelly has a pretty good career as singer thanks to "A.I.".
Old 03-12-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever, dude. Singer...musician. I was using them as one in the same for the purpose of my point, which is that I have never seen her once marketed as a singer or anything having to do with music or music ability. It's always been as some trainwreck waiting to happen-a ditzy blonde broad who will continually say stupid shit that will elicit laughter from people.
Old 03-13-09, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Would you rather have them bring in Michael Buble or Kenny G then?

It's just a song man, Kelly isn't trying to make a political statement or make some social commentary. I'm 35 and I really like Kelly.
??? Social commentary ???? Where did that come from?

I know that, dumb as the song is (have you read the lyrics?), it's no worse in the dumb category than any other coulda-been-written-by-a-fourth-grader song. I find it perplexing that people could embrace this crap & then slam the Jonas brothers for the same pablum. It has a beat, but the lyrics are embarrassingly simplistic & the hook is repeated over & over. Not slamming Clarkson in particular...this formula has sold for decades...but it's not in the least original. Anyone on this board could have written the song in five good minutes while sitting on the can.

I don't mind songs sounding familiar...in fact, an awful lot of good pop songs have that "instantly familiar" ring to them...but there needs to be a little something different, either musically or lyrically, to hold my interest. I'm just curious...how does anyone who liked the performance think either the song or Clarkson's vocals (or the music) showed the slightest bit of originality? I mean, Fleetwood Mac (the Buckingham/Nicks version) were hugely commercial...yet most of their biggest sellers showed some originality somewhere.

I suppose you have a point about whom they would bring in, since most of the Billboard charts are dominated by this junk. It's the producers' job to find the most commercial acts possible & make as much they can before the cash cow runs dry...not to find real artists (as you have pointed out). I just wonder about the longevity of this music (although Madonna still sells, so I guess there could be a market for it down the road).

It's hard for those of us who could turn on the ole AM radio in the car & hear sounds as varied as Beatles, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, Byrds, Dylan, The Band, Doors, Beach Boys, James Brown, CCR, Sam & Dave, Stones, Bee Gees, Who, Simon & Garfunkel, Johnny Cash, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Chambers Bros., Supremes, etc. all in one rotation. And those were just the big acts. You could get almost every type of music, from hard rock to Latin-tinged rock to soul to country to R&B to folk in popular music of the day. Performers were instantly recognizable, and new acts had a distinctive sound that made listeners sit up & take notice. I can't tell most of these modern performers apart unless I know the specific songs.

The music I grew up with is the reason I took in progressive rock in the 70's, club & punk in the 80's, grunge & alt-country in the 90's, etc., all while still listening to county, rock, metal, pop, soul, jazz, etc. It's what kept me interested in searching out new bands & new genres instead of sticking to one tired old formula for 54 years. I realize Clarkson is a natural (both for commercial success & her connection to AI), but it still doesn't make the song anything more than sonic junk food...easily digested & eliminated.

The song Clarkson performed would be the equivalent of The Monkees performing "I'm a Believer". Catchy song for teeny-boppers, but not exactly adult fare...and I say that as a preteen Monkees fan who still enjoys puts them on occasionally for nostalgia.

I guess I just find it ironic that they pick "theme nights" based upon catalogs from (mostly) original performers & then seem to run away from contestants who are truly original (as they admit with their many "you're really commercial" and "this is not the place to be artistic" comments.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-13-09 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Whatever, dude. Singer...musician. I was using them as one in the same for the purpose of my point, which is that I have never seen her once marketed as a singer or anything having to do with music or music ability. It's always been as some trainwreck waiting to happen-a ditzy blonde broad who will continually say stupid shit that will elicit laughter from people.
Yes, people laugh AT this girl. I've seen it ("Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" is just one example), and I get what you're saying. But that is most certainly not the only thing she marketed as. She's has a fairly successful career in country music (on the charts, their award shows, etc). Hell, she's even touring with Taylor Swift. The biggest thing in country music atm. I'd say that's a pretty sweet gig. And will only bring her more exposure as a singer.
Old 03-15-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Happy to have Jasmine and Jorge booted--I never got the praise. And glad to have Megan survive.

I actually like Adam, but then I like Broadway also. Agree that he would kill with Hedwig.

Also agree that the judges' veto is not that big a deal, other than a cruel double whammy. I'm sure it would come into play only if Danny, Lil, Adam, etc. was was going to be bounced early.