Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are widescreen shows no longer shown letterboxed on my 4:3 tv?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Used to be that all widescreen shows were broadcast letterboxed with black bars on my 4:3 TV, but starting just a couple weeks ago, all the same widescreen shows are now zoomed in, filling the screen with the sides cut off - what happened?

FWIW, I have DirecTV, and it seems that only network shows are like this and not cable.
Old 03-08-09, 06:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Why are widescreen shows no longer shown letterboxed on my 4:3 tv?

Originally Posted by slop101
Used to be that all widescreen shows were broadcast letterboxed with black bars on my 4:3 TV, but starting just a couple weeks ago, all the same widescreen shows are now zoomed in, filling the screen with the sides cut off - what happened?

FWIW, I have DirecTV, and it seems that only network shows are like this and not cable.
sounds like a setting is off on your directv box.
Old 03-08-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the broadcast networks in my area have been terrible about this. They seem to have chosen to zoom for no good reason, chopping off the sides. It's particularly annoying on a show with credits like say SNL -- it looks like utter shit. NBC seems to be the worst (but not only) offender.
Old 03-08-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't watch the Simpsons anymore, it just looks horrible; thank goodness for hulu.
Old 03-08-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
sounds like a setting is off on your directv box.
But I never changed anything, and like I said, cable shows are still fine - like Battlestar Galactica is still letterbox, but SNL, for example is zoomed in to fill the screen.
Old 03-08-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Ugh. Back when I had cable, Cox (in Phoenix) did this with most of their HD channels. If it wasn't broadcast in widescreen HD, it didn't get displayed correctly. Discover HD and all those stations weren't presented correctly.

I guess you have to pacify the masses, who don't like those stupid black bars on the top and bottom or sides!
Old 03-08-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe it has something to do with the digital transition, even if DirecTV isn't direc-ly affected. It may be that some affiliates are doing this when they make the switch.
Old 03-08-09, 09:47 PM

I think it's the network affiliates. My Fox station has been going back and forth, particularly over the last few weeks. For the time being, they're letterboxing, as they should, but just when I get comfortable with that, they'll zoom and destroy the picture, as they did with the first HD "Simpsons." My NBC does the same thing, and while they're showing widescreen again, whenever the show begins or comes back from commercial, the image flashes back and forth between letterboxed and zoomed, like some dipshit is flicking a switch trying to decide which way to go. VERY irritating. I don't watch anything on the other nets, so I don't know what they're up to, but I'm betting your affiliates are jacking around with your picture. I have DirecTV as well, and have never changed any settings either.
Old 03-08-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

It's been the same way for me with DISH Network since the end of last year. The main networks all zoomed in with no more widescreen. Looks like complete crap with text lopped off or people barely seen on the side of the screen. Dish told me last year the locals were upgrading equipment for digital. I've given up any hope of them fixing it. Strikes me as piss poor planning in the transition. Odd thing is my local PBS often has shows in widescreen.
Old 03-08-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I have Time Warner Cable and have noticed the same thing on some shows but especially the Simpsons.
Old 03-08-09, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I have Time Warner Cable and have noticed the same thing on some shows but especially the Simpsons.
We've noticed it also and we live in LA, where the networks have not yet made the move to digital. It really sucks.