DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/551149-battlestar-galactica-islanded-stream-stars-03-06-2009-3-left.html)

pinata242 03-06-09 08:46 AM

Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2158/...0e59cfbd_b.jpg

Spoiler:
As Galactica continues to deteriorate, Adama resists the need to abandon the ship and Baltar emerges as an unlikely voice of hope.

The end is coming quick. Only 3 more weeks / 4 more hours.

cleaver 03-06-09 09:36 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left

Help me out please with Earth.
Spoiler:
Was the 13th tribe, which settled on Earth, made up of humanoid cylons or humans? And if they were humanoid cylons was it just the 5 or 6 who discovered how to download, or was it humans who discovered how to live forever? And who was the 13th tribe fighting that nuked Earth? And when they got back to Cabol were the 1st 12 tribes fighting with the Centerion cylons?

Thanks

aintnosin 03-06-09 11:25 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 9309663)

I think we're still waiting for the answers to those questions.

cleaver 03-06-09 02:39 PM

Spoiler:
Was the 13th tribe, which settled on Earth, made up of humanoid cylons or humans? And if they were humanoid cylons was it just the 5 or 6 who discovered how to download, or was it humans who discovered how to live forever? And who was the 13th tribe fighting that nuked Earth? And when they got back to Cabol were the 1st 12 tribes fighting with the Centerion cylons?

Thanks

I found some answers here and here.
The key paragraph for me
Spoiler:
When Anders mentioned that the 12 Tribes' Centurions had already begun their attempt to create flesh bodies, this did not seem to surprise Anders. This may hint to the 13th Tribe's origins as they may have begun the same way. They as Cylons developed "flesh" bodies and the organic memory transfer technology on Kobol. However, after they found and settled on Earth, this resurrection technology was lost to time and had to be reinvented. The Final Five's negotiated deal with the 12 Tribes' Centurions seemed to be motivated by their desire to not repeat the cycle by giving the Centurions what the 13th Tribes ancestors had achieved. However, their reasoning for not allowing biological reproduction in the 8 humanoid models seemed to indicate a plan to bring Cylon and Human together.

Ayre 03-06-09 02:56 PM

I am struggling to make it to the end of this series. It's too freaking convoluted and slow. The show has shown its potential many times in the past, but the last episodes have been more of a let down than a build up.

gmanca 03-06-09 04:06 PM

According to a different promo:
Spoiler:
The Ship of Lights may be in this episode

Jason 03-06-09 04:49 PM

Speaking of Earth, are they still there? They can't jump and they have nowhere else to go. Are they just in orbit/in the solar system, or are they just aimlessly wandering in the great void of space? You know, kinda like what the writers are doing?

Sean O'Hara 03-06-09 10:02 PM

Another episode with next to no plot advancement.

But about the ad for next week (no spoilers) I'd love a poster of the shot of the hangar deck.

golden_rod 03-06-09 10:37 PM

Spoiler:

Thanks

All of those questions were answered in "No Exit."

Spoiler:
1. The 13th tribe were humanoid Cylons, created on Kobol.

2. The "Final Five" were tasked with re-discovering how to resurrect because the 13th tribe had lost the ability to do so with each successive generation because they had found a way to reproduce.

3. The 13th tribe built their own Centurions, which revolted and nuked them.

4. The "Final Five" never went back to Kobol, nor did anyone from the 13th tribe.

Cardiff Giant11 03-06-09 10:38 PM

man talk about a "meh" episode. They sure are sputtering towards the finale rather than revving it up like they did with the Mutiny episodes. I have a funny feeling the final payoff just isn't going to be worth it but I hope I'm wrong.

Patman 03-06-09 10:40 PM

Wow, could they hammer it home anymore that humans now have a way (unknown for now) to resurrect themselves a la Starbuck? Wouldn't the cylons be jealous of such a process?

Binger 03-06-09 10:49 PM

I couldn't help but laugh when Adama and Roslyn were smoking a blunt in the medical bay.

gmanca 03-06-09 11:39 PM

^ yeah and after one puff comes the existential "whoa" question: "What is home?"

If you were expecting tons of revelations, like I was for a bit, you might feel let down but it really was a good episode of BSG. The shot of Tigh and Adama drinking to Galactica was awesome.

The Canadian promo showed only half of that Cylon colony, with the spikes, so I thought it was the Ship of Lights, as possibly alluded to in Starbuck's drawings.

Draven 03-07-09 12:15 AM

Loved it from start to finish. I really feel like things are drawing to a close, all bets are off and anything goes.

This is how you build to a finale. Big changes (abandoning ship), small moments (Laura and Adama remembering their time on New Caprica) and some cool stuff (the dying 8's line from "All Along The Watchtower").

Cannot wait to see what happens.

grrr 03-07-09 12:17 AM

Roslin dying painfully slowly, though lucidly and wisely? Check.
Adama sobbing, throwing things, and generally acting like an out-of-control teenager? Check.
Irritating, incredibly foolish Baltar who can't recall a female officer he nailed? Check.

Yes, it's still post-season 2 BSG.

MrX 03-07-09 01:35 AM

This episode felt like I was watching last weeks all over again.

Super X 03-07-09 07:28 AM

And are we supposed to feel any sympathy for Boomer at this point? Any that might have been left was pretty much done with after last week's episode.

Jason 03-07-09 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Super X (Post 9311451)
And are we supposed to feel any sympathy for Boomer at this point? Any that might have been left was pretty much done with after last week's episode.

I think she is supposed to be a villian.

The episode wasn't bad, except when you remember that we only have a few left. I guess next weeks will be posturing about
Spoiler:
abandoning ship
and everything will happen in the big finale.

I can see how a lot of the characters will get closure
Spoiler:
mostly by dying
, but I don't see how they can ever resolve the actual premise of the show. Disappointing.

Sean O'Hara 03-07-09 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 9311251)
If you were expecting tons of revelations, like I was for a bit, you might feel let down but it really was a good episode of BSG.

The show's suffering the same problem as DS9 -- the final run of episodes is full of plots that do nothing to move us towards a conclusion, that would've been good in the first or second season but are disappointing when you want everything wrapped up.

Red Dog 03-07-09 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 9311329)
This episode felt like I was watching last weeks all over again.

This whole season has seemed like the same episode over and over again.

Cardiff Giant11 03-07-09 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by grrr (Post 9311283)
Roslin dying painfully slowly, though lucidly and wisely? Check.
Adama sobbing, throwing things, and generally acting like an out-of-control teenager? Check.
Irritating, incredibly foolish Baltar who can't recall a female officer he nailed? Check.

Yes, it's still post-season 2 BSG.

I agree I've had enough of Adama's sobbing and fits of rage. I also totally forgot that Baltar nailed Starbuck, thanks for the reminder. That really makes his playing the "who are you" kind of dumb.

pezsoup 03-07-09 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by grrr (Post 9311283)

Give him a break, she had short hair then.

TGM 03-07-09 11:39 AM

I figured out exactly what Kara Thrace is...

Spoiler:
an annoying twat

Kdogg 03-07-09 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 9311584)
This whole season has seemed like the same episode over and over again.

Well that is an underling theme of the series. :) All This Has Happened Before...

riley_dude 03-07-09 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Binger (Post 9311189)
I couldn't help but laugh when Adama and Roslyn were smoking a blunt in the medical bay.

I thought it was a cigar at first.
I guess its legal there?
Yeah, pretty slow episode. We still get it. They are all miserable.