Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles -- "Ourselves Alone" -- 3/6/09

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles -- "Ourselves Alone" -- 3/6/09

Well it seems obvious that Cameron and Conner are an item in the future, and Jesse went back in time to disrupt that "future" by seperating Conner and Cameron.

Obviously she didn't watch the first Terminator film, because Skynet's attempt to kill Sarah Conner just led to the creation of John Conner. Of course, its probable - given the time travel theory espoused in at least the first Terminator, and T3 - and also this series - that the future has set "events" - may be altered - but in the end they will still appear. Thus, Skynet's creation is inevitable, John Conner's birth is inevitable, and Conner/Cameronc couple is inevitable ....... but the exact circumstances may be different.

It seems to me that logically Sarah Conner was meant to give birth to John Conner - but that Kyle Reese may not have been the original dad.
Old 03-08-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Jesse and Tyler gave us the info that John doesn't talk to anyone in the future, that he only talks to Cameron and that any human that wants to talk to him talks though Cameron. That's a really good piece of information IMO. Imagine the leader of all the human race and he only interacts with a machine.

Of course they could have developed Jessy/Tyler's story much better.
Old 03-08-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by awil1026
Old 03-08-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought this was a great episode, proving again that the Cameron/John-centric episodes are the best Sarah Conner Chronicles. :P I think they should have thought twice about making Sarah the focus of this show.
Old 03-08-09, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RD1973
Why introduce a character just to kill her after a while without ever having impacted the story? And why did she survive the suicide attempt just to be killed a few episodes later?
She did impact the story. Also, by surviving, she ramped up the tension between herself and the Connors, and by showing that she was meant to be killed, that really hammered home the depth of Jessie's hatred for the machine. However, I would like to know more as to why Jessie hates Cameron so much. Big fucking deal, she's a machine. WHY does she hate her...?
Old 03-08-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ratings dropped drastically again.
Old 03-08-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Good Christ the ratings was awful. 3M viewers.....all-time low.

Can it hang on for 5 more weeks until Prison Break returns? I'm inclined to think that FOX has nothing to lose at this point on Friday nights, especially since all the episodes are shot and paid for. I hope they will let it finish out.
Old 03-08-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After the previous 3 episodes it's hardly surprising. Plus you had a huge geek movie opening that night.
Old 03-08-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

They've killed any interest I've had in the show since they came back from the winter break and I still have no desire to watch this recent episode.
Old 03-08-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember that this show, specially now that is on Fridays, has big numbers in DVRs. It was mentioned here or in a previous thread, they even have a name for that, C7 or something like that. That includes the number of people that watched the show in DVR the next 7 days after the show was shown, something like that.
Old 03-08-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Ratings dropped drastically again.
Good. This show doesn't deserve higher ratings at this point.
Old 03-08-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
Remember that this show, specially now that is on Fridays, has big numbers in DVRs. It was mentioned here or in a previous thread, they even have a name for that, C7 or something like that. That includes the number of people that watched the show in DVR the next 7 days after the show was shown, something like that.
I don't even know why they bother to count dvr ratings.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of tracking ratings so advertisers can see how many people are watching the show and therefore how many people could potentially see their advertisements. If a lot of people watch the show, then more companies are willing to pay the network more money to advertise during that time slot. If nobody is watching then nobody is going to want to pay the network to advertise during that show and therefore the network is losing money and should cancel the show and put something else in the time slot that people watch and that advertisers will pay for.

I don't know about you guys, but when I watch a show on dvr I skip the commercials so the advertisers get nothing from me.

Take it to the extreme...a show could have 30 million viewers, but if EVERY SINGLE viewer dvrs it and watches it later then none of those 30 million viewers would have seen the commercials despite 30 million people watching the actual episode.

It seems to me that dvr numbers shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not a show gets picked up or not.
Old 03-08-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I think the main problem I had/have with the Riley/Jesse plot point was that it was a slowly developed storyline for uninteresting characters. The momentum of the show usually just dies when they are on screen.

I appreciate the idea of more complex multi-episode plots rather than Terminator of the week storylines, but I just never for a minute bought Riley as a love interest for John which I think was fundamental for that to work. You had to like her as a character, and her character just wasn't that likeable. BTW, I just looked the actress up on IMDB, and I'm stunned that she is only 18. She looked at least mid 20s.
Old 03-08-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked the future connor only interacting with only "her" so much that some humans are willing to go to extreme measures to change that.

BTW, has it been mentioned that "her" is Cameron ?
Old 03-09-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of tracking ratings so advertisers can see how many people are watching the show and therefore how many people could potentially see their advertisements. If a lot of people watch the show, then more companies are willing to pay the network more money to advertise during that time slot. If nobody is watching then nobody is going to want to pay the network to advertise during that show and therefore the network is losing money and should cancel the show and put something else in the time slot that people watch and that advertisers will pay for.

I don't know about you guys, but when I watch a show on dvr I skip the commercials so the advertisers get nothing from me.

Take it to the extreme...a show could have 30 million viewers, but if EVERY SINGLE viewer dvrs it and watches it later then none of those 30 million viewers would have seen the commercials despite 30 million people watching the actual episode.

It seems to me that dvr numbers shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not a show gets picked up or not.
I think they see some value in people watching the commercials in fast forward though. I remember an article about how they studied it and found out people still understood what the commercial was and on some level they got some advertising value out of it. I think I also heard that they are formatting commercials more these days so they are more easily watched in fast forward.

There was a fight over the 30 second skip awhile back that the companies had with the DVR folks. They didn't mind the 30 second skip, but they wanted to make sure it didn't just jump, but it fast forwarded for 30 seconds through the commercial. That's why most DVR's will show the content now during the 30 seconds instead of just jumping from point to point.
Old 03-09-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so happy with my Replay TV.

It has Commerical Advance, where it skips from fade out (at the end of a scene & beginning of commericals) to fade in (at the end of commericals to the beginning of the next scene). It also has a handy dandy button for 30 second skip (actual skip, not FF).
So in my case, advertisers don't get anything at all.
Old 03-09-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

eyeballs are eyeballs especially those that belong to the 18-49 segment. If there was a show that had 30 million viewers on DVR, advertisers would find a way to advertise on the show with product placement, sponsorships, etc.
Old 03-09-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm glad Riley is finally out of the picture. She had some really weird Lesbian sexual tension in every scene with Jessie. To top it off, I was really surprised that she admitted she loved her tonight.
Tension? I thought they were actual elsbians. wasnt this covered earlier in the season? Specifically the episode where they show where Riley came from.
Old 03-09-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This wasn't a bad episode at all . I liked it and I think it sets up a sort of "can't take it anymore " point and everyone realizes to succeed they need to work together. Also dvr does matter to networks because even if you watch it dvr you still get product placement which is also very important. I am usually not home so I watch the episodes on Hulu which is also gets you a little advertising .
Old 03-09-09, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
I liked the future connor only interacting with only "her" so much that some humans are willing to go to extreme measures to change that.

BTW, has it been mentioned that "her" is Cameron ?
But future Connor sent Cameron back. It has not been explicitly clarified if he sent back a Cameron he had just captured/retrofitted or if he sent back the one he has been 'interacting' with this whole time. However, we should note that Cameron often talks of her time with 'future John', so I think we're to assume it's the one he's been interacting with. Because of this, he had to capture Cameron and reprogram her at some given point in the future, and then spend a significant amount of time with her before sending her to 'present John'.

Therefore, our Cameron does not have the luxury of guaranteed survival to any given future point, as we are assured something has to happen to her. However, she could be 'destroyed' even after she helps 'future John' capture herself...her future is as uncertain as everyone else's.

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 03-09-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yeah, Jesse and Tyler gave us the info that John doesn't talk to anyone in the future, that he only talks to Cameron and that any human that wants to talk to him talks though Cameron. That's a really good piece of information IMO. Imagine the leader of all the human race and he only interacts with a machine.

Of course they could have developed Jessy/Tyler's story much better.
Right. It's an interesting arc and I was into it. But I agree that the characters weren't properly handled. Obviously over the last couple eps they've gone back to John being strangely attracted to Cameron and Cameron acting like she's emotionally bonding with him.
Old 03-09-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
eyeballs are eyeballs especially those that belong to the 18-49 segment. If there was a show that had 30 million viewers on DVR, advertisers would find a way to advertise on the show with product placement, sponsorships, etc.
so their brand new dodge truck would get stickers on the doors
Old 03-09-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
She did impact the story. Also, by surviving, she ramped up the tension between herself and the Connors, and by showing that she was meant to be killed, that really hammered home the depth of Jessie's hatred for the machine. However, I would like to know more as to why Jessie hates Cameron so much. Big fucking deal, she's a machine. WHY does she hate her...?
This was discussed when Jessie revealed her plan to Derek...Connor is making rash, questionable decisions in the future, and alienating himself from the humans. She blames Cameron.
Old 03-10-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

They're not UFO's
I know they're basically HK prototypes but it's still a boring subplot.