Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Wire: Come watch the greatest crime series ever with me. . .

Going through this again, Im tempted to watch the series all over again... Maybe will do that over my holiday in the next month.
Old 12-02-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just finished Season 5. Wow, wished I hadn't let me disinterest in S2 keep me from moving forward, because the show definitely picks back up.

I'm going to rewatch the first two seasons again, since it's been a year since i've seen them, can't wait.

My favorite character ending up being the Stansfield soldier Chris. He sends chills down my spine.
Old 12-02-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really can appreciate Season Two once you're re-watching the series after you've seen the whole thing once or twice.

Season Two wasn't appreciated upon first viewing because people wanted to see more of the gangbangers, not NEW characters. But watched on its own, it pulls at your heartstrings, the fates of the dock workers. It truly does.
Old 12-02-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that s2 is better on second viewing and knowing it's place in the series. But I still cant get over Ziggy. His character was a bit of a stretch. No way most of those bigger players are dicking around with that fuck-up.
Old 12-03-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I agree that s2 is better on second viewing and knowing it's place in the series. But I still cant get over Ziggy. His character was a bit of a stretch. No way most of those bigger players are dicking around with that fuck-up.
On subsequent viewings of S2, I really felt bad for Ziggy, even though he was obnoxious. He felt he had so much to prove, yet he possessed neither the wit nor the brawn to carry through. He's the one who shoulda went off to college, not his brother (who is not seen in the series - but I wonder if the brother was worse or better than Ziggy).
Old 12-03-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
You really can appreciate Season Two once you're re-watching the series after you've seen the whole thing once or twice.
I consider Season 2 to be the greatest single season of any television series I've ever seen.
Old 12-03-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two is my least favorite of the series. The last season softened that a bit when it tied off some of the plot lines found in that series, but it still sorta feels like it was a spin-off and not part of the greater continuity until the 5th season.

Maybe my 2nd viewing would help that some.

And for those who follow prowrestling still, you can spot Vladimir Kozlov as a giant thug a few times that season.
Old 12-03-10, 10:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Watching 2 a second time helps a massive amount in the appreciation.

And there is no question in my mind that The Wire is still the greatest show ever on Television.
Old 12-04-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently watched all seasons of The Wire for the first time, in the span of 4-5 months. It was absolutely stunning. Although I too felt that S2 wasn't as good as the other 4 seasons, it was still excellent.

Here's what I posted in the series finale thread:
I just today watched the last episode, having now seen all five season on In Demand over the last few months.

I just don't know what to say. This is one of the greatest series that has ever been televised. Never a dip in quality that befalls other series, The Wire was excellent the whole way through. It showed the drug trade from every angle; the police, the dealers, the kingpins, the suppliers, the addicts, the children, the politicians, the education system, the victims, the media. Every season had a different focus without losing sight of the main plot.
Not just a procedural, you felt for every character. It was good to see so many familiar faces too. Now this is the way you end a series. It doesn't mean that everything needs to END, but at least provide something satisfying and this was certainly it. Some victories, some defeats, and even some heartbreakers. At least Bubbles was allowed out of the basement. I am actually sad that it's over.

TWO EMMY NOMINATIONS FOR WRITING?!? THAT'S IT!
Old 10-30-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you think Wee-Bay suspected D'Angelo for the reason why
Spoiler:
the cops were able to find him in Philly to easily? (And it was D'Angelo who snitched about his whereabouts.)
If so, I'm surprised he let it go, considering
Spoiler:
the sentence Wee-Bay wound up facing.
Old 10-30-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't know but Wee-Bey is still waiting on that tater salad.
Old 10-30-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For once, every word of hype is true, this show is every bit as extraordinary as the fans would have you believe, and one of the great artistic achievements of the last decade. I'm finished, and applause all around, it was nothing short of incredible.
Old 10-30-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I see the actor who played Bubbles in other things I get momentarily confused like my mind actually thought he was really homeless.

My first thought is "Well, he cleaned up well. Good for him!"
Old 10-30-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I love season 2. If it weren't for Season 4 being the single greatest achievement in the history of television. I'd consider it the best season.

I'd rank them in this order

1. season 4
2. season 2
3. season 1
4. season 3
5. season 5
Old 10-31-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I don't know but Wee-Bey is still waiting on that tater salad.
Slaw just don't cut it.
Old 11-20-13, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

OK after years of reading about how great of a show this is I have finally decided to watch the entire series after 2 previous attempts (the first I got bored during s2 and quit and the second s3). I'm glad I did, this is such a great show with great characters. I have 2 episodes left but before I finish it up I need a couple questions answered. This whole scheme Jimmy cooked up with the homeless man killings has me confused. Is he doing this to get the city's attention so he could pin it on Marlow? Also, the reporter claimed the killer had called his cell phone (before Jimmy called acting like the killer.) This was a lie, right? What was the pint of that? Last question...Marlow decides to go around Prop Joe and meet with the Greeks but his 'gift' was refused because it was "dirty" money but then he goes to Prop Joe for 'clean' money. This has me confused as well because wasnt he trying to cut out Prop Joe and take the connect for himself and keep this a secret from him?
Another thing I noticed is how all the old school gangsters in the 'co-op' kept quiet when Marlow pretty much told them all to go fk themselves in the meeting where he told them all how he was responsible for Prop Joes death because he went after Omar and the price of the bricks was going up. This is a 22 yr old guy dealing with all these old school gangsters. Just found it hard to believe all of them would have kept quiet like that.
Last question. Was there any significance to Omar's tag getting mixed up with the other dead body at the coroners?

Last edited by JZ1276; 11-20-13 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 10:21 PM

I guess there is nobody left watching this show. Just finished. Not crazy about the final season. The montage at the end was good but I expected something to come out of Avon helping out Marlow take over. I especially did not like Omar getting killed by some random little kid and Marlow getting off. Guess theres no need to spoilerize.
Old 11-21-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Omar sees Kenard walk in, but seeing just a little boy, pays no attention to him. Kenard shoots Omar in the side of the head, killing him. This brings closure to some of the foreshadowing in Season 3, as Kenard was the young boy Bunk witnessed imitating Omar at the Barksdale stash house shootout.
Old 11-22-13, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
Omar sees Kenard walk in, but seeing just a little boy, pays no attention to him. Kenard shoots Omar in the side of the head, killing him. This brings closure to some of the foreshadowing in Season 3, as Kenard was the young boy Bunk witnessed imitating Omar at the Barksdale stash house shootout.
Thanks for the recap but like I said, I just finished watching.
Old 11-22-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Marlowe doesn't get killed, he get legitimized and loses the only thing he ever cared about, his street cred. Given Simon's views, I'm sure having Omar killed with a whimper than a bang was part of a statement about him to de-mythologize him.
Old 11-22-13, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Marlowe doesn't get killed, he get legitimized and loses the only thing he ever cared about, his street cred. Given Simon's views, I'm sure having Omar killed with a whimper than a bang was part of a statement about him to de-mythologize him.
I never said anything about Marlow getting killed. I sdont think he lost his street cred either. His very last scene was him leaving the party he was at with Levi and stepping to the two dudes outside for no reason. That was to prove to himself he still had 'it' on the street.
Old 11-22-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I never said anything about Marlow getting killed. I sdont think he lost his street cred either. His very last scene was him leaving the party he was at with Levi and stepping to the two dudes outside for no reason. That was to prove to himself he still had 'it' on the street.
Yeah, but they didn't know who the hell he was, or care. That's what's most important to Marlo, remember his "my name is my name" speech in the previous episode? His name won't ring out in the streets anymore now that he's just a businessman.

Omar's death is one of the most important moments of the series, no matter how much of a "legend" you are, you can get taken out by a single bullet for no reason other than the next person in line wanting to make a name for themselves.
Old 11-22-13, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah, but they didn't know who the hell he was, or care. That's what's most important to Marlo, remember his "my name is my name" speech in the previous episode? His name won't ring out in the streets anymore now that he's just a businessman.

Omar's death is one of the most important moments of the series, no matter how much of a "legend" you are, you can get taken out by a single bullet for no reason other than the next person in line wanting to make a name for themselves.
Let me ask, was that scene with Marlow at the party with Levi right after he walked on the drug chargers or was it awhile after? Reason I ask is because I dont see anyone forgetting Marlow in such a short time.

Also, I asked this question a few threads up and still want to know...

Marlow decides to go around Prop Joe and meet with the Greeks but his 'gift' was refused because it was "dirty" money but then he goes to Prop Joe for 'clean' money. This has me confused as well because wasnt he trying to cut out Prop Joe and take the connect for himself and keep this a secret from him?
Old 11-23-13, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Marlow decides to go around Prop Joe and meet with the Greeks but his 'gift' was refused because it was "dirty" money but then he goes to Prop Joe for 'clean' money. This has me confused as well because wasnt he trying to cut out Prop Joe and take the connect for himself and keep this a secret from him?
Joe had no idea where the clean money was going or that Marlo was meeting with the Greeks. He was essentially doing a favor for a member of the co-op (and taking a cut on the cleaning process).
Old 11-23-13, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan
Joe had no idea where the clean money was going or that Marlo was meeting with the Greeks. He was essentially doing a favor for a member of the co-op (and taking a cut on the cleaning process).
Oh ok. Still dont like how they concluded Marlo storyline, or Omar's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.