Fringe -- "Bound" -- 1/20/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fringe -- "Bound" -- 1/20/09

Old 01-21-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fringe -- "Bound" -- 1/20/09

Originally Posted by Nth Power
The sister seems to be a good addition to the show. She even has an odd similarity to Anna Torv.
The wife and I were thinking it could be her sister in real life.
Old 01-21-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate Ari Graynor, so I was kind of sad to see her as the sister but she does have similarities to Anna Torv so it makes sense. Great episode though. Very intrigued by what Loeb said and I thought the pacing was great (even if it was blatantly obvious this was a 'Hey, you can jump into the series here' episode with all the in story 'recap' style exposition.)
Old 01-21-09, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
That was the longest cold open in the history of television.
I think Alias probably beat that a few times. In fact this whole episode reminded me of Alias. There was even a recap show in it's first season called "Q & A" (that was better executed IMO). It was a very good episode nonetheless.
Old 01-21-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely a great episode. This quickly moved from watch it during the week if you remember to DVR it, to Season Pass, to watch it live on Tuesday so you can talk about it the next day.
Old 01-21-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did they show Loeb's face before when he had the tentacle around his organ? (Yeah that sounds likes hentai)
Old 01-21-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good episode.

Walter was great as usual.
Old 01-21-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so did the observer make an appearance in the episode or was he too busy watching the Eagles beat the Giants
Old 01-21-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess AI gave it a good bump in the ratings. That's a good thing.
Old 01-21-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Guess AI gave it a good bump in the ratings. That's a good thing.
Does that mean that there was a large number of housewives and preteen girls who said to themselves "Hey ... let's give this 'Fringe' show a chance"? And were properly horrified by seeing slugs burst out of people's mouths

This episode was one of the better ones as far as pacing and suspense. I just hope the producers have a plan thought out for where things go, and aren't just winging it on a weekly basis.

I know it doesn't matter much (as far as entertainment is concerned), but as a real-life scientist I get a laugh out of how awful the science is. Especially when the show is trying to be serious (with the exception of Walter's madness) and impress the audience with how brilliant its characters are. If there was ever a budget line for a Scientific Consultant, one of the producers must've used it for a new car or something.
Old 01-21-09, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess I should have stuck w/ it instead of deleting it (and removing the season pass... again) I turned it off at the scene in which the guy who she charged for a crime was put in charge of oversight of her project/team (just seemed to be way to contrived of a story point for me to swallow). I also have to admit I lost track of the show entirely and things just weren't "clicking" for me. I figure once the DVD set is out I'll rent it then and watch it at one go.
Old 01-21-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Glad they came back by making a big step and snagging Loeb.

I love this cast.
Old 01-22-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nemein
Guess I should have stuck w/ it instead of deleting it (and removing the season pass... again) I turned it off at the scene in which the guy who she charged for a crime was put in charge of oversight of her project/team (just seemed to be way to contrived of a story point for me to swallow). I also have to admit I lost track of the show entirely and things just weren't "clicking" for me. I figure once the DVD set is out I'll rent it then and watch it at one go.
I didn't much care for that either, but it seems they may have used that as a mechanism to "recap" the show for new viewers.
Old 01-22-09, 08:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there is something about quirky smart men in tv series taht gets me all hot and bothered... i think peter is ridiculously delicious and hodgins from bones is equally as scrumptious, although neither one of them is my typical man...

fringe fan from the start--my hubby despises the show but will watch it purely for olivia
Old 01-22-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Does that mean that there was a large number of housewives and preteen girls who said to themselves "Hey ... let's give this 'Fringe' show a chance"? And were properly horrified by seeing slugs burst out of people's mouths

This episode was one of the better ones as far as pacing and suspense. I just hope the producers have a plan thought out for where things go, and aren't just winging it on a weekly basis.

I know it doesn't matter much (as far as entertainment is concerned), but as a real-life scientist I get a laugh out of how awful the science is. Especially when the show is trying to be serious (with the exception of Walter's madness) and impress the audience with how brilliant its characters are. If there was ever a budget line for a Scientific Consultant, one of the producers must've used it for a new car or something.
I live with a Scientist too and hear those same complaints.
I really enjoyed this episode. They got the character dynmics down and have livened Olivia up a bit.
Old 01-22-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Post Idol slot, the land of milk and honey.

Want to push a show? put it on after idol for a year or two, by then it will be getting consistant ratings..then you can farm it out to other nights.

This show has quickly become my favorite new show of the year, and for me, Fox owns me Monday and Tuesday nights with a solid four hour block.
Old 01-22-09, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I lurves me some "Fringe".

It's like Alias, Lost and the X-Files all mixed together....which is good in my book.
I agree with that, and a great mixture for me, those are 3 of my favorite shows of all-time.

I love Fringe, very glad its back, didn't have time to watch the last episode before the break again before this one, was hoping for a recap at the beginning, ah well I'll watch it before next Tuesday.

Loved this episode, can't wait to see what happens the rest of the season.
Old 01-22-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
so did the observer make an appearance in the episode or was he too busy watching the Eagles beat the Giants
Wiki says he walks pass a bicycle rack at Harvard Univ. when Olivia gets out of her SUV. I don't remember that.
Old 01-23-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that they didn't go the way of Olivia-has-been-abducted-let's-spend-the-entire-episode-looking-for-her and that the capture of Loeb also happened in the same ep.
Old 01-25-09, 09:52 PM

Haha......love how Walter is not-so-subtly to us trying to play matchmaker.

There are tons of stupid parts about this show, though, where you have to suspend disbelief:

- Interrogation-wise, there's NO WAY she'd be left alone with the Colonel from Generation Kill. Or even be allowed to interrogate him. Especially since Obiddlyama signed the Interrogation policy saying ALL have to stay in accordance with Army FM 2-22.3

- Why, when he shook the Cold Dust into the glass, did only ONE grow? Even if every grain of dust is just ONE virus, still multiple super-sized viruses would be ingested and exposed to the stomach acid.

- Are you telling me no one would bother to check the glass for prints? Nice detective work, douche-bags. Good luck solving this 'big mystery' when you can't even get a single murder solved with all the relevant evidence in the same room.

- As others have said, there's no way that Sex Offender would ever SEE Olivia again, much less be put in charge of her section.
Old 01-25-09, 09:57 PM

Ohp, just remembered this one:

-Why wouldn't they check Olivia's Spinal Tap out and try to figure out what the fuck was going on with her? Not even a medical check-up with slugs poppin' out of people's faces?!? Just fucking stupid!
Old 01-27-09, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Ohp, just remembered this one:

-Why wouldn't they check Olivia's Spinal Tap out and try to figure out what the fuck was going on with her? Not even a medical check-up with slugs poppin' out of people's faces?!? Just fucking stupid!
I think they did check her out, it was a quick scene though, the convo basically ened in her saying they didnt find anything and that she was OK. She just dosent know WHY they did that to her.

BTW for those looking for The Observer this should be him:
http://www.fringe-forum.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1823

I for one was looking for him and totally missed him this episode, I thought they would put him in the classroom.

I have to say though that I liked this epidsode and still have the series on SP. I even got to hear my dear fiancee scream, thats right kick their @$$ in the break out opening scene.

The only bad thing is that this show is going on another ~7 week hiatus soon but the GOOD thing is that they will be back....If anything these breaks are KILLING this show...Luckily the ratings seemed pretty much on par with before the break ratings with a slight bump from the Ai lead in. Will be interesting to see how it goes in the future are this was not the most "friendly" episode.

I ahve to say though I think it was smart of them to have the long opening....Just long enough to suck people in and have them say "might as well watch the rest" .
Old 01-30-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I was a little underwhelmed by this after the strong finsh to '08. I suppose it was nice that they didn't drag out the capture, but I was looking forward to the momentum continuing from the end of the previous episode.

I did enjoy Walter going on about how Peter missed Olivia. Cute and funny.

I also enjoyed the ending, because as much as you thought that guy was the bad guy and a creep now you sit there and have to wonder if you just the carpet pulled out from under you!