Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monday Night = Obama Night

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Monday Night = Obama Night

Political opinions aside, I think its important to post this because a lot of our shows will be affected by this.

President Obama's desire to talk -- and talk, and talk -- to the American public could cost broadcast networks millions, and millions, and millions of prime-time TV dollars.

Broadcasters are bracing themselves for the likelihood of three prime-time interruptions in three weeks, totaling at least three hours of prime time -- and ad breaks -- yanked.

"His economic stimulus package apparently does not extend to the TV networks," one network exec noted.

Obama's reps have alerted broadcasters that the president will hold a news conference Monday, according to network execs. It's expected to eat up the first hour of prime time; that alone could cost broadcasters more than $9 million in lost ad revenue.

Obama's also mulling a shorter prime-time appearance Feb. 16 tied to the economic stimulus package. And White House officials have said that on Feb. 24, Obama will address a joint session of Congress to give the equivalent of a two-hour State of the Union speech. Traditionally, the address to the joint houses of Congress given by the newly elected president is not called the SOTU; that'll be next year's speech.

That one, the broadcast networks were expecting; they budget for a State of the Union/Whatev address to preempt two hours of prime time every year around this time.

The networks were awaiting more information about the two Monday prime-time appearances at press time. "They're playing very close to the vest," one network exec told the TV Column.

Monday preemptions are particularly problematic for broadcasters, what with it becoming one of the most competitive nights this season. This Monday at 8, for instance, to accommodate Obamavision, Fox would have to pull an original episode of its extremely popular "House." Price tag: about $3 million.

CBS would have to yank two of its successful sitcoms, "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother," though the network would probably swap its expected-to-be-low-rated "Worst Week" at 9:30 p.m. for the "Big Bang" episode. Final price tag: about $2 mil.

ABC would probably start "The Bachelor" at 9 instead of 8, and scrub its 10 p.m. reality series "True Beauty." Price tag: $1.5 million-ish.

And NBC might chose to preempt "Chuck." Price tag: $1.5 million to $2 million.

Of course, Obama has picked one of the biggest viewership nights of the week for his appearances.

"Notice they're not going on Friday or Saturday," one network exec complained. "They're . . . preempting our better shows. You're not happy to lose a 'House' if you are Fox, or two of the better comedies at CBS, or 'The Bachelor' at ABC -- we're all going to take a bath."

The next week, even if Obama speaks for only about 15 minutes, that's an ad break that the networks won't get back, adding to their losses.

Although the broadcast networks can opt out of carrying these presidential appearances, "you don't want to incur the wrath of the White House" because "if you're on the [poop] list, you are last in line for interviews and things like that," one network exec explained.

But besides the economic hit, broadcasters are worried that this kind of shock-and-awe approach to prime-time preempting might be part of an Obama strategy to charm his way to a new economic-rescue plan. "As we're meeting this guy, from a network perspective, it's like, 'Is this part of the plan for him?' " the network exec said. "Is this what it's going to be: Is he going to take to the airwaves every time he has something to say?"

Such a strategy, of course, could backfire.

"Do people really want to come home after looking for a job, or after being at a job they hate, sit down to veg out in front of their favorite show -- and he's on again?" said one TV suit, who suspects/hopes the Average Joe's reaction to too much Obamavision might be "nothing he's going to say is going to help me get a job, or put food on the table."

Said the TV suit: "He could lose a lot of goodwill doing this."
Old 02-06-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Monday Night = Obama Night

This is still a free country right? Why can't the networks decide to show whatever they want that night?

I can't fault Obama though, he is trying to keep people in the loop, when what we're used to is only hearing about Presidential flubs every few weeks.
Old 02-06-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't fuck with Lost.
Old 02-06-09, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
This is still a free country right? Why can't the networks decide to show whatever they want that night?

I can't fault Obama though, he is trying to keep people in the loop, when what we're used to is only hearing about Presidential flubs every few weeks.
Piss off the White House and not get interviews for their newslets? Not going to happen. Instead, they get to eat the loss and we get to sit through something they could have just done on Saturday/Sunday.
Old 02-06-09, 02:02 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Just don't f@ck with _____________.
A. Lost
B. Heroes
C. 24
D. Fringe
E. The Office
F. Survivor
G. Scrubs
H. American Idol
I. Other: _________________
Fixed.
Old 02-06-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn I hate this stuff.
Old 02-06-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

He can have Monday nights for all I care. Except for Dancing with the Stars, which hasn't started yet, all my Monday stuff is CW, and they never showed Prez speeches, or college hoops on ESPN. Plus every other Monday is bowling night for me anyhow.

If he is going to pick a night Monday through Thursday, let it be Monday.
Old 02-06-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Dog
He can have Monday nights for all I care.
Wow. No Heroes, 24, House, or Chuck? What a boring Monday.
Old 02-06-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I don't think those shows are Red Dog's cup of tea. So he could care less.

Obama should do this on a Friday night.
Old 02-06-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

On the contrary, I got bowling in the winter/spring, Monday Night Football in the fall, Big Monday College Hoops in the winter, Dancing with the Stars (the actual competition night) and my CW shows (including one with a much more interesting Chuck. ). I'm quite content with that. I don't need Heroes, 24, and House ruining my contentment.

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-06-09 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is great I actually think that is how the President and the government should interact with the people (they do work FOR us right) but isn't that what C-SPAN is for?
Old 02-06-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
Obama should do this on a Friday night.
They'll never do these things on a Friday night because they know less people are home.
Old 02-06-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like TV as much as anyone here, but um... does anyone here ever, like, go OUT?
Old 02-06-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I like TV as much as anyone here, but um... does anyone here ever, like, go OUT?
I work nights so all my TV viewing Sunday-Thursday is done past 11pm before I hit the sack. And yes, I try to do other things on my days off than be a couch potato.
Old 02-06-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wife. Check. Two kids check. Full time job. Check. No, I don't go out on weeknights except to visit the parents.
Old 02-06-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Mondays I usually watch Heroes, 24, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and Monday Night Raw. It usually takes like 3 and a half hours, tops. Raw is what takes the longest being as it has too much stuff I don't want to fast forward through. This is why DVR's were created.
Old 02-06-09, 03:31 PM
Suspended

No. I might go out on Saturday night to visit my parents (or GFs parents), but I'm not someone that does things since I work full time.
Old 02-06-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do it in prime time? Why not just do it it 7 Eastern, and then replay it at 7 Pacific for those of us out here. It's not like most of the West Coast is home by 5 to hear it live anyway. Move it to 7, spend an evening without Wheel and Jeopardy, and get the speech done. Use a west coast replay, since they're not gonna see it live anyway.

These preemptions are awful for the West Coast because we're not directly effected by the speech itself. We lose the shows because of the East Coast. And then get tacked on reruns in prime time.
Old 02-06-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I have to say to these responses (aside from Michael Corvin's which makes sense) is... weird.
Old 02-06-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With all these shows that just started back up, I am already way backed up on my DVR. I would actually welcome a few pre-exemptions right now.
Old 02-06-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I do not get is why he has to be on cbs, abc, nbc, fox, wor, wpix, wnet and a bunch of cable channels. They should just run this on the news feeds and pbs.
Old 02-06-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This should not affect CSI Miami for the 10pm slot?
Old 02-06-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

They should just restrict Obamas speeches to CNN, MSNBC etc

if you don't get those channels then listen to the speeches on the radio.
Old 02-06-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
They should just restrict Obamas speeches to CNN, MSNBC etc

if you don't get those channels then listen to the speeches on the radio.

If the networks don't air the speeches, then they risk people tuning into the stations that do. Then they lose viewership and ratings.
Old 02-06-09, 04:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing
Why do it in prime time? Move it to 7, spend an evening without Wheel and Jeopardy, and get the speech done.
See, this is what I've always wondered, too. Even the 7:30 spot would work fine when you're only doing a 15-30 minute speech. Anyone who cares will be available just as easily as they would be a half hour later.

And while it would be a nightmare for DVRs, I wonder if networks will have to start going back to the old way of simply starting their lineup (in its entirety) a half hour or whatever later. Especially Fox, who doesn't even broadcast in the 10/9 Central hour. Yeah, they have local news... but if local news can be delayed for other live events like sports or award shows, why not here?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.