Life on Mars -- "The Dark Side of the Mook" -- 2/4/09

Old 02-04-09, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Life on Mars -- "The Dark Side of the Mook" -- 2/4/09

Life on Mars

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The squad investigates a series of decapitations, and Ray's shady brother, Eddie (Eric Balfour), may be involved. But there are also connections to a biker, a Wall Street exec and a badly disfigured man.

Old 02-04-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Life on Mars -- "The Dark Side of the Mook" -- 2/4/09

Is it wrong that I actually want to watch this show more than LOST come Wednesday?!?
Old 02-04-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i caught up with about 4 episodes on my DVD this week and i feel like i missed a part 2 of one of them. was there a continuation that they never finished or am i going a bit crazy.
Old 02-04-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 628 Posts

What are you talking about?

I also just caught up on the last few eps.
Old 02-05-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
i caught up with about 4 episodes on my DVD this week and i feel like i missed a part 2 of one of them. was there a continuation that they never finished or am i going a bit crazy.
Tonight's Episode was a closer follow up to the fall finale than last week's episode. That's why you might be feeling a bit lost.
Old 02-05-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

so how much sci-fi is in this show? other than going back in time is there anything else? i dont like much sci-fi but a 70's era cop show sounds cool.
Old 02-05-09, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
so how much sci-fi is in this show? other than going back in time is there anything else? i dont like much sci-fi but a 70's era cop show sounds cool.
It's more like a 70's Police procedural with some small elements of Sci-Fi.

Why are you all of the sudden curious about this show now? The season is almost half over.
Old 02-05-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

decent episode but yet another lame fight scene (in the biker bar) that was just as bad as the previous weeks fight scene in the spa..enough with the slapstick fist fights!!
also seen that whole drinking contest trick in a movie or tv show before..just cant remember which
Old 02-05-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Why are you all of the sudden curious about this show now? The season is almost half over.
Because they finally started pimping the hell out of it and making it look cool. I wish they'd given it this much attention when it actually premiered because I would have watched it from the start.
Old 02-05-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Thought tonight's episode was kinda meh.
Old 02-05-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the long hiatus was a big mistake and all the promotion they are doing now is kind of a waste, because I can see how anyone just starting to watch now would be confused. I have watched all the episodes as they aired from the beginning, but I don't remember the details of the earlier episodes that they keep referring to. I thought this episode was so-so. The biker bar scene was like something out of Walker, Texas Ranger.
Old 02-05-09, 10:01 AM

this show was shown out of order. It should have been shown last week after the come back. there was no mention of Tyler's hook-up. and then the scenes for next week show the hook-up as if it were the next day.
Old 02-05-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DocBrass View Post
this show was shown out of order. It should have been shown last week after the come back. there was no mention of Tyler's hook-up. and then the scenes for next week show the hook-up as if it were the next day.
Yeah, it's a little frustrating. Did it seem to anyone else that the interviews with investigator were reshoots added in to make it a little cohesive for new viewers jumping in with last week's episode? I got that feeling when Sam mentioned the Russians - did they even figure into pre-break episodes (I honestly can't remember)?

I really hate to be one of those "the Brit version's much better" folks - believe me, that got really tiresome during in the early "Office" threads - but ever since watching the original over the break, I'm feeling that one much more. I love the sci-fi elements and they are greatly downplayed in the US version.

But I realize the shows are two different beasts. The original had a much more limited airing so it could get away with packing each episode with Sam trying to solve that mystery. Should the US version last for multiple seasons, that could get old really old.

I'm still going to watch as I enjoy the US version, though.
Old 02-05-09, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
Because they finally started pimping the hell out of it and making it look cool. I wish they'd given it this much attention when it actually premiered because I would have watched it from the start.
exactly. i had never even seen a commercial for it until last night.
Old 02-05-09, 03:40 PM

I think it was lost because it started on Thursday aft Grey's Anatomy. not exactly the same audience.
I watched the UK version and I liked the sci-fi approach more. you just knew that it couldn't be pulled off for ABC. this show has got the look and feel of the 70s cop drama and its interesting to se how Sam Tyler is trying to fit in.
Old 02-06-09, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk God

You make it sound like the commercials just magically appeared out of nowhere. I don't know how often some of you watch ABC, but I remember seeing spots for Life on Mars in late August and all through September plugging the October premiere. However, I do kind of agree that some of you may not have paid attention to this show since alot of you here don't watch Grey's Anatomy and it followed Grey's on Thursday nights until the hiatus. Plus CBS and NBC programs normally dominate Thursday nights as far as thread discussions go.

However, there have been threads here for every episode that has aired. Unless you thought Life on Mars was some space science fiction show like Star Trek??

Last edited by DJariya; 02-06-09 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-06-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watch Grey's Anatomy and I remember seeing lots of commercials before it started airing.
Old 02-06-09, 11:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Was this the first show with the voice from the future? I only occasionally watch the show and don't remember it from before. It was something I missed from the British version.
Old 02-06-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan View Post
Was this the first show with the voice from the future? I only occasionally watch the show and don't remember it from before. It was something I missed from the British version.
No, the last episode aired in November ended with Sam answering the phone and being directed to the basement. This week's episode was the sequel to that episode.
Old 02-06-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

I feel this is easily the best new show of the past season...too bad it's probably not going to see Season 2 (and probably not have its storyline resolved, either - which is going to suck).

LIFE ON MARS is too good for Network TV - it probably would have done nicely on HBO or SHOWTIME.
Old 02-08-09, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
But I realize the shows are two different beasts. The original had a much more limited airing so it could get away with packing each episode with Sam trying to solve that mystery. Should the US version last for multiple seasons, that could get old really old.

I'm still going to watch as I enjoy the US version, though.
ya i agree but i am hoping the show will last 3 seasons but they will have to find a way to keep him in the past but hey look at prison break they escaped jail in season 2 but made it 2 more seasons
Old 02-08-09, 11:06 PM

Life On Mars is my favorite drama on network TV.

As an aside, Sam Tyler looks like Mel Gibson, but sounds like George Clooney.
Old 02-09-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 628 Posts

Yeah this ep was ok but it didn't blow me away. But it's still better than a lot of shows out there so it even with this ep being just ok, it still comes out ahead.

Sadly, I could totally relate to Ray's situation with his brother....
Old 02-13-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 854 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by DocBrass View Post
finally catching up on this, and this is exactly what i said. this should've been the 1st show after the hiatus. explained what Sam did at the house down in the basement. doesn't make any sense out of order since the week before tyler hooked up with the Lou's daughter.
Old 02-13-09, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I remember seeing spots for Life on Mars in late August and all through September plugging the October premiere.
Yup!

Great episode btw....