TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- 2-hour Season 5 Premiere -- "Because you left/The Lie" -- 1/21/09

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2-hour Season 5 Premiere -- "Because you left/The Lie" -- 1/21/09

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
That is the question indeed. It is apparent that Albert and the Others are not flashing through time.

Perhaps the island is not allowing Albert's group to flashback to the past to protect from a paradox situation.
[Arzt]It's Alpert! A-L-P-E-R-T[/Arzt]
Old 01-22-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
if i wanted to think, i'd read a book or do a puzzle. this is TV. to me it's supposed to be entertaining without much effort on behalf of the viewer.

The Wire, The Shield, Dexter. Should I go on?
I meant regular TV, not cable. Lost is still my 2nd favorite show of all time.
Old 01-22-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anybody else enjoy the nod to North By Northwest film? The scene where Locke ducks down to avoid being hit by the Nigerian plane. At least I took that as a reference to the film.

Last edited by goofee girl; 01-22-09 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timber
That would go against what Faraday said though. There is only one string and it can't be changed. I don't think they're handling it like Back to the Future.
I don't really trust Faraday though. Obviously something has gone wrong with the island moving process and Ben was suspiciously silent on whether Locke was really dead.

Plus Ben hinted about Jack leaving behind this life. Possibly alluding to the end of this timeline.
Old 01-22-09, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
Yes, yes I did. Speaking of which. Did anyone else cover the bottom of their screen with their hands to avoid seeing the guest stars during the credits?
Yes! I do that for every episode, actually. Those credits spoiled something for me once (I don't remember what) and I've been doing it ever since.
Old 01-22-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

also, i've gotta chuckle at all the time travel stuff. on Lost, it's ground breaking and revolutionary. on Heroes it's the mark of lazy writers and sloppy plots.

not that i don't think the time travel in lost is done better, but it still makes me laugh.
Old 01-22-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
[Arzt]It's Alpert! A-L-P-E-R-T[/Arzt]
Right Right .....

Same difference ....
Old 01-22-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
also, i've gotta chuckle at all the time travel stuff. on Lost, it's ground breaking and revolutionary. on Heroes it's the mark of lazy writers and sloppy plots.

not that i don't think the time travel in lost is done better, but it still makes me laugh.
I don't understand your comparison. Heroes exploits the butterfly effect theory, something Lost abandons all together. That alone makes all the difference to me, doesn't make me laugh at all, but it makes me pretty happy.
Old 01-22-09, 08:33 PM

So... the compass Locke acquired. Could this be the item that belonged to him? The one he should of chosen when tested as a child? Could this be the same compass from the lost Via Dominus video game?
Old 01-22-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I havn't played the game but the compass was sitting on the table when Richard tested him as a child. I'm sure it will be dwelved into further in one way or another.
Old 01-22-09, 09:32 PM

Favorite moment:

Old 01-22-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
Favorite moment:
I love the little "Did you just throw a hot pocket at me?" squint that Ben gives him.

Jim Gaffigan would be proud.
Old 01-22-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite part was Hurley's mom asking about the dead Pakistani.
Old 01-22-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
I don't understand your comparison. Heroes exploits the butterfly effect theory, something Lost abandons all together. That alone makes all the difference to me, doesn't make me laugh at all, but it makes me pretty happy.
I totally agree. It's not a fair comparison because Heroes allows the characters to change the future anytime they want--and then unlike a story like Back to the Future, they completely mess up the continuity.

In Lost, they quickly established that this wasn't what they were going to do by following the "single string effect."

At first, I thought they were going to have the characters change the future. When Locke found that plane, I thought he was going to dislodge it, thus making it fall, and suddenly Boone would be alive since it didn't hurt him in the future. But I was very pleased that they didn't go there and it looks like they won't.

I trust Faraday's explanation in this instance, because I think it's the writer's way of cluing the audience into the fact that this isn't the kind of time travel you're used to, and they're not going to be messing with timelines in that way. (Which, by the way, on Lost would be a complete and fatal mess.)
Old 01-22-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I don't get is, why in the first hour did only Juliet, Sawyer, and Faraday's gang go to the hatch? What were Bernard, Rose, Frogurt and the rest doing? Or are we to assume that they came along but were standing off screen?

One thing no one's commented on is that Mrs. Hawking had a Foucault pendulum in her vault. This is a pendulum that swings from a point rather than a on pivot like in a clock. To an observer on Earth, its appears to rotate as it swings (once every 24 hours at the poles, longer as you approach the equator) but in actuality it maintains the same direction in space and while the Earth rotates.

Now, what's significant about the Foucault pendulum is that Umberto Eco wrote a novel about conspiracy theories in which the heroes became convinced that if they placed a certain map under a Foucault pendulum, the point at which all the swings cross will mark the location of the Holy Grail.

And here's Mrs. Hawking using just such a pendulum as part of her calculations for locating the island.
Old 01-23-09, 12:00 AM

Wow...just wow. This thing has really grown since the end of the show last night.

Eek.

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I am still quite unsure as to the obsession people have over the four-toed statue. We have many statues created during our time of creatures and people who are unreal (i.e. gargoyles, etc.).

It is entirely possible that the statue is simply something of that nature. An homage to the "gods" that the original island natives worshipped, or a subsidiary of that thought.

Of course, all this could be easily be refuted if either Lindelof or Cuse have mentioned in the past that the statue will play into the remaining story.
I think the rest of the 4-toed statue is hopping through time. Sometimes, you can see the whole thing.

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 01-23-09 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Here is my detail that I think I "figured out". No real importance to anything but...

I think Dharma use polar bears to move the island before. Clues: Cold area for the frozen donkey wheel, and when we first meet Charlotte she is in the desert finding a polar bear skeleton with a Dharma collar.

Thinking back, Ben turns the wheel and pops up in the desert, so why not a bear? It would save someone from having to leave the island.

Just a thought.
This has been all but proven, especially since Mr. Friendly said the bears were in the Sawyer cages learning how to manipulate levers and the like.
Old 01-23-09, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by aegean2007
that baby looks asian to me. Does anybody else think so?
+1
Old 01-23-09, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by goofee girl
Did anybody else enjoy the nod to North By Northwest film? The scene where Locke ducks down to avoid being hit by the Nigerian plane. At least I took that as a reference to the film.
I hated the plane part. Is it just me, or is the plane yellow? It sure as fuck didn't look yellow in the sun, it looked silver.
Old 01-23-09, 12:03 AM

Yet, Richard and the Others were in close proximity to John when Ben "moved" the island. They were no where to be found when John was walking around the same area in the past!

It is very likely that Richard and the others, possibly even Jin, are on the island in it's new location in the present time. They are not moving through time for some reason. If they were Richard would just stay with Locke. That is why we don't see them unless the losties flash into the present.

I have a feeling that they will only run into Jin in the present, as the freighter was too far away from the island to be affected.
This is one part that's really bugging me, as well. I don't get why just the losties are moving. If that was the case, why the hell is Juliet with them?

Another thing: If they moved the island, but the island isn't moving, it's the losties, then where the hell did the island go???

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 01-23-09 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 12:31 AM

It's quite possible that the entire coffin thing was staged to get the six back to the island. In that case, Ben had people prepared to help him out. Using the fake name for Locke, and that area chosen for the wake, insured that no one from Widmore's camp figured out what Ben was up to.

My assumption here is that Ben knew what was going to happen the last time he spoke to Locke. This may even explain his apology for being a pain to John. He knew John would die, or that he would need John's help to get people back to the island. Richard claimed Locke would have to "die" to save the island so if Richard knew what was going on without speaking to Ben, it is possible Ben knew what would happen all along.

It is a possibility that Ben is tricking the six to get everyone on the island and away from Widmore hence "saving the island".
I want Locke to be alive like everyone else. (Incidentally, I think he IS alive, but I don't think Ben organized it, even if he's aware of it.)

I think the rival factions are not what they appear to be when talking of the ones who want/don't want the O6 to come back. Ben knows he's not supposed to ever return to the island, but I think he ALSO knows that the O6 need to return to stop time from unraveling. So, he's taking advantage of that for his own purposes, as always, and trying to 'tag along' for the ride and sneak in. Notice Locke did NOT go to Ben for help or tell Ben he had to or even should, return. Ben just showed up at the funeral and took charge. We believe this because Ben said the last time he saw Locke was on the island. He could be lying, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

Now...I don't think Widmore is that great, either. I think both men are trying to exploit the island. However, I believe Ben is better poised to screw over the O6, and I DEFINITELY think he'll be dead by the end of season 6 and probably before he gets a chance to get on the island. That, or his presence will screw things up and they'll have to take him out. If Desmond doesn't first.

IRT Hurley: I like how he always makes the bonehead move because of friendship. He chose to go to the huts b/c of Charlie, chose to leave the island, then chose to turn himself in to the cops because of Sayid...man, this guy cannot make a good decision.

Even the ghosts can't agree, because Ana Lucia told Hurley to get back to the island, but Claire said not to. Ben and Sayid had a falling out, because he was visibly scared when he heard Sayid was with Jack, and thought Jack would be swayed not to return anymore. I think it would be hard to convince them all to come back if Ben told them they would never be able to leave again. Also, is that their fate?? They REALLY have to be stuck on the island for the rest of their lives?!? Teh suck, if that's the ending.

Finally, everything was lost off my hard drive when it crashed...anyone still have that pic of Sawyer jumping from the chopper with the word BAIL!!! flashing on it? That thing made me piss my pants.
Old 01-23-09, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

interesting theory i read in a lost thread over at shacknews:
to fix the island skipping in time (every 108 minutes) faraday is the one that ends up inventing the computer setup with 'the button" that desmond ends up having to push every 108 minutes to save the world. i thought that was a pretty interesting idea.
Old 01-23-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but it appears in the Lost universe, you can't change the past. So Dan sets up the computer system but it still blows up and the island still ends up skipping through time.
Old 01-23-09, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
Favorite moment:

That was freaking hilarious. I also noticed that Hugo forgot to heat it in the crisping sleeve.
Old 01-23-09, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That was freaking hilarious. I also noticed that Hugo forgot to heat it in the crisping sleeve.
I just watched this a few minutes ago and I was thinking the same thing. Maybe because I'm fucking hungry.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.