Breaking Bad - Season 2 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad - Season 2 Discussion

That last scene was intense! Loved it

Originally Posted by kstublen
And now he's getting his girlfriend hooked again too.
That stupid loser did that all by herself
Old 05-19-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply awesome!!!!!!
Old 05-19-09, 04:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

How many eps are left? SUCH a great season so far.
From the previews, it appears Walt will in fact
Spoiler:
go for the exchange and miss the birth of his daughter.
Old 05-19-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i think the next episode is the finale.
Old 05-19-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i was wrong. there are 2 more episodes.
Old 05-20-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking this:

Spoiler:
Jesse's new junky girlfriend is one of the bodies in the body bags. She is maybe trying to set fire to his house to get more drugs, etc., and the tankless heater goes off. Walt is storing the meth at the house after the whole 'Jesse' incident with the Kingpin guy's appointment, that's why there are hazmat suits and evidence bags as they detected meth.

Jesse COULD be the other body. He was not intended to be a permanent character according to Vince Gilligan, but he liked Jesse and felt the audience did too so they left him in the show. I don't think so, but it's a thought. Recent developments could easily lead to him being off the show and Cranston going in to this with Esposito.

Just some thoughts.
Old 05-20-09, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the first half of your speculation.
Old 05-22-09, 03:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
That stupid loser did that all by herself
Pretty much how I felt. Jesse was straight up with her.

This season has been great. I agree that you don't see where this show is going, despite the previews.

I wonder why some shows have a thread each week, while shows like this get a season thread. eh, whatever.
Old 05-24-09, 09:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Damn, that was fucking cold blooded by Walt there at the end.

Next week's the finale
Old 05-24-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... there goes my 'bodybag' theory.

Man how about Walt just stonewalling it there and watching that girl choke out.

What an episode.

Finally, I think, Walt is gonna start doing right by Jesse and stop being a dick to him.

I was so engrossed in the show this week.
Old 05-24-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show continues to impress. I originally thought that Walt was just going to throw Jesse in his car, take him to rehab, and foot the bill. It was just cold, what with Walt letting the girl die; it seemed like he was about to save her, then realized that she could (and let's be honest, probably would have) cost him everything. Loved how he was just talking with the girl's dad too, makes it all the more intense for the audience to watch him, in effect, kill the girl.

I'm sure he'll just leave, then show up like nothing happened and try to get Jesse back on track. That being said, I agree with Dr Mabuse; I think deep down Walt does care about Jesse and wants to help him. I didn't think Walt was going to never give Jesse that money. I believed him when he said he was going to hold it until Jesse got clean.

Can't believe next week is the finale. This show is severely under-watched by DVD Talk Users.
Old 05-24-09, 11:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I think part of him cares and part of him realizes what a complete boob Jesse is and just giving him the 480K will lead to both their downfalls.

Jesse claiming his civil rights were being violated was great when the dad came into his place

www.savewalterwhite.com
Old 05-24-09, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesse has to split - the Dad is going to be gunning for him when he finds out. I never watch the previews, but my guess would be:

Spoiler:

the Dad uses caller ID/last dialed to see who Jesse was calling and tracks down Walt, and the Dad ends up in one of the body bags.
Old 05-24-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe Walt just let her die. For Christ's sake, his daughter was just born, I can't buy his coldheartedness in this scene. Saving the girl could have bought him more good will in the girl's eyes. Letting her die just seems like a writer's cop-out after writing Walt into a total corner. Had Walt not been there, and it just happened naturally, sure, it'd feel just a writer's cop-out, but at least it was earned by both of the character's history with their weakness for drugs. Now Walt is truly in a dark place that should consume his soul in guilt for any goodness he receives going forward. Whatever empathy I might have for Walt has considerably waned with this choice of inaction on his part. I realize he realized this was the best thing to happen for his own hide and his family's future, but on a sliding scale of wrong and breaking bad, it's truly a black mark on his permanent record.

Last edited by Patman; 05-24-09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Whatever empathy I might have for Walt has considerably waned with this choice of inaction on his part.
I really don't think that he is an empathetic character. The tequila with Jr. and in this episode, talking to Saul, his main issue concerning the money was that he wouldn't get credit for earning it if it came through a donation or inheritance.

Jane was a threat to him, and he saw this as a way to eliminate the threat without getting his hands too dirty.

The parallel of both Walt & the baby/Jane & Jesse propping the other up so they wouldn't choke in their sleep was pretty good.
Old 05-25-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Walt started out as an empathic character, otherwise his "breaking bad" doesn't have a starting point in his character arc. Everything Walt did in the beginning was to set up his family financially in lieu of his cancer prognosis and perceived terminal condition, but going down the path he's gone down to pull in the money, it has eroded his moral fortitude, and his inaction in Jane's death has provided even more pointed erosion.
Old 05-25-09, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe Walt just let her die. For Christ's sake, his daughter was just born, I can't buy his coldheartedness in this scene.
I agree, I have a tough time buying it too. I just caught up on the last 3 episodes and can't say I liked it much in comparison to the first half of the season. On the plus side, no more Jane. I was getting annoyed with all of these peripheral characters filling time. I wonder what the chances are that Ted could choke on his own vomit.
Old 05-25-09, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by n.phelge
The parallel of both Walt & the baby/Jane & Jesse propping the other up so they wouldn't choke in their sleep was pretty good.
Show is awesome-crazy; Cranston et al were terrifc!

Originally Posted by MrX
Jesse claiming his civil rights were being violated was great when the dad came into his place

www.savewalterwhite.com

J & J's elation after opening the duffel bag also had me cracking up:
"Where do ya wanna go...Australia?"
"Is New Zealand part of Australia?"
"New Zealand is New Zealand."
"Why not? that's where they made Lord of the Rings. You can do your art and paint the castles and sh!t."

May have seemed cold-blooded at the end, but Walt did save Jesse from waking up in the morning with chunks all over his back.
Bye-Jane
Old 05-25-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe Walt just let her die. For Christ's sake, his daughter was just born,
It was believable for me. I think that probably played a large part in why he did it, to be honest. She had shown that she was willing to leverage and destroy his family in an attempt to control him. Sure, she was only asking for Jesse's rightful money at that time, but what about once they blew through that money? And Jesse had no control over her. Once she occupied that position, she was always going to be a threat to Walt. She could blackmail him, or flip on him if she got caught by the police. I'm surprised he didn't outright kill her.

The interesting question is what happens now. They've got to dispose of her body, and they sure as hell probably don't want to call the police.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 05-25-09 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-25-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Definitely, especially since Walt flat out asked "How do I know that she won't keep coming after me" or something to that effect and Jane told him there was "no way" to know ... ie. if she did need more money etc. she could constantly blackmail him. I thought Walt was maybe going to OD her on purpose to get her out of the way - because he doesn't want to put his family in jeopardy because of the newborn. It all seemed perfectly in character to me... remember they already killed a guy in Season 1, so why would one junkie blackmailing bitch be any different

Can't wait for the finale, this season has been fucking brilliant.
Old 05-25-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But Walt still gave Jesse the money. If Walt thought Jane would still blackmail him in the future, he'd take his money back and take his chances and call her bluff. I'm not saying Jane's a good human being, she's obviously had experiences with using people to get what she wants, and more than willing to play some dirty cards to achieve her objectives. Had Walt tried to save Jane and she still died, at least her death isn't on his conscience. Now, his inaction is one more boat anchor on his soul bound for the depths of hell. Walt's in the "Broke Bad" phase of his adventures as a meth cooker and supplier. With this turn, I can't say Walt can ever be seen as a tragic figure in this tale going forward, he chose evil due to his new circumstances, as well meaning as his inaction was (to save his family from the effects of him being exposed as a meth supplier), it was deliberate and calculating and when the house of cards come tumbling down on him, he will have brought it all upon himself and his family with a distinct path littered with dead bodies and broken families.

Walt's pragmatisim has gone very amoral. This is where his arc has progressed so far, in the beginning he only cooked meth to provide for his family after his impending death, but now, every moment he lives is time spent hoping for death and absolution (one can hope his moral compass gets righted, not holding my breath).

Does Walt turn into true anti-hero status make this show more interesting to watch, or simply provides us with Walt's growing irredeemability on display. I think most of us watching this show rooted for Walt for the most part as he juggled many situations to keep his secret meth cooker life from being revealed, otherwise when Walt does get out of the situations, the viewers would not sigh in relief that Walt gets to cook meth another day to keep his enterprise with Jesse going because their relationship dynamic was funny to watch. Now, do viewers root against Walt, hoping he finally gets caught because he has turned into an unrootable protagonist? Walt deserves every bad break coming his way.
Old 05-25-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I agree completely. Walt is almost beyond redemption at this point. I don't think he had much choice about giving her the money, though. He was under her boot heel at that point, and he really had no good choice. At least by giving her the money, he bought himself time to sort out his options. I'm reasonably sure he would have ended up killing her (as he was willing to do with other threats, like Tuco), so passively letting her die, while "an anchor on his soul," isn't as much of one as being an active participant in her death. Hell, he wouldn't have been in that position to choose if he hadn't come by the house to help Jesse; by letting her die, he solves his own problem and potentially solves the problem of her dragging Jesse down with her.

I did think it was amusing to hear Walt's disdain at Jesse using heroin, considering his new profession. I think he's lost fact of the idea that Meth isn't exactly aspirin.
Old 05-25-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That was cold, yo!
Old 05-25-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never thought of Walt as anything but a bastard though - I love to root for him despite him being a total prick and having done evil deeds... there have been many times when his pride and moral ambiguity have frustrated me, but it hasn't hurt the show IMO.

I can totally appreciate where you're coming from, but I guess we have different points of view. I just don't see how letting Jane die is much different from killing Crazy 8 in season 1. Jane was a villain and was dragging Jesse down, so it was inevitable. It's like The Sopranos - everyone loved Tony despite all his evil doings and until the final year, most people didn't want him to get caught/punished...Walt is a similar situation IMO.
Old 05-25-09, 03:12 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah Walt hasn't been a good person since season 1, episode 1. He's a selfish, arrogant criminal (and a prick) who's caused the death of several people by now. I bought everything in this episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.