Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Heroes -- "Cold Wars" -- Volume 4: Fugitives -- 2/23/09

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Matt interrogates the captured Noah to find out how he began working with Nathan to abduct those with abilities. The information Matt uncovers leads Peter to a confrontation with the Hunter.

Old 02-23-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Heroes -- "Cold Wars" -- Volume 4: Fugitives -- 2/23/09

Posing a question:

Suppose only people that still enjoy this show posted, how many of us do you think there are?
Old 02-23-09, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Posing a question:

Suppose only people that still enjoy this show posted, how many of us do you think there are?
+1 here

I'm really not looking for any deep meaning or emotional investment from this show. I just want to be entertained for roughly 42 minutes (FF through commercials) and turn the world off for a little while. I like to mock the silly plotholes, sketchy acting, constant story & character reboots, and lack of direction. I do so fully realizing that even though this show isn't perfect, it still entertains me on some level. I don't understand why people feel the need to come in to some of these threads and waste their time bitching and moaning about a show they supposedly hate yet continue to watch. The amount of "That's it, I'm done" posts is beyond funny at this point.

You can apply this same defense against other (arguably) "every-new-episode-is-worse-than-the-last" shows that I watch (and enjoy) like Terminator and Prison Break.

/rant
Old 02-23-09, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I imagine a good amount of people still watch the show but refuse to post as many of us got tired of the 'this show sucks. I'm never watching again' and called them them out on it. If the show sucks, why do you post about it every week?
Old 02-23-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

If you look at the length of the threads, a lot of the people who have said they aren't watching anymore, aren't. Some of us are hoping Fuller can save the show.
Old 02-23-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still enjoy the show. It's just not very good, so it's hard to not talk about how dumb the show can be. This show is the equivalent of a popcorn movie for me: I sit back and enjoy, but part of my brain still acknowledges the parts that are poorly written and acted. But I'll try to keep my criticisms to myself this week, just because I'm also curious what the thread will look like.
Old 02-23-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Some of us are hoping Fuller can save the show.
Which is kinda ridiculous. He will have the final 6(is that what we decided on?) episodes. I don't think the storyline is the issue, it's the characters behaving out of character (Spainlinx's recent mention of Tracy becoming a cold blooded killer for example) that's the problem. Thinking one man can turn around this ship in that amount of time is preposterous.

I still enjoy the show and I do think they have made a lot of headway this season volume to get back on track. Lack of time travel not only solves a bunch of plot holes, but also keeps Hiro from doing dumb shit week-to-week. Toning down Peter's abilities is also a refreshing change of pace. With someone so powerful, you don't need anyone else. Mohinder "the Fly" Suresh has been all but absent so far. Sylar is once again evil. Noah treads a fine line like season one. Like Friday Night Lights, they are basically ignoring the existence of season 2 and any character introduced. Claire is... well, she hasn't changed a bit.

The writers appear to be listening to the fans and trying to fix things, it's just that the fans don't want to acknowledge it for some reason. My biggest gripe is tension. There is none when nobody dies. The only people that have died have been secondary, spawned from season 2 or villains. Kill a hero to ratchet up the tension.
Old 02-23-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FatTony
But I'll try to keep my criticisms to myself this week, just because I'm also curious what the thread will look like.
I think it'll look like a C.S.I. thread.
Old 02-23-09, 11:21 AM

...Sylar is once again evil...
Are you sure?

Old 02-23-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The writers appear to be listening to the fans and trying to fix things, it's just that the fans don't want to acknowledge it for some reason. My biggest gripe is tension. There is none when nobody dies. The only people that have died have been secondary, spawned from season 2 or villains. Kill a hero to ratchet up the tension.
That's my main problem with the show. They don't have the balls to kill off main characters and when they do "kill" off a character they just come back alive the next episode or even at the end of the episode like HRG. Lost manages to kills off their main characters while introducing new ones.

Also I would like Hiro to start becoming the bad ass future Hiro from season 1. I thought they would head that direction when he went back and talked with his mom, but he's still the same idiot that yells yatta all the fucking time.
Old 02-23-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it's ridiculous that some people here are making Fuller out to be some kind of savior. Because he's not. He's 1 writer and this is not his show.....It's Tim Kring's. Plus, Fuller is not going to write like 6 episodes, he may have some creative input in what the other staff writers are going with.

I think there are more people here who enjoy reading comments than actually posting them.
Old 02-23-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look I'm not saying Fuller is going to turn this show into the Wire. I am just hoping that maybe some of the dialogue will be less cringeworthy and the out and out ridiculous (Tracy murder type scene) stuff gets vetoed.

I am willing to ignore major continuity problems in the past, if from a certain point forward the show starts to follow its own logic. The "sentinel" storyline is a good one, and I hope it continues. I could do without some guy calling himself "rebel" and we're supposed to act like it's so cool and mysterious, but I think it's a positive direction if some care is taken in its execution.

I will try to watch the remaining episodes with an open mind.
Old 02-23-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

The real question is, how boring would the thread be if only the people who enjoyed the show and hated the criticism about it posted.

I agree that rant after rant of "this show sucks" with no analysis of what makes it suck is not fun to read. But neither is "I turned my brain off at the door and this show is awesome" over and over. I'm not saying that that's what this thread would devolve into without the detractors, but I'd still like to see people who love this show post about why they love it, and not just that it's mindless fun.
Old 02-23-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am just a television fan in general, and I love this message board. I like to talk about shows I watch, whether I am enjoying them or not. I just try to express why I like or dislike a show if I'm going to talk about it.
Old 02-23-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I just try to express why I like or dislike a show if I'm going to talk about it.
Which is great. It's the constant thread-crapping that adds nothing to the discussion that gets annoying. The only time that I'm brief is if I watch the show so late(I watched last weeks episode last night) that the discussion is so dead that anything I add has already been posted.
Old 02-23-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Which is great. It's the constant thread-crapping that adds nothing to the discussion that gets annoying. The only time that I'm brief is if I watch the show so late(I watched last weeks episode last night) that the discussion is so dead that anything I add has already been posted.
100% correct. It's comments like:

"This show makes me want to gouge my eyes out"

that drives me nuts. I like to read criticism, just as long as they can back it up with something.
Old 02-23-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to an episode. I've been watching Heroes on dvr whenever I get around to it, but I thought last week's was fairly decent and I actually kind of like the addition of Dan Byrd as Sylar's sidekick - the dude is pretty funny. I'm still hoping that Fuller's imminent return brings some magic with it, but I think they are on the right track...
Old 02-23-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, that was one poorly directed episode of Heroes in its 3 seasons so far. Plus the "conflict" dialogue between Parkman and Mohinder was laughably and badly written.
Old 02-23-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys know what sucks about reading minds?

You can only see memories in black and white.
Old 02-23-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I kept wondering why Parkman wasn't literally seeing HRG's point of view for his memories. That would have been the way to go with his mind rape of HRG.
Old 02-23-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
You guys know what sucks about reading minds?

You can only see memories in black and white.
At least you get a subtitle telling you exactly when the memory took place..
Old 02-23-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man, I never thought an HRG-centric episode could be so boooooooooring.

He's good, he's bad, he's good, he's bad....tired is more like it.

When the hell is Sylar's dad showing up? I'm starting to get pissed at this lack of payout.
Old 02-24-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In keeping with my earlier post, let me first say that I still found the show entertaining, but it was still dumb, if only because it tread the same HRG flashback/"morally gray" story we've seen before.

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
When the hell is Sylar's dad showing up?
If I were a betting man, I'd say that the head of the strike team (whatever his name is) is Sylar's dad. That would provoke the kind of "WTF!?" reaction in the writer's room that they seem to be aching to get out of fans of this show.

Last edited by FatTony; 02-24-09 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually didn't mind this episode too much; sure there were problems with the crappy memories scenes (Angela and HRG only looking at each other on the last word of a sentence, lack of POV, some of the Parkman-Mohinder stuff), but it was the best episode of the season's return.

Plus, I like the whole prison angle with cells designed to be opposite to the powers; that technique was used in an Avengers Annual where the Avengers get arrested by the Government because they are too powerful.
Old 02-24-09, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

That's my main problem with the show. They don't have the balls to kill off main characters and when they do "kill" off a character they just come back alive the next episode or even at the end of the episode like HRG. Lost manages to kills off their main characters while introducing new ones.
There is no reason to kill off main characters, I rather died of this death theme people seem so obsessed with.

Hiro still needs his powers back to some degree, give him back all his powers other then time travel or limited time travel, a few minutes or so.

They only did this with their powers because Super Peter could end this now, even just Hiro could do a good job.

Appears Matt cannot just make all those people stop that were coming to take him in, I thought he had gotten pwoerful enough to do that.

Everyone is getting angry at those with powers, well, you came after us, what do you think will happen............

As always though I enjoy this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.