Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did "The Sarah Silverman Program" get cancelled?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Did "The Sarah Silverman Program" get cancelled?

Old 03-03-09, 02:15 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Did "The Sarah Silverman Program" get cancelled?

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Good! CC still has the sting from Chapelle on their hands (even though I hated it). Glad to see Sarah back.
I wonder what kind of state Comedy Central would have been in these days had Chapelle not bolted and they actually had to pay him the gigantic sums of money they offered. Granted, Chappelle had a pretty big audience, but still, the cost of his deal would have probably put CC in an even worse place than they are now.
Old 03-03-09, 02:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems that the problem is the quirky stuff - the "animated sequences and musical numbers". Personally I could care less if they cut that because it's my least favorite element of the show (I enjoy it mainly for Silverman's crude, arrogant, psychotic persona) but I respect their position in wanting to stick to their guns.
Old 03-03-09, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090303/tv_nm/us_silverman

Gay TV channel saving "Sarah Silverman"

By Nellie Andreeva
2 hrs 23 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "The Sarah Silverman Program" will be back for a third season on Comedy Central, following the resolution of four-day day standoff over planned budget cuts.

The cable channel has ordered a 10-episode season of its signature live-action series, which will now be co-financed with gay-oriented sister cable network Logo.

"We're happy," Silverman said. "All we ever wanted was just to make our show. Nothing fancy -- just our show."

It's a happy ending to a drama that threatened to make "Sarah Silverman" the first major primetime casualty of the economic crisis after the cable network was forced to slash the budget of the series by more that 20% and its executive producers refused to continue at those terms.

"Things were tough on Friday and over the weekend," said Comedy Central's president of original programing Lauren Corrao, who headed the network's efforts to keep "Sarah Silverman" on the air. "We very much wanted the show, we just couldn't come to an agreement for a budget that was acceptable and uncompromising to the producers and that we could afford."

Like every other entertainment company, Comedy Central's Viacom parent has imposed companywide belt-tightening measures. As a result, Comedy central proposed picking up "Sarah Silverman" at an $850,000-per-episode budget for Season 3, down from $1.1 million for Season 2.

Concerned that the drastic reduction won't allow them to keep the integrity of the single-camera comedy, which incorporates animation and musical numbers, Silverman and her fellow executive producers Dan Sterling, Ron Schrab and Heidi Herzon declined the offer.

In a surprising twist, Corrao came up with the idea early on Monday to share "Sarah Silverman" with another Logo, which caters to gay, lesbian and transgender viewers.

She called former Comedy Central executive Marc Leonard, now a senior exec at Logo.

After discussing the idea for several hours, Logo's brass called up their Comedy Central counterparts to tell them they wanted to be part of the show.

Details on how the financial responsibility and the window sharing will be divided between the two partners are still being worked out, but sources said with the combined financing, "Sarah Silverman" will have a budget a tad higher than last season's $1.1 million per episode.

Logo has run Comedy Central shows before, including animated series "Drawn Together," but this the first time the two networks are involved in co-financing a series together.

In broadcast TV, NBC made a similar arrangement with DirecTV last year to bring back critically praised but low-rated drama "Friday Night Lights."

Logo is looking to capitalize on Silverman's strong appeal among women and gay men. Additionally, two of the main characters on the show, Sarah's neighbors Brian (Brian Posehn) and Steve (Steve Agee), are a gay couple.

Logo aired two episodes of "Sarah Silverman" in the summer as part of its NewNowNext awards show weekend when the Comedy Central series won in the best show you're not watching, beating such heavy hitters as AMC's "Mad Men."

"Sarah Silverman's" writing team is expected to begin work shortly. The show's third season, which will get a cross-promotional support on both Comedy Central and Logo, is eyed for a premiere in the first quarter of 2010.

The story started off as a possible grim example of the effects of the deep recession on high-end primetime series.

But in the end, "It was all about our love for Sarah and the show, which we couldn't allow to get off the air, and about getting as creative as possible with financing in the tough economic environment," Corrao said.

(Editing by Dean Goodman at Reuters)
Chris
Old 03-03-09, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Very interesting.
Old 03-03-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to smoke pot with Sarah Silverman.

For now, I guess I'll keep watching the show.
Old 03-04-09, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

oh come on Logo?? wonder how much of the raunch they'll let fly, Logo censors more than Comedy Central does.
Old 03-04-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
oh come on Logo?? wonder how much of the raunch they'll let fly, Logo censors more than Comedy Central does.
It will still be airing first on CC. Kind of like how G4 is airing Lost and Heroes after their original broadcasts.
Old 03-04-09, 01:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
It will still be airing first on CC. Kind of like how G4 is airing Lost and Heroes after their original broadcasts.

oh good, was worried there for a sec.
Old 03-04-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Up and down second season, but yay to more dry sheets, ice cream, and jelly beans!

Originally Posted by Giles
oh good, was worried there for a sec.
Was also thinking they struck a deal similar to the DirecTV/FNL airings.
Old 11-26-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
I really want to smoke pot with Sarah Silverman.

For now, I guess I'll keep watching the show.
So do I. When does this come back??
Old 11-26-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
so do i. When does this come back??
02/04/10
Old 11-26-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you.
Old 05-13-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE: Yes.

Sarah Silverman's show axed by Comedy Central

NEW YORK (AP) - On her Comedy Central show, Sarah Silverman got drunk on cough syrup, mocked the abortion rights debate and seduced none other than God.

That's all over now.

The network says "The Sarah Silverman Program," which recently ended its third outrageous season, won't be back for a fourth.

Inspired by Silverman's persona as a standup comic, the scripted show featured her as a flighty, self-consumed slacker living in the fictional town of Valley Village.

Audience erosion was deemed the main reason for canceling the show.
Old 05-13-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's too bad. It was one show that constantly kept me guessing and laughing. I especially loved the one where Brian and Steve make a baby.
Old 05-13-10, 01:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I haven't seen any of Season 3, and only about half of Season 2, but I did really enjoy the show.

Loved the Tab episode.
Old 05-13-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Up and down second season, but yay to more dry sheets, ice cream, and jelly beans!

Was also thinking they struck a deal similar to the DirecTV/FNL airings.
I just watched that video and I don't see how it was funny or even amusing. I guess I feel the same way about it that many people feel about Tim & Eric (which I really liked).
Old 05-13-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Sad, since it was great all three seasons. I hope this isn't a bad sign for Important Things.
Old 05-13-10, 02:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I just watched that video and I don't see how it was funny or even amusing. I guess I feel the same way about it that many people feel about Tim & Eric (which I really liked).
All three season sets on sale for $10 each at BB this week. Finally picked them up.
Old 05-13-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

That's too bad. I thought it was a really funny show with great writing. I usually didn't care as much for the Sarah Silverman parts, but the supporting cast was always really good.
Old 05-13-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
All three season sets on sale for $10 each at BB this week. Finally picked them up.
I've got them already. Just waiting for the 4th and 5th (Final ) season to be released.
Old 05-13-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Hopefully the closing of this door opens another: "Big, Orange, and Gay: The Brian and Steve Show."
Old 05-13-10, 02:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I enjoyed most of the first season (the one with the fart in the car was classic), but bailed out early on the dreadful season 2 and never looked back
Old 05-13-10, 04:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

i couldn't even find it on CC this year. think it kept getting bumped by Ugly Americans. then saw some listings on LOGO and thought they picked it up which i could see. honestly, i kinda got bored with the 2<sup>nd</sup> season.
Old 05-13-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Wow this reminds me that I did not watch season 3 at all. Kinda forgot about it and I guess my DVR did too. Hopefully a complete series comes out.
Old 05-14-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Dan Harmon's probably happy he got fired off that show now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.