Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Burn Notice -- "Bad Breaks" -- 2/12/09

Burn Notice

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Michael and the troublesome Jason Bly are trapped together during a bank robbery. Despite Bly's original intentions to force Michael to forfeit blackmail materials, the pair must work together to survive the robbery.

Sorry, spaced out and totally forgot about doing this thread. If anyone watched, please fire away!!
Old 02-13-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- "Bad Breaks" -- 2/12/09

I liked that this acknowledges past guest stars and encourages continuity. Much better crafted than the Leverage bunch being trapped in a bank robbery.

I've been thinking about who would want all this to go down on Michael and how they'll end the series. For some reason, something tells me that Sam will be behind all of this.
Old 02-13-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

devils: An interesting theory, but I don't think this show is that smart. Although I could see it being Fie.

Or Michael's dad.
Old 02-13-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked this episode. It was a nice change of pace from the usual sting/scam operations they runs.

I just got caught up with this show by marathon watching the first season and a half. It's amazing how annoying the way they string along the main plot is when you have to wait a week between each episode. A number leads to name the next week, which leads to a person the next week, which leads to a file the next week, which leads to a .....
Old 02-13-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I liked this episode. It was a nice change of pace from the usual sting/scam operations they runs.

I just got caught up with this show by marathon watching the first season and a half. It's amazing how annoying the way they string along the main plot is when you have to wait a week between each episode. A number leads to name the next week, which leads to a person the next week, which leads to a file the next week, which leads to a .....
Yeah that bothers me sometimes, and I really like the show. Sometimes if im in a time crunch, I will fast forward through the weekly sting operation till the end to get 5 seconds of the ongoing arc. Which reminds me, I need to watch last nights ep
Old 02-13-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir

Frankly, I like the standalone helping-some-random-person out stories more than the overall arc.
Old 02-13-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the format; for folks who want to view sporadically it has the popcorn effect of having a self contained episode (usually). And for the fans of the show there is another layer which leaves the viewer wondering where things are headed. And I like the way they've been weaving in some returning folks (the arms dealer last week and Bly this week)

Devils - I think that is an interesting theory. I get the feeling that there is a lot more to Sam then we've been shown, though I'm not sure he is pulling the strings (though perhaps he has some involvement).
Old 02-13-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
Devils - I think that is an interesting theory. I get the feeling that there is a lot more to Sam then we've been shown, though I'm not sure he is pulling the strings (though perhaps he has some involvement).
Everytime I hear the opening about Sam being "an old friend that used to inform on you to the FBI" I think of the phrase, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer." If anyone knows every move that Michael is making in finding out about who put the burn notice on him, it's Sam, who seems to jump quicker than Fi to help Michael out?

Just an assumption and with 6 more seasons, we'll see.
Old 02-14-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Frankly, I like the standalone helping-some-random-person out stories more than the overall arc.
Me too. It's like the A-Team and McGyver mixed together. It's always fun to see the bad guys get scammed.
Old 02-14-09, 10:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Me too. It's like the A-Team and McGyver mixed together. It's always fun to see the bad guys get scammed.
then you'd LOVE "Leverage" on TNT.
Old 02-14-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmmm. I may look into that one.
Old 02-14-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Another GREAT episode, and glad Michael picked up another ally

Love how Michael created all the "bad luck" for the bank robbers without anyone suspecting. The tiff between Sam and Fi and who gets called first was amusing.

And, despite everything else, Mike loves his mom.
Old 02-14-09, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great episode. For me Burn Notice can do no wrong. Stand-alone or arc, I love em all.

I wouldn't compare Burn Notice to Leverage. Though both shows are about "helping people", Leverage is more about the game/con like Hustle.

Westin and company are more altruistic, they still need to be payed, but only take what they needed for the job/con.
Old 02-15-09, 07:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I liked it and a nice change from the formula.
Old 02-16-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a marathon of BN, and was entertained by all of them. I have to say though after seeing Fiona in a bikini a couple of times, that chick needs to put on weight. I know that she's had a few kids, but she definitely could stand to add some pounds.

And I would be shocked if the person behind the burn notice was someone that we've known all along.