Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left

The stuff with Roslin and Adama was boring. So was the toast at the end with Tigh and Adama. I'm sick of watching Adama throw hissy fits. I'm also tired of watching him give very stern orders only to change his mind soon after... he flat out said no cylon technology on his ship, then he said ok... he didn't want to abandon ship, then after a short chat with Roslin he said ok... wasn't it Dee who, with just a few simple words, got him to change his mind about reuniting the fleet with the people on New Caprica? And before that, he witnessed Billy and Dee together in the CIC and that little moment got him to change his mind about chasing the Cylons (or something like that).
Old 03-07-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: Battlestar Galactica -- "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" -- 03/06/2009 -- 3 Left

This episode bored me out of my skull. Nothing at all interesting happened and we learned nothing new (of interest)

I checked the time at 0:15, 0:21, 033, 0:36, 0:38, 0:38:30 and every 10 seconds from there and it just wouldn't end
Old 03-07-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
The stuff with Roslin and Adama was boring. So was the toast at the end with Tigh and Adama. I'm sick of watching Adama throw hissy fits. I'm also tired of watching him give very stern orders only to change his mind soon after... he flat out said no cylon technology on his ship, then he said ok... he didn't want to abandon ship, then after a short chat with Roslin he said ok... wasn't it Dee who, with just a few simple words, got him to change his mind about reuniting the fleet with the people on New Caprica? And before that, he witnessed Billy and Dee together in the CIC and that little moment got him to change his mind about chasing the Cylons (or something like that).
That's not as bad as the hypocrisy he showed with Helo -- remember when Starbuck was stranded on the planet, and he wouldn't halt the search and rescue operations until Roslin chewed him out, and afterwards he confessed that he would never have given up if Lee had been the one stranded; and then there's the time last season when he took a raptor to search for Roslin and the Basestar. But Helo wants to find his daughter and it's abso-frakkin'-lutely no.
Old 03-07-09, 03:19 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

BTW how do they get a little girl to cry like that?
Old 03-07-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd cry too if I were kidnapped by a murderer who looks freakishly like my mom.

Last edited by runner001; 03-07-09 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Watch the special features for "Meet Me in St. Louis." It usually involves threatening to kill small furry animals.
Old 03-07-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta agree with most everybody's comments. Pretty brutal episode. At this point...I just along for the ride 'till the end.
Old 03-07-09, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runner001
I'd cry too if I were kidnapped by a murderer who looks freakishly like my mom but.
This sentence made me think maybe the other number eight is really Candlejack in disguise and she ma
Old 03-07-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
they told her she still had three more episodes of this bullshit to shoot?
Old 03-08-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

This episode was rather slow. However, you can still see that they are showing progression of the characters as they are continually forced to come to grips with the situations at hand and in turn change even though they don't want to (e.g. Adam's 'change of minds' throughout the years).

Something I hadn't really thought about in a while were the computers for the cylon ships. What are they called again? Didn't somebody ask at one point who they were and how they arrived in their roles; only to be told the history was unsure?

Just when I think Baltar is going to chagne and redeeem himself (to an extent) he goes and plays the same part again and again. I suppose that was Six's comment to him, and us the viwer? I thought Starbuck was reaching out to him for answers only to have him turn back around use it for his own means to further his religious zealotry goals.

Did we ever get an answer for the Six in his head? Was it this projectial transference, but somehow stuck? Still doesn't explain the randomness of it.

Assuming the final 3 hours are amazing I'm going to have to go back and rewatch this series one day. If Galactica is jumped into that massive ship of "John's" as her final move, that will go a long way towards making it awesome. Speaking of which, when was the last time we had a massive space battle - the cylon civil war?
Old 03-08-09, 09:59 PM

So, Chief was oddly out of the picture during this episode. Was there not an investigation as to how Boomer escaped? I hate how they will completely ignore a plot point until the writers are ready to address it.
Old 03-08-09, 10:03 PM

Who the hell was Adama talking about when he said "I lost a son today, but I understand if you don't want to come to the funeral?"
Old 03-08-09, 10:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought he said he lost a son, too. Otherwise I have no idea.
Old 03-08-09, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Palaver
So, Chief was oddly out of the picture during this episode. Was there not an investigation as to how Boomer escaped? I hate how they will completely ignore a plot point until the writers are ready to address it.
Looks like it was just something that got cut. Found the information below at the Battlestar Galactica Wiki entry for the episode.

Chief Tyrol was no where to be seen in this episode. Even crewman Dealino gives a report to both Admiral Adama and Colonel Tigh of what the attitudes of the Cylons, particularly the Leobens, thought as to how many jumps Galactica had left in her. Bear McCreary reveals there is an extended scene on the DVD which shows Chief Tyrol is being held in Galactica's brig for his part in Boomer's escape.
Old 03-09-09, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Palaver
He's supposedly in the brig, but the scene was cut. There's going to be Olmos' "director's cut" of this episode on the DVD.
Old 03-09-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gmanca
I thought he said he lost a son, too. Otherwise I have no idea.
Yeah, he didn't say 'today'... He was just saying he knows what it's like to lose a child.
Old 03-09-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ya this doesn't really feel like the end of the series... They really could have cut out practically 1/3 or more of last season and rolled this one into it.

I'm in it for the long haul, and I'm at least somewhat intrigued by a few of the plots. I've been rewatching the old seasons, so that helps a bit.
Old 03-09-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just echoing the chorus of "meh" here.

I certainly hope some of the great revelations about what happened in the past are not being held for the Caprica series - that would be dumb. Everything feels like filler at this point.

Having just sold all my DVD's in anticipation of this summer's Blu-ray set, I'm not even sure now I'll rebuy it. Poor endings reflect badly on a dramatic series and make me want to not rewatch them.
Old 03-09-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I certainly hope some of the great revelations about what happened in the past are not being held for the Caprica series - that would be dumb.
It would be tragic to rely on that show to be a vehicle for this one.
Old 03-09-09, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Guess I'm in the minority but I've really been enjoying the last season.

I'm looking forward to going back and watching the whole series over from the beginning this Summer or later in the year.
Old 03-09-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

While another slow paced episode, I still feel like they're moving chess pieces. They've still got 3 hours to go and a lot can happen. Remember Moore is one of the people who wrote ST TNG's "All Good Things" which is still pretty highly regarded. I think it's pretty clear by now that while Moore is good at putting the concepts together and making sure the high-points are hit, he's not so great at the (necessary) low points in story arcs. Since he knows the series is done, he's probably taking his time getting all these little points in before the conclusion. I still think we're in for a whopper of a finale and that this season will play much better on DVD when you can watch several eps in a row for bigger chunks of the story.
Old 03-09-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
While another slow paced episode, I still feel like they're moving chess pieces. They've still got 3 hours to go and a lot can happen. Remember Moore is one of the people who wrote ST TNG's "All Good Things" which is still pretty highly regarded.
The problem is, TNG didn't need a lot of finality. It just ended on a high note. Even if "all good things" had been as crappy as the Enterprise finale, the story would have continued. BSG needs to END. All the storylines are supposed to be resolved, and while it probably won't end on a positive note, they can't just all sit around a card table and reminise at the end. I'm worried it's going to be rushed, and they'll end up just killing off about half the cast in the interests of closure.

Anybody start a pool yet to guess who actually makes it to the bitter end?
Old 03-09-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got to watch this episode and I was pleasantly suprised. The metaphor of the aging Galactica (the ship), representing the broken and tired remainder of humanity, is great. Cast reduction begins our closure.

I am now stoked for the ending. A lot can happen in a week.
Old 03-09-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone notice that the colony looks almost like the aliens ship from Independence Day?
Old 03-09-09, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Yeah, he didn't say 'today'... He was just saying he knows what it's like to lose a child.
Then why did he say, "I understand if you don't come to the funeral?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.